Isn't it time to start talking about content patches?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: QSatu.1586

QSatu.1586

It’s been 1 month since release. If ANet wants to keep saying how they can compete with p2p mmos it’s time to start talking about 1st content patch. I doubt anyone will take them seriously if they will wait 3 months for 1st patch.

Posted by: Zzulu.5489

Zzulu.5489

Haha, Dream on.

Posted by: melkathi.5203

melkathi.5203

No it’s not time for that yet. First they need to get all those DEs working so people can actually enjoy the existing content.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

NO.
Performance and bugfix patching phase still. Maybe start worrying next year about that.

Polish > hype

Posted by: someshta.3809

someshta.3809

And you wonder why the mmo crowd’s appetite is never sated. Here is the craziness folks, for all to see.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

roughly THREE WEEKS after launch? I doubt your doubts are taken seriously by anyone who has the slightest idea about game development.

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

not only is gw2 competing with p2p mmo’s, it’s probably #1 currently and will remain so for a while. once they get the content patches rolling, there’s nothing stopping them.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

Posted by: Kindstrike.1962

Kindstrike.1962

I say NAY to the powelevelers. Let them focus on fixes and balance.

I can expect to wait as long as 3 months before seeing new content in a mmo. 3 months is how long it takes for 90% of the players to get to the point you are at.

Posted by: Twaddlefish.6537

Twaddlefish.6537

Christ, no. There’s absolutely no need, the game is massive as it is.

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

I wouldn’t mind seeing more areas to explore, regardless of level. I also know there are some who would like larger party instances. But before they add all that new stuff, I’d just like them to fix the leftover bugs in the game. They are doing a good job so far of getting things done.

Posted by: alfista.6094

alfista.6094

No one will take you seriously if you think it’s possible to make any decent content in such a short time with the amount of work they have on their hands.

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Seriously? O-o
I feel like I haven’t even scratched the surface yet.
I am good for at least a couple of months before an update.
Let them perfect what they have now, let the player base settle down- we still have free server transfers for goodness sake!

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

They should first fix stuff that is currently broken instead of break more with new content.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

QSatu.1586

ANet keeps saying how they are going to blow out of the water all other mmos when it comes to patches. Last time like 1 or 2 weeks ago in some interview. So yes I expect them to start talking about content patch soon b/c p2p mmos usually have their 1st one max 2 months after release. I simply expect them to live up to what they keep saying.

Posted by: Mickey.4207

Mickey.4207

And you wonder why the mmo crowd’s appetite is never sated. Here is the craziness folks, for all to see.

Umm actually it is Anet itself who has been promising loads of free content updates. So obviously players are going to expect more.

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

Posted by: joe.7684

joe.7684

I agree with all those above who say “what? No!” to the OP. It’s been only a little less than 4 weeks since headstart launch. Players are still getting the measure of everything GW2 has to offer, and we all know there are still a lot of bugs and kinks – some trivial, some serious – that ANet has to hammer out. I personally would say that early next year would be a much better time to start asking for/expecting an expansion.

Posted by: joe.7684

joe.7684

Umm actually it is Anet itself who has been promising loads of free content updates. So obviously players are going to expect more.

Quote, please. Where has ANet said they’re going to be releasing free content updates every few weeks or so, starting within a few weeks of launch? What I say is that they first need to fix the various issues – from the Malchor’s Leap skill challenge bug right on down to the tiniest sound or graphics glitch – and then it’ll be proper to start bringing out the content updates.

QSatu.1586

I’m not talking about expansion. I’m talking about content patches, like adding new de’s to existing zones. This is what ANet promised and I simply would like them to deliver.
And sorry but there will always be bugs in mmo. If you want them to fix most of them before releasing anything else you will wait for a years.

Posted by: Tirien.1326

Tirien.1326

Has anyone heard of Guild Wars ? It worked, it will work for Guild Wars 2.
Stop trying to behave like a pre-teen girl (Waaaam, Waaaam, i want!)

You are one, just accept that. Now… Let them work on the things that are “broken” atm, before going on to other ventures.

Is it so hard for people to think for themselves today?

Mickey.4207

Joe where did i say anything about few weeks from release? did i? i am simply stating that players excitement and expectation goes high once company starts promising a lot of content updates.

So yes players would expect more content.

Also OP said it is time to start ‘talking’ about content updates. He said no where he wants it now. You people just don’t even read and start bashing the poor guy.

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

So, OP, you’ve ran every dungeon in all explorable modes, have 100% map completion, have gone through every personal story possible, have done wvwvw and spvp to the point they’re boring AND have time to post on the forums.. in just one month?kitten. I’m impressed.. why don’t you go take a break, you deserve it ;-) I only say all that because that’s what it would take for me to ASK for new content.. I can only imagine what would drive me to demand it…

Slow down and smell the pixels.

Mickey.4207

Am i the only one who read OP before hitting reply button? he said he wants to ‘talk’ about content patches means he simply needs more communication. That is somehow getting translated to ‘i want it now’ by fans.

Posted by: Smackjack.5071

Smackjack.5071

LOL i concur

QSatu.1586

Am i the only one who read OP before hitting reply button? he said he wants to ‘talk’ about content patches means he simply needs more communication. That is somehow getting translated to ‘i want it now’ by fans.

Don’t bother. most people apparently don’t bother to read. I’m not even going to argue with this kind of players.

Posted by: DrixTrix.7168

DrixTrix.7168

I reckon the first few minor patches will include updates to DE’s and advance some areas and stories, and if halloween counts i reckon we’ll have something there too, not permanent but around for 2weeks maybe.

as for the first ’’real’’ content patch i would expect it to be a little while maybe in-time for the Xmas holidays as the soonest i would say and thats pushing it aswell in devoloping terms.

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

Um this has already been answered by Colin Johanson 6 days ago. He said:

No need to buy them, Gw2 will feature consistent free content updates and in-game events going forward. Our goal is to make it so you get more from Gw2 for free than you get from a game you pay a subscription for.

On top of a large amount of free bonus content, we will be expanding on offerings in the Black Lion Trading Company going forward, as well as be doing large-scale expansion content down the road.

We’ll cover a lot of the details on the kind of support and plans we have in place over the next month or so on the Gw2 blog and with our press partners.

We do appreciate that you’d like to buy lots of new content, but we’d prefer to give a lot of it to you for free, cause that’s what we think a responsible MMO company does!

From this thread:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Guild-wars-2-content-update/first

Posted by: vidiotking.1928

vidiotking.1928

If you read the OP carfefully he does say ‘it’s time to start talking about 1st content patch’.

But then he/she goes onto say ’ I doubt anyone will take them seriously if they will wait 3 months for 1st patch.’

So the OP IS expecting/wanting a content patch w/in the next 3 months.

I’ve been playing mmo’s since ‘99 w/ EQ and to tell the truth, I’m not sure if this is a reasonable expectation or not. Are we talking about a couple of DE’s and armor/weapon skins? A new dungeon? This maybe reasonable, but I don’t know.

Led Zeppelin, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Grateful Dead, & Miles Davis.

DrixTrix.7168

i think 3 months, so around Xmas holiday times? is a pretty respectable expectation i wouldnt urge anyone to expect a big update but some new DE’s or ones to replace a few, a new zone or dungeon opening perhaps im sure Anet have a plan and there are separate devolopment teams I.E. bug/fix/optimising team then a world devopoment, class etc etc as we all know so…i would say its respectable however i wouldnt put any money on it, prio at the moment is making the game stable and if people have ’’finished’’ it then thats no different from any other game on the planet.

we all play at different paces but ill use myself as an example bar a week where i was on holiday i have been playing regulary each day and im still only level 37 and definatly have not scratched the surface!

Posted by: NaughtyOne.6598

NaughtyOne.6598

as far as we know they could already have a team working on content for future patches/expansions, though I would not expect them to be complete and ready to roll out for some time yet.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

LOLOLOLOLOL – seriously? You’ve played all available content in 1 month? Map exploration, best gear, all DEs, all 8 professions (or at least 2-3)?? I doubt it. This game has so much to do it’s intimidating at low levels and still enjoyable at 80. Remember, areas scale down, so, if you missed it the 1st time around, you can have just as much fun playing through Kessex Hills at 80 as you could have at 20. People keep saying how much fun leveling is but there’s no endgame content. Isn’t the whole of Tyria potentially enjoyable because of down-scaling? I mean, sure, no leet drops, but fun just the same.
Content patch a month into launch…..I’m pretty sure Anet put in enough content for more than a month of playing, even for hardcore fanboyz.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Bugs first, new content second.

Posted by: Bhuta.1480

Bhuta.1480

After 200hrs spend in game so far I still have so much to do with the current content yet I hope it’s a while yet before any content patches happen,would rather anet concentrate on fixes and stability first.

Posted by: Josher.9612

Josher.9612

Lets fix DEs that don’t work, tweak dungeon rewards. Lets fix the Necro class and all the traits and skills that don’t function properly. By the way, there is a group thats probably been working on new content for months now. There’s content that never made it into release that’s being worked into future expansions. That’s how game design works.

DrixTrix.7168

as far as we know they could already have a team working on content for future patches/expansions, though I would not expect them to be complete and ready to roll out for some time yet.

completley, im 110% certain the first expansion is in the works already after the great reception GW2 has got so far, companies often reveal that the concept for the first maybe even the second expantion was conceieved enduring devolopment of the original tittle, ofcourse all company’s work different

callidus.7085

If you read the OP carfefully he does say ‘it’s time to start talking about 1st content patch’.

But then he/she goes onto say ’ I doubt anyone will take them seriously if they will wait 3 months for 1st patch.’

I’ve been playing mmo’s since ‘99 w/ EQ and to tell the truth, I’m not sure if this is a reasonable expectation or not. Are we talking about a couple of DE’s and armor/weapon skins? A new dungeon? This maybe reasonable, but I don’t know.

Yea, see, I read the OP as well.. it seems a lot to me like the OP isn’t just asking the community to talk about it, but saying that ANet should have one out soon and I responded as such. Granted, I was very sarcastic, but I just don’t think that a content patch should be expected so soon. If they have it out, great, if not, I really don’t mind.. something for halloween would be cool but I wouldn’t hold it against them if we didn’t see anything just yet.

Posted by: Renegadeimp.8439

Renegadeimp.8439

Fix bugs, get the game stable, THEN they can start thinking about adding content.

If you add content on top of bugs that havent been fixed, then guess what, that contents going to be bugged too.

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

What, you mean how will they ever compete with WoW’s year of Dragon Soul ?

They’ve mentioned future plans, but they have so much on their plates right now, they really need to get that taken care of first.

vidiotking.1928

Yea, see, I read the OP as well.. it seems a lot to me like the OP isn’t just asking the community to talk about it, but saying that ANet should have one out soon and I responded as such. Granted, I was very sarcastic, but I just don’t think that a content patch should be expected so soon. If they have it out, great, if not, I really don’t mind.. something for halloween would be cool but I wouldn’t hold it against them if we didn’t see anything just yet.

The point I was trying to make was directed at people who were apologizing for the OP. Some were saying the OP was just asking for a discussion regarding new content.

He WAS in fact asking for more content, and I was just pointing that out.

Posted by: Sylosi.6503

Sylosi.6503

It’s been 1 month since release. If ANet wants to keep saying how they can compete with p2p mmos it’s time to start talking about 1st content patch. I doubt anyone will take them seriously if they will wait 3 months for 1st patch.

I’d prefer them to concentrate on fixing existing issues with content like DE bugging out, as for p2p, since when are they the benchmark for quality, every one I have played has bugs that don’t get fixed for years, the last one I played was Rift, they rush out content patches, which are always bugged/incomplete (HK & ID, both a shambles on release), there are bugs that have not been fixed after 18 months (e.g – being able to hide in the wall in the Library warfront).

Posted by: VormundGeist.3876

VormundGeist.3876

I vote for more Bug and Performance fixes, seriously

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Why would we need more content already? I haven’t even been to a vast majority of the map O.o, you know because i’m actually playing the game and not going for 100% completion… Not to mention there’s still dungeons (both explo and story mode) i haven’t done, crafting to level etc etc.

Oh wait, but they need to stay competitive with other mmos!! Like Rift which released a content patch 3 weeks after launch… oh wait….

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

Posted by: mechasauce.1309

mechasauce.1309

I want more content now! Im a level 47 and am at 26% world completion and havent even started on PvP yet….but i want MOAR kitten content now!

callidus.7085

The point I was trying to make was directed at people who were apologizing for the OP. Some were saying the OP was just asking for a discussion regarding new content.

I know the point you were trying to make.. I wasn’t trying to reply to you, but quote you.. showing that I’m not the only one that thought the way you do.. really, I was replying to Mickey, I’m guessing the same person you are talking about. I’ll just quote the person I’m replying to next time, sorry for the confusion ;-)

callidus.7085

I want more content now! Im a level 47 and am at 26% world completion and havent even started on PvP yet….but i want MOAR kitten content now!

Don’t we all want MOAR kitten content? My wife would.. she loves kittens… I love this forums censoring lol “kitten” this and “kitty” that.. makes for some very interesting reading.

vidiotking.1928

I know the point you were trying to make.. I wasn’t trying to reply to you, but quote you.. showing that I’m not the only one that thought the way you do.. really, I was replying to Mickey, I’m guessing the same person you are talking about. I’ll just quote the person I’m replying to next time, sorry for the confusion ;-)

NOW I get it. /heh

We are both responding to Mickey and Qsatu. I’m guessing those 2 are either poor readers or poor trolls, or genuinley confused/misinformed.

Posted by: Bsquared.3421

Bsquared.3421

Dude, it’s been 3 and a half weeks. Seriously, get real!

Even monthly payment MMO’s (e.g., WoW) don’t update content every 3 weeks. Hell, I spent several YEARS playing wow in only 3 battlegrounds (WSG, AB, and AV), and that’s AFTER they took a couple months after release to even ADD battlegrounds in the first place!

Seriously, LOL, get real man….

Nerfedname – Elementalist
Legion of Anvil Rock [XXIV] – Anvil Rock

Posted by: Proeliator.8740

Proeliator.8740

From what I can tell ANET is staying very busy. It’s been three weeks since release and we’ve already seen lots of patches to fix bugs, fix TP, quality issues like crafting with collectibles without moving them to inventory, etc. We’re also seeing them take their economy very seriously tweaking both dungeon difficulty, rewards, trying to combat bots, cheaters, and keep a clean community.

^^ Basically they have their hands full it’s been 3 weeks

My first question would be how much time do you have in the game? I think a healthy amount of time would be a few hours a day max and possilby more if you have a lot of free time on the weekends or something. That would mean most reasonable people probably have around 100 hour or less. If you have more than that you’re playing the game a lot and you already got a huge bang for your buck. If we say that a normal person will get bored between 200 hours and 500 hours in with the current content then we still have at least another month or two before the majority of players get to that point.

All of that leads me to think many of you are playing the game waaay too much but it’s probably not too soon to start having a conversation about new content which we actually already are when you read through the threads. People have a lot of complaints/proposals ranging from dungeons, gear, pvp, boss fights, etc. They are going to have to come up with a way to make the content they have repeatable and motivate players to want to do it. I don’t see how you can do this without a robust reward system. Some of you seem vehemently opposed to this but “motivation” and little rewards is what keeps players thinking their actions are productive.

I posted this in another thread. This is what I think they need to work towards:

I want challenges that bring us together as a community. Right now from what I can tell we can kill everything and the world bosses aren’t even a threat to us or the world at all. What is there to strive for? There isn’t really a crusade to fight. No real goals to strive for. There should always be a huge array of content that’s extremely hard, challenging, and inspiring that really makes us want to tackle it. I’m not talking about a new dungeon or making the ones we have harder etc I’m talking about entire zones, and undiscovered dungeons, as well as underwater worlds and entire continents places that we want to strive to discover and tackle but are also very challenging and dangerous places which means they will stay undiscovered for a long time. People love concepts like bottomless dungeons, ladder pvp, epic random unique gear, and impossible bosses because it gives them something to strive for. Right now as I can see it there is none of that. There isn’t even a way to get involved in farming or industry to boost the economy of your racial kingdom possibly for xp or gold bonuses. This type of stuff keeps people engaged

Posted by: mechasauce.1309

mechasauce.1309

Don’t we all want MOAR kitten content? My wife would.. she loves kittens… I love this forums censoring lol “kitten” this and “kitty” that.. makes for some very interesting reading.

Idd, Kittens everywhere plox!

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

No it’s not time for that yet. First they need to get all those DEs working so people can actually enjoy the existing content.

This.

If they decide to ignore all of the content they have now that they should be improving so most of it is actually fun and decide to just pump out NEW stuff in new zones that’s still the same old crap : spawn wave of mobs spawn wave of mobs spawn wave of mobs, DONE! I will be extremely dissapointed.