[Issue!!] Halloween Event and HoT

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Novamatrix.2569

Novamatrix.2569

During the TwitchCon stream, one of the Anet employees said the Halloween event was to be launched with Heart of Thorns on October 23rd. If this information is correct, there are several issues that I would like to point out.

Server Connection Problems – Just like every patch/download of content, loads of players have problems connecting the client to the server in order to download the update simply because of the high number of players connecting all at once.

File Size – HoT and Halloween at the same time! This update will be mega huge, how huge? I have no clue, several gigs at least.

There will be some more unavoidable problems such as bugs from both HoT and Halloween that will require constant patches causing a repeat of the first two problems. Anet may have already taken these issues into consideration as they did with Gw2 launch by starting an hour before the game was to go into 3 day head start. However, here is my suggestion to prevent this.

Solution
Let people download the update 24 hours before it launches and not let it go live until the appropriate time. The files will obviously be huge and take a while to download for people with low end internet connection. Downloading 24 hours before will give everyone time to get the game files and be ready to play as soon as it launches. This will also eliminate the Frustration of not being able to update the game after Launch due to connection errors.

Anyway, this is how I’d solve the problem. If anyone has a better solution, please post it to give some Ideas for the launch team, Or if Anet has some type of contingency plan already, it would be great to know that.

(edited by Novamatrix.2569)

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Anet has been trickling HoT files into the patches for months now, its how the stuff has been datamined.

Most likely they’ll continue to do so (and probably ramp up the amount) in the coming weeks so that there will only be a relatively small amount of new stuff to download on launch day.

Posted by: Wwefan.4982

Wwefan.4982

If I remember correctly Colin said the same week as HoT so chances are it will come out on the tuesday people can have some fun with that content then release HoT so they can avoid these issues.

Sylvari mean

Novamatrix.2569

If I remember correctly Colin said the same week as HoT so chances are it will come out on the tuesday people can have some fun with that content then release HoT so they can avoid these issues.

Hmm I remember someone saying the day HoT comes out.
I really would like for Halloween to come out sooner, like a week or 2 before, so i hope you are correct. I will review the footage/notes and double check what is said exactly.
Thanks for your comment

Novamatrix.2569

Anet has been trickling HoT files into the patches for months now, its how the stuff has been datamined.

Most likely they’ll continue to do so (and probably ramp up the amount) in the coming weeks so that there will only be a relatively small amount of new stuff to download on launch day.

Yeah, they have been doing that, but theres still tons of things that havent been added yet. So hopefully they do keep adding things and the final patch will be small enough to not cause trouble.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Halloween and HoT at the same time is not much of an issue, mainly due to the fact that Halloween is just going to be a copy paste of last year. No new content means nothing new to download, so do not worry about file sizes.

It used to be my favourite time of year.

The final patch will still be fairly big Novamatrix even though we have a good bit already. Arena Net can not patch in too much too early due to potential leaks.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”