Issues with PoF demo

Issues with PoF demo

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

I started the demo because, why not? Unfortunately, I haven’t had a great experience, so I wanted to give my impression while I still can:

1.) Died way too many times at the beginning. This has been an ongoing concern for me with the Living Story, with enemies being really powerful and my characters feeling like they do barely any damage. I tried the demo with a Warrior, and it just reminded me how horrible the Greatsword is. Am I going to be forced to use weapons that deal bleeding, etc? Kind of defeats the purpose of “play how you want”.

2.) The player character’s attitude really turns me off. I played as a human female, but am aware that all genders and races have the same dialogue. The way the PC spoke…was really irksome. It is why I was giving up on the Living Story after struggling through HoT, because they made my PC really unlikable, not relatable at all.

3.) The raptor mount’s movement was extremely difficult to manage. It takes forever to turn, and can’t turn precisely. I get it, it’s probably more realistic this way, but…I guess WoW mounts spoiled me.

4.) Buildings and even some trees were having a crazy blue and green “texture” all over them, which didn’t go away when I got close like some other player’s said happened.

Only positive thing I have to say is that I like some of the music. I’m feeling very sad as a GW2 player right now, and would hate to be turned away from the expansion due to the painful Living Story.

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

Issues with PoF demo

Posted by: dangerCake.1473

dangerCake.1473

I have had none of those problems. I started with a necro and just kept the stock build for the story mission and didn’t die at all. Now the first time I went up against one of the bounty champions or the hydras, that’s a different story….

Sure, the raptor movement is a little different from moving your char by itself, but if you think of it like the glider (which also doesn’t really strafe) and just control direction with the camera, I’ve found it feels really smooth and natural.

All graphics have looked fine, but I have a higher-end setup, I guess. Might be a bug with certain settings.

And I love my character in the story. She’s no-nonsense.

Issues with PoF demo

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

If you die alot its usually a result of bad class/gear/build combination. Trust me, it makes a world of difference when you learn how to do it properly. All content from HoT and onwards (and to some extent, Orr), requires you to know how to play your class and how to set it up in a way that is workable.

Too many people are still used to the way that characters were built in core where you could just equip Berserker (for DPS) or Clerics (for tank) and then just stroll through all the content and it doesn’t work that way anymore.

A proper, modern build will be able to take down mobs in seconds while still having plenty of survival for you to not get one-hit KO’ed.

And uhh, physical Warrior is really bad right now, wait for Spellbreaker or switch to Berserker subclass and use Carrion/Rabid gear mix. Sorry there’s not much you can do about it, they’ve probably ended up the worst class in the game for physical damage although that looks to be changing with the expo (maybe…).

I’m not a meta player myself but some things just don’t work.

As for the mount, to do precise movement and turning you need to learn how to make proper use of your walk button at a moment’s notice.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

Issues with PoF demo

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

As to 1, the weapons: No, you’re not forced at all. Your beta character’s bags hold 3 boxes of gear. Each box has a complete set of armor and weapons (exotic) with selectable stats including all the HoT stats. So open one box — just one, you don’t want to clog your bags — right click each item to choose your fave stats, equip the armor, trinkets, and your chosen weapons, voila! Then open the runes/sigils box to get your choice of, well, runes and sigils. Only 12 of each, so adding a 7th to the set in the breather may mean not using the same set again if you decide to do a separate stat set using another gear box. There is also a box of food that includes a higher tier of the provided one.

I suggest doing all that before you even jump off the boat to start the story instance. Plus you can freely choose your traits and utilities, they are all unlocked. No need to stick with the default set and build you get at initial beta alt creation.

Issues with PoF demo

Posted by: IStand.6319

IStand.6319

“3.) The raptor mount’s movement was extremely difficult to manage. It takes forever to turn, and can’t turn precisely. I get it, it’s probably more realistic this way, but…I guess WoW mounts spoiled me.”

I agree with Moyayuki. The mount is hard to handle. I also don’t like how (if you’re using a mouse) when you look around you don’t walk in the direction you are looking. It makes sense not to have that, but after getting used to having my character do that it feels weird to jump on a mount and suddenly have to turn.
I think a good solution to this problem would be having some mastery point about how you have formed such a strong bond with your mount that they can predict where you want to go (or something along those lines) and shorten the response time for movement while mounted.

(edited by IStand.6319)

Issues with PoF demo

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

1.) Died way too many times at the beginning. This has been an ongoing concern for me with the Living Story, with enemies being really powerful and my characters feeling like they do barely any damage. I tried the demo with a Warrior, and it just reminded me how horrible the Greatsword is. Am I going to be forced to use weapons that deal bleeding, etc? Kind of defeats the purpose of “play how you want”.

It depends on your class/build. I created several demo characters with different builds and some were completely useless, dying easily before the 2 veteran dogs. While some (minion master necro is still completely unkillable and totally OP) had no problems in the story.

Also played through LS3 last week, and all the boss fights were using separate unique mechanics that did not require specific build or huge dps output.

In the end, there is not much balance between classes. Some are just very good and easy to play, others require very specific stats and/or skill rotation and some are still pretty much useless. Living Story has always tried to provide more challenging fights compared to the common mobs in open world, and even in the oldest instances of personal story some fights took several attempts before getting through successfully.

Issues with PoF demo

Moyayuki.3619

If you die alot its usually a result of bad class/gear/build combination. Trust me, it makes a world of difference when you learn how to do it properly. All content from HoT and onwards (and to some extent, Orr), requires you to know how to play your class and how to set it up in a way that is workable.

Too many people are still used to the way that characters were built in core where you could just equip Berserker (for DPS) or Clerics (for tank) and then just stroll through all the content and it doesn’t work that way anymore.

A proper, modern build will be able to take down mobs in seconds while still having plenty of survival for you to not get one-hit KO’ed.

And uhh, physical Warrior is really bad right now, wait for Spellbreaker or switch to Berserker subclass and use Carrion/Rabid gear mix. Sorry there’s not much you can do about it, they’ve probably ended up the worst class in the game for physical damage although that looks to be changing with the expo (maybe…).

As for the mount, to do precise movement and turning you need to learn how to make proper use of your walk button at a moment’s notice.

Then that is extremely unfair and, as I said before, defeats GW2’s original mantra of “play how you want”. Why should anyone even bother using a GS for Warrior, or other weapon that deals no conditions? This is one of my biggest complaints about the game from HoT onwards. It’s completely nonsensical. It’s why I keep making new toons instead of proceeding to HoT and the horrid Living Story with my 80s. And yet, ESO has elements of it that doesn’t make it easy to play casually, and WoW requires a subscription (which is why I quit WoW and moved to GW2, because I no longer could play often enough to justify the frequent payments).

Issues with PoF demo

Posted by: dangerCake.1473

dangerCake.1473

" I also don’t like how (if you’re using a mouse) when you look around you don’t walk in the direction you are looking.

You don’t? You can free look with mouse 1, and when you let go, the raptor turns to go that direction, but I guide the thing entirely with mouse 2. Maybe there’s something goofy in your control settings?

Issues with PoF demo

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

Sure, the raptor movement is a little different from moving your char by itself, but if you think of it like the glider (which also doesn’t really strafe) and just control direction with the camera, I’ve found it feels really smooth and natural.

The glider does strafe left/right. But because the glider always moves forward and never stands still, the left/right movement is in addition to the forward movement.,

Issues with PoF demo

Posted by: Tusk.3846

Tusk.3846

[…]

.2.) The player character’s attitude really turns me off. I played as a human female, but am aware that all genders and races have the same dialogue. The way the PC spoke…was really irksome. It is why I was giving up on the Living Story after struggling through HoT, because they made my PC really unlikable, not relatable at all.

I expressed the same sentiment in guild chat last night WHILE I was still on the airship at the start of story.

Ever since I’ve become the “Commander”, I really don’t like ME as much. rofl. Also human female.

WPS!

Issues with PoF demo

Posted by: Tristavel.9218

Tristavel.9218

(…)

Not to debate your opinion of power warrior with regard to PvP /high level group instance content, but really, it does ok in open world, and should be more than enough for the story. Still has sustain from AH, extra evades from GS, easy access to CC spam, blocks, stability… I ran around the demo with marauder’s GS/dual axe core warrior and had no issues, especially in the story part.
Agree that mobs seemed fairly resistant to damage, but maybe it’s because it was marauder exotic. The difference seemed big between specific mob types.

Issues with PoF demo

Moyayuki.3619

[…]

.2.) The player character’s attitude really turns me off. I played as a human female, but am aware that all genders and races have the same dialogue. The way the PC spoke…was really irksome. It is why I was giving up on the Living Story after struggling through HoT, because they made my PC really unlikable, not relatable at all.

I expressed the same sentiment in guild chat last night WHILE I was still on the airship at the start of story.

Ever since I’ve become the “Commander”, I really don’t like ME as much. rofl. Also human female.

I also have been having the issue of my character knowing about places, people, and other bits of information that I’ve never heard of before. Yes, I realize that PoF is especially drawing from original GW lore, but I have never played GW1 (I was a WoW player back then), so a lot of the references are going over my head. I preferred how my character (regardless of race) was learning everything for the first time (or information was just fed to us in a more balanced way) during the Personal Story, and even in the first season or two of Living Story. But ever since HoT…I have had no clue how my character suddenly knows about all of these things that I don’t know about. That’s the role of the NPCs, in my opinion, not the main character. Heck, most video games I love are ones where the main character learns at the pace the player learns about things. It prevents the feeling of being overwhelmed.

But yes, the know-it-all overly authoritative attitude of my characters post-Personal Story just keeps grating on me. Especially with how our characters suddenly hated on Caithe with a fiery passion, whereas I personally was not viewing her actions in HoT onward that way at all.

Again, it leads back to the game feeling like it is moving further and further away from “play how you want” and being able to create our own identity in the game…

Issues with PoF demo

Posted by: Havok.6073

Havok.6073

I did not have any problems fighting my way through the opening act as a power warrior, maybe you need to try another class?
I strongly disagree with your opinion of mounts aswell. I have tried WoW and i was not impressed by the mounts at all. They feel like a polymorph, not a mount. This is the first time i feel like my character is actually riding a beast. It’s perfect.

Issues with PoF demo

Posted by: Baseleader.4128

Baseleader.4128

Yeah, not that i’m disagreeing with you as this is about personal opinions but i really had a different experience.

First of all i had little issue with completing the story, didn’t really struggle with the fights. Played zerk guard and viper necro so far. Pretty much just used my raid builds. I found the first bosses’ attacks not too hard to dodge. I will admit that it took me ages aswell to be able to kill her. She’s really tanky which is a bit unnecessary imo. Overall i’d just say try to watch out a bit more, i dont think you really need specific builds for PvE but i do think a little consideration can be expected from the player. I did some HoT maps with full glass staff ele and well….struggled. So i made some minor adjustments and went fine onwards.

I personally was totally in love with the mounts. Never before have mounts felt so real and like actual different beings, instead of simply applying speed to yourself. I love how they react a bit slower, think that’s brilliantly done.

Issues with PoF demo

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Why didn’t you add this to the PoF demo feedback thread instead of starting a new one?

Issues with PoF demo

Posted by: zaekeon.5128

zaekeon.5128

I have to agree.

I think for People coming back to the game it’s a big turn off to get stuck with a default build that is horrible. No one wants to spend forever trying to find the correct build just to play/try to have fun. Build templates really should be a thing and they should be correct…..or more needs to be done to walk someone through how to play the game with a correct build since core did nothing for this. As soon as you walk into HoTand your build or gear sucks you get power owned in the face to the point where you just want to quit….

I think more needs to be done to provide an accessible build to get people hooked into the game and from there they can experiment once they have the basics down.