Jade maw and pets, the solution?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Luimes.4281

Luimes.4281

So I play a ranger and we all know at the jade maw rangers/necros/mesmers are hated for their excessive pets and clones that take up the targeting needed to kill the Jade Maw.

Now I was thinking what could be a solution?

I thought that if a pet/clone/whatever gets targeted the player that owns that pet should pick up a crystal inorder to reflect it.

what is meme

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

The solution is to politely ask Jade Maw to stop targeting them and only target players. And the complainers that are too bad to do that easy boss and need the crutch of him targeting pets because they cannot dodge the most telegraphed attack in the whole game can go back to GW2 school to become better players

Posted by: LinkR.6190

LinkR.6190

Actually, sometimes that attack can be rather frustrating to dodge. I have a recurring issue where the laser affect, along with the sound associated with it won’t even trigger. Don’t even tell me that you can just roll as the target goes away or just before, because it only sometimes works. Lag happens, and when it does, it makes timing incredibly inconsistent without any visual/audio cues.

The pet targeting issue is just silly. To be quite frank, it shouldn’t even be a problem the Ranger should have to deal with. It is a bug/flawed mechanic and it should be dealt with.

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

I actually sometimes like the fact that my clones get targetted too. It can happen that there aren’t so many crystals around, or that the situation for some reason is a bit chaotic. Clones dieing instead of players getting downed can give you a bit of a free room to breathe. Of course, it may take a little bit longer to kill Maw. So what? Fractals speed-farming now? Anything longer than 20 minutes for 4 fractals is bad? xD I doubt that clones or pets getting targetted delays victory for more than 2-3 minutes… if at all.

As for the dodging part; yeah I’ve also been struck down a couple of times before without seeing the beam. Quite annoying if it happens, but well… sh…kittiecat… happens. ^^

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

The solution is to politely ask Jade Maw to stop targeting them and only target players. And the complainers that are too bad to do that easy boss and need the crutch of him targeting pets because they cannot dodge the most telegraphed attack in the whole game can go back to GW2 school to become better players

Ya this bugs me to no end and why i come to these forums. The ppl on it tend to push the game in bad ways. At best they can only complain what going on and happening to them at the moment but have no idea what over all effect they are asking for. Its all about dmg contort and these forums need them badly.

Any way this is the fix that pets needed for Jade maw but these forum blocked it so ask these forums why would they do such a thing.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Seveleniumus.5973

Seveleniumus.5973

Well, mesmers/necros could change their traits/weapons so they won’t summon any clones/minions for the maw fight (though I agree, that you shouldn’t have to deal with that). It’s ok when you have one of these in your party, but if you have something like 2xranger + mesmer it can really drag out the fight as maw sometimes specifically targets pets and pets only for whatever reason.

Posted by: Khyber.2693

Khyber.2693

Well Necros can simply get rid of their minions… As for just pets in general? I like the Op’s idea, pets could also be made untargetable.

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

OR……have maw only target players……..not that complicated.

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

OR……have maw only target players……..not that complicated.

I was under the impression that they actually made this change in a previous patch. I have been bringing a different profession into Fractals for the past while, so I guess I didn’t notice. Maybe I’m thinking of the Agony reduction thing..? But I was so sure the Jade Maw beam was patched out for pets, as well…

stof.9341

No, they were about to make Maw target only players same as that Arah boss. But them some people said they liked the “feature” because it saved their lives once and then ANet decided to let it in …

Posted by: jwaz.1908

jwaz.1908

It is a bug/flawed mechanic and it should be dealt with.

Actually it’s not bugged/flawed. Robert Hrouda has mentioned on multiple occasions that he purposefully allowed Jade Maw to target pets/minions/clones, in case people wanted to use them strategically as a temporary relief for players.

Brom Svánigandr – Druid
Nemata Sapshield – Dragonhunter
Lillian Estre – Tempest

Fyrebrand.4859

Question: As a Ranger, if I swap pets before they get hit with the beam, does it “avoid” the hit, or does it simply kill my new pet?

Posted by: awe extender.1908

awe extender.1908

Question: As a Ranger, if I swap pets before they get hit with the beam, does it “avoid” the hit, or does it simply kill my new pet?

if you swap pet at the moment skull is removed, (just like you would dodge yourself) the “new” pet will not be hit.

Also, “search and rescue” is good to have here, since dead pets still rez.

Posted by: awe extender.1908

awe extender.1908

I have also seen engineer’s turrets get hit by the beam!!! Why attack dead objects anyway!?!?!?

Fyrebrand.4859

if you swap pet at the moment skull is removed, (just like you would dodge yourself) the “new” pet will not be hit.

Cool, thanks for the tip.

Also, “search and rescue” is good to have here, since dead pets still rez.

Wait, whaaaat!!??? Seriously?! Not the “downed” ability (“Lick Wounds” I think it’s called), but the actual Search and Rescue? Okay, maybe I should just shut up about Ranger skills, because every second I keep saying things I am exposing myself as a n00b… :-S

If I were Jade Maw, though, I would totally shoot my beams at pets, turrets, minions, etc. I know they won’t dodge, and it’s not like they can throw the crystal back at me. Safest thing for me to do. That guy has the best AI ever! :-P

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

pets get targeted… if you switch, the new pet is not killed. but you have to wait for the jade maw to find a new target. the really annoying thing is when dead pets get targeted.
I agree that sometimes having the pet be targeted is good, like when you’re out of crystals. but that rarely happens and most of the time I wish my clones would not be targeted – I shatter them asap on that fight.

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

Actually, sometimes that attack can be rather frustrating to dodge. I have a recurring issue where the laser affect, along with the sound associated with it won’t even trigger. Don’t even tell me that you can just roll as the target goes away or just before, because it only sometimes works. Lag happens, and when it does, it makes timing incredibly inconsistent without any visual/audio cues.

The pet targeting issue is just silly. To be quite frank, it shouldn’t even be a problem the Ranger should have to deal with. It is a bug/flawed mechanic and it should be dealt with.

I’ve been hit by the laser multiple times because the skull never appeared above my character. Truestory… fight is buggy as hell.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

Posted by: Luimes.4281

Luimes.4281

I hear what ya’ll saying and personally I don’t mind that it takes the 20 seconds longer or whatever. But there will always be people that will whine omg ranger with pet bla bla bla. It’s annoying and either they need to fix that Jade Maw doesn’t target the pets or make the player able to reflect for their pets.

what is meme

stof.9341

20 seconds longer is an understatement. I have been in a fight that took like 3 times longer than usual because of all the pets that were targeted. Granted, going into Jade Maw with 2 rangers, 1 mesmer and 1 minion master necro wasn’t one of my smartest ideas.

(edited by stof.9341)

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

I’d rather first have them fix the sound for it. Extremely annoying to die because the sound never came, which is the hint when to dodge the laser.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

I’d rather first have them fix the sound for it. Extremely annoying to die because the sound never came, which is the hint when to dodge the laser.

Actually, the skull is a better cue, dodge when it disappears and you’ll evade the hit. The beam and sound can bug out if someone throws a crystal right before the Maw attacks.

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Posted by: Hoyvin.3241

Hoyvin.3241

Or, the ranger/necro/mesmer picks up a crystal and it applies to the pet as well.