January updates - Any sources?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Did Colin mean that January’s update will be smaller than normal, or simply that it’ll not be as massive as Feb/ March’s updates? There’s a difference here.

Because all the big updates we’ve been getting monthly should also be “relatively smaller” to whatever big is coming Feb/ March, according to his words, so this month’s “relatively smaller” patch could very well be as big as wintersday/ halloween/ etc.

Well the fact that January achievements aren’t full of ???s should tell you something about the size. Probably smaller than Wintersday and Halloween.

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

They don’t need a token system; they already have karma which is criminally under-utilised. The just need to add more things that can be bought with karma, such as exotic trinkets, more weapons & armour, town clothes, etc.

I absolutely agree with this, there is so much karma in this game and so little to use it on!
even after getting my legendary, It’s just all piled in drops and jugs, and accumulated in my inventory, and I have nothing to use it on now! This game really needs some new skins and items to for people to go for, and this would be a huge motivation to get them back into low level areas an dead zones if they handed out enough karma to make them worthwhile, and added more skins and items to get with it.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Posted by: Rahaji.8312

Rahaji.8312

So nothing about new skills and weapons? No ways of improving current skills further or anything? They are working on item progression… they should work on skill progression too.

Posted by: LightningLockey.5938

LightningLockey.5938

With this game, I’d just be glad if they held off the expansion for 3 months and concentrate on squishing all the kitten bugs! That would get me back into the game far quicker then new bugs… I mean content.

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

With this game, I’d just be glad if they held off the expansion for 3 months and concentrate on squishing all the kitten bugs! That would get me back into the game far quicker then new bugs… I mean content.

Did you even read the devs post. All t-his new “content” focusas on improving and makeing what we already have better

Posted by: Virindiira.1025

Virindiira.1025

I hope they bring out a nice housing system.
Some more fractal dungeons.
And hopefully soon some way to get the pre weapon for the legandarys. (with Karma or at the item shop for diamonds).

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Wait, does ‘expansion-like content’ mean there’ll be an increase in the level cap too?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

;-)

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

The prospect that they’ll extend the story and give us reasons to revisit old zones is very exciting. I can see that meaning new events in the old zones related to the new story, with new items to collect for those that bother.

I’d also like this to include ascended armors with new skins and accessories that don’t need dungeon runs to obtain, that way everyone would be able to obtain the best gear. Just make it a long grind so it really is between exotic and legendary.

Posted by: ToonPhil.4052

ToonPhil.4052

Good to hear monthly updates are coming!! Can we get an update on Direct x11 support please?!

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

What I personally would like to see if some improved LFG tools. Whether that is the ever-popular Dungeon Finder in most modern MMOs or even a fancier Party Search feature like in GW1, it obviously has to be better than what we have now.

Sure some people could join one of guilds with hundreds of people and hope for like-minded members to party up and do dungeons, but I shouldn’t feel forced to join one of those larger guilds just to run a dungeon. Even then, it’s still not a guarantee that I’d find a group (good, bad, ugly, whatever— a group) for the dungeon I want to run, especially for higher-end dungeons like Arah, harder paths like SE path 2 and CoF path 3, and less-popular paths like most Story Modes. For some folks, they’re just happy with their small band of friends, even if some friends can’t be on at the same time to run content.

Likewise, I shouldn’t have to rely using a 3rd party website, like GW2LFG, spamming Lion’s Arch, or a combination of many other crazy methods of communication just to find a group. That sort of stuff should be more simplified and easily accessible as an in-game feature.

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

(edited by Ari Kagura.9182)

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

So sadly i have a horrible feeling we will be very bored till late January, maybe even the very last week of January, and this “2 huge patches” was a lie.

Then play a different game in the mean time.

Not like you gotta play off your subscription.

Sadly there are no other mmos worth playing now or anytime soon.

Posted by: skittlebob.4850

skittlebob.4850

So sadly i have a horrible feeling we will be very bored till late January, maybe even the very last week of January, and this “2 huge patches” was a lie.

Why limit yourself to mmos? There are so great stories to be discovered single player

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

Why limit yourself to mmos? There are so great stories to be discovered single player

I personally can’t justify spending $40-$60 on the 12-20 hours that most sp games are these days, better things to buy.

Posted by: Kagosin.8521

Kagosin.8521

I personally can’t justify spending $40-$60 on the 12-20 hours that most sp games are these days, better things to buy.

I recommend looking into single player RPGs. You’ll get a lot of hours out of those. I generally balance GW2 with other games as well. Considering there’s no sub fee, it makes it easier to balance with games.

Posted by: han.9042

han.9042

If I had a choice to choose from either they fix the targeting system or bring out more contents, I would choose they fix the targeting system.

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

Good to hear monthly updates are coming!! Can we get an update on Direct x11 support please?!

yes we have statments that we gona get dx 10+ from start and we got none of that the game is dx9 but i think the engine it self is limited to dx 9 and u not gona find grafic updates anytime soon

Posted by: Graill.8596

Graill.8596

They have dungeons to work on, the reward system needs huge improvements, the legendary system is a joke, the mind your own business system needs to be implemented, a revamped TP needs to be pushed out, drops for high level craftables need a rework, gold needs to be account bound, select items for crafting high level items need to be account bound only. Classes need huge balancing fixes in regards to force multipliers, not just tweeks. Wv3 mechanics need a huge rework. Storymode in dungeons needs to go away as it does not benefit the Gamer. Personal stories need a huge reward revamp, especially the final end reward to a legendary journey…(cough, plug)

Lots of work left to do before they think of pushing out new content.

Art and scenery and sound, you folks rock, keep up the great work. Lore is also pretty sweet.

There is no worse feeling than that during an argument, you realize you are wrong.

Posted by: shiNn.2571

shiNn.2571

Hey guys,

Just to help provide some clarity on this, we’ll be releasing within the next couple of weeks a high level summary of our big plans for the first half of 2013 to help provide more transparency into our plans with the game going forward. This will include providing more details about our goals for the game, information about the stories and features that you’ll see in the Jan/Feb/March releases.

To set expectations accordingly, the January release will be a relatively small release that sets the table for the stories and features we plan to roll out with the Feb/March releases and beyond. Also, there will be no new race, profession, or new region with these larger Feb/March releases. One of our major goals with these releases is making our existing world as strong as possible, ensuring there are reasons to go to all the locations in the world we’ve already built, and strengthening the core game we’ve provided. In saying this will be an expansions worth of stuff in these releases, we’re talking about the number of new features that will be rolled out across PvE, WvW, and PvP in early 2013, which usually you’d only find in an expansion for a traditional MMORPG.

More details and specifics to come in the next couple of weeks, but I hope that helps provide some more insight into what to expect at a very high level.

AH so this is the update from beta to release?
I’m really exicted how the release version of GW2 will be. The beta has many lacks.

Mighty Shinn
Jealous Much [JM]

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

Is there a chance we will get increased view distance and camera issues resolved ?

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Story mission replay pretty please?

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

I’d like to see new craftable armor and weapon skins as well as new karma armor and weps.

I would also like the ability to purchase skins for future use functioning like the Hall of Monuments.

Guild halls and player housing would be amazing as well.

But really, what the game NEEDS right now are new PvP modes, updates to WvW to keep it fresh, reasons to go back to other areas, bug squashing and class balance.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Hey guys,

Just to help provide some clarity on this, we’ll be releasing within the next couple of weeks a high level summary of our big plans for the first half of 2013 to help provide more transparency into our plans with the game going forward. This will include providing more details about our goals for the game, information about the stories and features that you’ll see in the Jan/Feb/March releases.

To set expectations accordingly, the January release will be a relatively small release that sets the table for the stories and features we plan to roll out with the Feb/March releases and beyond. Also, there will be no new race, profession, or new region with these larger Feb/March releases. One of our major goals with these releases is making our existing world as strong as possible, ensuring there are reasons to go to all the locations in the world we’ve already built, and strengthening the core game we’ve provided. In saying this will be an expansions worth of stuff in these releases, we’re talking about the number of new features that will be rolled out across PvE, WvW, and PvP in early 2013, which usually you’d only find in an expansion for a traditional MMORPG.

More details and specifics to come in the next couple of weeks, but I hope that helps provide some more insight into what to expect at a very high level.

Sounds good ty. I like the part about strenthening the current world

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: skittlebob.4850

skittlebob.4850

Yea, the new releases are crazy pricey, and I usually wait for reviews or a few weeks for the prices to go down. But you don’t have to go for those, I mean there’s plenty of amazing games that are pretty cheap now to pick up and definitely worth the time investment. Or just take a break from GW2 and wait for the Jan update.

Posted by: Art.9367

Art.9367

Is there a chance we will get increased view distance and camera issues resolved ?

This times a million!!! I had a bug awhile back where I was able to zoom my camera out maybe three times the distance as you can now, and it was glorious! I was able to see everything going on around me in sPvP and allowed be to play better. It honestly made this game much more enjoyable and was reminiscent of past MMO’s camera controls (in a very good way).

Posted by: Rahaji.8312

Rahaji.8312

You should check out skyrim if you haven’t already. Well worth the price.

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

im borred i need the update to keep me going atm im just lvling alts whic is pointless also

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

You really, really need to have a look at some of the SP games out there. There are quite a few games that can last you more than 25 hours, even into the hundreds. Plus, these games have great gameplay and can really get you invested in the colorful world the designers created. Here’s my pick list:
Skyrim, X-Com Enemy Unknown, Borderlands 2, Far Cry 3

The best part about being a GW2 fan is not having a a sub fee holding you down, and the constant updates pulling you back in. Without a monthly fee you don’t feel obligated to stay with the game.
You don’t need to play GW2, you get to play GW2.

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

This hasn’t been true for YEARS. 12-20 hours is ridiculously low, try playing skyrim… you will be at 100+ hours in no time because it’s like meth and even more fun (and healthy) to be on.

Just choose the appropriate sandbox RPGs, fallout series and elder scrolls are a must.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: HiddenNick.7206

HiddenNick.7206

One one hand I’m a bit sad that there will be no new zones, on the other hand it’s probably for the better. I’m glad they’re trying to focus on improving the foundation of the game instead of adding new floors.

I’m with you on that!

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Any chance the community can get a preview/teaser on game fixes coming with the January update?
Seems like the huge Jan/Feb expansion they initially promised us got delayed to Feb/Mar in favour of fixing the core of the game for January. So what is being fixed/improved this time around?

Maybe set people’s expectations right – I’ve got a sneaking suspicion there won’t be anything worth of new content / game updates but more focus on bug fixes, etc. to ensure your platform can take the bigger updates in Feb/Mar. If so, it’d be nice to give people a heads up asap so that we don’t wait until end of January with high expecations of stuff like Guild improvements, new skills, etc. and only get fixes to what’s already there.

More specifically;
- adding missing armors/weapons/recipes?
- fixing broken events?
- anything new guild-related?
- anything new skills-wise?
- revamps? classes? dungeons? loot?
- guesting?

Quench our curiosity please, don’t let us die like kittens

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

This times a million!!! I had a bug awhile back where I was able to zoom my camera out maybe three times the distance as you can now, and it was glorious! I was able to see everything going on around me in sPvP and allowed be to play better. It honestly made this game much more enjoyable and was reminiscent of past MMO’s camera controls (in a very good way).

I also had a “bug” once where zoomed in and I could see my rifle in front of me like I was in a fps. Seriously, they should add this, it’s so cool!

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

Hey guys,

Thank you, it does help to know you are preparing a high level description of GW2’s course. We could list dozens, hundreds of eggs (stuff we think needs work) but without a well described basket (GW2 gestalt) we are left juggling those eggs.

Break a leg

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

Hey guys,

Anyone else notice that he didn’t say “No new skills/weapons.” ?

Hmm?

Maybe…?

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Thanks for the update, Colin.

Since people are posting lists of what they hope will be in the coming updates, here’s my wish-list:

1. Guesting
2. Guild Halls (and with the introduction of guild halls, guild services can now be accessed across different servers)
3. Guild bonuses applying to all members regardless of which server they’re on.
4. New recipes to upgrade existing Exotic items to Ascended quality
5. Preview items on the Trading Post
6. A buff to T3 Cultural armor to make it Exotic, as well as the option to purchase it via Karma.
7. Elimination/reduction of the Waypoint Travel Fee (this could be facilitated by purchasing a special token from the gem store)
8. Adjustment of rewards from Veteran/Champion enemies. Depending on their level/region, such enemies should always drop Rares/Exotics, particularly if there is no reward chest for completing a Dynamic Event associated with them.
9. An “Armor Wardrobe” similar to the Festival Hat Maker in GW1 where players can show an NPC an armor set they are wearing (it must be the complete set), and then subsequently can apply the skin to any armor set they are wearing. The NPC charges a Transmutation Stone(s) each time the player wants to apply a new appearance, so this won’t make the Stones obsolete.
10. The ability to replay Story missions, allowing friends/guildies to experience story arcs they didn’t see themselves because they made different choices.
11. Story mode dungeon arcs rewarding tokens for completion (but at a lower rate than Explorable modes)

The Precursor Scavenger Hunt goes without saying.

Posted by: Destai.9603

Destai.9603

Hey guys,

Hi Colin! When you say region, do you mean an area like Cantha/Elona or something like Deldrimor Front/ Maguuma Wastes? I feel like the Lost Shores is an unfinished addition and would love to see more. It’s a great area, but I’ve no real reason to go there. Your thoughts?

(edited by Destai.9603)

Posted by: Felicia.5862

Felicia.5862

All I’m after is the ability to get map completion instead of waiting for 1+ month for the possibility of a change in WvW. My server has been the same for 4 to 5 weeks at least. I’m kicking myself for not doing the map completion when we had 100% of it.

Precursor % to drop/forge would be nice, or the scavenger hunt would be awesome. More dynamic events, and replaying story quests would be amazing.

Lastly though and i’m sure it’s a biggie, having loot comparable to what dropped it or at least for dungeons. Arah as a prime example. Although I am seeing more exotics in Arah lately.

Keep it up Anet. I know you are all hard at work trying to make GW2 the best MMO out there.

Posted by: Lutharr.1035

Lutharr.1035

If you are expanding the story then please for the love of god, do not have traherne in it. Or if you do please let him be corruted and we finally get to slice his useless head off. I loved the story as a whole but the 1st time round traherne is bearable due to to wanting to know what happens next. But the leafhead is so wooden (pun not intended).

More stuff for karma is a must. Most things out there just aint that attractive and having it as resorce instead of tokens could be a good work around.

Go back to WoW. Most overused brainless arguement 2012-2013

Posted by: Grifter.3684

Grifter.3684

I could care less about an event, i just want them to focus on fixing things wrong with the classes , lost shores was so horrible and laggy i just gave up on it all together , and as for lost shores map , i can say i have spent maybe at most 5 minutes there , just long enough to see how worthless the map was. Here’s an idea , spend more time fixing skills that are broken and fixing bugs , GW2 needs something , i don’t know what it is but i have been bored every since i completed maps and all events and dungeons , only reason i am still playing is the friends i have in the guild , or i would have quit along time ago due to insane boredom..

Posted by: BlakThornArrow.2389

BlakThornArrow.2389

I think the game needs more weapons skills, +utility skills , also I think more fractals would be nice especcialy when they fixed the disconnection problems and levels and such.

maybe some new events in the world / personal story in racial area’s ect.

White Lions Claw , dungeon, Living Story ,
Personal Story, WvsW , Guild Missions, Living Story and so much more.
(We have Teamspeak and a forum ) join us!

Posted by: jassking.7934

jassking.7934

Fix necromancer i bought this game because of the firsts necromancer and pets

Posted by: Giioohn.4370

Giioohn.4370

Hello!

What I would like to see: Bug fixing.
Endless and endless of bug-fixen patches, please.
There are bugs listed on your own used /wiki that have been arround for months and are still not fixed. I don’t want new content, I want working “things”!
I know this has been said many many many times before. But I believe, just like many others do, that fixing things will give a much better game experience then making new content.

For instance: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_Engineer_bugs

Fix.

Greasy Little Ladles[GLL] – Far Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Wobbles.6408

Wobbles.6408

I recommend looking into single player RPGs. You’ll get a lot of hours out of those. I generally balance GW2 with other games as well. Considering there’s no sub fee, it makes it easier to balance with games.

I would Try Skyrim, Love that game and is my filler game for GW2

Posted by: Meowwilson.5106

Meowwilson.5106

I could care less about an event, i just want them to focus on fixing things wrong with the classes , lost shores was so horrible and laggy i just gave up on it all together , and as for lost shores map , i can say i have spent maybe at most 5 minutes there , just long enough to see how worthless the map was. Here’s an idea , spend more time fixing skills that are broken and fixing bugs , GW2 needs something , i don’t know what it is but i have been bored every since i completed maps and all events and dungeons , only reason i am still playing is the friends i have in the guild , or i would have quit along time ago due to insane boredom..

Lost shores map useless? You must not like doing jumping puzzles, killing karka (karka shells 10s each +that karka trinket that you can have 2 of and other drops) and getting your tier 6 crafting mats. The island is great for those things. but other than that.. events are for new content.. which is something else to do to make you less bored. perhaps you could care about them.
The blogs anet puts out that covers all the plans they have for gw2 is no small list either. they talk about bugs and how they are working on them ontop of everything else.