Its not actually that hard to

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Serious Thought.5394

Serious Thought.5394

Make money. Yep, I went there. I know its not a big thing on this forum, but its not a HoT only discussion. A lot of people I play with in game, who I talk to on forums, hear on map chat, etc all say “Its impossible to earn money”. I’m BAD at making money, and when I take 5 minutes to figure out a get-rich-quick-scheme, I usually break 10g an hour. What’s the method?

Step 1) Acquire a Pen and Notebook if you are really going for a big goal (2k gold or so), otherwise ignore this step. It is however a good practice to have this in your life for other reasons, but thats my opinion.
Step 2) Open the trading post and check all the mats. Wood, Venom, Blood, Leather, Cloth, Ore, etc. Write down the price in your notebook marking the names clearly so you don’t think later “wut did I write? was I drunk?”.
Step 3) Find the highest pricing ~group~ of items. Group by level, not by item. For instance, I am currently farming a combination of leather/bags/cloth that nets me 1g per 5 or 6 minutes if I go slow.
Step 4) Next week (doesn’t have to be on the dot, but you get the idea) write the prices down. Make sure to mark rises.

OR. There is like a trading post website. =/ But I like having my answer next to me instead of using a search bar. Point being, so long as people like me can make this money (and like I said, I am bad. I use sell instantly .-.) then so can everyone else. If prices were truly dropping in the trading post, then EVERYTHING would drop. But, oddly, legendaries and ascended materials are staying the same. How odd. Have a great day, hope I helped. Not sure what the TP website is though.

Worst Thief in the world, yes I am.

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

except not everyone likes playing the trading post.

Serious Thought.5394

Except, you know, you aren’t. You literally just write down items that are high in price and PLAY THE GAME TO FARM THEM. Flipping TP is something I can’t do. Much. But when I do its around 25-30g.

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

I never play the trading post. My storage is loaded and when I need new space I just sell.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Many people knows that playing with TP nets a lot of gold (I’m sure that most, if not all, the richest players gets their income from TP) but for many it is extremely boring or either they don’t quite get what and when to buy materials to flip it and end losing gold instead.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: JoeytheHutt.1742

JoeytheHutt.1742

It isnt hard to make gold in this game. But lots of people seems to find it hard to make it in what they consider a decent speed. I am not disagreeing with you, just an observation. Personally I dont think to much about gold, though I try to catch spikes, as my bank tend to fill up before I remember to sell.

Posted by: Substatic.6958

Substatic.6958

Make money. Yep, I went there. I know its not a big thing on this forum, but its not a HoT only discussion. A lot of people I play with in game, who I talk to on forums, hear on map chat, etc all say “Its impossible to earn money”. I’m BAD at making money, and when I take 5 minutes to figure out a get-rich-quick-scheme, I usually break 10g an hour. What’s the method?

Step 1) Acquire a Pen and Notebook if you are really going for a big goal (2k gold or so), otherwise ignore this step. It is however a good practice to have this in your life for other reasons, but thats my opinion.
Step 2) Open the trading post and check all the mats. Wood, Venom, Blood, Leather, Cloth, Ore, etc. Write down the price in your notebook marking the names clearly so you don’t think later “wut did I write? was I drunk?”.
Step 3) Find the highest pricing ~group~ of items. Group by level, not by item. For instance, I am currently farming a combination of leather/bags/cloth that nets me 1g per 5 or 6 minutes if I go slow.
Step 4) Next week (doesn’t have to be on the dot, but you get the idea) write the prices down. Make sure to mark rises.

OR. There is like a trading post website. =/ But I like having my answer next to me instead of using a search bar. Point being, so long as people like me can make this money (and like I said, I am bad. I use sell instantly .-.) then so can everyone else. If prices were truly dropping in the trading post, then EVERYTHING would drop. But, oddly, legendaries and ascended materials are staying the same. How odd. Have a great day, hope I helped. Not sure what the TP website is though.

WOW. That sounds like TONS of fun!

Let me just put down this Fallout 4 so I hurry up and log into GW2 to do that exciting stuff you just listed!

Serious Thought.5394

@Belz- you aren’t flipping. You are farming a map.
@Joey- I know. Just trying to help players that want to just play the game for a good deal of gold. Farmed for 20 minutes now (Showed a guildie the pathing) and I got 4g. I’m sitting at the “you sold too many items too fast, so go sit down and chill” screen. That’s fast enough for me. I still got 20 slots of money to sell through.
@Substatic- I know right. It is so fun to discover new ways to have fun and play things you already played. Let me just put down GW2 and go play Fallout 4, a game that I found insanely ~boring~. Woohoo. I love Fallout 4, I rip my hair out. =)

Am willing to teach people in game, it is honestly the least grindie thing I have done in this game.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

@Belz- you aren’t flipping. You are farming a map.

OH, I see.
You 1st check the items that in high demand/price and then farm it, I assume also using the weekly map bonuses.
That is quite clever.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Serious Thought.5394

=D Kessex is my money farm when I’m lazy. Cursed Shore when I wanna lead. Kessex is more definite 10-12. CS is more like if good 15-16, if bad 7-8.

Posted by: Zex.3618

Zex.3618

There is like a trading post website.

https://www.gw2spidy.com/

use this site if you miss spreadsheets in space.

Serious Thought.5394

Thank you, gonna tab that. I prefer my notebook, but thats help too.

Posted by: Chad.6104

Chad.6104

There is like a trading post website.

https://www.gw2spidy.com/

use this site if you miss spreadsheets in space.

If I remember correctly, spidy is no longer being updated and the maker of it no longer plays the game. The site I think is better is gw2tp.com

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

except not everyone likes playing the trading post.

That’s a lot of the problem too.

“This game is impossible to make money! I’m always broke!”

Well you could do X, Y, or Z and make some decent money.

“I don’t like doing those things!”

Well I’d like to get paid for playing video games, but that’s not in the cards for me, so I work an office job to make money.

As long as you aren’t spending, you can make money doing pretty much anything in this game. Sell your components, ectos, and supply bags when you’re done doing whatever it is you’re doing. Most people salvage everything, deposit collectibles, then complain they didn’t make any money.

Doing the fractal dailies has proven to be quite lucrative. Despite what the forum warriors might have you believe. I certainly make more from fractals per hour than I ever used to. Just gotta get those dailies done.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

This is a solid method that I’ve had to resort to since the expansion launched. It’s easy enough to do even without a notebook.

However, it is also excruciatingly boring. You kind of left out how utterly exhausting and dull it can be to run around drab, low level maps full of uninteresting enemies (comparatively, for all it’s flaws Maguuma is at least vibrant).

That’s why so many players struggle to make gold; we basically have to choose between fun and profit. An hour of logging and you start to question why you even play this kittening game in the first place.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I do not consider playing the trading post as playing GW2. Its the same than trading gems to gold imo.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Serious Thought.5394

@Jahr- its not really boring for me tbh. SW was boring. A lap of kessex with mob kills and events in between is not that boring. Bum rushing all the events in CS isn’t really too dreary. Doing a chestrun in SW for an hour and obtaining 6g then asking why its so low and getting “thats the highest in game” is boring.

Serious Thought.5394

Decided to continue this (as my personal adventure into figuring this out continues as well):

A good way to make money, so long as you have mild patience is to list absolutely EVERYTHING. Never sell instantly, list all your gear because someone will buy it eventually.

Another minor tip is sometimes people will make a buy order, then set a sell order right above it (like 1 copper) so people will list on it. If the difference is rather large and the sell order quantity is low- buy the sell order, relist it. Only do it maybe once or twice, not consistently.

=) Hope this helped. Logged in today to 7 gold in my TP.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Been here, done this. While it’s not necessarily “bad” advice, for many people, a lot of the things you’re talking about farming to sell are things they need for some task or another. Only in some cases is it more profitable to sell those items and then buy whatever they were planning on making with it, but not all. Ends up being a bit of a catch 22 at times.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Serious Thought.5394

This is mostly for people who say “XYZ 2 expensive”. I understand that keeping items you need is good, but when you just want money to buy object A then thats what this is for.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Ya know, normally my first thought would be “shouldn’t that just be common sense though?” I really should know better by now.

Common sense…. not so common…

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: ChrizZcE.5981

ChrizZcE.5981

that sounds almost as fun as chest farming in the silverwastes

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

@Serious Thought: your advice is sound — it’s a good way to gain wealth quickly, with doing typical in-game tasks and only a tiny bit of research (the writing down bit). There are, of course, other methods — I think that’s besides the point.

I also like that your offering advice from one none-power-trader to other none-experts, so (in my opinion) it’s more accessible.

tl;dr Keep on keeping on — I think it’s useful advice for people who might not always relate to the other wealth tips published here.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

This is in no way “playing the TP”, you farm stuff and sell it- it really is that simple.

Serious Thought.5394

I will probably necro this more and more as I figure it out more and more. I really want Bolt…like I am jonesing soooo hard. Only got 50g, but I made that in 2 days with 4 hours of play between them. Logged in today after 5 hours of work, I have “Funds 6(gold)42(silver)65(copper)” and all I did before my shift for two hours was hit some Cursed Shores. Even leader’d myself. Btw, vials of powerful blood is rising again- some new recipe release that needs it? Only noticed because I crafted my runes of evasion and noticed 60 silver…

Posted by: Skyline Crash.6254

Skyline Crash.6254

its not hard to make money. but it is hard to make a lot of money. for example, you can easily deck your character out in full exotic (except for super expensive stat sets) but beyond that is harder. full ascended? 800g+ for a set. legendary? 2k+

so yeah

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

You know, everybody knows that right now it’s easy to make money by harvesting materials. The issue is that some consider if they should spend their gaming time running around between nodes or if there should be more?

Posted by: SirPrizeBartSachs.4670

SirPrizeBartSachs.4670

How do you farm cloth and leather? Specifically the lower tier ones, not the common thick leather and silk from salvaging lvl 80 blues and greens.

Posted by: Bruno.3812

Bruno.3812

How do you farm cloth and leather? Specifically the lower tier ones, not the common thick leather and silk from salvaging lvl 80 blues and greens.

Two main ways that I know of. One is killing mobs that drop bags in the map level that those cloth and leather are from. Those bags will have cloth and leather of that level. The other is having an alt of a particular level open up all containers. For example I have a level 60 open up all champ bags, PvP containers, gear bags, etc to get linen, platinum and leather of that level.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

These aren’t bad sites either.

http://www.gw2shinies.com/

https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/

GW2BLTC’s TP filter includes est. volume of trades so you can use that instead of demand to pick the items you want to farm.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Right now, I’m having a hard time figuring out how people aren’t making money.

A)Do Verdant Brink. Flax is good cash, the crowbars have good loot, you can trade the airship parts for loot bags, there’s champions everywhere and enough mobs to get good loot.

B)Do Auric Basin. There’s ancient/ori nodes everywhere, the events are easy to follow, and a well participated map gives you enough Aurilium to buy 27 keys, which is how much you need for the easiest meta in all 4 map lists.

C)Do Tangled Depths. This one is hard, so currently you may need a guild, but once you get crystals, Chak Acid brings bank. The crystal caches are everywhere, and you can loot a ton of them. There’s also a big flax farm here, too. A successful meta event can fill your inventory twice over plus some change, and you can get some cool zerg themed weapons out of it, too. The important thing is that with the specific ascended mats you get out of those crystal caches, you can craft ley-line infused tools, which sell for twice as much as it costs to make them.

D)Do all of the maps. Get the ascended materials, and craft Fulgurite Crystals. 25 Crystals can get you Jeweled Damask Patches, and 50 fulgurite crystals can get you a Jeweled Deldrimoor Steel Plated Dowel. Both are worth about twice what it costs to buy the raw materials, but you need to do the metas on all 3 maps. At the time of writing this, Jeweel Deldrimoor goes for 120G and Jeweled Damask goes for 50g.

E)Dragon Stand. You still get amazing loot out of this place, even if you don’t buy all of the machetes with the other map currencies. Just appear at reset time (30 minutes past every odd hour, might be different in your area), and have a blast. The events are fairly simple and usually succeed.

F)Silverwastes. Still worth a lot of cash.

G)Drytop. Coarse Sand is valuable, and Drytop rains the stuff.

H)There’s always basic gathering. Wood and Ores are quite valuable right now. If you’ve got a watchwork pick, even more so. This method is low maintenance, so you can watch TV while you do it.

I)I’m pretty sure event trains are still run in Cursed Shore and EotM. With the new map rewards, you can get a bit more cash than you’re used to. Even Karka Shell farming is better with these map rewards.

J)Dungeon rewards were lessened. Not removed. You can still run dungeons. Just grab your glass cannon gear and go for it. Most of the places have been power creeped anyway. The important thing is to spend your tokens wisely, buying the right gear to salvage for insignias, inscriptions, and ectoplasm.

Actually, that whole “max DPS” thing is advice that can go for anywhere. The faster something is dead, the faster you get loot and move on.

K) TP flipping is a thing. Just saying. As it happens, due to the high demand of Deldrimor and Spiritwood, it is currently a profit to buy their materials, craft them, then sell them. You can put this in with other dailies such as flax farming and quartz farming.

My question is, what are you doing that isn’t making cash? If you’re anywhere near level 80 content you should be making bank. If your complaint is that “everything that I want to do doesn’t make money”, then that is a wholly different problem than “I can’t make money”. You can. Very easily.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: Kerin.9125

Kerin.9125

I wish stuff bought off the TP wasn’t re-listable, I hate leeches that live off the back of others.

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

I wish stuff bought off the TP wasn’t re-listable, I hate leeches that live off the back of others.

I agree. If Anet were really serious about looking after their economy they would put this mechanism in place, it would go a long way to helping.

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

The point is it’s hard to make gold from doing “fun contents”.

Map bonus is the closest to getting valuable loots while having relatively ok-ish game experience.

For the rest, like logging soft wood, it’d net you a lot of gold, but the process is extremely boring, and wouldn’t be considered “playing the game” by many people.

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Please no more of this “leeching traders” crap again. It has already been discussed at length that free trade isn’t evil. It goes through the same song and dance over and over again.

You’re not eliminating free trade. It is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Posted by: Kerin.9125

Kerin.9125

Please no more of this “leeching traders” crap again. It has already been discussed at length that free trade isn’t evil. It goes through the same song and dance over and over again.

It’s open to debate whether ‘free trade’ is a good thing or not, that’s not the issue, the issue is the leechers are typical middle-men, they add no value but simply leech cash out of others’ work.

You may like the idea, you may even do it, I loathe it, I loathe middle-men!

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

It’s open to debate whether ‘free trade’ is a good thing or not, that’s not the issue, the issue is the leechers are typical middle-men, they add no value but simply leech cash out of others’ work.

You may like the idea, you may even do it, I loathe it, I loathe middle-men!

Its really not open to debate. There’s no evidence for restricting re-trade being beneficial. There’s plenty of evidence that the current system for re-trade is beneficial. Middle men aren’t leeching anything. Hell, given the variability of the market, half the time they give you money. If not by being wrong about the direction of market turns, by being wrong about the degree of the market turn. I have yet to hear a single case that isn’t based in utter naivete or wrought with jealousy for the restricting of trading base goods.

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

It’s a game, not the real world. The less materialistic and economic-based an MMO is the better it is.

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

It’s a game, not the real world. The less materialistic and economic-based an MMO is the better it is.

There is nothing wrong with an MMO having a thriving economy, and making the game less based on the economy would not be an improvement.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

There is nothing wrong with an MMO having a thriving economy, and making the game less based on the economy would not be an improvement.

Thriving economy is one thing, building the entire game around it’s economic systems is an entirely different matter.

Pointless to discuss that any further though, this is one aspect of this game’s design that is certainly not going to change.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

This is a game.

What you describe is basically stopping playing the game to ‘work’ for other players.

Players should not have to slave away several hours endlessly pressing F against some nodes, to make things easier for those with inordinate amounts of gold gained in more than shady ways.

Most of those items are needed for many recipes. So you are basically saying “Stop playing the game for yourself, and play it for the rich. They’ll give you a negligible bit of their gold in exchange for you wasting your time doing the things they find boring, while they spend their time making much more coin than you’ll ever do by doing their boring work for them”.

For starters, all nodes are wrong. You can gather them with multiple characters, and some recharge in mere hours. That should simply not happen. It may seem like you can get more materials that way, but that design precisely makes them give less materials, and allows a few players to get way more materials from them if they spend more time farming them, which in turn makes you have to spend more time doing them as recipes get material costs considering not what the average player can get, but what the grindiest behavior can net you.

People who want something are indirectly ‘forced’ into loading many characters and repeatedly being stuck in one place doing the same task over and over for what can be hours.

Instead, they should take a much longer to recharge (from 1 day minimum to 1 week for things like rich nodes and node farms), be more numerous, completely account wide, share their locations across instances of the same map so players can share them better, and give much more materials than they give now to compensate the much greater recharge time. This way it won’t matter which character you use, you’ll never feel like you are wasting time by taking a detour to get one node on your way to somewhere else, and you’ll gain more materials by exploring more and visiting more maps, instead being stuck in the 1-2 maps with the thing concentrated in one spot.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Posted by: Werdx.2059

Werdx.2059

Well mr intelligent,you got it all figured out.

Posted by: Werdx.2059

Werdx.2059

Decided to continue this (as my personal adventure into figuring this out continues as well):

A good way to make money, so long as you have mild patience is to list absolutely EVERYTHING. Never sell instantly, list all your gear because someone will buy it eventually.

Another minor tip is sometimes people will make a buy order, then set a sell order right above it (like 1 copper) so people will list on it. If the difference is rather large and the sell order quantity is low- buy the sell order, relist it. Only do it maybe once or twice, not consistently.

=) Hope this helped. Logged in today to 7 gold in my TP.

While you risk and sweat for 5 gold a hour,i earn 25 gold hour without risking and doing tp.

Enjoy your farming

Serious Thought.5394

Okie mate ^.^ how? I just wanted to help people who didn’t know how to get gold. Just trying to be helpful and for some reason you go for a personal attack? =(

Posted by: Wolfeng.3784

Wolfeng.3784

Ohh wonderful, instead of playing the game I will endure the slow system that is the TP to sell and buy items… HOW FUN.

Posted by: Yamialexa.5103

Yamialexa.5103

I don’t know, people, but if you don’t want to earn gold that way, simply DON’T earn gold that way. No need to bash people who use this method.

Personally, I admit that most of the time I’m too lazy to check all the different prices. I’ve dabbled a bit in trading before, but always rather small scale. Also, I’m a hoarder, so I don’t really want to part with any mats I find, unless I’m really drowning in them (looking at you, mithril!)

(edited by Yamialexa.5103)

Posted by: Cyrotek.7019

Cyrotek.7019

It isn’t hard to make gold fast. It is just annoying and boring as hell.