Jormag drop rate [Merged thread]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LemurTron.9261

LemurTron.9261

is now even less desirable to do than prior to the last patch. Surely this was not the intent??

Posted by: Avan.1540

Avan.1540

By ‘last patch’, what do you mean? Did they nerf it even more, or was the ‘last patch’ the Dec-14 one where they stealth-nerfed it by killing off the mini-eles dropping anything which was about the only reason to show up. Since then its been ‘tag the dragon, run off to farm or play the TP and hope that you might actually get some supplemental cash from rares or get super-lucky and get a Dusk’

20+ Charracters – Charr only player – NA Kaineng
Give Charr armor some more love!
Let us show our spots, stripes, or lack-there-of in style.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Yep,they basically stopped dropping anything usefull,id like to come there but now its not really worth it.honestly it was a great way to earn a bit of extra while having some fun,but if the mobs i kill do not drop anything,then why should i bother actually ? Jormag event will be pretty dead now when more people will realize this.Especially peple at night wont even bother anymore since its takes too long with such few people and the chest with a few blues and greens is honestly not worth it.

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

I’d prefer he not come as often and provide better drops than keep him on the 3hr rotation and be pointless.

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

I’d prefer he not come as often and provide better drops than keep him on the 3hr rotation and be pointless.

3 hours rotation is perfectly fine as it gives everyone chance to do Jormag event at least once a day if they are restricted with their playtime.
Thing is, Frost chest reward is equal to effort any individual has to put into event which is low at best. Even those leechers that never hit dragon and only kill mob spawns for loot get chest.
This leads me to beleve that whole event require revamp. More group coordination and effort is needed so that rewards can be better. Event as it is now is simple running up and down and pew pew for 15 min. Dragon drops and there you have a chest with crapy loot, reward fit for effort.
Good thing is you get a chance at precursor lottery at least.

Avan.1540

Actually you have to tag the dragon to get the chest.

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

I must be an idiot. I stick around all three dragon fights until the beast drops. Rather rude to just run in and tag him, then split and leave your fellow adventurers to do the work.

That said, I think the Claw’s a bit of a coward. He pushes you away with those ice spikes as well as his fear blast. At least the Shatterer’s not afraid to have you get all up in his face.

…what were we discussing again?

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

I stand corrected. “Those leechers that tag dragon and only kill mobs for loot…”

Avan.1540

It was really the only valid way to approach the event because the event gives you a chest of blue and green garbage. Its a problem with its core implementation & horrible rewards that encouraged people to not finish it, not the farmers :P (and the nerf made this problem far worse, not better. Take away the farmability, and the farmers go elsewhere. Have fun fighting off all those non-loot-dropping eles yourself while the farmers make money elsewhere on the map)

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

I stand corrected. “Those leechers that tag dragon and only kill mobs for loot…”

Can’t really blame them for killing what actually drops decent loot. I will take the T6 mats the ice eles drop over the crap blues that I get every time from the chest

Posted by: Krimpton.4879

Krimpton.4879

Here is an idea..
They probably did what they did to it because at least 80% of the people that went there did NOTHING else apart from stand on the hill farming the adds.
That’s not team work or helping with anything thats selfish and just smacks of the Me.. Me.. Me attitude..
just my opinion. Im off now to fight a dragon :p

LemurTron.9261

I had thought Jormag was going to give ‘better rewards’. Thus the intent would be to make the event more desirable for people, and entice people to come and come more often.

Instead, this was my experience yesterday:
1) the NPCs help less, thus the fight takes longer
2) the number of mobs that drop loot was lessened, thus.. less loot from mobs
3) perhaps the most annoying thing — the corrupted Ice Wall shield no longer appears when “tab-targeting”. Why on earth would this have been changed?
4) The chest loot was the worst i’ve ever received. Ever. All blues, no greens or yellows. Small sample size? Absolutely. But still a kick to the face as this was perhaps my 20’th or 25’th jormag kill, with about the same MF, whether in a group or not. First time ever never getting even a green.

The result?
a) the fight takes longer than it used to
b) the total loot rewards for the event are less than they were before
c) the Ice wall was made annoying for no discernible reason whatsoever

All i can conclude is that since Jormag now takes longer to do and gives less rewards, that the intent was actually to drive people away from it. And just to insure this would happen, the event added additional annoyances..

If the above conclusions are false, the burden of proof is to demonstrate otherwise xD. I would truly like to know how the recent changes to Jormag are intended to encourage people to do the event more often, if ever again.

(edited by LemurTron.9261)

Avan.1540

Re #2: The number of mobs is the same, the number of mobs that drop loot is less; the mini ice eles no longer drop loot.

Re #3: That is apparently a bug.

LemurTron.9261

Re #2: The number of mobs is the same, the number of mobs that drop loot is less; the mini ice eles no longer drop loot.

Re #3: That is apparently a bug.

noted, ty

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

Here is an idea..
They probably did what they did to it because at least 80% of the people that went there did NOTHING else apart from stand on the hill farming the adds.
That’s not team work or helping with anything thats selfish and just smacks of the Me.. Me.. Me attitude..

You’d be very dead without those people killing the mobs at your back. Your loathing of the “farmers” (basically, everyone who is not doing the same thing as you during a dragon fight) is disconcerting, and says more about you than it does about them.

See what I said about making the problem worse.

Have fun with your chest of garbage while I make money (off of you) on the TP.

BTW – you’d be surprised at the teamwork & support the farmers gave each other, at least on my server.

This is what I’m seriously considering. Which is nuts, because I prefer killing dragons and their adds. I like it, it relaxes me. Playing the TP relaxes other people. The TP group always had the upper hand as, in my opinion, they should. But at this point the disparity between killing stuff and playing the TP is simply bunkers.

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

Yesterday a [Dusk] was in that reward chest to a guild friend of mine.
The day before, [The Legend] was in the reward chest of some guy/girl.

So… don’t understand why do you say they are useless…

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Avan.1540

That is extremely rare; in all 50+ events I’ve attended, I’ve only ever seen someone once get an exotic which was ALSO a precursor [Dusk]. Generally we instead saw people celebrating exceptional lodestone drops or getting a rare from the chest. Thats just how pathetic the chests were.

LHound.8964

That is extremely rare; in all 50+ events I’ve attended, I’ve only ever seen someone once get an exotic which was ALSO a precursor [Dusk]. Generally we instead saw people celebrating exceptional lodestone drops or getting a rare from the chest. Thats just how pathetic the chests were.

So a chest of a dragon that spawns a lot of times a day with loot for everyone, that can also drops precursors…

…what do you expected? 5 free exotics per day? I simply can’t see the logic!

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Avan.1540

I’m saying that the chance of them dropping a precursor is so slim that your time is better off spent playing the TP, and that what you saw was a very rare occurrence.

LemurTron.9261

yeah man ive never know anyone personally who got a precursor from jormag. It (the chance) is so slim that you should at least have decent rare/exotic drops to entice you to come spend (now even more) time

LHound.8964

I’m saying that the chance of them dropping a precursor is so slim that your time is better off spent playing the TP, and that what you saw was a very rare occurrence.

I agree that the drop chance is very low. But i don’t kill the dragon with the hope that it drops. I kill it for the fun of slaying a dragon. Getting some loot/silver while doing it and maybe some yellows to salvage for globs. If the precursor drops, awesome. If not, tomorrow is another day.

I play the game to have fun, not the greedy game. Don’t be greedy or u become the scrooge. Don’t forget of the ghosts of the christmas past/present and future :p

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Avan.1540

I want my expensive skins for all my alts, and if that means playing the TP, then so be it.

Also – have some irony – I find derping about helping lowbies out in the lowbie zones more fun than that event, so go take your preachy nonsense somewhere else.

Posted by: ezd.6359

ezd.6359

Precursors are not something special from those chests. It is just random like from any random mob. Just chests are not under effect of Magic Find and devs increased base chance to drop something special, may be like you have 100% magic find and kill common mobs, also they drop 5 items + 2 crests. It is good for people with 0% mf, but just waste of time who have 150%. If you can kill dragons in 5-10 minutes, it is ok. But when you must spend 30+ minutes… no, thanks.

I did kill 50-100 dragons (never counted tbh) and i got only one exotic from them: named but not a precursor. In same time i got ~5 named exotics from random mobs. I think it is more profitable to farm events with many mobs (big numbers do the trick).

English is not my native language, sorry :<

LHound.8964

Good for you that you like to help lowbies in the lowbie zones. Be aware that it gives almost nothing. It’s better to play the TP.

See… i used your logic!

I’m not saying that Jormag is always a gold mine. Nor i am saying that the precursors drops a lot of the times. But if you are intending to play the game just for gold, then Jormag is not for you. If you by chance do like to kill the dragons, then the drops are insignificant.

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

It is not Jormag!

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

LHound.8964

It is not Jormag!

The thread title says Jormag. … want to elaborate?

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

The boss is actually called The Claw of Jormag, but everybody just calls him Jormag for short. It’s the closest we’ll ever get to fight the actual Jormag right now, so…

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

It is not Jormag!

The thread title says Jormag. … want to elaborate?

Jormag isn’t in the game yet. You think that wussy is an actual Elder Dragon?

Shame on you!

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I have to agree with the OP, historically, anytime a DR like this or lower drop rate is implemented it ALWAYS ends in disaster because people won’t waste their time anymore. And to those who think these events aren’t here (now so late after launch) for the purposes of farming them, get real seriously. These events are no longer new and no longer just there as a means to bring people in with storyline content, they are there to have fun and more importantly BE REWARDED for that fun. When they take out the reward for whatever the reason they are removing the most attractive part of any game title and thus hurting their game. You can speculate all you want but that’s what’s happening and more importantly that’s what mmo history shows us.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Avan.1540

Actually, the lowbie zones are surprisingly profitable. They can still drop items up to level 76 – this includes rares (at a weirdly higher rate than higher level zones, and I’m not sure why that is), and also drop unidentified dyes. Also I can play the lowbie zones with the TP taking up a fair chunk of the screen, no problem, because the mobs there are highly ineffectual at doing damage to me.

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

I can see it now.. map chat… “Need more for dragon”

Over 30 minutes for crap loot from the dragon’s chest? No thank you. The T6 and T5 material drops from the adds were the only real draw. Lodestones were a nice bonus every now and then.

And for you guys standing off to the side of the Claw, shooting your Charzookas at the ice wall while ignoring the adds, quit exploiting the game. Ignoring the adds just makes the whole event harder on everyone else and is akin to exploiting. These adds were put there for a reason. To circumvent them is shameful of you. (Sarcasm btw)

Posted by: Clark Skinner.4902

Clark Skinner.4902

I was told the targetting thing ISN’T a bug, they changed it so you have to use teh bazookas to target the wall. Bazookas have 2000 range I think, which means you can use them from a distance that the 400 DPS won’t hurt you.

As for the adds. If everyone “did their part” and smashed the wall, the adds would come and attack people from behind. Is the proper way of doing it to just leave them?

In the second part, I can’t survive the insane DPS if I stand up close even with all of those water fields. The only way I can survive the fight is by being at the back and darting in to throw an AoE down on the ice pillars. If I get too close the Gods— I mean Vets on the ledges kill me asap.

Also, strangely the window started 2.5 hours ago and no Claw has shown up. With the constant increases in time between spawns, the sometimes huge wait times when the window opens, the lower loot rate, and them taking the small elementals loot from us… I get the feeling they just don’t want us to do it anymore. I’m feeling very edged out of the game. It’s really killing my motivation to do anything.

Posted by: Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch.7960

They nerfed the drops, essentially screwing up lodestone drops.
They some how screwed up the ice shield, so now the fight takes about an hour.
They keep screwing up the timers with their updates.
Seems like they killed the chest drops too. In fact i’m sure of it, getting 6 blue drops from a chest is ridiculous.

They have yet to address any of these changes to either drops or the screwed up shield. GG anet.

I was told the targetting thing ISN’T a bug, they changed it so you have to use teh bazookas to target the wall. Bazookas have 2000 range I think, which means you can use them from a distance that the 400 DPS won’t hurt you.

If that was the case, the shield wouldn’t randomly show back up.

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

Dragonbrand – Level 80 – Human Ranger

(edited by Arsenic Touch.7960)

Posted by: Mayam.8976

Mayam.8976

I realize it’s kinda apples to oranges, or maybe apples to pears, or crabapples maybe? I dunno, similes aside, anyone else find it a tad ironic that on one hand there is a segment of the player base raising Cain about “verticle” gear progression and there steadfastness that they don’t want to have to put any more time or effort into their gear once they have reached the level of gear they are comfortable with. Then at the same time you have a portion of the player base constantly pointing out any discrepencies or illogical loot drop rates and tables. If I were a developer I would definitely be feeling as though, to some extent, I’m trying to cater to two mutually exclusive group’s game feature desires. If it’s strictly about skins though then I’m sorry, I’m just not seeing a reason for any urgency or need to increase the availability of the more unique (read: legendary) skins. In terms of application and performance you have the stats to compete on the top level, you simply lack the “skin” per your whimsy.

Personally, I enjoy killing the dragons for the sake of killing the dragons and if I had just one wish regarding them? It would be for them to be more like the quintessential “World Boss”. I realize this is the first itteration of GW2 and likely the future will be bring more content of which will hopefully be more and tougher “World Bosses”. Though the demand for strict “horizontal” progression may be incorrectly interpreted to suggest all future “World Bosses” be on this level of “wussery”. I sincerely hope not though.

I’d love to see the loot tables jacked up, maybe not necessarily drop rates (well much) but in terms of ultra rare mats and yes, even precursors. Not without these “World Boss” Dragons recieving a serious overhaul though. I want to see World Bosses that are truly dangerous, that will require an adequate force showing up to put them down and take some time, resources, and a couple rounds of repairs all around. I’d like to see Adds. that MUST be handled, a requirement for at least some kind of actual group strategy. A “Call to Arms” sent out in /g chat and communicated back to Lion’s Arch calling in back up. You know, like the kind of World Boss fights that many of us are familiar with from more than a couple games. In no way am I advocating copying the World Boss encounters of any other game, far from it. If the encounters we’re stepped up as in this way though I think the 3 hour auto-spawn a’la “Old Faithful” style would no longer be fitting as well though. I think a daily spawn (with at least a matter of a few hours of unpredictability to the spawn timer) would be called for. Even maybe just 2 – 3 spawns a week being that there’s 3 Dragons. I think the degree of the World Boss’ “bad-kittenry” should dictate how often they spawn personally. Also with such wide windows of spawn potential it would necessarily follow just by the law at averages that eventually they will spawn in the “prime time” of every player as well

Do it GW2 style of course, but throw in a healthy dose of challenge, team work, focus and strategy. Heck yeah step up the drops! We’re more than willing to earn them as well A-Net!

P.S: I kill the Dragons for the fun of it. Whatever loot drops for me at the end is just gravy for me. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t like to see better drops though – but I really wanna earn em as well. Currently it’s just spam range attack, run out to regen, rez if someone needs it – pick up my junk when it’s over. In it’s current form it’s just a shadow of the FUN it could be to kill these Dragons. I.M.H.O at least.

P.P.S: I think the point that people CAN just tag the Dragon and then go do, well literally ANYTHING ELSE, and those who remain can STILL smack the Dragons down as fast as we do is a point directly supporting the “ULTRA-WUSSERY” of these “World Bosses”. They’re a “Chanmp Mob” with a really big model at best.

Posted by: Laethan.7862

Laethan.7862

Ive been doing all the dragons every chance i get for the past 3 weeks. Ive yet to see an exotic for myself and very few rares. Mostly blues and maybe a green. And Ive only seen maybe 2 pinged in chat from others. Ive done most of the achivements in the game and decided to try for a precursor so i had something i could work on to keep me interested in the game til more content came out. However, after spending this much time grinding for very little reward, I am quickly loosing interest in the game as a whole. Either my RNG or DR is so bad that there is no hope to acquire a precursor. I wouldnt even care if it was the warhorn or some other cheap, hardly used item. But it is very discouraging to work so hard for something, and have no success.

Now there is much debate over drop rates and such in this game. But I think the precursor issues could be solved in a very simple way. Id like to see a Dragon Token added to the events and an NPC who would take them in exchange for the precursors. Id not even care if it was 500 Tokens at 1 per dragon. Id just like to feel like Im not totally wasting my time and working toward a goal. And just because we could buy a precursor, doesnt mean we still dont have to grind out all the things required to build it. And 500 dragons would still take some time to achieve. Precursors DR could be left untouched so that randomly one would be spit out, there wouldnt be a flood of them on the market, but people wouldnt feel discouraged by getting nothing at all. And that discouragement WILL lead them to go elsewhere and find a new game or an old one that isnt so frustrating. And if you all dont think so, refer to D3.

Posted by: Dradiin.8935

Dradiin.8935

Granted these are not the real dragons (just abstracts of them).

Seriously though these dragon encounters are just lame, lame rewards, lame mechanics. If Anet was so damned worried about players getting too much loot from a dragon fight why not just limit the player to getting a chest once a day like they do with dungeons ?

Instead we get this terribly thought out process of forcing us to use the horrible Pact weapons, barely able to even target what we need to target, and doubling the amount of time it takes to end the fight.

Not only that i cant make the pact weapon auto #1. So clicking 11111111111111 for 20 mins to 30 mins is just plain AWFUL.

Why no mention of this in the patch notes ? Where is the communication they promised was coming, it was mentioned in the recent AMA, but was that just false platitudes ? Trying to appease us with lies ?

So tired of getting 1/2 of the information about patches. Why do i Download 50 megs of information for them to change the parameters of some odd loot bug ? Seriously ? 50 megs for that ?

Just seems so shady.

Anet, you were supposed to be the Developer that made me believe again in a game company that makes games cause they love games, not a greedy jackhole like Blizzard or Bioware. But the way you guys are backpeddling, trying to redefine 1/2 truths, and purposely ignoring issues is just leading me to feel the same i feel about Blizzard and about Bioware.

/rant

(edited by Dradiin.8935)

Posted by: Vinny.6924

Vinny.6924

All they do its nerf and destroy. And its sooooooooooo anmnnnnnnnoyyyying.

Buff some kitten and fix the bugs all across this game.

I hate the jormag fight. Yes I still show up in body but my mind and mouse is elsewhere.

So much was made about gw2 dragons and they failed to produce.

Commander Ahria – Warrior – Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I just did Claw of Jormag- it took ages because there were very few of us, we died a lot because there were very few of us.
In the end I actually lost money since the rewards from the chest vendored for 10 silver in total.

So sad- I love the dragons and I love fighting them.
Making a loss should not be possible- it just makes the fight take longer because people don’t show up.

@ Dradiin- you don’t have to use the pact weapons- after the first time I never did again and playing with your own skills are much more effective and fun.

Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Morrigan.2809)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I realize it’s kinda apples to oranges, or maybe apples to pears, or crabapples maybe? I dunno, similes aside, anyone else find it a tad ironic that on one hand there is a segment of the player base raising Cain about “verticle” gear progression and there steadfastness that they don’t want to have to put any more time or effort into their gear once they have reached the level of gear they are comfortable with. Then at the same time you have a portion of the player base constantly pointing out any discrepencies or illogical loot drop rates and tables.

So, if both of those groups are suggesting (very loudly) that perhaps in this case rewards are seriously underwhelming compared to effort, it just might mean that this is a real problem after all.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Fabsm.5897

Fabsm.5897

Doing the dragon is still a respectable way of losing 30 minutes of your time.
If you aren’t geared glass cannon, you can be near the ice column doing adds, and then getting a charzooka and bringing down the wall.

Now the fight is much more a “event” than before, when it was over in 10 minutes with no difficulties. Only thing they have to do now is balance the loot against the time. I am sure they will do that when the “farming” has reduced to a considerable extent.
At least a guaranteed rare could be reason enough to do the dragon, while farmers could find it desirable or not, and that should balance difficulty with reward.

Events shouldn’t be faced with 60+ people, they are scaled for 20-30 at max, but when all the farmers show up to get the loot from the adds, then the event is outscaled and it becomes trivial. That could be the reason that moved Anet to modify it to make it less appatable to farmers and more to players.

TLDR; They did right, now they have to balance the reward.

Fabsm
Guardian of Moonlight Shadow [MLS]

Posted by: zajatorrete.2350

zajatorrete.2350

So i did claw of jormag today and was shocked with the drop rate.

I barely got anything but 7 trophies , 2 green gloves and white from mobs.

Running around and killing with 150% MF….

Can someone from the Dev team or anyone in Anet explain what’s going on please..

[DHE] Darkhaven Elite
http://www.darkhavenelite.com

LHound.8964

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Posted by: Lothair.8942

Lothair.8942

Yeah, the level 82-84 mobs drop rate has been nerfed to the ground. You know, why make it too easy to get some good items out of an event that happens every 3 hours.

Posted by: Medazolam.3058

Medazolam.3058

nerfed, or so it seems. would be nice to know why from the developers

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Here is an idea..

Its called killing of mobs that kill the npcs that shoot at the dragon…and they wont shoot at the dragon when their down,it will take a much longer time,learn to realize something like this before starting to call people leechers.And people Do come here for the loot,you want to say that you come there to look at a pwetty dwagon ?

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

/shrug

You knew it was a bit too lucrative. There’s no event like it (save Tequatl and Shatterer) that gets people to turn out with such enthusiasm and regularity.

Posted by: Bartas.4908

Bartas.4908

It is not only Jormag event. Seems ANet nerfed ALL drop rates, everywhere.

Check https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Change-in-loot-parameters-or-a-bug-Merged

Proud member of [BOO]
Thief/Necro/Guardian/Mesmer/Elementalist of SFR EU

Posted by: Ageia.5843

Ageia.5843

Can someone from the Dev team or anyone in Anet explain what’s going on please..

Not to make light of your pain, but welcome to the club. This is the kind of drop rate I have ALWAYS gotten from Claw of Jormag. I’ve never seen one, single, useful item drop from this boss.

LemurTron.9261

weird, I could have sworn i saw a bump to Jormag rewards mentioned in patch notes somewhere recently. Just searched the News and Announcements forum for “Jormag” and “dragon” and couldn’t find anything pertinent..

Was it mentioned elsewhere or am i completely hallucinating that the community’s expectation of better loot from Jormag/dragons was somehow imminent?

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Not to make light of your pain, but welcome to the club. This is the kind of drop rate I have ALWAYS gotten from Claw of Jormag. I’ve never seen one, single, useful item drop from this boss.

Exactly when was this cutoff because two months ago every time i went there i at the very least got rares over and over with the occasional useless exotic.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!