January 2013: Flame and Frost prelude [Merged Discussion]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

A big war between Jormag(Frost) and Primordius(Flame)!! :o

Why assume it’s a war?

We know very little about the Elder Dragons, perhaps Jormag and Primordius have just turned the lights down low, put some Barry White on and…

There’s not a huge amount of detail there, I’m looking forward to finding out what’s going on but mostly to the “ton of other improvements” they’ve alluded to.

(edited by Pifil.5193)

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Ascended amulets, okay, fair enough as I knew they were coming. But no discussion of adding existing Ascended gear to other parts of the game, I notice….don’t think we’ve forgotten that promise. If you just add them all to Fractals, expect a fresh new wave of backlash over it.

The Ascended amulets will be obtainable with Laurels, the new currency, you get 1 from daily and 10 from monthly achievements.

Still, looking forward to laurels and guesting, and changes to the daily achievements that will hopefully be productive. I’d like to see the monthly system changed to work similarly, so that players can choose which achievements to run every month to finish monthlies.

Already stated that they will eventually give us a choice of 6 dailies/monthlies that we will pick the 4 we want to do.

Colin, mind putting my fears to rest, please?

I don’t think we will kill any of the other Elder Dragons outside of an expansion.

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

“adjustments to side-kicking balancing” Anyone know what this means?

Also, I am very excited for these Quaggan backpacks. This may make me buy something from the gem store for the first time ever. Hopefully you can wear them everywhere, not just towns. Would be awesome to see them in wvw!

there are some skills and such that are actualy MUCH stronger when being sidekicked up

Posted by: Vasham.2408

Vasham.2408

Why assume it’s a war?

We know very little about the Elder Dragons, perhaps Jormag and Primordius have just turned the lights down low, put some Barry White on and…

Thanks for that mental image. Going to go pour bleach on my brain until it goes away.

Posted by: WarMacheen.7124

WarMacheen.7124

Awesome, even more stuff in the Gem store. Too bad they can’t fix the drop rate or DR, or even muster the courage to give us a serious answer.

I guess new content should get people to forget major problems for a while.

Posted by: Leara.1204

Leara.1204

I don’t know if this question was already done before, too many posts to read and i don’t have all that patience XD
anyway my question is:
Who already completed this month monthly achievemente won’t get the laurels in respect of who will complete it after the 28th update? or the laurels system will start counting monthly achievement from february?or else who did that will receive the laurels anyway?

Posted by: BroScientist.9875

BroScientist.9875

I don’t know if this question was already done before, too many posts to read and i don’t have all that patience XD
anyway my question is:
Who already completed this month monthly achievemente won’t get the laurels in respect of who will complete it after the 28th update? or the laurels system will start counting monthly achievement from february?or else who did that will receive the laurels anyway?

They will start for February.

maddoctor.2738

anyway my question is:

You will not get any Laurels if you complete your monthly after 28th of January. It will affect February monthly and beyond.

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

Posted by: PhilipRed.9473

PhilipRed.9473

Just ascended amulets? what about the rest of the gear?

Posted by: Moderator.1462

Moderator.1462

Hi everyone!

We are glad to see you are excited about the Flame and Frost (and the quaggan backpack, Coooo!) As there are a lot of threads popping around about this topic, we are going to forward or merge them here to keep the forums organized.

In the interest of making it clear this is the thread, we are going to edit the title.
As always, we ask you to keep a friendly and constructive discussion and avoid any kind of trolling…or you will make the baby quaggan cry!

Thanks for your understanding

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

The Ascended amulets will be obtainable with Laurels, the new currency, you get 1 from daily and 10 from monthly achievements.

Which is not my concern at all, if you read my post again.

My concern is that the existing Ascended rings and back items will not be made available through that same system (or that the new amulets will be obtainable ONLY via laurels), when it was promised that they’d introduce multiple ways to obtain Ascended items. You may note that the release teaser says nothing about either of these details.

Already stated that they will eventually give us a choice of 6 dailies/monthlies that we will pick the 4 we want to do.

I actually saw the original statement you’re talking about, and it specifically mentions dailies, not monthlies.

In going back to that whole “let people play the way they want to play” concept:

We’re going to hold off on adding most of the daily achievements that send you to specific parts of the game until we’ve added the ability to select from a list (like 4/6.) The initial version you’ll see with rotating daily achievements won’t feature too many new achievement options, since we don’t want to do more specific type achievements without giving you the choice to pick from a list of stuff you’re more excited about.

Which is why I’m asking whether or not the method will be implemented in monthly achievements as well.

I don’t think we will kill any of the other Elder Dragons outside of an expansion.

Which, again, isn’t my concern. Please read the post you’re quoting before quoting it.

My concern is that they’re going to use this multi-month event as a promo for the expansion, and that it won’t end up being a self-contained story.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

My concern is that they’re going to use this multi-month event as a promo for the expansion, and that it won’t end up being a self-contained story.

Personally I would be OK with that.

maddoctor.2738

I doubt a Guild Wars 2 expansion will be a self-contained story but instead continue from after the defeat of Zhaitan, it makes sense to be that way.

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Next

Good question!

Ascended rings will also be available for laurels as well. Back slot items will be made more widely available in the future and will likely tie into a different reward system.

(Please note, the ascended gear purchased for laurels will not have agony resistance built in, since that mechanic is currently unique to progression in the fractal dungeons. They are however statistically the same as any other ascended gear.)

We will also introduce an additional reward system (or systems) in the future to make these items more accessible to WvW players on top of the laurel system.

The remaining ascended item types will be introduced in future releases, and may or may not tie into the laurel system, TBD.

(Edited to add note about agony)

Posted by: Eddie.6701

Eddie.6701

I’m sure I read somewhere that the achievement points we already have from previous dailies and monthlies will be taken into account with this update, so some of us will already have some currency to spend?

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

Good let’s hope they both take each other out so we won’t have to deal with them.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Good question!

Ascended rings will also be available for laurels as well. Back slot items will be made more widely available in the future and will likely tie into a different reward system.

(Please note, the ascended gear purchased for laurels will not have agony resistance built in, since that mechanic is currently unique to progression in the fractal dungeons. They are however statistically the same as any other ascended gear.)

We will also introduce an additional reward system (or systems) in the future to make these items more accessible to WvW players on top of the laurel system.

The remaining ascended item types will be introduced in future releases, and may or may not tie into the laurel system, TBD.

Thanks for the post and clarification! The ascended items obtainable via laurel, will they at least have the infusion slot? Or just the stats?

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Previous

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Next

I’m sure I read somewhere that the achievement points we already have from previous dailies and monthlies will be taken into account with this update, so some of us will already have some currency to spend?

Laurels are only earned through daily and monthly achievements (starting with the feb monthly) and will not reward for previous daily/monthly achievements completed since folks didn’t know this system was coming.

We will however introduce an expanded/new reward system in the future that will reward for other types of achievements, this system will reward previous achievement points earned. (But may require bringing back into line some infinitely repeatable achievements that would bloat/break this system)

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

@ColinJohanson, so what about actual ascended armour, any rough estimate on when we’ll see be seeing it implemented?

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

Previous

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Next

Good question!

Thanks for the post and clarification! The ascended items obtainable via laurel, will they at least have the infusion slot? Or just the stats?

You will also be able to put infusions in the ascended gear from laurels, yes!

Posted by: Eddie.6701

Eddie.6701

ah, thank you for the clarification!

cesmode.4257

I wonder if there are any plans to add Weekly achievements.

Posted by: Errant Venture.9371

Errant Venture.9371

Will we be able to upgrade the amulets to have an inherent agony resistance in a similar manner to rings/backpieces?

The Battle Bakery [vPie]

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

Concerning the new daily achievements…

to quote Colin J. during the MMOFTW interview “We would not want to force people to do jumping puzzles,” when discussing that they are going to be careful what they add to the new daily achievements before the ability to chose 4 out of 6 for completion.

Please DO NOT add dungeons/fractals to the daily achievement until the ability to choose how you want to complete the daily/monthly is implemented. The game was advertised as open world with dungeons as an OPTIONAL activity for vanity gear. A lot of people don’t enjoy dungeons (just like people don’t like jumping puzzles) so please, don’t add these to the daily until we have a choice.

Previous

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Next

And that concern is this: I’m worried that this entire multi-month event is just setting the stage for the first expansion, and that we’ll have to buy the expansion to get the full story. GW1 managed to introduce entire post-campaign storylines of a fairly significant size and did it entirely for free, so I sure hope GW2 isn’t drumming up this multi-month event for additional drama when they announce the first expansion. That’d be awfully disappointing.

This is not a live storyline that requires you to purchase an expansion to discover the ending, no. This month is a small lead-in to kick off a storyline that will play out over the coming months.

(edited by ColinJohanson.2394)

cesmode.4257

Good question!

You will also be able to put infusions in the ascended gear from laurels, yes!

I award you sir, 10 internets today! Thanks for the clarifications and the continued activity in these threads! I now check the General Discussions forum for a chance of seeing a Colin post!

I think the laurels is a great start, I am definately excited to see other systems for other achievement points. I am also excited to see what other plans, besides laurels, arenanet has to put my level 80 characters back into zones like Iron Marches, or other low-mid level zones.

With that said, I don’t want GW2 to be saturated with so many currencies, however. SWTOR did that, and I hated it.

Keep up the good work!

cesmode.4257

And that concern is this: I’m worried that this entire multi-month event is just setting the stage for the first expansion, and that we’ll have to buy the expansion to get the full story. GW1 managed to introduce entire post-campaign storylines of a fairly significant size and did it entirely for free, so I sure hope GW2 isn’t drumming up this multi-month event for additional drama when they announce the first expansion. That’d be awfully disappointing.

This is not a live storyline that requires you to purchase an expansion to discover the ending, no. This month is a small pre-cursor / lead-in to kick off a storyline that will play out over the coming months.

And by pre-cursor, he doesn’t mean legendary pre-cursor, correct? I hope everyone, didnt jump off their seats at the word pre cursor haha.

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

“adjustments to side-kicking balancing” Anyone know what this means?

Also, I am very excited for these Quaggan backpacks. This may make me buy something from the gem store for the first time ever. Hopefully you can wear them everywhere, not just towns. Would be awesome to see them in wvw!

The character wearing the backpack looks like it’s wearing armour, not town clothes. So I suspect it will be like the armour skins you can buy, and just transmute it over onto whatever armour back slot you want. I also don’t think there is a back slot in the town clothes menu to put it in, so my guess is this will be an armour skin.

Another shame with doing it this way is that it’s unfair to people with alts. Dailies and Monthlies are account specific, if they design the grind and limitations so you can acquire one piece at a long pace, people with several alts will take much longer to keep all their alts up to par. Ascended gear seems to be hating on alts in every way possible with it’s conception and how they continue to implement it. Simply by existing, it raises the bar much higher for people with alts to keep their characters with best-in-slot gear (the grind to do it once doesn’t seem so bad, people who do upkeep on multiple toons are rapidly falling behind when stats are placed behind a grind barrier that didn’t take into account anything but a main). It completely devalues the extensive work we did to collect and transmute (possibly at real life expense) armour sets on multiple toons. With this latest update, we are given a limited resource (40 laurels a month) to share across multiple characters. For people with only one or two mains, this isn’t bad, but those of us with several mains are put in a very inconvenient decision. Originally the game was designed so that you would play through it again on an alt and experience different parts of the world, different story elements, different events, uncover different secret areas. The “new” end game is intense gear grind which is completely unfair to accounts with multiple mains.

My account represents multiple characters, not just one. Please design your game and rewards systems in a way that consider that account limitations on content favour mains over alts.

I’m know I’m being negative in this thread (there is some enthusiasm and excitement for the new content in my previous post) but I really think laurels are both shallow and flawed. I hope they consider in greater detail how these reward systems and their limitations interact with multiple play styles.

Posted by: Magiofdeath.2745

Magiofdeath.2745

Will the new ascended rings achieved via laurels work with the existing ring infusion mystic forge recipe?

Fort Aspenwood | Kurzick ftw!

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

This is not a live storyline that requires you to purchase an expansion to discover the ending, no. This month is a small pre-cursor / lead-in to kick off a storyline that will play out over the coming months.

Might not want to use the word precursor, people are gonna freak out! :P

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

cesmode.4257

Pre-cursor should be filtered via Kitten as cuss words are. haha.

Posted by: Svenn.5209

Svenn.5209

So what you are saying is that in order to progress high into Fractals where you need lots of Agony resist you’ll have to be wearing gear FROM Fractals to ensure that you have good enough resists. Which means that if I don’t like those stats I’ll have to carry around a set of regular gear and a set of gear specifically for doing Fractals?

I hope not, because that is terrible and one of the big concerns a lot of people had back when agony was first mentioned. It’s bad enough that the customization of gear+socket was removed from these items, but now we’ll have gear that is specifically suited for Fractals versus gear from other places on top of it.

Svenn Ethir – Seeds of War – Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

Thank you so much for responding to these concerns! I was really worried, but those posts have put my mind much more at ease, and I can really look forward to these releases wholeheartedly now.

And I’m also glad to hear that WvW players won’t be left out, either, though curious about the notion that it may involve another reward system entirely. Hopefully not less rewarding than Badges of Honor are right now, please? They drop so sparingly that I fear for anyone trying to obtain even rarer drops in WvW.

As far as AR goes, any possibility that we’ll be able to upgrade laurel-based gear to include Agony Resistance? That way we’re not stuck running Fractals just to get gear so we can run Fractals some more (creating a rather undesirable treadmill effect)?

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

maddoctor.2738

Another shame with doing it this way is that it’s unfair to people with alts.

You mean you wanted to do a daily once for all your characters so at the same time someone with one character gets his amulet, you would get it on all your alts as well?
This would be really unfair for those without lots of alts and a HUGE bonus to those with 10+ characters. The Daily/Monthly system already rewards multiple characters, you can finish them with any of your characters already, in any combination.

azurrei.5691

So what you are saying is that in order to progress high into Fractals where you need lots of Agony resist you’ll have to be wearing gear FROM Fractals to ensure that you have good enough resists. Which means that if I don’t like those stats I’ll have to carry around a set of regular gear and a set of gear specifically for doing Fractals?

I hope not, because that is terrible and one of the big concerns a lot of people had back when agony was first mentioned. It’s bad enough that the customization of gear+socket was removed from these items, but now we’ll have gear that is specifically suited for Fractals versus gear from other places on top of it.

he already replied that laurel purchased gear CAN be infused with agony resist

Posted by: Thorquist.8126

Thorquist.8126

What about new types of rings and backslots? I’m still waiting for Cleric’s variation.

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

Arenanet already stated that eventually in the coming months daily/monthly achievements will be changed to where you only need to complete like 4/6 ojectives of them. I believe they stated it is not happening in this next patch, but that it is coming.

I think this is starting next month for the dailies. But I haven’t seen this mentioned being applied to monthlies anywhere. As far as I know, PvE players will still always have to participate in WvW for their monthlies. If it HAS been stated somewhere that monthlies will be updated as well, please link it.

Posted by: Svenn.5209

Svenn.5209

Right, but if it only has the slot and can’t be upgraded to have the slot AND the built-in agony resist, that means we’ll be sitting with half the agony resist of Fractals gear.

If it can be upgraded via some Mystic Forge recipe like the regular rings and stuff that’s fine then.

Svenn Ethir – Seeds of War – Stormbluff Isle

eisberg.2379

Another shame with doing it this way is that it’s unfair to people with alts.

You mean you wanted to do a daily once for all your characters so at the same time someone with one character gets his amulet, you would get it on all your alts as well?
This would be really unfair for those without lots of alts and a HUGE bonus to those with 10+ characters. The Daily/Monthly system already rewards multiple characters, you can finish them with any of your characters already, in any combination.

I doubt that is what he is saying. What they need to do is have the achievement separated per character. Have 8 characters, can do the daily 8 times per day, 1 per character, and the laurels would be character bound, not account bound.

azurrei.5691

Arenanet already stated that eventually in the coming months daily/monthly achievements will be changed to where you only need to complete like 4/6 ojectives of them. I believe they stated it is not happening in this next patch, but that it is coming.

I think this is starting next month for the dailies. But I haven’t seen this mentioned being applied to monthlies anywhere. As far as I know, PvE players will still always have to participate in WvW for their monthlies. If it HAS been stated somewhere that monthlies will be updated as well, please link it.

Yeah, really wish the 4/6 was being implemented along with the new rewards system. The problem with WvW is that Anet considers it PvE…

Posted by: BroScientist.9875

BroScientist.9875

I’m just going to parrot what someone said already: make sure you guys don’t implement too many rewards systems over-complicating things. I could see that being messy and confusing for a lot of people.

That said, I am fine having fractal rewards and this new laurel system sounds great to get people back into the world. Although, I am confident what ever future reward systems you guys do come up with will be well-thought out and logical, I hope!

Previous

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Next

LOL nice catch! Fixed

Posted by: Zerbo.5381

Zerbo.5381

Thank you very much for filling us in. I do have a question regarding the reward system for ascended gear in WvW. Is it safe to assume that the current system with badges of honor will not be used for the ascended gear? I would hate to spend a bunch of these on new exotic gear that would be obsolete in 2 months…
Thanks

cesmode.4257

Thank you so much for responding to these concerns! I was really worried, but those posts have put my mind much more at ease, and I can really look forward to these releases wholeheartedly now.

And I’m also glad to hear that WvW players won’t be left out, either, though curious about the notion that it may involve another reward system entirely. Hopefully not less rewarding than Badges of Honor are right now, please? They drop so sparingly that I fear for anyone trying to obtain even rarer drops in WvW.

As far as AR goes, any possibility that we’ll be able to upgrade laurel-based gear to include Agony Resistance? That way we’re not stuck running Fractals just to get gear so we can run Fractals some more (creating a rather undesirable treadmill effect)?

I see your point, you want to be able to purchase infusions via laurels, yes? I think thats been stated in the recent information as well, either via blogs or interviews. I think we’re good there too. If not, its like..one or two lvl 10+ fractal runs to get enough for a +5 agony resist infusion. Fear not, it still isnt bad. I have so many relics saved up, I need to spend them on something. Taking up bank space.

maddoctor.2738

I doubt that is what he is saying. What they need to do is have the achievement separated per character. Have 8 characters, can do the daily 8 times per day, 1 per character, and the laurels would be character bound, not account bound.

So that’s exactly what I was saying… someone with 8 alts will get 8 amulets in the same time someone with 1 character will get his.

azurrei.5691

Right, but if it only has the slot and can’t be upgraded to have the slot AND the built-in agony resist, that means we’ll be sitting with half the agony resist of Fractals gear.

If it can be upgraded via some Mystic Forge recipe like the regular rings and stuff that’s fine then.

oh I see, didn’t realize that some of it had agony resist built in, as I don’t run fractals. well, I would hope they would do a MF recipe or increase the stat variety that drop in fractals for you all.

Posted by: Shadow Blade.1324

Shadow Blade.1324

are the amulets available outside the laurel tokens? if not doesn’t this just add more gating to get them, ie you must do X days of dailies before you will have one, increasing the gap between players who do dailies every day and those with other comment’s, but who might be able to play lots at the weekend, even if they play the exact same amount of hours the latter will never catch the former as this is linked directly to daily achievements.

additionally people will still have to farm fractals for BIS as this laurel ascended gear will never have the + agony resist inherent in higher lvl fractals drops (not including slotted infusions)… so how does this make ascended gear more available for players wanting to experience all of the content including that which requires agony resist?

also when can we expect legendary gear for every slot so those of us who don’t want to keep running on the treadmill can play the game where we don’t have to keep farming the new bis? also legendaries will still be upgraded to BIS when lvl 81 comes out right?

i wish the devs had a consistent vision and didn’t push out content they know is flawed

eisberg.2379

So that’s exactly what I was saying… someone with 8 alts will get 8 amulets in the same time someone with 1 character will get his.

So not sure why that wouldn’t be fair then? They had to do the effort 8 times for 8 different characters. Still a 1 to 1 effort.

cesmode.4257

Heres the general rule when it comes to AR: Fractal level – 5, and thats what you should have in terms of Agony. That is at least for the first 30 levels or so. The extra few stats you get from infusions will be specific to fractals only, Id imagine. the +5 agony and +(offensive infusion stat) will have no bearing on the rest of the game. Or so that is what I was lead to believe.

So even if you are decked with simple infusions, I tihnk youre fine as long as you keep up with it, and don’t go crazy in fractal levels. No need to jump into fractal level 40 when you are 20 and only have 15 , or even 20 AR.