Item Prestige: Not being respected?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

Honestly they should just put legendaries and any ‘prestige’ in the gemshop for $20 or less so pve players can visualize how screwed over pvp’ers were with the recent rank/pvp changes.

[SoF]

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

I was thinking about the hall of monuments. If there is anything about “prestige” in gw2, its from the hall of monuments, and those rewards only come from playing gw1 and doing much of the end game content there. Other then that there is no gw2 prestige items. People wanted access to skins and items from previous content they missed, and it looks like they are getting it. So it does lose much of the status it had. However, only the gw1 titles amd skins have any amount of prestige anymore.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Saylu.8271

Saylu.8271

I was thinking about the hall of monuments. If there is anything about “prestige” in gw2, its from the hall of monuments, and those rewards only come from playing gw1 and doing much of the end game content there. Other then that there is no gw2 prestige items. People wanted access to skins and items from previous content they missed, and it looks like they are getting it. So it does lose much of the status it had. However, only the gw1 titles amd skins have any amount of prestige anymore.

Prestige only matter to those who care about them. Most people don’t really care if you walking around with “god walking amongst mere mortals” title or running around with legendary. Except for some occasional comments, it hardly matter. People think walking around with a living story skin impress people?

Posted by: PSX.9250

PSX.9250

This game needs more item tiers to be more competitive with the current market.

Posted by: Conski Deshan.2057

Conski Deshan.2057

NO, adding additional item tiers invalidates existing progress and is just pointless busy work it is one thing I don’t miss from traditional MMO’s.

Yeah. NONE of ANet’s testers ever managed to beat Liadri in her original incarnation. With her new graphical changes, I’ll be generous and say that 5% of players have managed to beat her in-game, including some who did it using the lifesteal method (and probable exploit). The majority of players still do not have the gear or skill to compete.

5% is a very high amount of people for what is currently meant to be the games toughest solo challenge. The exploit is also doing significant damage to its perceived challenge.

I’d hope for below 1% figures for some harder challenge content (before anyone freaks bare in mind that if the game has 1 million players 1% is still 10000 people which is a significant amount.

Honestly they should just put legendaries and any ‘prestige’ in the gemshop for $20 or less so pve players can visualize how screwed over pvp’ers were with the recent rank/pvp changes.

Two wrongs don’t make a right, I understand the anger over the Pvp changes but there is no need to direct that anger at Pve. (Legendaries are already purchasable through the gemstore anyway)

[RoF] and [BL] guild leader
11x level 80’s 80+ Titles 2600+ skins , still a long way to go.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

@saylu

Oh I agree completely. I dont care about titles or skins or dyes or minis or a number of other things people get way too excited about. The only comment I’ve gotten about my ascended heavy armor is that one of my guildies thinks I should change the look pf it, and remindes me every time we are in a party together :P

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: PowerCat.5738

PowerCat.5738

I agree. There should be a new tier called Super Legendary where you can upgrade your legendary to have twice the amount of particle effect for the price of 2000 gold

Posted by: Saylu.8271

Saylu.8271

I agree. There should be a new tier called Super Legendary where you can upgrade your legendary to have twice the amount of particle effect for the price of 2000 gold

Why only 1 tier? They should add over 9 thousand tiers and each tier require 2000 gold to upgrade. That should keep people occupy until they die of old age. /sarcasm

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Yeah. NONE of ANet’s testers ever managed to beat Liadri in her original incarnation. With her new graphical changes, I’ll be generous and say that 5% of players have managed to beat her in-game, including some who did it using the lifesteal method (and probable exploit). The majority of players still do not have the gear or skill to compete.

Most of this game is not about skill. It’s about finding the right build.

Most builds have a really hard time against Liadri. Some do not, and that’s how you beat her.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

NO, adding additional item tiers invalidates existing progress and is just pointless busy work it is one thing I don’t miss from traditional MMO’s.

5% is a very high amount of people for what is currently meant to be the games toughest solo challenge. The exploit is also doing significant damage to its perceived challenge.

I’d hope for below 1% figures for some harder challenge content (before anyone freaks bare in mind that if the game has 1 million players 1% is still 10000 people which is a significant amount.

Two wrongs don’t make a right, I understand the anger over the Pvp changes but there is no need to direct that anger at Pve. (Legendaries are already purchasable through the gemstore anyway)

Except not a single PvE player sided with the PvE players and tons of PvE and wvw players stormed our threads saying that we had to put our false prestige aside and let them do this for the betterment of the game.

So yeah, let Anet sell EVERYTHING for the betterment of the game. Mo money mo updates…. lol….

If course you can buy legendaries with a CC but they literally took a rank that required at least 8,000 hours of PvP and reduced it to 260 hours (and that’s from casual play with 50% winrate).

So yeah, let’s do that with legendaries too.

[SoF]

(edited by Lux.7169)

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

I wish they’d brought back more stuff, with the chance to play for it. All of the stuff that came back is stuff I already had or didn’t want. The only thing I’ve missed is the Mad Memories: Complete Edition which I’d really like the chance to get (preferably by playing through the content in an instance or something rather than just buying it).

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

I don’t give a kitten about item prestige and item re-release as long as the effort is more or less the same as the original.

Posted by: FearedbytheGods.8617

FearedbytheGods.8617

Its prestigious if you had to work hard to get it. Which in GW2 means grinding for legendaries, or getting dungeon armor.

lol

You don’t work hard for RNG…

You can work hard to price gouge and TP flip but you afk the entire time in LA and its no account for skill in actually playing.

NOT playing a game is legendary (and prestigious)?

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

Why would anyone design content specifically to exclude all but a vanishingly minuscule part of the playerbase?

Every time someone ask for female bodies and faces that aren’t scrawny babyteen sex dolls, or non-skimpy female armor, or armor for charr that actually fits nevermind looks good on them, or gear NOT designed exclusively with humans in mind but themed for sylvari, charr or norn, or better roleplay support, or player housing (the list probably could go on) … people will hasten to claim that nobody would play that or pick that, it’s a waste of resources, etc. etc.

Yet I’m pretty sure that all these wishes would be seconded by more than 1% of the playerbase. Many by more than 5%, probably.

So when people call for massively restricted content or skins, I get just a wee bit cynical of how actively excluding the majority, or pretty much everyone, or even “only” people who can’t play regularly or haven’t played without interruption from early access onwards, is a good idea and even a must … yet giving everyone more options and diversity or giving some much-needed love for a minority species is often dismissed as a waste.

FWIW, I beat Liadri today and it was a huge adrenaline rush that, yes, felt great partly because she’s so hard. Still, as with other fun aspects of a game, seeing more people do the same would never diminish my feelings in any way. I’ll cheer for anyone who beats her, or who beats another fight that was tough for them, because I know how good it feels to succeed at last.

Posted by: Conski Deshan.2057

Conski Deshan.2057

Every time someone ask for female bodies and faces that aren’t scrawny babyteen sex dolls, or non-skimpy female armor, or armor for charr that actually fits nevermind looks good on them, or gear NOT designed exclusively with humans in mind but themed for sylvari, charr or norn, or better roleplay support, or player housing (the list probably could go on) … people will hasten to claim that nobody would play that or pick that, it’s a waste of resources, etc. etc.

Yet I’m pretty sure that all these wishes would be seconded by more than 1% of the playerbase. Many by more than 5%, probably.

So when people call for massively restricted content or skins, I get just a wee bit cynical of how actively excluding the majority, or pretty much everyone, or even “only” people who can’t play regularly or haven’t played without interruption from early access onwards, is a good idea and even a must … yet giving everyone more options and diversity or giving some much-needed love for a minority species is often dismissed as a waste.

It’s just like Liadri 100% of people can try the content but you want it to be so hard that it feels like a challenge , a wall to climb/ do or die sorta thing. It’s not with exclusion in mind its with challenge in mind something to strive for.

You can’t make the game so easy that everyone can do everything so you design content in tiers with a % of the population in mind that can complete it. For example the Clocktower JP was designed with 10% in mind if I remember the designer talking about it in a redpost correctly.

Secondly I am pro housing and was campaigning for it as much as I could during the CDI. They don’t have to be exclusively one or the other.

[RoF] and [BL] guild leader
11x level 80’s 80+ Titles 2600+ skins , still a long way to go.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

And you can still do that endgame content in GW1 to get the HoM stuff for Guild Wars 2.

Most of this game is not about skill. It’s about finding the right build.

Most builds have a really hard time against Liadri. Some do not, and that’s how you beat her.

The “Right build” is worthless if you don’t know how to play it.

(edited by Sartharina.3542)

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

…..
Do you all seriously believe there should not be ANY “you had to be there” items?

“You had to be there”, items are fine, but nobody EVER said they would be “exclusive” and never obtainable again. THAT idea (that they are supose to be NEVER be made available again) is just not a reasonable assumption to make.

I don’t give a kitten about item prestige and item re-release as long as the effort is more or less the same as the original.

This. If it is much easier to obtain the item when re-released, there is a valid complaint to be made….not about the re-release, but about the method of acquisition.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

…..
Do you all seriously believe there should not be ANY “you had to be there” items?

“You had to be there”, items are fine, but nobody EVER said they would be “exclusive” and never obtainable again. THAT idea (that they are supose to be NEVER be made available again) is just not a reasonable assumption to make.

If you can get it again later, you didn’t “have to be there.”

That’s the meaning of the term “you had to be there.” You… had to be there.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

It’s just like Liadri 100% of people can try the content but you want it to be so hard that it feels like a challenge , a wall to climb/ do or die sorta thing. It’s not with exclusion in mind its with challenge in mind something to strive for.

What you (general you, not you specifically) want is the illusion of difficulty. You want it to be so hard that you feel challenged, that you can feel pride you managed to do it. But at the same time you want to feel pride you managed to do it.
In the end people never really ask for a challenge they cannot pass (though are often perfectly okay with the challenge being hard enough that anyone else will be excluded). Which means that the contend needs to be easy enough to let them pass. It just need to present it as an accomplishment. Something that separates you from the “unworthy”. An illusory challenge.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Chadramar.8156

In the end people never really ask for a challenge they cannot pass (though are often perfectly okay with the challenge being hard enough that anyone else will be excluded). Which means that the contend needs to be easy enough to let them pass. It just need to present it as an accomplishment. Something that separates you from the “unworthy”. An illusory challenge.

That right there — especially the bit in the parantheses — is my general impression of people who are very vocal about how content needs to be more difficult, yes. And once they feel “too many” people “encroach” on their success-territory, it becomes a chorus of this isn’t hard at all, a lobotomized monkey could do it, faceroll LOL, just AFK and press 111111111. Anything to keep other people from feeling accomplished and happy, too.

And at the end of the day, that is usually my problem with people calling for exclusive things or for “respect” for “prestige”. Not in every case, of course, but at least a hint of it will always be there.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

I think some are missing the point, or maybe misunderstanding. It’s not about keeping other people from having something, its about keeping the method of getting it the same.

Think of something you’re proud of, some achievement/item/whatever that you spent time on or worked for. A legendary, Volcanus, one of the other exotic skins, the yakslapper achievement. Now imagine its available to purchase for 10 festival tokens.
Wouldn’t you feel just a bit slighted?

I don’t care if 100% of players get the Liadri mini or the Blazing Light title, but I’d want them to have fought her to get it (even if anet decided to make her a little easier, as long as they fight her for it)

And they should be permanently available to work on.
We don’t want “You had be there, sorry you can’t ever have it”
We want, “You had to be there, but you can still go there and get it

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Chadramar.8156

There is no united point to miss here, really. What you’re saying is quite different from people who do not think content should be permanently available, or who dislike seeing others having the same things as they do because that makes the shinies less shiny in their eyes. I can understand and support what you’re saying, though I mostly function in an “I like this because it looks good to me and/or I enjoyed the process of getting it” kind of way.

Still, what does annoy me is people who make a big show of getting an item or title that used to be “high status” and flaunt it for attention as if it was still hard to get, as opposed to picking it up because they just happen to like it. People who flaunt things for attention that ARE hard to get annoy me too, just a little less, but at least they cared enough — for whatever reason — to actually put in the work.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Having acquired most of these items the first time around I say this is all bunk. I was very happy to see many of the items available, especially the Fervid Censor, a one time item that a lot of people had lost just before wardrobe and were complaining about.

I think it was a good thing that ANet provided these items again for everyone. You still have the achievements and any possible titles that were only available the first time around, let new people have the skins

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

What are you talking about don’t you like those rocks in the rankup chest?

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.