It's ok to be casual

It's ok to be casual

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

It’s okay to love Tangled Depths. I mean, isn’kitten

It’s okay to let people like what they like.

It’s also okay to beg ANet to never do that clusterkitten again~
It’s also okay to insist ANet learn to build a decent minimap. >.>

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Sorry to ruin the mood, but I want to say something about the dailies. Logging in and doing the same thing over and over nearly ruined the game for me. If you play gw2 for the dailies only, play mobile game instead. I just can’t stand this mentality to force yourself login and doing the same thing over and over, especially if you don’t have a certain goal in mind. The game will get boring quickly. I was at this point and I stopped playing for 1,5 years.

Thankfully a friend brought me back, and learned how to pvp. We played a lot of games and eventually became decent.
Before HoT came out I set myself the goal to craft all HOT legendaries(even if I did not own a single legendary before). I farmed quite a lot, learned how to invest and also made a lot of precursors in the MF when it was profitable. Also crafting and selling old legendaries brought me a lot of gold(who buys these?). Now I’m waiting for number 7 to come out and join my collection.

What I want to say is that this game could become so much better if you have healthy goals. If you aim for ascended gear, think about how you want to use it.Fractals? WvW? Or even raids?

Please don’t be the sort of player who(as an example) logs in, kills the warg in WvW, flips a camp, runs away from enemies and log out. Don’t be that guy. If this sounds like you, don’t play gw2, don’t game at all. You should spend your free time for better things

While they are boring they are a routine that varies. For the past couple of months my evening login has all been about dailies – Ember Bay, Bitterfrost Frontier (going for ascended trinkets/rings/backpacks/breathers on 15 characters), and PVE ….. plus gathering in my home and guild hall. While some of it is monotonous some of it is not (what boss do I have to kill today). I try to do a login for more UM stuff in the afternoon but that does not always work out. Basically, no matter WHAT you do in the game there are a finite number of options so why should dailies be your ‘leave the game’ point?

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

It’s okay to think outside meta and use a custom build and stay alive, instead of focussing on 100% DPS and then dying over and over cause you want to feel elite.

It’s okay to get your healing (fill in class here) and make sure ppl can finsih their content 10-15% slower instead of wiping 3 times and leaving unfinished

It’s not okay to get told by your friendly guild to git gud and it is ok to subsequently think: “Why should I need you, cause I’ve been playing this game for 4 yrs now and you know how to kill this , but fail at everything else, except at bragging about the 1 thing you can kill, even though I killed it as well and all the other stuff, maybe just a little slower, but on the 1st try”.

It’s okay to be content with your normal crafting routines and get your last class geared up fully, while others ping their 8th legendary, but are still bound to 2 classes.

It’s okay to craft your 8th legendary and accept you only have 2 classes

It’s ok to be who you want to be, when you want to , with who you want to.

It’s ok to play a game for fun.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

it’s okay to enjoy this game because of reasons others think are stupid.
some play for skins, some play for exploration, some play for pvp, some play for jumping puzzles, some play for dungeons/raids,

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

It’s ok to start friendly conversations during downtimes in ranked pvp.
It’s ok to turn off chat when people don’t keep conversations friendly.
It’s ok to feel like a child again when your favourite annual festival starts up.
It’s ok to not care about “meta”, or to optimise a build for something other than damage.
It’s ok to give your own opinions/advice on a class when that advice is asked for.
It’s ok to play something else when this game stops feeling fun. So far there’s always been a reason for me to come back. =)

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: TEKnowledgy.1760

TEKnowledgy.1760

It’s ok to lose yourself on the map and explore the world, not for rewards or completion, but to enrich your imagination and find the little details you hadn’t thought of before.

Until you have the Been there done that title once you get that exploring ends.

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

It’s ok to use your own build and not “Meta”

It’s ok to come to this thread just to post this. I hate the meta bs, so boring.

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: Gryphon.2875

Gryphon.2875

It’s ok to use your own build and not “Meta”

It’s ok to come to this thread just to post this. I hate the meta bs, so boring.

/signed

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: Gudy.3607

Gudy.3607

It’s OK to do map completion just for the heck of it even on your 9th character, and to still discover new things out in the open world that you hadn’t seen before.

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: TiF.6589

TiF.6589

Its ok to just run around killing mobs for the fun of watching your character’s animations in a fight.

Soooo much this.

Sometimes I run around in HoT maps, sometimes Orr, just to kill some mobs and have fun watching the fight animations. Daredevil sure have some sweet sweet fight animations.

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: costepj.5120

costepj.5120

It’s ok to lose yourself on the map and explore the world, not for rewards or completion, but to enrich your imagination and find the little details you hadn’t thought of before.

Been There Done That only covers core Tyria though. You can still enjoy exploring all the new maps. I’ve been playing HoT since launch and still don’t have a character with 100% completion in TD!

So long and thanks for all the skritt

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Sometimes it’s fun to grab a P/P thief and play in First Person Mode and make the game some sort of fps mmorpg.

Sometimes it’s fun to use a Charr and a Broomstick to skateboard places.

Attachments:

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: zoomborg.9462

zoomborg.9462

I do open world for the nature sounds, the scenery and the cows on diessa plateau.Especially the cows

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: DirtyDan.4759

DirtyDan.4759

Objection! This map is pure horror to complete.

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Objection! This map is pure horror to complete.

It’s still okay for him to like it.
And it’s still okay for me to hate it.

But if you ask him real nice, I’m sure he’ll show you around.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: XxsdgxX.8109

XxsdgxX.8109

Since when did Casual = Garbage playing skills? You can be good – great at a game without playing for thousands of hours if you play smart.

Being Casual to me is not been able to log in every day for multiple hours.

Stella Truth Seeker

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: TwoGhosts.6790

TwoGhosts.6790

It’s ok to post positive threads on the forums.
It’s ok to enjoy reading positive threads on the forums.
It’s ok to contribute to positive threads on the forums.
It’s ok to be a bit rubbish at any game mode that you try.
It’s ok to make having fun your top priority when playing.
It’s ok to play the game however the heck you like.
It’s ok to take the mini-jump pads from the bank to the TP in LA and then run back to the bank just to do it again.
~TG

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: Mhur.2904

Mhur.2904

The title is misleading. It makes you think this is not a casual game, which is clearly fasle, because you can’t get more casual than GW2, but it’s not a bad thing. It’s the main reason I play it.

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: MissSinfully.2478

MissSinfully.2478

It’s okay to have 6 Guardians/DH

It’s okay to prefer traps and longbow to scepter and sword/torch whatever it is now dps wise

It’s okay to spend your hard earned money from your day job on fun things like gems.

It’s okay to like playing support or in-between instead of DPS (I’m looking at you random meta-guard who told me I was a bad player for not being full zerker guard and solo’ing fractals as a zerker instead of plodding along at my meditation build pace)

It’s okay to devote yourself to one guild.

It’s okay to play with many guilds. (Wow that sounds a little weird).

It’s okay to go a little batty and make spreadsheets for all the legendary recipes and precursor collections. I’m positive someone else out there does it too.

MissSinfully
Sonyanna
Dragonhunter

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

It’s okay to be a casual without being antagonistic or condensending to the meta and people who use meta builds.

It’s okay to be a casual without acting like an entitled little child.

And it is NOT okay to join meta groups in LFG on a non-meta character without telling the group, and act like the group should be somehow grateful to you for whatever reason.

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

I don’t think it’s OK to play whatever you feel like. Maybe if you’re roaming the open world, sure. But if you’re doing fracs or raiding with other people, you should be considerate and play in a way that supports yourself and the group.

Like you can’t become a magi warrior and focus on healing, because that’s not the function of warriors.

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

I don’t think it’s OK to play whatever you feel like. Maybe if you’re roaming the open world, sure. But if you’re doing fracs or raiding with other people, you should be considerate and play in a way that supports yourself and the group.

Like you can’t become a magi warrior and focus on healing, because that’s not the function of warriors.

If they can find 4 other like-minded people they can play whatever they want however they want.

But I would kindly ask them to stay out of my groups.

Casuals are welcome in my groups, I am a casual myself after all. But terribad players who somehow think they’re too good for the meta are definitely not welcome in my groups.

When it comes to the meta, this is my stance; you first have to understand and master the meta before you can defy it and play non-meta builds. If you bring a non-meta build to my group you better know what the f- you’re doing.

(edited by LucosTheDutch.4819)

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

If they can find 4 other like-minded people they can play whatever they want however they want.

But I would kindly ask them to stay out of my groups.

Casuals are welcome in my groups, I am a casual myself after all. But terribad players who somehow think they’re too good for the meta are definitely not welcome in my groups.

When it comes to the meta, this is my stance; you first have to understand and master the meta before you can defy it and play non-meta builds. If you bring a non-meta build to my group you better know what the f- you’re doing.

This is straying slightly off topic but my stance on the meta is; the meta tries* to optimise around a specific variable. Off-meta builds are just prioritising a different variable.

When it comes to who I enjoy playing with, really it’s down to the people rather than the builds. I’d honestly much rather have a magi healing warrior in the party who was happy with everyone else playing the way they wanted than a zerker warrior who rages at the condi ranger for not being a full magi druid, for example.

When people ask for build advice one of the key things that should be found out is what they want to prioritise with their build (not just what area of the game it’s for but what they want the focus of their build to be) rather than just a “you’re playing x, your focus must be y” or just blindly linking to metabattle.

*important to note is that it also doesn’t always succeed. In testing, you try to keep as many variables as possible static so as to compare the ones being tested, but some of the variables assumed to be static by the meta aren’t always reliable in the situations that the meta often assumes.

In short, the meta is a handy tool, but that’s no excuse for players to be. =P

(I’m not intending to be antagonistic or condescending here or anything, I just can’t resist a pun)

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: Blixtra.1648

Blixtra.1648

Not that I in anyway actually disagree with the sentiments of the OP, but why did this need a thread?

Because of people like me, perhaps. :P I am a fresh level 80 and I am still aimlessly wandering around wondering where I should pick up from or what to do. This thread tells me to relax.

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: xXMapcoXx.9614

xXMapcoXx.9614

It’s ok to go to dungeons or fractals with builds and classes that are what you enjoy playing first, and “optimal” second.

It’s ok to take the time and help someone in your party who is having difficulty playing, rather than flaming him and leaving to find another party.

It’s ok to not want to unlock every single item and achievement in game but rather those you like the most only.

It’s ok to consider 1000 hours of gaming a gigantic amount of time, and be happy enough doing dailies and a dungeon here and there a day.

It’s ok to lose an event or dungeon you had worked on for over an hour, and instead be glad you spent a great time with your friends.

It’s ok to not aim for legendary or ascended gear and instead enjoy the amazing content that is provided for nearly everyone with merely exotic gear.

It’s ok to enjoy figuring things out by yourself rather than using guides only to maximise efficiency.

Add more if you can.

Ok, glad you told us? I feel like this post was for your self and added nothing to anyone who read it!

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

This is straying slightly off topic but my stance on the meta is; the meta tries* to optimise around a specific variable. Off-meta builds are just prioritising a different variable.

When it comes to who I enjoy playing with, really it’s down to the people rather than the builds. I’d honestly much rather have a magi healing warrior in the party who was happy with everyone else playing the way they wanted than a zerker warrior who rages at the condi ranger for not being a full magi druid, for example.

When people ask for build advice one of the key things that should be found out is what they want to prioritise with their build (not just what area of the game it’s for but what they want the focus of their build to be) rather than just a “you’re playing x, your focus must be y” or just blindly linking to metabattle.

*important to note is that it also doesn’t always succeed. In testing, you try to keep as many variables as possible static so as to compare the ones being tested, but some of the variables assumed to be static by the meta aren’t always reliable in the situations that the meta often assumes.

In short, the meta is a handy tool, but that’s no excuse for players to be. =P

(I’m not intending to be antagonistic or condescending here or anything, I just can’t resist a pun)

I actually agree with you. I don’t follow the meta in open world and other game modes. I only do meta in raids because people get so gung-ho about sticking to it without realizing that doing mechanics properly matter more than meta.

In pvp, I basically change my builds every single match. I like to play around with different skills.

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

It’s ok to go to dungeons or fractals with builds and classes that are what you enjoy playing first, and “optimal” second.

It’s ok to take the time and help someone in your party who is having difficulty playing, rather than flaming him and leaving to find another party.

It’s ok to not want to unlock every single item and achievement in game but rather those you like the most only.

It’s ok to consider 1000 hours of gaming a gigantic amount of time, and be happy enough doing dailies and a dungeon here and there a day.

It’s ok to lose an event or dungeon you had worked on for over an hour, and instead be glad you spent a great time with your friends.

It’s ok to not aim for legendary or ascended gear and instead enjoy the amazing content that is provided for nearly everyone with merely exotic gear.

It’s ok to enjoy figuring things out by yourself rather than using guides only to maximise efficiency.

Add more if you can.

Ok, glad you told us? I feel like this post was for your self and added nothing to anyone who read it!

And yet others were sufficiently inspired by the post to contribute in a similar vein. Perhaps you might consider speaking to what it added (or didnt add) for you rather than claiming that other received no value from it…after they have already made clear that they did.

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: MoDerZocker.5913

MoDerZocker.5913

It is not okay to waste my f…. time by joining an LFG that was clearly not suited for you

Go Elitist or go Home

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: MoDerZocker.5913

MoDerZocker.5913

It’s okay to think outside meta and use a custom build and stay alive, instead of focussing on 100% DPS and then dying over and over cause you want to feel elite.

It’s okay to get your healing (fill in class here) and make sure ppl can finsih their content 10-15% slower instead of wiping 3 times and leaving unfinished

It’s not okay to get told by your friendly guild to git gud and it is ok to subsequently think: “Why should I need you, cause I’ve been playing this game for 4 yrs now and you know how to kill this , but fail at everything else, except at bragging about the 1 thing you can kill, even though I killed it as well and all the other stuff, maybe just a little slower, but on the 1st try”.

It’s okay to be content with your normal crafting routines and get your last class geared up fully, while others ping their 8th legendary, but are still bound to 2 classes.

It’s okay to craft your 8th legendary and accept you only have 2 classes

It’s ok to be who you want to be, when you want to , with who you want to.

It’s ok to play a game for fun.

If your party would run a proper meta party (and you have some kind of skill) you wouldnt have any problems with healing

Go Elitist or go Home

It's ok to be casual

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

no it isn’t

reee

Nalhadia – Kaineng