John Smith was right about leather...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sky.7610

Sky.7610

So yeah,

GW2 is a game that i haven’t touched in a loong time (roughly 2 years). I have always been a TP player (spending more time on TP than the actual game… probably. To players like me, GW2 is like a market simulation + added mini games). Unexpectedly, i was a extreme “hoarder” all this time without even realizing.

I came back about 1 month ago. I expected to be poor (relatively) considering 2 years have passed and gold are worth much less now. But to my surprise, before i left, i apparently invested extremely heavily in leather. I’m talking about max out leather on bank, inventory, alt inventory, high amounts on TP pickup…. nothing but T6 leather, just sitting there (if memory serves, i believe i bought them at 33copper-43copper). It wasn’t worth a lot back then and i didn’t know it would be so valuable now. It was something silly i did, to discourage me from coming back to GW2 (something probably upset me back then) because i would have to clear out all the “useless leather” to play again (what sucked was it took me 3 days to play again from the date i came back because cured leather wasn’t moving fast enough to clear out just enough inventory on a character to play but getting rich was fun). Who knew it would becomes so valuable? I didn’t. I just hit the jackpot. I got lucky.

Anyway, i just want to say John smith could be right about leather. There’s most likely tons of people like me with extreme amount of leather just sitting there. But what i’m concern about is if other players are like me… inactive players, effectively freezing the leather until they come back (if ever).

I have been feeding the market leather slowly over the past month and will continue doing so going forward. My goal now is to hit 50% of the gold cap (100k) something i thought i wouldn’t ever achieve (i’m getting there, will post when i achieve this goal maybe).

Just wanted to 1) share my get-rich tale to make me feel better about getting all these easy and dirty gold xD and 2) say John Smith could be right that there is a tons of leather hoarded but maybe they aren’t active players and don’t even realize their worth…

I’m sure this applies to things like mystic coins as well though.

ps: gold sellers please don’t hax me ( i have been hacked before ;( , well with the anet limitations, it’s hard to transfer gold anyway)

TLDR: John Smith could be right that leather are being hoarded in massive quantity but maybe it’s on accounts that are not even active like i was before. Also put all my eggs (which was stupid but i didn’t saw it as investment) in one basket 2 years ago and hit the jackpot.

Attachments:

(edited by Sky.7610)

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Thanks?

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Leather is only expensive right now (and consequently being hoarded more than it otherwise would have been) because John stepped in and messed with it in the first place. When HoT dropped he, simultaneously mind you,

• Massively decreased leather salvage rates to be nearly 0
  • Increased # of refined leather needed to refine
  • Added patches that were needed to create insignias. These patches did nothing but eat huge amounts of leather
  • Added absolutely massive leather sinks with the new legendary collections/journeys
  • Added massive leather sinks with GH upgrades

Considering all of that, its no surprise that people started hoarding leather in the first place. I mean, to make a single ascended medium chest piece, you need 1,600 thick leather sections. 1,600 T5 raw leather. And yet you only need 30 T6 raw leather pieces. That’s kittening illogical. 600 of those T5 raw leather pieces are required just for the patch alone that is needed to craft the ascended chest piece. The other 1,000 are required just to craft the longcoat panel.

So……. yea. Its no wonder people were hoarding leather. You currently need almost an entire bag dedicated to leather if you want to craft a single medium ascended set, on top of it being the rarest mat to come by. I’m not sure if this post was made to praise John Smith of being so “insightful” or something, but if it was, you should know the truth behind the high price of leather.

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

During a recent AMA, Anet did say a leather farm is on the cards. Whenever that happens, hopefully prices will drop to a more sane level (Sell while you can… hint hint)

http://dulfy.net/2016/11/21/gw2-a-crack-in-the-ice-developers-reddit-ama/

OriOri.8724

Some more numbers. An entire medium ascended set requires 36 elonian leather squares, at 200 T5 raw leather pieces each, that’s 7,200 T5 leather alone, for a single set.

However, to make even more apparent how strange this decision was, a heavy ascended set still requires 18 elonian leather squares to craft the damask patches, despite the fact that the armor itself is made entirely out of wood and ore. Why does the heavy set need so much leather? It doesn’t. Leather and cloth are the only 2 mats that are needed for all 3 tiers of armor crafting. Ore/wood is needed for only 1.

One of the biggest things JS could do to improve leather is to just remove patches from the game and slightly up the “cost” in mats of the recipes that used them. Also remove leather/cloth from heavy armor entirely. It has no business being used to craft heavy armor. Absolutely none.

Sky.7610

During a recent AMA, Anet did say a leather farm is on the cards. Whenever that happens, hopefully prices will drop to a more sane level (Sell while you can… hint hint)

http://dulfy.net/2016/11/21/gw2-a-crack-in-the-ice-developers-reddit-ama/

Haha i know, i have been unloading leather since day 1. Im actually a lot richer than i was in that pic (which was taken day 2 of my return, 1 month ago). But still selling!

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

It was something silly i did, to discourage me from coming back to GW2 (something probably upset me back then) because i would have to clear out all the “useless leather” to play again

Should have bought orichalcum then.

onevstheworld.2419

You wouldn’t happen to have a massive stash of Mystic coins too? Apparently there are tons of those being hoarded too, and we could do with more supply on the TP :p

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Funny, I salvaged 13.7K leather from 6.2K pieces of medium armor last week. Made around 260 gold doing so. But keep believing that, it keeps me in gold.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Concrats to you! Would be interesting to see, how long it takes for you to sell it.

However, I am pretty sure that Anet takes into account wether an account is active or not while calculating the overall supply in the economy. I think either John SMith or Izzy mentioned it in the AMA 2 months ago.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

Snip.

I know we don’t see eye to eye, but I was curious to your take on the semi-recent laissez faire stance on the economy?

I won’t reply, rebut, or anything. I’m just interested.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

YOU PIECE OF kitten!

It’s … it’s all your fault.

I’m kidding. You’re strong for buying that much but you know, whatever, there’s really no point to “slow feeding” since you don’t actually have the market share.

Wanze.8410

Snip.

I know we don’t see eye to eye, but I was curious to your take on the semi-recent laissez faire stance on the economy?

Maybe you want to be a bit more specific what you mean because I am not sure wether we both agree on which parts of the economy/markets are seeing a laissez faire stance.

On the common topics atm, I would say i prefer mystic coins at 1g value maybe even higher. Its a great way to reward loyal player who log in on a daily basis and their requirements for luxury items are quite balanced. I wouldnt be surprised, if Anet wont make any significant chances in the future but they might add smaller faucets, like they have recently done with the drops from fractals. These small faucets will provide a little more flexibility to players in their ways of earning them directly, besides daily log ins, but wont make too much of an impact on the price, which i expect to gradually rise higher. And thats fine, in my opinion, for the most part. But What they should adress are the older recipes that call for mystic coins, which were designed and balanced when there was an overabundance of coins, with the wintersday runes and sigils being the prime example. I am quite disappointed that Anet basically took out the last real seasonal faucet by removing them from the loot table of the personalized wintersday gift this year. The upgrade recipe, which requires 20 mc for the exotic sigil, is real bad design and should have been adjusted before wintersday. From a general perspective, I can live with the average price of 5-6g during this wintersday for the sigil, if it was only used for Winters Presence, as drinks became much cheaper and offset the price rise of the sigils on the shopping list. But one sigil is also needed to complete the orphan questline to get the star of gratitude. And that is really bad design, especially, if the sigils should rise to forging value (of 20g) at some point before next wintersday. That Orphan questline was designed to take a couple of days or a week to complete, so why ask for an item on the fourth day, that requires you to farm 20 mystic coins to forge it?

I am pretty sure this was an oversight and they just decided not to hotfix it because they estimated that there is enough oversuply of runes and sigils left from previous years to cover demand. The next howler might come tomorrow, or a little later, once people realize that you also need 4 sigils of mischief (exotic) to craft the chaos gun.

If we would have run out of sigils during wintersday, we still would have the chance to forge more from scratch but once the Festival vendor goes on a 11 month sabbatical tomorrow, we wont be able to buy new minor sigils anymore.

I doubt that the precursor crafting of the chaos gun will actually create enough demand for the sigils that we might run out of them or it reaches a higher price of its forging value but it still is bad design.

Precursor crafting represents some prime content from HoT and should be available year round without restrictions. Making an item an requirement for one of the crafting processes, that only drops during 6 weeks of the year is fluffy kitten.

And yeah, finally, t6 leather needs adjustment, badly. More than silk ever needed tinkering with. The problem is, there is no easy fix and to find a proper balance, you need to adress cloth a well as their supply and demand is so dependant on each other.

But what I take out of this topic is that evil flippers who hold on to their huge supply of t6 leather in order to raise the value arent really the problem, like so many always claim.

The supply OP bought 2 years ago for copper value, would probably have been sold to a vendor and therefore destroyed, if he (and others like him) wouldnt have put in buy orders or buy up large amounts of the supply. So if he wouldnt have done it, all that leather would have been gone way before people needed it.

And now here he is, back to game, with an account full of leather to add supply, basically doing what the player base wants anet to do: Open the faucet. It also contradicts the myth that players like him are waiting out on higher prices, as he mentioned that he is basically trying to sell as fast as possible (without filling to much buy orders at once, I assume). And I would also presume, that it wouldnt have mattered, at which point in the last 12 months he would have come back, he would have been as happy a camper as he is now, regardless, wether the price of t6 squares was 10s, 30s or 50s. We would have done the same as he is doing right now, trying to sell most of his leather at the current rate.

Essence Snow.3194

Thanks. That’s basically what I was wondering about. Just wanted to to see someone else’s thoughts on things.

OriOri.8724

Funny, I salvaged 13.7K leather from 6.2K pieces of medium armor last week. Made around 260 gold doing so. But keep believing that, it keeps me in gold.

The rates were increased in the April patch iirc. Before that they were just awful

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The rates were increased in the April patch iirc. Before that they were just awful

I’ve been doing this for well over a year now, haven’t really noticed a shift.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: abaddon.3290

abaddon.3290

if you um want to send me some of that leather. ill love you forever XD ill put it to good use! congrats on all that leather man. im jelly. congrats on all that leather though. your a rich person now.

im bad at sarcasm

onevstheworld.2419

your a rich person now.

Look at the gold he had in the screenshot, I think he was rich even beforehand

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Sell your leather sooner rather than later. I have.

Wanze.8410

Thanks. That’s basically what I was wondering about. Just wanted to to see someone else’s thoughts on things.

Regarding Mystic Coins, you might find some interesting info being published soon on reddit. Just a hunch.

Essence Snow.3194

Regarding Mystic Coins, you might find some interesting info being published soon on reddit. Just a hunch.

On the reg or on the economy reddit?

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I bought tons of silver ore. It’s so cheap it doesn’t even matter if it never increases in price lols.

Sky.7610

Snip.

The supply OP bought 2 years ago for copper value, would probably have been sold to a vendor and therefore destroyed, if he (and others like him) wouldnt have put in buy orders or buy up large amounts of the supply. So if he wouldnt have done it, all that leather would have been gone way before people needed it.

And now here he is, back to game, with an account full of leather to add supply, basically doing what the player base wants anet to do: Open the faucet. It also contradicts the myth that players like him are waiting out on higher prices, as he mentioned that he is basically trying to sell as fast as possible (without filling to much buy orders at once, I assume). And I would also presume, that it wouldnt have mattered, at which point in the last 12 months he would have come back, he would have been as happy a camper as he is now, regardless, wether the price of t6 squares was 10s, 30s or 50s. We would have done the same as he is doing right now, trying to sell most of his leather at the current rate.

True, i would have sold. Surprisingly, its still going up despite confirmation that it woild be easier to get in the future. Perhaps there is a real lack of supply or maybe there is tons but people rather keep for persobal use over profit.

Posted by: ionix.9054

ionix.9054

I’ll take some stacks off your hands…

Sky.7610

I’ll take some stacks off your hands…

Sure, no problem, your hands can have as many as you want. Just talk to any Black lion trading representative and ask for cured leather. No worries, they are all mine