Item Info/ Tooltip - BAD!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: finkle.9513

finkle.9513

To the text/ designer for item description

Why am i forced to google everything in this game, every item has a nicely worded pile of pretentious waste of time …. to me it seems item description is there for a purpose, these do not even properly describe the item, or what it does, I could post loads of these for examples :

“Ley Line Infused Stone
The polarity of this stone is locked in a stable matrix. A Ley Line disrupting device could unlock its potential forces.”

Reasons it is so annoying:
1 . Im forced to spend a large amount of my gaming time using google
2 . I just craft/ forge/ use it, wasting 200+ hours of crafting material for a new back pack skin that i didnt even want!!

Posted by: finkle.9513

finkle.9513

This was deleted via mod

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

It is for flavor. This is an online roleplaying game. Tyria is a fantasy world with its own flavor, physics and stories.

Would you like it if instead of any actual dialogue, story NPCs would just say: "Your next goal is to kill X. Your next goal is to move to location Y. Click the “REWARD” button to receive your reward."?

How would you like it if swords were no longer called swords, but just “weapon 1”, and shortbows were “weapon 23”, hammers were “weapon 45”?
How would you like it if humans were just called “race 0”, norn were called “race 1”, charr were called, “race 2”, etc.
How would you like it if you discover cooking recipes (wait, I mean “craft 8 recipes”) by combining 1x Ingredient 62, 1x Ingredient 37 and 2x Ingredient 07?
How would you like it if items had no inventory icons at all?

I would have no fun if the game world’s veneer got removed and all I had left was a dull, faceless database to move around in.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

How can you tell what the backpack skin will be?

And, sounds like you should look for a Ley Line Disrupting device. Let’s see…where did we see something that disrupted the Ley Lines?

I’m happy things are not generic without flavor. So, Devs? Keep it up! =)

Posted by: JustCurious.3457

JustCurious.3457

You know if you double click on the item it shows you where to go right?

Classes: Guardian, Elementalist, Warrior, Thief, Engineer, Herald

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

I would have no fun if the game world’s veneer got removed and all I had left was a dull, faceless database to move around in.

- It’s an interesting argument you’re making. I think immersion is rather binary value. Either the game is designed so that these numbers don’t matter, or they do matter. If numbers don’t matter, why is everything represented with numbers? This skill deals a critical hit that lowers target’kitten points by 10,000. Nevermind that the target could have 4,600 or 156,000 or 49.500 hit points in total. There has to be consistency no matter which path you choose.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I don’t really buy the whole consistency thing. I’d be happy with a game without many numbers, or even any numbers, but I’m an exception to the rule. Most people like to know at least how much health they have.

On the other hand, just because you want to know that number, doesn’t mean you want to be a min/maxer and be totally distracted by numbers. There are extremes to both sides.

The problem is, if you make a game for one side or the other, you lose everyone in the middle. MMOs are like balancing acts. They’re weighted to one side or the other. Guild Wars 2 is weighted against the numbers game, compared to a lot of other MMOs. It’s trying to be more immersive, but still trying to give some number people enough to work with.

The balance has to be constantly adjusted as stuff is added to the game, to keep the maximum amount of players involved in the game.

So you can’t really have consistency, per se. The balance between immersion and number crunching is always in flux.

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

Consistency means you can’t have a situation where you deal 10,000 damage to a target whose health is not represented in numbers. That’s just poor design.

Immersion comes from looks: it makes sense that a big bulky monster deals a lot of damage. But health and damage are independent of looks. That’s not very immersive!