It is safe to say it now.. GOTY?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

I’d vote GW2 for GOTY but I’m a bit biased since ’m not a huge FPS or RTS player anymore. Although I am thinking of trying Planetside 2 and Dishonored is scheduled to come out this year too.

There could be a decent bunch of contenders this year.

this is about the lousiest game I have played. Anet itself is a soulless company.

You need to try more games. I’ve played far worst MMOs and even worst single player games.

As one example, try Warhammer 40K Space Marine. It’s not even a terrible game but it is bland and uninspired and it will give you a nice feeling of having wasted your money. It’s even worse if you are a fan of the Warhammer 40K setting.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

(edited by DoctorOverlord.8620)

Posted by: Arsenal.2601

Arsenal.2601

Difficult choice.

I thought ME:3 was a masterpiece of a game. I found the stink kicked up by gamers over the ending – to the point of voting EA as the worst company – to be just plain embarrassing; and worse, overshadowing the many things that game did with excellence. But that’s just my opinion.

Clearly, GW2 is a very good game. It would edge out some of my other favorites as GOTY, simply because it injects life into a very tired genre with a ground up re-think of every MMO mechanic. The highly underrated The Secret World did a bit of this, but not quite as well, and not quite as thoroughly. And such a specific, modern, niche, game as TSW was never going to have mass appeal of a good old fantasy world romp.

Because of innovation and quality of GW2, it is my belief that this game marks a permanent turning point. Much as WoW was the template for duplication, copying and strip mining for the games that came after, I think we’ll see in a few years that GW2 will be this template. Games will duplicate, and build upon, its foundation. And for moving the genre forward in such leaps and bounds, I’d give it my GOTY.

“I’m always achieving greatness!”

Posted by: Cancer.9065

Cancer.9065

GOTY.

Lol no…

Yet. I’m sure it will get a lot better as time goes by. By then I hope to have all my 8 toons at max level = P and start my way for dungeon armor and legendaries.

Cancer is also a Zodiac sign.

Posted by: Omega.5682

Omega.5682

How about MOGOTY:

“Most Overrated Game of the Year”:

Endless grinds, no depth, zerg pvp, no skill requirements.

So bad, what a waste of time.

Posted by: souldonkey.9534

souldonkey.9534

How about MOGOTY:

“Most Overrated Game of the Year”:

Endless grinds, no depth, zerg pvp, no skill requirements.

So bad, what a waste of time.

I’ve seen no less than a dozen posts of you just bashing the game. It begs the question: why are you still here? If you hate this game so much why are you posting on its forums? I dislike WoW and Rift. Do I go to their forums and post about how much I hate the game play? No. You know why? Because I’m not a 6 year old that thinks the whole world revolves around me and that all games should be made exclusively to my tastes and mine alone. This game is clearly not built to your liking, therefore go play one that is and gtfo these forums.

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

he’s here because it’s b2p and has access to the forums. likely he’s stilly playing the game and likely he’s gotten 200+ hours worth of fun from it, and is now whining cuz he can.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

Posted by: Kargion.6352

Kargion.6352

I think game of the year is specific to genre, and for mmo’s right now this is my goty

Posted by: bojangles.6912

bojangles.6912

It’s funny how people here keep ripping on WoW yet I bet most of them played for at least a year. Also people need to stop comparing any game to “WoW” in general and start comparing it to the latest or recent expansion because this game and any other MMO out there today will NEVER come close to Vanilla WoW or BC. If Vanilla WoW was out this year I will bet anyone $89753977 it would win GOTY over GW2 or any mmo.

As far as Cata I will admit it was the worst expansion ever along with the worst end game made from them. I was a hard core raider until Cata which made me take a break. MoP just came out and seems many flocked back to try it out. 30 min ques to just log in. So far to me it is just another expansion which doesn’t come close to BC but I haven’t tried the end game yet.

Omega said it best about the game.

But for GOTY who is it up against?

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

GOTY for me, definitely. Before playing GW2 I would have said TSW (a flawed gem if there ever was one), but now TSW is an honourable second.

GOTY by miles. I’d say it’s a masterpiece of game-making, in both concept and execution. Obviously it doesn’t please everybody, but it seems to be pleasing a hell of a lot of people.

bojangles.6912

Maybe. But Call of Duty or Assassins Creed will probably get it. Because as we all know the more a game sells the better it is. Diablo 3 and the Call of Duty series are testaments to that fact. Other people are claiming that the new Bioshock game will be GoTY. They may have a fair point there but I’m not to much into that series so I don’t know that much about it.

The new Bioshock doesn’t come out till Feb next year unless it gets pushed back more. So how can that be GoTY?

GW2 will not get it over any Call of Duty game. Res Evil 6 will even be ahead of GW2. ToR will be over GW2 also even though people here think it sucks, EA has a lot of money and power and I like ToR and still play it. Way better questing system and end game. Probably even better pvp then GW2 and ToR’s pvp is horrible.

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

MMOs typically are never in the running for GOTY awards. I can’t ever remember seeing one win such a title anyway…

bojangles.6912

MMOs typically are never in the running for GOTY awards. I can’t ever remember seeing one win such a title anyway…

Good point. I have a feeling though in all honesty it may be Diablo 3. Trust me I know how bad it is etc. but it has the sales and it still has tons of people logging on to play.

Posted by: vidiotking.1928

vidiotking.1928

Thinking about ‘all’ the games I’ve played this year, I think that GW2 is a front runner. I’ll even throw in a beta.

Played D3, yukko. Playing TLII, is good, but I enjoy GW2 more. Played POE beta, this one I like a lot, but since it’s beta, I guess I don’t think it’s in the running. Was BF3 this year or last? I can’t even remember…. but again, I like GW2 more. TERA? yea right.

I think GW2 is a viable choice….

Led Zeppelin, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Grateful Dead, & Miles Davis.

Posted by: Lokai.7850

Lokai.7850

because metacritic scores mean something right? ask any serious reviewer they all agree that metacritic is a load of crap and always has been. I am not saying that GW2 is bad, but certainly not game of the year… are plenty of other games are far better…

1: Mass Effect 3 has better voice acting, story, and game play and is far more accessable

2: DCUO has better combat system, story and voice acting and is FREE! to try

3: Torchlight 2 has less resources,/funds, and is far more affordable and argueablly more additcing.

GW2 may well rank as on of the top mmos but game of the year? i dont think so…

bojangles.6912

because metacritic scores mean something right? ask any serious reviewer they all agree that metacritic is a load of crap and always has been. I am not saying that GW2 is bad, but certainly not game of the year… are plenty of other games are far better…

1: Mass Effect 3 has better voice acting, story, and game play and is far more accessable

3: Torchlight 2 has less resources,/funds, and is far more affordable and argueablly more additcing.

^ Pretty much this. But like someone else said, “there hasn’t been a mmo winning”. Why would GW2 all of a sudden win it? WoW Vanilla and BC blow GW2 out of the water easily and never won Game of the Year. But you ask this question on the fans forums of course they will say GW2.

Posted by: marianitten.1247

marianitten.1247

^ Pretty much this. But like someone else said, “there hasn’t been a mmo winning”. Why would GW2 all of a sudden win it? WoW Vanilla and BC blow GW2 out of the water easily and never won Game of the Year. But you ask this question on the fans forums of course they will say GW2.

Nobody says that means “something”. Metacritic is an average of reviews of “popular” sites. The same sites that give the award of “GOTY” .
GOTY is just an award, i’m not saying that GW2 deserves the GOTY or not.

For Those About to Zerg (We Salute You)

Posted by: Arson.4189

Arson.4189

I threw the towel in today and started up torchlight 2.

It is fun within 10 m of playing i had a smile on my face and the story had sucked me in… Between diablo3 and this game I almost forgot what it was like to have fun.

Anet promised alot of fun but the whole game is designed to keep you down. Playing this game at lvl 80 feels a whole lot like playing diablo 3. Grinding for hours for a few gold.

Performance issues are big for me.
Lack of content. Really dropped the PVE ball.
WvW consist of fighting invisible enemys

On a personal note Im really sick of cannon fodder loot. This has to stop in games please stop giving us a million crappy items. Vendor trash. You will never find a upgrade from a drop. Absolutely take all the fun out of killing major events.

If i were to review the game I would give it a 8/10

Right now I dont see how anyone is enjoying the game. There is barely any PVE content (really a few days worth and your done)

WvW is absolutely a skilless lagfest exploit zerg…did i mention everyone is invisible?

Spvp is ….really good hah but you wern’t expecting that the same maps do get boring tho.

It has plenty of potential but who knows how fast they will react.

I will not be buying a expansion unless there are some major content updates and fixes to open world pvp.

(edited by Arson.4189)

Posted by: Fiddlestyx.9714

Fiddlestyx.9714

There are about 10 games that win Game of the Year each year. It’s pretty pointless. Shouldn’t there only be one each year?

Posted by: MrLee.6892

MrLee.6892

GW2 have gave me over 200hours of playtime, something many other games can’t do for $60. And I have only 1 level 80. So I know I can EASILY get another 200 hours out of it. (lol no endgame….. riiiiiight)

It’s in my top 5 that’s for sure. GOTY? close!!

nerva.7940

yeah it’s funny. gw2 really shows that gamers come from many different walks of life. im 200 hours in, not skipping any content, my main is lvl 50 and have two more lvl 30 alts. i also think i can get another 150-200 hours out of PVE alone, not counting dungeons. i think ive logged the same number of hours this week compared to the first week.

people who are complaining either played way too fast, and completed everything legitimately, just sacrificed their RL. or rushed through the world to hit 80 and chase nonexistent carrots. either approach seems unwise to me, but i cant tell people how to play their game.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

Not by a long shot. You’ve got Trine 2, Torchlight 2, and Borderlands 2 which all offered significant improvement over their predecessors, against Guild Wars 2, which has taken two steps backward for every step forward and is severely lacking in major areas such as camera options, performance, and risk vs reward balancing.

nerva.7940

Not by a long shot. You’ve got Trine 2, Torchlight 2, and Borderlands 2 which all offered significant improvement over their predecessors, against Guild Wars 2, which has taken two steps backward for every step forward and is severely lacking in major areas such as camera options, performance, and risk vs reward balancing.

never heard of Trine 2; TL2 and BL2, as stated by pretty much everyone, simply refine what the first games did. therefore, nothing innovative.

GW2 innovates not on one game, but on the entire genre. it doesnt do one thing differently, it does everything differently. arguably, it does everything better.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian

Posted by: animus.5814

animus.5814

ha. HAHAHAHAHA. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Press 2 to kill Zhaitan.

No GOTY here.

ROFL…

This is soo true. Pretty bad. Still GOTY brah

Posted by: animus.5814

animus.5814

never heard of Trine 2; TL2 and BL2, as stated by pretty much everyone, simply refine what the first games did. therefore, nothing innovative.

GW2 innovates not on one game, but on the entire genre. it doesnt do one thing differently, it does everything differently. arguably, it does everything better.

This is why it is GOTY material. What is new and interesting in BL2? What about TL2? Just improvements on their predecessor. NOT their genre like GW2. GW2 begun the new rain of the AAA MMO with no subs.

Im dead serious. This is the finest MMO since WOW.

The only game that might beat this one is X com baby!@

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

If Vanilla WoW was out this year I will bet anyone $89753977 it would win GOTY over GW2 or any mmo.

When Sylvanas looked like a goofy night elf… are you kdding me?! And vanilla WoW and even current WoW have no active dodge or level content scaling.

Posted by: Moakist.5268

Moakist.5268

That current 8.3 is quite a drop from where it was a couple weeks ago.

The Fayth – Ferguson’s Crossing

Posted by: Enzi.5496

Enzi.5496

This year is actually pretty terrible for PC gaming and gaming in general so the bar isn’t set very high. Maybe something comes out in Q4 that can take the GOTY from GW2 but I doubt it. It’s still possible GW2 won’t be GOTY with console games mixed in, but even then, from an objective point of view, can any game say from itself that it innovated and has the sheer amount of content?

From that perspective only something as Skyrim comes close and that was last year. Actually when I look at the 2011 list on metacritic, wow, that was an awesome year.

Posted by: Altair.7560

Altair.7560

GOTY for Guild Wars 2? In my opinion, a big NO. Some people talk about making differences and innovation from predecessor to sequel, but to me it’s all about execution on the final product delivered. In my humble opinion GOTY should go to that certain FPS game that promised more wub wub and certainly delivered it in bucket loads.

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

That’s great and all, but innovation is not what wins GOTY usually. What usually wins is either a quality product or a popular product, depending on who is rating it.

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

That’s great and all, but innovation is not what wins GOTY usually. What usually wins is either a quality product or a popular product, depending on who is rating it.

GW2 is a quality product and a popular product. High reviews around the board, both professional and otherwise, and 2 million copies sold within the first couple of weeks. To say that GW2 isn’t “a quality product or a popular product” would be arguing against verifiable fact at this point. So it’s a good thing you haven’t done that.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

If something underwhelming like Skyrim can get GOTY, I don’t see how this couldn’t.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I’d have to say Borderlands 2 for my GotY, GW2 would take it once they iron out all the bugs but BL2 is outstanding (as is TL2 but too addicted to BL2 atm). 1st ps (UT2004 rpg servers) are what got me into rpg’s in the first place so. If I hadn’t played Ut2004 rpg I wouldn’t have bought GW in the first place so my heart lies with first person rpg types

Ps. Eochaidh, you found Skyrim underwhelming? After I modded it, it was a stunning game, if I could pick 5 games recently released that are deservant of praise it would be…

1. Skyrim (modded)
2. Guild Wars 2
3. Borderlands 2
4. Torchlight 2
5. Dead Island (hope they get it right in Dead Island 2)

In any order!

(edited by Paul.4081)

Posted by: TwistedWarrior.8613

TwistedWarrior.8613

This game is far from “game of the year” just thinking that is silly.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

nerva.7940

how is BL2 GOTY? why are you trolling?

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian

nerva.7940

This game is far from “game of the year” just thinking that is silly.

actually, no. more likely than not, it will get the award. too many things about it are good.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian