Items and Crafting feel Worthless

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Bolthar.7192

Bolthar.7192

I have said this before but crafting is unexciting until you hit level 400 pretty much. This is because everything looks the same! This game is a cosmetic-centered game. There is no gear STAT grind, but there is a gear AESTHETIC “grind.”

Leveling up crafting you see only the same boring gear with that same level 1 look. Leveling up in general is the same way! This needs to change.

Some item skins in the game are only gained through crafting, but they are again past the lvl 400 mark. There should be more unique items, possibly named items that can be crafted all the way through the craft leveling process. This would give crafting and items more value in the game.

This is mostly, I think, why blues and greens in the game, and even rare items, have such little value. There are no unique skins, only the same 4 or so per armor weight.

New skins should be added into the game. Period. Many of these skins should be found on blue and green and even rare items. Not only these items, but many of them should be. Some of these items could be given iconic names that people know and look for for that items skin and only drop in certain areas. This would help a great deal to add value to items in the game.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Funny I always thought that there were tons of skins in the game…….you can see them all in the wardrobe.

As for crafting yes they may have the boring old skins but the purpose of crafting them tbh is for the stats, period. Then you can throw on whatever skin you like later.

I don’t find crafting boring and I also manage to make cash off it from time to time. Mind you I gather everything that I use pretty much and I level up mostly through the discovery part of the system. Another thing to realise is it really does not take much effort/time to lvl up crafts if you have the gear or cash. So they don’t really expect us to be crafting for too long unless we craft in many or all crafts (like I do on 4 diff chars so that I cover them all).

Not sure what I’m really trying to say actually lol. Except that I think crafting is fine, it’s fun for those who find it fun and it can be rewarding for those that do a bit of research into seeing what makes the best cash from the items they can make.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Spiral.3724

Spiral.3724

I agree with some of what OP is saying. As a tailor, there is nothing unique about the clothes I make until level 400. I wish that there were unique-looking clothes to tailor so that my craft had value.
As a chef, I sell some food on the TP, but mostly I just cook for my own use.
I think all crafting types should have something unique and valuable about them to make them worthwhile.

Spiral Madheart – Level 80 Mesmer
The Wrong Crowd [bAd] Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Bolthar.7192

Bolthar.7192

Funny I always thought that there were tons of skins in the game…….you can see them all in the wardrobe.

As for crafting yes they may have the boring old skins but the purpose of crafting them tbh is for the stats, period. Then you can throw on whatever skin you like later.

I don’t find crafting boring and I also manage to make cash off it from time to time. Mind you I gather everything that I use pretty much and I level up mostly through the discovery part of the system. Another thing to realise is it really does not take much effort/time to lvl up crafts if you have the gear or cash. So they don’t really expect us to be crafting for too long unless we craft in many or all crafts (like I do on 4 diff chars so that I cover them all).

Not sure what I’m really trying to say actually lol. Except that I think crafting is fine, it’s fun for those who find it fun and it can be rewarding for those that do a bit of research into seeing what makes the best cash from the items they can make.

There are a lot of skins in the game, but if you could filter out all the skins that you can only get through the gem store, or that are only available to other races, or only available through the Hall of Monuments (few but still) and you looked at this in each armor weight, slot by slot, I think you would see what I’m saying.

Also I don’t think they intended crafting to be just something you do for a little while. It is there I believe because there are people who like to craft in MMO’s and as it stands it feels lacking and boring and in a lot of ways unprofitable (I am not saying that you can’t make a profit off it).

Everything is fun for those who find it fun. I believe that crafting can be more compelling and exciting to more people if more skins were added to it from beginning to end and some of those unique. Would you disagree? Would you really be upset if this happened? I really am not trying to bash on this part of the game to where others need to defend the honor of GW2, I’m just expressing my opinion that there is room for improvement that could have a large and positive impact on not only crafting, but leveling and the economy.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

There are a lot of skins in the game, but if you could filter out all the skins that you can only get through the gem store, or that are only available to other races, or only available through the Hall of Monuments (few but still) and you looked at this in each armor weight, slot by slot, I think you would see what I’m saying.

Also I don’t think they intended crafting to be just something you do for a little while. It is there I believe because there are people who like to craft in MMO’s and as it stands it feels lacking and boring and in a lot of ways unprofitable (I am not saying that you can’t make a profit off it).

Everything is fun for those who find it fun. I believe that crafting can be more compelling and exciting to more people if more skins were added to it from beginning to end and some of those unique. Would you disagree? Would you really be upset if this happened? I really am not trying to bash on this part of the game to where others need to defend the honor of GW2, I’m just expressing my opinion that there is room for improvement that could have a large and positive impact on not only crafting, but leveling and the economy.

Well I do agree that more rewards could be added to crafting, I’m just saying I don’t think it should necessarily be more skins. It takes a long time for them just to do one new armour set. So I could see new armour skins taking a long time (also a lot of work which Anet may not want to do) to add to the game. Perhaps single pieces of things here and there like maybe new back pieces, water breathers with unique skins sure. Maybe even toys and other fun things, things that would not necessarily take too much time to work on.

I will give cooking as an example. I absolutely loved training that skill up mainly because of all the cool recipes to unlock. Just seeing them all (even if the actual uses of them was not so great) was fun and sort of a mystery as to what was next/figuring out. Maybe if they also added more things to discover per craft like this, that are not necessarily weapon/armour related it could also give that discovery/fun feeling to it.

Capes, give capes to tailoring, now that I could see being profitable and fun!

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Leveling up crafting you see only the same boring gear with that same level 1 look. Leveling up in general is the same way! This needs to change.

According to the wiki, there are 7 different tiers and looks of crafted armor for each weight class. Only the last two (Exotic and Ascended) require Level 400 and beyond in the appropriate Crafting Disciple. Either this quote is an exaggeration for effect, or some crafted armor tiers were missed.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Armor_set#Crafted_armor

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

According to the wiki, there are 7 different tiers and looks of crafted armor for each weight class. Either this quote is an exaggeration for effect, or some crafted armor tiers were missed.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Armor_set#Crafted_armor

Could be both an exaggeration and an oversight. Wouldnt surprise me if it was.

Posted by: Dreamslayer.7659

Dreamslayer.7659

I made most of the money to make my Juggernaut from crafting as a Tailor.

I personally see skins and items as distinct. If I can craft an item, I don’t care what it looks like because if it’s something I will use regularly, I’m probably going to transmute it.

Also, at least for weapons, there are items you can craft with better skins, but they are cost/item gated, not crafting skill or experience gated.

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

As a tailor, there is nothing unique about the clothes I make until level 400.

As somebody above already mentioned, there actually are 8 sets of skins per armour class that are exclusively crafted, six of them before you hit 400 in your craft (one skin set per crafting tier plus an extra one for rares).

You usually can get these cheap off the trading post, since there is usually more supply than demand, but adding even twice as many skin sets to crafting won’t change that, as the number of tailors (or leatherworkers or armorsmiths) trying to sell their wares will still quickly exceed the number of characters that need said armour while leveling.

Posted by: Alora.6841

Alora.6841

You get new skins every 75 crafting levels. Obviously, you didn’t craft at all or you destroyed everything you crafted because you only care about lvl 80 gear. The wiki and Inculpatus are correct.

I am Commander Shepard and Evons Company is my favorite store in Lion’s Arch.

Posted by: Gearbox.2748

Gearbox.2748

o.O
every tier of the craftings have a unique skin look. and several extra skins can be found in karma shops for crafting.

Many minor races have their own craftable skins. all from Grawl Godforged to Hyllack Sunbeads.

Just because players are sheep and only focus on the same skins- it does not mean that the skins are not available.

One of my mesmers wear attached. very distinct only available with crafting.

Attachments:

Posted by: Rynn.1324

Rynn.1324

Protip: You can apply the skin of a higher level armor to that of a lower level item. That should be plenty of incentive by itself.

[Tarnished Coast] Lizzibeth Huffles, Asuran Genius (Engineer) at Play

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I agree with others that there are currently a lot of skins in the game.

I also agree that we could use some new armors in the game, not just the gem store. I don’t believe they need to tied to crafting necessarily. They could put 1 piece at the end of 6 different jumping puzzles as a JP reward, for example. That would be cool with me.

I also agree with the OP that there needs to be a little something ‘more’ to crafting. Something to make it a little more desirable in some instances. I know a lot of people find it unrewarding and lackluster. I like the system, but I think we need more incentive to build the crafts. Perhaps adding some type of account bonus (tailors can salvage or earn ‘x’ more ‘cloth type’ at ‘y’ level) or something. In a lot of instances crafting is a gold sink, rather than a gold maker, and that doesn’t seem right imo.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Especially for light armor i think there are quite some good looking armors starting already with the lowest levels. At least for female characters.

Heavy armor however looks mostly bad at lower levels and only get some decent sets in higher levels, and medium .. we don’t need to talk about that

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Alex.9567

Alex.9567

i just wish my character didnt look so static when crafting.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

i just wish my character didnt look so static when crafting.

Yeah .. something like the crafting animations in AION would be great. I really loved especially the cooking animations there

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.