Johanson VS Smith: The Precursor Challenge!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

I had a thought. As you may know, there has been some criticisms on Precursor crafting. So to bolster the fan’s confidence in the awesome team at Arena Net, i propose they begin an internal competition: See who can create a Precursor the fastest!

Now, i know you’re going to say, “They’re too busy fixing the game and etc”, but this game IS their business, and i think after we see these superb gentleman at their finest, and showing the community how it is done, it will truly lay waste to the myth that precursors are blocked behind paywalls and every other complaint thats been posted here, and on the subreddit.

I propose the following rules for the challenge:
1. Each player gets a level 80 character/class of their choosing
2. Each player gets 50 of each material, excluding ascended and legendary crafting materials
3. Each player has a choice of 2, level 500 crafting skills
4. Each player is blocked from using the Trading Post to acquire materials
5. Each developer will keep an online blog/diary of their happenings that day, or the night after – consider this a way for us to track progress and join in on your achievements!
6. Optional Twitch streaming would be welcome
7. Of course, this would have to be done on a production server, so no ANet tags please! Its important that while you are in-game, you are anonymous to the community at large.
8. Boosters are definitely allowed. However, you must state in the blog/diary if they were used, what you used, and how many you used in a particular game playing session
9. Definitely encourage other developers to tag along with you guys, but again, no tags please.

C’mon guys! I’m callin you out for the health and wealth of a happy Guild Wars 2 community!

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

They are too busy fixing the game.

I dont think the Game Director and Game Economist should be spend long hours of game-testing long term goals.

The precursor journeys are meant to be long term goals and an alternative route to a precursor that better illustrates your progress towards it.

They were never meant to be saving you alot of time or gold in order to get one.

So i wonder what this kind of project is supposed to prove.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Cute post, OP. Made me laugh.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I don’t think the Game Director and Game Economist should be spend long hours of game-testing long term goals.

Actually, they should. The former ought to be familiar with all aspects of the game in design. Perhaps not so much in the greatest detail, but knowing the player-side experience is vital.
The latter needs to be in the trenches as well, to identify things a spreadsheet is going to miss, and to know the feel of economic impact. Simultaneously answering “is it stable?” and “is it fun?”

To be more tongue-in-cheek about it, I have to wonder if JS considers the “mundane” route fun. Grinding materials, events, and fractals for ‘long term goals’.
Or if he uses insider trading info to make money. :P

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Lorath.2504

Lorath.2504

Also, we might lose one of them permanently due to mental illness or suicide.

Wanze.8410

I don’t think the Game Director and Game Economist should be spend long hours of game-testing long term goals.

Actually, they should. The former ought to be familiar with all aspects of the game in design. Perhaps not so much in the greatest detail, but knowing the player-side experience is vital.
The latter needs to be in the trenches as well, to identify things a spreadsheet is going to miss, and to know the feel of economic impact. Simultaneously answering “is it stable?” and “is it fun?”

To be more tongue-in-cheek about it, I have to wonder if JS considers the “mundane” route fun. Grinding materials, events, and fractals for ‘long term goals’.
Or if he uses insider trading info to make money. :P

I agree that both need to know these things, i just disagree that sending them on a long term journey in game is the best way to get this information.
I am pretty sure both of them have a way bigger salary than the game testers (Which is probably outsourced in beta anyways), so it would make more economic sense to let the testers do the testing and report back to them rather than doing the testing themselves.
If game testing shouldnt be up to the expected standards, they would rather train the testers than having John and Colin do the testing and hire other employees with big salaries to take over their regular duties and responsibilities, while the game director is dancing with queen jenna and the game economist is chopping wood.

Rauderi.8706

Agreed the challenge is a bit silly, Wanze. I’m amused by it, though.

Having testers is fine, but it’s not good policy for a person in position of management to remove himself from the actual conditions he’s supposed to manage. So, not saying JS should be gunning world completion, but he should be both crafting and acquiring precursors, along with obtaining tester feedback.

I’unno, maybe he does! I don’t want to accuse and say he doesn’t. Maybe he’s personally happy with the process. Maybe he started something he can’t take back without a lot of flak, or his advisory/development role doesn’t permit changes he’d like to make. Maybe he doesn’t like it, but any immediate solution would make the markets less stable, so he can’t recommend it.
Lots of maybes, so I certainly cut him lots of slack, even if the requirements for crafting and such look like bad decisions on the player side. Still much respect.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Wanze.8410

Agreed the challenge is a bit silly, Wanze. I’m amused by it, though.

Having testers is fine, but it’s not good policy for a person in position of management to remove himself from the actual conditions he’s supposed to manage. So, not saying JS should be gunning world completion, but he should be both crafting and acquiring precursors, along with obtaining tester feedback.

I’unno, maybe he does! I don’t want to accuse and say he doesn’t. Maybe he’s personally happy with the process. Maybe he started something he can’t take back without a lot of flak, or his advisory/development role doesn’t permit changes he’d like to make. Maybe he doesn’t like it, but any immediate solution would make the markets less stable, so he can’t recommend it.
Lots of maybes, so I certainly cut him lots of slack, even if the requirements for crafting and such look like bad decisions on the player side. Still much respect.

He doesnt play on his John Smith account but a personal one on Augury Rock, he mentioned that a while back. He also said he has 2 tequatl weapons, so at least he put some personal effort in there, not sure how much he plays atm during his free time.

He also once mentioned that part of his job is to play other mmos to research different game economy models. Wether this is done in the office or at home, i dont know.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t know how many players that aren’t developers would want to keep an online blog/diary of their every move in-game. It would likely take much more time than actually playing.

Personally, I would not hold my breath.

Still, good luck.

Rauderi.8706

He also once mentioned that part of his job is to play other mmos to research different game economy models.

That poor man. o_O
I’ve done the MMO juggle before, and there just aren’t enough hours in the day.
And yet, I still miss FFXIV. Shame about that endgame community.

Many alts; handle it!

(edited by Rauderi.8706)

slamfunction.7462

No explanation needed, and you have to remember that an MMO is a business. What better hype and fantastic media exposure could there be to a public display of playing the game and demonstrating how a feature works?

In addition, no, this isn’t something that needs to be done 24/7. Play casual: 2hrs a night, 8 hours over the weekend. I’d love to see the two of them square off and see who could complete their build, without the TP!

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

In 5 years Colin will tell us how “exited” he was, to have such an “awsome” journey.
Meanwhile John counts his endlos Legendarys and just shakes his head.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I agree with Wanze: the OP has missed the entire point of the legendary crafting journey. Those who are in a rush are always going to spend more money (and also run into more bugs) than those who are willing to take their time. The expansion has been out for less than a month — I’m surprised anyone thinks it would be cheaper to rush the process, along with everyone else, especially when there are so many uses for all the component materials.

That said, I would like to see some DvD (developer vs developer) challenges that are just for fun.

• John Smith vs any dev: who can create Sunrise for the least amount of coin (time limit: one year).
  • Ree Soesbee vs Bobby Stein: the writer’s challenge, i.e. who can finish Troll’s Revenge JP the fastest.
  • Devon Carver vs Devon Carter: ANet dev tries to beat a fictional character through the “Raven” path of the Norn personal story.
  • Andrew Gray vs Gaile Gray: 50 shades of gray face off, i.e. given the same armor set and a theme, who can dye it to the best effect using only colors in the grey spectrum.
  • Chris Cleary vs Gaile Gray: the current Support Liaison vs the former. The challenge is to get through a currently buggy part of the personal or living story using only known workarounds. (OK, this one is a bit more salty than the other challenges — I wouldn’t suggest it except that both Gaile & Chris seem like clever and capable gamers and I think they would have fun.)
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Maria Murtor.7253

Maria Murtor.7253

I don’t know how many players that aren’t developers would want to keep an online blog/diary of their every move in-game. It would likely take much more time than actually playing.

Personally, I would not hold my breath.

Still, good luck.

I did … to log the frustration of farming rare items. And yes: I had nothing else to do these days.

Attachments:

Guild Wars 2 – Musicvideo: Claws and Steel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghA_efMiWkg

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I agree with Wanze: the OP has missed the entire point of the legendary crafting journey. Those who are in a rush are always going to spend more money (and also run into more bugs) than those who are willing to take their time. The expansion has been out for less than a month — I’m surprised anyone thinks it would be cheaper to rush the process, along with everyone else, especially when there are so many uses for all the component materials.

That said, I would like to see some DvD (developer vs developer) challenges that are just for fun.

• John Smith vs any dev: who can create Sunrise for the least amount of coin (time limit: one year).
  • Ree Soesbee vs Bobby Stein: the writer’s challenge, i.e. who can finish Troll’s Revenge JP the fastest.
  • Devon Carver vs Devon Carter: ANet dev tries to beat a fictional character through the “Raven” path of the Norn personal story.
  • Andrew Gray vs Gaile Gray: 50 shades of gray face off, i.e. given the same armor set and a theme, who can dye it to the best effect using only colors in the grey spectrum.
  • Chris Cleary vs Gaile Gray: the current Support Liaison vs the former. The challenge is to get through a currently buggy part of the personal or living story using only known workarounds. (OK, this one is a bit more salty than the other challenges — I wouldn’t suggest it except that both Gaile & Chris seem like clever and capable gamers and I think they would have fun.)

Didn’t Michael Henninger take over Gaile’s former position? I think Chris C. always filled his present post.

Posted by: John Smith.4610

John Smith.4610

Next

Every part of this thread is awesome.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

I really doubt they have enough time for this, but maybe they could achieve something similar by choosing Precursor Champions to compete on their behalf.

The Precursor Champions would represent their respective developers, operate within the game under mutually-agreed conditions, and execute instructions as personally directed by Colin and John. This would allow their individual strategies to be put to the test without unduly distracting them from their extremely important game management duties.

And if things don’t work out as they would like, they can blame it on their PCs.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Rauderi.8706

I really doubt they have enough time for this, but maybe they could achieve something similar by choosing Precursor Champions to compete on their behalf.

If it comes to that, doesn’t it say something about the system in place? :P

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: Raedwulf.3712

Raedwulf.3712

Awesome – some awe.

Awful – full of awe.

Neither word actually says whether the awe is good or bad.

I think the number of bugs introduced with every release is awful. I think that releasing content with simple basic oversights (bugs) in them is awful. I’m an IT professional in the Real World (i.e. not gaming). I’d be fired if I did that as regularly as Anet (and every other gaming company) do it.

I’d like to know why new crafting materials were introduced without appropriate slots in the collection bank. Some have since been patched, not all (why did it take a year for a slot to be introduced for Foxfire Clusters, for example? Are you hoping that people will spend Real Money on extra bank space?). I’d like to know why Legendary collections were released that have items that are simply unobtainable in the game (Scarlet’s Prototype Mechanism for The Predator, and for one other leggie, I believe, as an example). And very, very simple fixes have still not been applied. That’s just dandy.

Are you still reading, John Smith? Or do you only reply to people who tell you you have some awe?

Guild Leader, The White Company, Piken Square

Wanze.8410

No explanation needed, and you have to remember that an MMO is a business. What better hype and fantastic media exposure could there be to a public display of playing the game and demonstrating how a feature works?

In addition, no, this isn’t something that needs to be done 24/7. Play casual: 2hrs a night, 8 hours over the weekend. I’d love to see the two of them square off and see who could complete their build, without the TP!

There already is enough media exposure from other twitch streamers, that test those features and also provide guides and walkthroughs on youtube.

And why restrict their usage of the tp? What is that supposed to prove?
They always said that the tp is an integral and important part of the world they created and develop and they encourage everybody to use it. If some players dont want to use the tp, thats ok as well because its not really neccessary to play any content. Its just a big feature of the game that gives everybody the chance to offer to buy and sell items for ANY price they wish.

Posted by: John Smith.4610

Previous

John Smith.4610

Awesome – some awe.

Awful – full of awe.

I think the number of bugs introduced with every release is awful. I think that releasing content with simple basic oversights (bugs) in them is awful. I’m an IT professional in the Real World (i.e. not gaming). I’d be fired if I did that as regularly as Anet (and every other gaming company) do it.

I’d like to know why new crafting materials were introduced without appropriate slots in the collection bank. Some have since been patched, not all (why did it take a year for a slot to be introduced for Foxfire Clusters, for example? Are you hoping that people will spend Real Money on extra bank space?). I’d like to know why Legendary collections were released that have items that are simply unobtainable in the game (Scarlet’s Prototype Mechanism for The Predator, and for one other leggie, I believe, as an example). And very, very simple fixes have still not been applied. That’s just dandy.

Are you still reading, John Smith? Or do you only reply to people who tell you you have some awe?

Define Awesome

Raedwulf.3712

Well, you’re still reading, at least. Not a particularly good answer, but you’re still reading…

As it says, “daunting”, “inspiring awe”. It doesn’t say whether that’s good or bad. The informal is a secondary definition.

(edited by Raedwulf.3712)

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I agree with Wanze: the OP has missed the entire point of the legendary crafting journey.

Did someone say… JOURNEY?!?

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Naneek.3874

Naneek.3874

Awesome – some awe.

Awful – full of awe.

I don’t think it’s John Smith’s fault that there are bugs… just saying mate.

That being said I wish we could at least get an ETA for these unobtainable precursor collection items that have been unobtainable for almost 3 weeks now… As it stands at least half of the precursor’s in the game are uncraftable due to a single unobtainable collection item.

Just don’t choose Bolt, Frostfang, Predator, or Kudzu, to name a few, or you auto lose this “competition”.

Posted by: Skyline Crash.6254

Skyline Crash.6254

Awesome – some awe.

Awful – full of awe.

Define Awesome

shots fired

and jesus christ Raedwulf, bug fixes take time. stop being a cuck

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Awesome – some awe.

Awful – full of awe.

Define Awesome

Give me a John Smith Mini that follows me around and says, “I am the destroyer of the designers intention to make people happy”. That would be awesome!

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

LOL—fixing the game is easier than getting a precursor?

Posted by: Naneek.3874

Naneek.3874

Awesome – some awe.

Awful – full of awe.

Define Awesome

shots fired

and jesus christ Raedwulf, bug fixes take time. stop being a cuck

3 weeks for a few collection items? Good god I hope not. Oh wait…

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

He is awesome, he gave leather and silk value and took drastic measures to fix a broken economy! An MMO’s economic health is the second most important thing behind only PvP balance. If charged lodestones dropped like candy then would equipping Mjolnir or Infinite Light still have any value? Of course not, scarcity contributes to value, which is why those charged lodestone weapons command respect from other players. On the one hand we need exclusives that’ll never come back but on the other we need subtle differences between them (like the preorder hat but sideways or backwards to distinguish those of us with the 2012 hat from those who bought via gemstore, or different accents on a new witch or wizard hat, scythe with different color blade, handle, and effects, etc.) and new variations on them.

Raedwulf.3712

Shots missed. As did yours, Skyline. The examples I gave are simple, stupid bugs that should have been picked up in QC and never released in the first place. And should take no time whatsoever to fix. They’ve released how many patches in the last 3 weeks? And did you miss the bit where I said “I’m an IT professional”? I’m an analyst/programmer. I’d be ashamed of myself if stuff like this got out into a live environment. Anet, apparently, aren’t.

And no, I’m not personally blaming John Smith. But he was quick to respond to a sucking-up-to-Anet thread. Responses to more critical comments are… rare, shall I say? Anet’s communication with its players has never been very good when there’s negative stuff around.

(edited by Raedwulf.3712)

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

Define Awesome

If this was on Reddit you would have just gotten gold for this post. Thank you for making my day better.

Posted by: Skyline Crash.6254

Skyline Crash.6254

Shots missed. As did yours, Skyline. The examples I gave are simple, stupid bugs that should have been picked up in QC and never released in the first place. And should take no time whatsoever to fix. They’ve released how many patches in the last 3 weeks? And did you miss the bit where I said “I’m an IT professional”? I’m an analyst/programmer. I’d be ashamed of myself if stuff like this got out into a live environment. Anet, apparently, aren’t.

And no, I’m not personally blaming John Smith. But he was quick to respond to a sucking-up-to-Anet thread. Responses to more critical comments are… rare, shall I say? Anet’s communication with its players has never been very good when there’s negative stuff around.

I guarantee they are trying to roll out a plethora bug fixes in bigger, less frequent patches. So you have to wait, sorry princess.

Raedwulf.3712

Rofl. You guarantee it, do you? And what do you know? Princess. You didn’t answer my point. Princess. Probably because you can’t. Princess. These are simple stupid errors that in pretty much any other industry, except gaming, would have been picked up in QC (that’s Quality Control – the process of making sure your product works; not QA, which is the process of making sure your QC works. Just so’s you know. Princess.). And corrected at source. Before release. Princess.

Wanze.8410

LOL—fixing the game is easier than getting a precursor?

For me at least, this statement isnt true. I forged more pres than i fixed bugs.

For both of them I would wager that its the same, at least, if they dont get any help.

I dont think that Colin would have the neccessary skills and knowledge to be able to fix a bug within a day at the office, if he was presented with the challenge to fix a bug for an item for the new collections and he is only allowed to use his dev computer for it.
He probably wouldnt even be able, if he was allowed to visit (not command to his desk) other devs that are more familiar with that matter and ask them advice.
And I dont mean that in a negative way, its just a wild assumption anyways and I dont expect him to be able to do it.

John would probably only do the job he is supposed to and paid for for eight hours, take the salary he earned that day, buy gems, convert them into gold, buy a precursor and go home after congratulating Colin for a very decent 2nd place, while he only came in 2nd to last.

TL/DR: A precursor costs 100 bucks, fixing a bug considerably more.

slamfunction.7462

Awesome – some awe.

Awful – full of awe.

Define Awesome

Now, we just need to figure out which dev will carry the title, “Grey Bush”. Yes, this is a Grama’s Boy reference. If you haven’t seen it, you are doing yourself a dis-service.

Posted by: Sina.9208

Sina.9208

Rofl. You guarantee it, do you? And what do you know? Princess. You didn’t answer my point. Princess. Probably because you can’t. Princess. These are simple stupid errors that in pretty much any other industry, except gaming, would have been picked up in QC (that’s Quality Control – the process of making sure your product works; not QA, which is the process of making sure your QC works. Just so’s you know. Princess.). And corrected at source. Before release. Princess.

I’m not trying to defend Arena net here, but looking at the widespread light-bleeding situation with current affordable tier led display panels, or the coil whine of the current generation Maxwell GPU cards (especially 9 50s,60s & 70s) or I could name quite a few other things, things just aren’t that simple anymore, good QC is expensive, replacing a dud free of charge might be less expensive.

My problem is not that things are broken at release, it’s that they aren’t even always fixed, or sometimes the time for fixes is just incredibly long. The game isn’t very polished in that sense.

Wanze.8410

I can just imagine the kind of feedback people like you would give on the forums, if John and Colin would be streaming how they are playing guild wars 2 for 2 hours per day and 8 hours per weekend and then spend the rest of their work day blogging about it, while the things at the office go kittens up because nobody is doing their job.

Posted by: gricks.1897

gricks.1897

Oh no…we’re three weeks in and I don’t have my precursor! I have to buy the materials/farm the materials for so much money/time! It’s obviously broken!

/contributingnothingbutsarcasmandbeingtiredofthis

The Wrecking Krewe[NYE] – [Maguuma] Arum Bloodclaw

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I’m all for this as long as once both have got their legendaries, they then have to duel each other with them

On mounts

Wearing their Anet logo capes

slamfunction.7462

I can just imagine the kind of feedback people like you would give on the forums, if John and Colin would be streaming how they are playing guild wars 2 for 2 hours per day and 8 hours per weekend and then spend the rest of their work day blogging about it, while the things at the office go kittens up because nobody is doing their job.

They do have interns, game tester, and any combination of lesser peons to do the actual blogging. Like 15 min conversation at the water cooler in the morning:

Peon 1: Sir..uh, how was your night lastnight?
God-Like ANet Dev: Fantastic, m’boy! I got 15 silk, 3 Powerful Blood, and crafted 1 Deldrimor Steel ingot!
Peon 1: Ok, i’ll put that on the blog under your name.
God-Like ANet Dev: HA-HA! Thats a real go-getter! What was your name again?
Peon 1: Uh..uh…“Ghostcrawler”?
God-Like ANet Dev: Good, i like that. Where have i heard that before….

Posted by: BooHud.2681

BooHud.2681

Something’s missing from this thread. Ahh, there is it.

Random.

Attachments:

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

I’m the princess!

And I do what I want!

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Wanze.8410

They do have interns, game tester, and any combination of lesser peons to do the actual blogging. Like 15 min conversation at the water cooler in the morning:

I have never been there but i cant imagine the water cooler being a popular hang out at a game company on a november morning in the state of washington.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I’m the princess!

And I do what I want!

Oh yeah! I have a Princess Bubblegum plush and she contradicts what you want. She’s pink so she outranks you ^_^

Also…traditional king and queen outfits please. They’re quite robe-y or poofy respectively so maybe they’d have terrible clipping issues :(

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

To win I’d just buy a legendary with cash to gem to gold conversion. Actually, they should both have to do one that still has something with RNG in it. Have fun getting William Shattner to put you in a crystal!

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I have never been there but i cant imagine the water cooler being a popular hang out at a game company on a november morning in the state of washington.

Depends what’s in the water cooler….

Maybe that’s what that Quaggan at Teq is talking about when he yells out, “there something in the water!”

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

slamfunction.7462

Too literal, man. Could be an email, or quick meeting in the hallway, etc, etc… Why are we debating this gain? lol

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

Anet GW2 proprietary forum bug

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

Are you all sure those missing collection items are bugs…and not just items that have yet to be introduced? The possibilities, oh, the possibilities that lay in wait for those so anxious to rush through what was meant to be a legendary journey.

P.S. – to the programmers in in the group…whether it’s a game or other program…based on your statements nothing would ever get released in a relatively decent time frame(and I worked in several businesses that bought off the shelf programs that were full of bugs brand new…so it’s not just restricted to gaming companies). However, gaming companies(especially MMO developers) have it harder than other software developers, why…because there is no way on earth they can test the hundreds of thousands of ways that people play…and yes, everyone plays and tries different things, that’s why there’s always some bugs and exploits that aren’t the obvious ones you can find. You should know that.

Wanze.8410

I’m the princess!

And I do what I want!

And i am the Queen!

And I demand more rewards for doing what I want!