Is tournament armor only from gsc tournament?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: kristof.7182

kristof.7182

Sorry for short title – max 45 characters.
“Is tournament armor only from exclusive tournament?”.

http://imgur.com/a/vYB2O
Are they accessible in “normal” tournaments (in-game solo/team) or only in exclusive tournaments like Gamescom or International All-Stars Tournament? I’m not complaing. I’m happy about armors only for PvP players but it’s first medium armor that isn’t trench coat (or without skirt) and it’ll be very exclusive…

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

They better make a reasonable way to obtain this armor in-game or this will be very unfair to 99% of the playerbase. You can’t just take the time to develop an armor just to give to a handful of players. This is Mr. Sparkles all over again… Nobody likes exclusives except the microscopic portion of the player base that actually has the means to receive them.

Edit: Found this on the website.
“For now, this armor set will only be available to our All-Star competitors, but in the future we’ll be opening up more opportunities for players to win the right to wear this prestigious set. " https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/your-vote-decides-the-guildwars2-international-all-stars-teams/

Still very unfair.

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

(edited by Aguri.2896)

Posted by: Rolyate.6753

Rolyate.6753

The whole point is that they’re exclusive in order to reward certain individuals and spark competition.

Rolyate
How do you pronounce your name?

kristof.7182

@Aguri.2896
Eh, thank you.

I’ll never get my dream team with people with life, without toxic people and without 24h/7 play…

I thought we can get them as achievement reward (for example: “Win 500 solo tournaments”).

And I don’t like this: “but in the future”. I prefer “soon” (this year) than “in the future” (one day).

Thank you

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I don’t mind the idea of skill-based exclusive items.

However, don’t hold the 1st decent medium skirts hostage like that! =p

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

“For now, this armor set will only be available to our All-Star competitors, but in the future we’ll be opening up more opportunities for players to win the right to wear this prestigious set. " https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/your-vote-decides-the-guildwars2-international-all-stars-teams/

Still very unfair.

How is that any more unfair than forcing people to do dungeons in order to get dungeon armor for quite some time?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Aguri.2896

Still very unfair.

How is that any more unfair than forcing people to do dungeons in order to get dungeon armor for quite some time?

Because tournaments only happen once in a blue moon and require you to not only be good at PvP, but for your team to be good at it too. Dungeons are always in the game and it usually only takes 10-30 minutes to complete a dungeon. You can also get dungeon armor through spamming hot joins in PvP if you really don’t want to do a dungeon.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

@Aguri.2896
Eh, thank you.

I’ll never get my dream team with people with life, without toxic people and without 24h/7 play…

I thought we can get them as achievement reward (for example: “Win 500 solo tournaments”).

And I don’t like this: “but in the future”. I prefer “soon” (this year) than “in the future” (one day).

Thank you

If they had said ‘soon’, it would not be a less amount of time than ‘in the future’. In fact, it is likely the other way ‘round. Soon = When it’s ready. ; )

I will never be able to obtain this armor (I don’t care for PvP in the least), and I am happy to see those that put so much effort into learning their Profession and this game to get some exclusive rewards. The poor PvP players missed out on so much that was exclusive to PvE in the past.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

lordkrall.7241

Because tournaments only happen once in a blue moon and require you to not only be good at PvP, but for your team to be good at it too. Dungeons are always in the game and it usually only takes 10-30 minutes to complete a dungeon. You can also get dungeon armor through spamming hot joins in PvP if you really don’t want to do a dungeon.

And the very thing you quoted did make it sound like you will be able to get them in the future without joining Tournaments. So how is it any different?
Most dungeons does not take 10-30 minutes to complete, and even if they would it takes a rather high number in order to get a full set of armor.

And it was added to sPvP rather long after release, so why was it not unfair before that, but now that the things are specific for PvP it is super-unfair even before it is released?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Lue.6538

Lue.6538

And the very thing you quoted did make it sound like you will be able to get them in the future without joining Tournaments. So how is it any different?
Most dungeons does not take 10-30 minutes to complete, and even if they would it takes a rather high number in order to get a full set of armor.

And it was added to sPvP rather long after release, so why was it not unfair before that, but now that the things are specific for PvP it is super-unfair even before it is released?

Actually, the way it was worded: "we’ll be opening up more opportunities for players to win the right to wear this prestigious set. "

It sounds more like it is going to be the reward for other tournaments, rather than through some other method.

lordkrall.7241

Actually, the way it was worded: "we’ll be opening up more opportunities for players to win the right to wear this prestigious set. "

It sounds more like it is going to be the reward for other tournaments, rather than through some other method.

I suppose that is a matter of opinion.
I read it as it will, some time in the future, be available in other ways.

But time will tell.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I don’t mind some exclusivity, honestly.

This is a reward for PVPers. Let them have some way to denote that they are high level, skilled players in their game mode. In GW1 the Hero title served that purpose for hard core pvpers. There really weren’t a heck of a lot of r15s when my playing tapered off. Maybe there are now, but I haven’t hung out in HoH in some time. Right now this armor is exclusive to their All-Star Game, and I feel this is an excellent reward in lieu of an actual monetary reward. Anet has stated that they will open up other ways to obtain this armor at a later time. They specifically mentioned other tournaments, so it will likely remain a pvp only reward, and that is fine.

In GW1, GvG had its own specialized reward as well. The top guild had a gold border for their cape, 2nd has silver, and 3rd had bronze. No one else had that, only those guilds, and it was perfectly fine.

The precedent for mode specific rewards exists, and there is nothing wrong with mode specific rewards. They are there to entice you to play those modes. To spend time and get good at them so you can earn those rewards. They need to have some of these types of rewards for every mode (not just pvp).

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Aguri.2896

If you do a speed run they do. Heck, most of the time you can go in with any random bunch of players and still come out in under 30 mins. It must be true because I can do 10 dungeons in 3 hours and I am not running with maxed out dps groups, nor am I maxed out either.

Back on topic though, it very much sounds like it is going to be from other tournaments. Even if they do add a reasonable method to obtain later, it’s making the game feel more exclusive and elitist and that’s unfair. Especially a game like GW2 which seems to be built around fairness and playing casually at your own pace. Most people throw their reflects up at the start of the fight rather than waiting for the attack they are supposed to be reflecting. I just want the chance to experience everything GW2 has to offer without having to worry about whether I can get into a team with people serious enough to take on the challenge.

To put it simply, it’s a video game not football and people need to stop making it out to be.

Posted by: Lue.6538

Lue.6538

I suppose that is a matter of opinion.
I read it as it will, some time in the future, be available in other ways.

But time will tell.

A matter of interpretation you mean? But look at it like this, I’ll quote the whole thing this time:

“For now, this armor set will only be available to our All-Star competitors, but in the future we’ll be opening up more opportunities for players to win the right to wear this prestigious set. "

“The armor is currently availible from tournament 1 but there will be more chances to ‘win’ the sets further down the line.”

That to me says: This tournament is not the only tournament that will have them as rewards.

That aside tho, it is a shame that they finally make a decent looking armor and they put it behind a gate that only a handful of people will have a chance at getting through.

lordkrall.7241

Back on topic though, it very much sounds like it is going to be from other tournaments. Even if they do add a reasonable method to obtain later, it’s making the game feel more exclusive and elitist and that’s unfair. Especially a game like GW2 which seems to be built around fairness and playing casually at your own pace. Most people throw their reflects up at the start of the fight rather than waiting for the attack they are supposed to be reflecting. I just want the chance to experience everything GW2 has to offer without having to worry about whether I can get into a team with people serious enough to take on the challenge.

To put it simply, it’s a video game not football and people need to stop making it out to be.

But why was it okay to have stuff locked behind dungeons and completely impossible to get without doing said dungeons for more than a year?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

kristof.7182

Why are you talking about dungeons? You need to grind it and you don’t need any skills, only time and PUG.

I can’t do this with tournaments. And I’m not talking about “normal” tournaments. One-in-year tournament or International Tournament isn’t easy to win. You need great team with pro PvP players, skills and lucky.

And it’s not fair because it’s TOO exclusive. I hope we’ll get this armor very soon. Just like Llama finisher (first it was a reward for tournament players, isn’t?)

Posted by: Burnham.2613

Burnham.2613

But why was it okay to have stuff locked behind dungeons and completely impossible to get without doing said dungeons for more than a year?

Dungeons are accessible to anyone. The hurdle to obtain the gear isn’t impossible for anyone to accomplish, and it really isn’t that high. Being an “All-Star” PvP player is impossible for the majority of the player base to accomplish because by definition, not everyone can be one. Only the best of the best are considered as such and the number that is considered is very limited. There is a huge difference between the two things you are trying to compare. It’s an apples to oranges thing.

That said I’m personally fine with this. I understand why others are upset about it and they have every right to be. It just doesn’t bother me personally.

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

Yeah, I like exclusivity, but I think this was a little too far. Something like a legendary or other high valued skin that is obtainable in other ways would have been cool, or simply gems.

I think the Liadri mini/title and the SAB tribulation skins were a good balance between exclusivity and fairness. The SAB skins especially in the way they were easily accessible in the default skins, and then had different colours for harder difficulty. It’s just a shame that these aren’t available all year round, as they’re so well implemented otherwise.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

This game is in need of exclusive armor,as of now every idiot can wear what the previous idiot was wearing without having to do kitten for it.Tbh the armor doesn’t even look that good.Espec the heavy norn is just fugly yet again….like most armors they “design” for heavy norns.
“Make it big,Make it Bulky..Now slap some oversized floating pauldrons on there,and youre done”. – Anet style.

Posted by: Hybrid.7059

Hybrid.7059

I think of these exclusive armors as the same as the GW1 gold trim capes. I can’t help but feel that top players should have certain exclusive things (legendaries are just kinda meh at this point given how many people have them) that the majority of the player base can’t have access to. I guess they can do exclusive titles but that doesn’t really stick out visually.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

meh I hate this kind of exclusivity….

But I’m happy they plan to add more ways to obtain it.

People need to realize that Guild Wars 2 isn’t that kind of game. Where you have super exclusive stuff that only the leetest of the leet can wear.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

One is NOT entitled to everything in the game just by owning it. I haven’t completed more than a single dungeon in this game (lol cof) and thus will never see any dungeon skins besides that. There are certain runes I’ll never have.

It’s just another skin to me which provides very little if any concrete benefit. This isn’t about elitism. Elitism would be like true gear gates where entire swaths of content is only accessible to the top level of players and non-l33t people aren’t allowed; kinda like elitist speedruns but actively enforced by the game itself. Vertical progression and the endless gear treadmill, for example, is something that materially affects gameplay, and thus worthy of discussion and concern.

Hell, and I’m the type that would rather be no levels at all, yet I sort of have to deal with the fact that most endgame content requires level 80 and thus locks you out effectively if not. I would consider myself not liking elitism or exclusion very much. So deal with it.

You want it, you go for it. If you don’t go for it, then you don’t want it.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Allaraina.8614

Allaraina.8614

Yeah, I like exclusivity, but I think this was a little too far. Something like a legendary or other high valued skin that is obtainable in other ways would have been cool, or simply gems.

I think the Liadri mini/title and the SAB tribulation skins were a good balance between exclusivity and fairness. The SAB skins especially in the way they were easily accessible in the default skins, and then had different colours for harder difficulty. It’s just a shame that these aren’t available all year round, as they’re so well implemented otherwise.

I tend to agree.

Although honestly, I’m totally down with this if anet adds a lot more stuff in the game that fits inbetween the two extremes. More dungeon armor, a SAB armor set, more stuff like SAB, maybe a jumping puzzle armor set from something like the Mad King’s Clock Tower? I dunno, just throwing stuff out there. I like the idea of adventuring and working towards the shiny things I want with them still in some sort of reach. At the moment I feel like we have too much that is incredibly easy to get and a few things that are very very very hard for the bulk of people. More stuff in the middle please (gemstore =\= the middle).

My 18 characters are waiting for outfits from GW1 like Tuxedos! WE GOT DWAYNA! =D
http://asuratime.tumblr.com/