Jade at Field of the Fallen?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mikuchan.7261

Mikuchan.7261

So in the new Lion’s Arch, there’s the memorial to the west, by White Crane Terrace, called Field of the Fallen.
It has 2 floors, the bottom being cavelike with floor, some of the walls and decorative waves made out of jade.

But where did the Jade come from?
It’s a rather massive amount of Jade.
The only place I can recall from Tyria having Jade is Cantha.

So are trade routes open with Cantha again?
The Zephyrites didn’t bring it, for obvious reasons.
Or did they figure out some way to extract jade from Fractals of the Mists?
Or is it perhaps a plot hole?

I’d love to know

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Resource gathering from fractals sounds very lucrative yet dangerous, exactly what I would expect the consortium to do.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I thought I had seen a Jade block in LA recently either before or after the update.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Maybe it’s treated quartz, dyed green? I suspect the Asura. They’re shady little characters. Always messing around in their labs.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Countess Aire.9410

Countess Aire.9410

Cantha is still in the world, just locked off from non-human races. With it being a island will still n3ed to trade so no plot hole.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Cantha confirmed!
I wish

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

Was it Elona or Cantha that was blocked off due to Zhaitan?

Posted by: digitalruse.9085

digitalruse.9085

Cantha.

And from a lore perspective, the first blow was the Kaineng government (Ministry of Purity) basically exiled all non-human races from their sphere of influence. The Zhaitan made it worse by physically cutting it off. Now that Zhaitan is gone, the Ministry of Purity’s edict is likely still in effect if they are in power.

FWIW, Elona was cut off by Palwa Joko and then, again, Zhaitan’s minions occupied the border between the two nations.

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I thought I had seen a Jade block in LA recently either before or after the update.

You’re thinking of the Jade Sea fossils that were in the Durmand Priory’s vaults.

Considering there was a lot of Jade in Cantha it’s not at all hard to believe a lot was imported to Tyria before the Ministry of Purity and Zhaitan cut it off.

Alternatively although jade was mainly associated with Cantha in GW1 that could be simply because it was so easily available there (at least since the Jade Wind), and because in real life it’s commonly associated with China and other Eastern cultures and that’s what Cantha was based on. There’s no reason it couldn’t be found in Tyria (and Elona) too.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Mikuchan.7261

Resource gathering from fractals sounds very lucrative yet dangerous, exactly what I would expect the consortium to do.

I do agree. But would it be possible? You can’t bring Dessa out, so can you bring material out? You do get loot though..

Cantha is still in the world, just locked off from non-human races. With it being a island will still n3ed to trade so no plot hole.

It’s been closed off from Tyria-humans as well. The only ones we know that have been coming in and out of Cantha are the Zephyrites. And currently they… well.. stuff happened to them. And Cantha is a very huge island with varied biomes and can easily be self sufficient.

Then there is also the deep sea dragon that has been said to haunt the sea between Tyria and Cantha as well, Zhaitan was only one of the problems I think?

FWIW, Elona was cut off by Palwa Joko and then, again, Zhaitan’s minions occupied the border between the two nations.

I believe Kralkatorrik’s minions are also in the way when it comes to Elona?

Considering there was a lot of Jade in Cantha it’s not at all hard to believe a lot was imported to Tyria before the Ministry of Purity and Zhaitan cut it off.

Alternatively although jade was mainly associated with Cantha in GW1 that could be simply because it was so easily available there (at least since the Jade Wind), and because in real life it’s commonly associated with China and other Eastern cultures and that’s what Cantha was based on. There’s no reason it couldn’t be found in Tyria (and Elona) too.

True. However, it’s not been seen anywhere else in the parts of Tyria we can explore. If it was available in Tyria, wouldn’t it logically have been used before as well?
It would seem that Jade in Tyria is news I think.

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

But it’s been 250 years since Shiro’s influence was eradicated from Cantha. I thought it was mentioned somewhere that the Jade sea would return to normal after a while, and 250 years is a long while.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Mikuchan.7261

But it’s been 250 years since Shiro’s influence was eradicated from Cantha. I thought it was mentioned somewhere that the Jade sea would return to normal after a while, and 250 years is a long while.

If it has or if it hasn’t, there’s still a block of Jade in the Durmand Priory’s secret archives that is intact, and from the jade sea. So even if the sea is returned to normal, blocks of jade that has been broken loose evidently hasn’t.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

You’re thinking of the Jade Sea fossils that were in the Durmand Priory’s vaults.

No. I remember seeing something in LA. It’s a little difficult to confuse LA with Durmond Priory. I’ve been playing GW1 so I’m more likely to confuse that than Durmond Priory which I haven’t been in for months. The only thing that I can think of that I may have gotten the impression, if there wasn’t a jade block in LA, would be when vanquishing one of the maps in Istan.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

True. However, it’s not been seen anywhere else in the parts of Tyria we can explore. If it was available in Tyria, wouldn’t it logically have been used before as well?
It would seem that Jade in Tyria is news I think.

I’ve noticed that the Tengu are back on the outside of their wall, and nobody seems to be upset by this. Given their actions during Scarlet’s attack, you’d think someone would be.

Maybe they supplied the jade for the monument as a way of apology for any harm they caused due to not being able to tell friend from foe during the attacks?

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Riot Inducer.8964

Riot Inducer.8964

I’m not sure why we’re discounting the Zephyrites from being a source of jade. Yes at this point in the story they’re basically a non-faction but don’t forget Lion’s Arch had a trade agreement with them for months before the events of season 2. Who’s to say Canthan jade wasn’t among the things traded?

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I do agree. But would it be possible? You can’t bring Dessa out, so can you bring material out? You do get loot though..

I know people complain about loot in fractals often but it’s not that bad. :P

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Maybe they just dumped huge blocks of marble into the Mystic Forge. . .

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Mikuchan.7261

I’m not sure why we’re discounting the Zephyrites from being a source of jade. Yes at this point in the story they’re basically a non-faction but don’t forget Lion’s Arch had a trade agreement with them for months before the events of season 2. Who’s to say Canthan jade wasn’t among the things traded?

True. However, we didn’t see any jade trade, which we kinda should have due to the size of the blocks. It would be near impossible to hide them. It’s an enormous amount of jade that’s been used at the memorial.

But even if they did come with jade, and we didn’t see it… Would you really buy a bunch of jade and stock it up and not use it for anything?

The second last time the Zephyrites came, Lion’s Arch was still standing, so jade could not have been ordered with the intent of building the memorial. And whatever was ordered during their last visit, obviously never got delivered. So any jade ordered by them should have been for other purposes, which it hasn’t.

And even so, that was a year and a month ago, only a month after Lion’s Arch had fallen. It’d be pretty much impossible to have plans for the rebuilding ready by then. Let alone the funds.

So I dunno, but Zephyrites seem unlikely in my book.

Maybe they just dumped huge blocks of marble into the Mystic Forge. . .

Nice try, but if they did, they’d get granite back.. if they were lucky.