It is too hard to earn gold - A serious post

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Arkham Creed.7358

Arkham Creed.7358

You didn’t read the list itself, did you?

I try to avoid sensationalism and marketing propaganda that masquerades as “journalism.” Also why I don’t watch Fox News.

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

You’re delusional. I’ve been tested as above average intelligence, have a natural “gift” for science and mathematics, and a college education. Know what I do for a living? Wait tables at a Mexican restaurant. The real world doesn’t reward skill; it rewards prestige.

Oh it used to reward skill, back when men like Steve Jobs were starting out, but these days that isn’t true. These days it is all about how many big names you can toss at people. Who you know, and where you’ve been. Yeah I went to college, but I didn’t go to the right college for my education to be taken seriously. Yeah I’m pretty smart, but I don’t have the right people telling potential employers that. Things like skill and knowledge are irrelevant in the real world; just look at how we celebrate the most useless and brainless human beings and shower them with wealth.

Skilled….yeah right. What kind of “skill” does Paris Hilton have? Nothing unless you count “rich daddy.”

I’m sorry Erasculio, but what I am about to point out here may inadvertently upset you, but I intend no malice;

You will never get to meet “the right people”, nor will you go beyond waiting tables at a restaurant while you hold on to that “poor me” attitude.

This is because “the right people” will recognise that attitude immediately and overlook all of your science and mathematics skills and choose someone else perhaps less ‘intelligent’ but with a superior attitude.

Do not be disillusioned by your own supposed intelligence; it’s all useless if you don’t have what’s more important; a strength of will and good character.

You can begin honing that “good character” immediately by ceasing to envy and complain about people like Paris Hilton.

And for any waiters and waitresses out there; it’s a great job, a noble job—it is what you make it. People respect good waiters and waitresses. And what would we do without them?

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

It is currently too grindy, but from what I have read recently, it appears that is all about to change.

Posted by: Arkham Creed.7358

Arkham Creed.7358

You’re delusional. I’ve been tested as above average intelligence, have a natural “gift” for science and mathematics, and a college education. Know what I do for a living? Wait tables at a Mexican restaurant. The real world doesn’t reward skill; it rewards prestige.

Oh it used to reward skill, back when men like Steve Jobs were starting out, but these days that isn’t true. These days it is all about how many big names you can toss at people. Who you know, and where you’ve been. Yeah I went to college, but I didn’t go to the right college for my education to be taken seriously. Yeah I’m pretty smart, but I don’t have the right people telling potential employers that. Things like skill and knowledge are irrelevant in the real world; just look at how we celebrate the most useless and brainless human beings and shower them with wealth.

Skilled….yeah right. What kind of “skill” does Paris Hilton have? Nothing unless you count “rich daddy.”

I’m sorry Erasculio, but what I am about to point out here may inadvertently upset you, but I intend no malice;

You will never get to meet “the right people”, nor will you go beyond waiting tables at a restaurant while you hold on to that “poor me” attitude.

This is because “the right people” will recognise that attitude immediately and overlook all of your science and mathematics skills and choose someone else perhaps less ‘intelligent’ but with a superior attitude.

Do not be disillusioned by your own supposed intelligence; it’s all useless if you don’t have what’s more important; a strength of will and good character.

You can begin honing that “good character” immediately by ceasing to envy and complain about people like Paris Hilton.

And for any waiters and waitresses out there; it’s a great job, a noble job—it is what you make it. People respect a good waiters and waitresses. And what would we do without them?

Actually you’re responding to me, not Erasculio. Just clearing that up.

That said my attitude is completely irrelevant if potential employers take one look at my resume, ball it up, and toss it into the trash without even talking to me.

Pure Heart.1456

Actually you’re responding to me, not Erasculio. Just clearing that up.

lol whoops! Sorry Arkham.

That said my attitude is completely irrelevant if potential employers take one look at my resume, ball it up, and toss it into the trash without even talking to me.

I would be inclined to disagree, but we’d be moving further off topic. Suffice to say;
As a man thinketh, so he is. Nothing is random, it is only through the tiny ‘pinhole’ of our vision and understanding that things appear to be so. We reap what we sow. Cause and effect. Perseverance and good-will conquer all.

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

It may be difficult to get gold in this game but I think the real problem lies in that it is more difficult to get actual items so you need a lot of gold to buy things

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: deathklock.4961

deathklock.4961

You didn’t read the list itself, did you?

I try to avoid sensationalism and marketing propaganda that masquerades as “journalism.” Also why I don’t watch Fox News.

Thats why i dont watch cnn/cnbc, all propaganda no substance.

Posted by: defrule.7236

defrule.7236

Keep in mind that the T3 culturals are rare not exotic, and they only come in one stat as well. More likely than not anyone buying them would also need to buy exotics of the desired stats and also transmutation crystals. More money on top of the already expensive skins.

Pure Heart.1456

Keep in mind that the T3 culturals are rare not exotic, and they only come in one stat as well. More likely than not anyone buying them would also need to buy exotics of the desired stats and also transmutation crystals. More money on top of the already expensive skins.

I did this only just last night!
T3 Wolfborn vest and leggings—>skins transmuted onto CoF armour —> Arah Superior Orrian runes. (Quite the expensive undertaking for my middle class self!)

Posted by: Balkanwarrior.5132

Balkanwarrior.5132

I did this only just last night!
T3 Wolfborn vest and leggings—>skins transmuted onto CoF armour —> Arah Superior Orrian runes. (Quite the expensive undertaking for my middle class self!)

Transmute crystals have cost me more then some people will ever see in their banks

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Balkanwarrior said: “If you don’t plan on buying anything flashy, casually playing this game will net you enough gold to survive. If you however want vision of the mists, t3 cultural, *insert whatever other item you want that costs a decent amount, its going to take you a while to casually earn all that gold.”

^ That right there is probably at the heart of complaints from casual players that they’re short on funds. If you’re not terribly interested in fancy skins, minipets and weapons with loads of particle effects, chances are 50g will probably be enough to cover your expenses for the rest of your GW2 lifetime, and you’ll earn enough through casual play to support that kind of lifestyle. But if you want the flashy stuff, then your expenses are gonna go way up, and that’s when the problem starts.

If you’re like me, a semi-hardcore player who likes playing “my own way” and finds TP flipping and non-stop dungeon speed clears to be utterly boring, then the best solution is to adjust your expectations. That Abyss dye is nice, but do you REALLY need it when a cheaper dye like Black or even Ash will give you a similar look (and keeping in mind that if you’re buying to show off, most other players aren’t even going to notice).

(edited by Zaxares.5419)

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

A cultural T3 costs 112 gold.

Cultural T3 is deliberately priced to be ridiculously expensive in order to provide a serious goldsink, and to give those players who do want to seriously grind gold something to aspire to.

I don’t think you can use it as part of an argument that it is “too hard to earn gold”. Such an argument would really need to be based on comparing the gold earned by normal players doing normal things, to the gold required for normal players to buy normal things.

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

I Dont think its really hard to get gold, i play a few dungeons a day for the last week only and ive only been playing for 3 weeks in total and so far ive probably had almost 50g without even trying. At the moment i only have 7g because i spent about 40g on crafting because i hate leveling. Honestly the biggest problem with gold is the disparity between people who trade on tp and people who dont. Also another problem is the rng which makes some items too expensive so its not hard to get gold its hard to get enough where you dont have to worry about buying things because most things in this game are too expensive for the amount of dr there is.

Also btw, if you just run dungeons its really not too hard to get cultural t3. Especially if u have been playing since the beginning you really should have had enough for a t3 set without too much worry.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

And how many of those people got their start in the last twenty years? The real world used to reward skill.

Skill is rewarded in the real world. it just isn’t always rewarded. It may very well often not be so rewarded. Remember that because your skill has not been rewarded does not mean that skill in general is not rewarded.

Something not happening to you, or even to others you may know, does not mean that it does not happen.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

But I’m good at playing the game the way I enjoy it.
And that way is rather unrewarding.

The reward would be fun, enjoying the game. I’m rather good at doing triathlons, but it’s unrewarding financially (not to mention it costs money to one).

At my job, on the other hand, I prefer to be efficient to get the rewards.

Hit the nail on the head.

Well, yes.
I actually feel better now that I’m reminded that I chose the social part over earning money.
But I think this is exactly what Arenanet said they would not want.
The cost of “doing what you enjoy” should not be “not getting nice things”. It should be “getting nice things later than those who work for them”. (And I do not mean " many months later", which is basically the same as “not getting them”.)
The path to reach the things in the game that you fancy withinin a reasonable time should not be treating the game as a chore, let alone as a job.
The difference between a “professional” farm-group and your friends should not be the one of 2,4 gold per hour and 30 gold per hour.

Sorry mate, that’s life. The Guild Wars genre has games which are heavily rooted in communist ideas, but unfortunately we see time and time again that such ideas simply don’t work. While I’d love for a game to reward all play styles equally, we see all too well that people would much rather farm the most optimal yet boring thing for personal benefit.

By the end of Guild Wars 1, playing the game normally was more rewarding than farming (except select speedclears). I sincerely hope Guild Wars 2 will reach that sweet spot one day.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: MightyMicah.7451

MightyMicah.7451

I dare to say I play casually and still earn enough gold.
At this moment I have about 30 gold, leveled 4 crafts and am halfway the 5th, I have 2 pieces of tier 3 armor (top and legs) have multiple pieces of tier 1 and 2 armor over different characters, have (near) full exotic on 3 level 80 characters, I am working towards a legendary (thus have a ton of tier 6 mats, a couple of mats for mystic clovers and 40 mystic clovers made.

I might not be ‘as’ rich as a part of the community, but I am having fun, and doing whatever I want.
I RP with my guild, occasionally run a dungeon or fractals (that happens like what? Once a month..?) I sometimes wvwvw, I work on map completion and just randomly run around and kill stuff, if I happen to feel like beating up something bigger I’ll check gw2stuffs and see what events are running.

I am not exceptionally lucky with drops, I do not play the TP, I do not rush dungeons and I’m fractals lvl 7 atm.
As said I don’t sell the tier 6 mats I get which would net me quite a bit of extra gold.

tbh, I think gold isn’t all THAT hard to earn. Clean out your collecters tab every now and then, sell anything that’s worth something and gold will come easily.

This is about the same answer I was gonna give except I’m not quite as far along as you. :P Well spoken!

Honestly, Forst, just have fun! The only times that I begin not having fun in a video game is when I set some kind of standard that I have to achieve. For example, “Gotta get that legendary!” Or “Gotta get that achievement” or “Gotta get that world completion” etc. Generally, the best method for playing the game is to take everything in small doses. Do a little CoF, WvW, fractals, world completion, etc. Then, with the remainder of your play time, do the thing that you most want to do. (For me that would be WvW.)

Sure, I’m not the most successful or richest player out there (not even close!) but I’m having more fun than probably 90% of all the gamers out there. There really isn’t any hurry to complete anything. Even the living story updates don’t have to be completed. Just take your time and enjoy the game, mate! Hopefully this helps a little…

This is that new sound. Ya’ll ain’t ready.

Posted by: Aphix.9846

Aphix.9846

Got loads of gold and I never do anything for the only reason to get gold if you get me, I do living story for the achievs, tPvP, wvw etc yet I always have around 300g+ sitting in my bank, which nowadays isnt a lot, but im fine with that. ( sPvP should allow you to earn gold e.g. from winning tournies tho.)
If id spend my time doing braindead scrub CoF p1 runs Id have probably 10x that gold, but I choose not to because i cant stand it. I have the option to do that if needed tho. Not complaining.

If its taking you 30 minutes to do 1 cof run you are SERIOUSLY doing something wrong, average run is about 10 mins max, get a zerker group and do it in 6 mins or less.

240g is about the gold I make in a month from wvw and thats just a bonus for me, not there for gold ^^

Posted by: ASaturnus.4980

ASaturnus.4980

So OP, you’re argument is that with the gold you earned yet, you could only buy an armor that is INTENTIONALLY made very expencive to be a prestige armor twice?

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

OP, you are clearly wrong. Only 90% of the game is it hard to earn gold. You should only mindlessly farm the 5% of the game that actually matters…

The real problem isn’t that gold is hard to find, but the rewards to risk ratio is entirely busted. The game should reward you for playing it, but instead in reality you are rewarded for “farming” a few areas of the game disproportionately compared to the rest.

Ideally, diminishing returns was to force the player to seek out a variety of content to play the entire game to maintain decent loot. In reality though, it has mostly ruined open world loot, Take Orr, an area that is supposed to be heart-free and consisting totally of dynamic events— well, at this point it’s only half right— leaving people to farm the simplest dungeons or to farm world bosses, which is actually a terrible way of getting loot, but beggars can’t be choosers.

Instead, the game needs to promote a more variety of risk vs reward, where harder content actually gets rewarded more, etc.

It’s okay though. At least most of you don’t wvw a lot, where everyone grinds for a green item and a few silver in the hopes that it’ll offset their food costs.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: RuneCrimson.7380

RuneCrimson.7380

So to get gold I am seeing you have to WvW and PvP and I do not do those things cause they are totally confusing and have to be in some big group of people shoving you to the side cause you are not good at it. WvW I have never done cause I can see that being worse then PvP.

{Knights of Revengence} [KoR-Lord]
“Nothing is true! Everything is Permitted!”

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

So to get gold I am seeing you have to WvW and PvP and I do not do those things cause they are totally confusing and have to be in some big group of people shoving you to the side cause you are not good at it. WvW I have never done cause I can see that being worse then PvP.

Hard to detect sarcasm in text but WvW and PvP two of the worse possible ways to get gold in …

Posted by: Venthus.6137

Venthus.6137

I’m at more or less 100 gold, for the records. After more or less about 800 hours of play… Which means, 12.5 silver per hour?

That’s not a bad scale to measure things with…

About what I’ve made per hour, based on my current assets, with each category being independent of the rest:
Non-specific: 20s/hour
Materials: 24s/hour
Investments (sold/unsold@bid): 53s/hour
Karma: 1440karma/hour (unknown average rate of conversion to gold via Orrian Jewelry Boxes)

Materials are a fair chunk lower than actual values since I didn’t count up everything; just the more expensive items (T6 fines and lodestones, specifically.) The hours spent are also inflated by 10% I’d estimate, from times spent logged in but not actively playing. (Or just with it open, doing other things like writing this post and doing the math.)

Notable expenses include crafting one character to 80, 2 purchased sets of exo gear, the ~1m karma for parts of a legendary and approximately 12,000 gems worth of gold (valued at 413 gold at the time of posting, though most was purchased at a FAR lower rate).

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

There is plenty of gold in the system already. Arenanet has been increasing the gold supply radically over the last few months. The only changes I would make is to revisit the tax rate and trade requirements on the BLTP to further dampen the TP mini-game that rewards shrewd traders, and to reduce the amazing event rewards back to levels closer to game release. Money is not free, folks, and has no value if it is.

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

I thought that this was interesting and funny. It pretty much sums up rewards vs equality.

http://www.upworthy.com/2-monkeys-were-paid-unequally-see-what-happens-next

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932