Judge the game by its merits and not the hype

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cloudwalkernz.1328

Cloudwalkernz.1328

Sadly the forum has turn pretty sour lately. In my opinion players should judge GW2 by its merits and not the hype in the media or in the forum.

After replaying GW1 to refresh my memory of it, I come to agree with a lot of commentators that GW2 is a total different game to GW1 and perhaps it should really be called Guild Wars: Rise of the Elder Dragons than GW2. But this is not necessary a bad thing.

While it has a lot of problems like other mmos that been released recently, GW2 is easily one of the prettiest MMO around. Also the producers seemed to be committed to produce new contents and bugs fixed every month.

Personally I think the monthly events were great. I hate jumping puzzles in general but I think the Clock tower is awesome (I never finished it and would like another chance before next Halloween).

The November event is a bit of a laggy bugs fest but at least A-net put in a decent reward at the end.

The new island (the lost shore) is a bit small but IMHO it is way better than Orr.

The new dungeon Fractals is one of the most innovative and fun dungeons I have play in any MMO for a very long time. While it is not perfect and has a few problems, I think if A-net can continue to develop contents like this GW2 will has a very bright future.

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

Would you tip a pizza delivery guy who insulted your mother, whizzed on your lawn, and called you a drugged-out-freeloader before giving you that pizza? The pizza is the most amazing pizza ever. But would you even accept the delivery under that kind of treatment?

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

Posted by: Valtameri.2075

Valtameri.2075

Would you tip a pizza delivery guy who insulted your mother, whizzed on your lawn, and called you a drugged-out-freeloader before giving you that pizza? The pizza is the most amazing pizza ever. But would you even accept the delivery under that kind of treatment?

I’d propably kick him in the nuts, then take the pizza and enjoy it. Ofc he can forget about the tip tho.

That being said, yes i know this game isn’t what they promised, that is sad.
But at the end of the day i ask myself; do i enjoy playing this nontheless? Answer is, YES, very much so.

Posted by: Pants.8315

Pants.8315

That’s an awful analogy. Deviating from the manifesto is much more like a pizza company delivering you a pepperoni pizza instead of a margherita.

Whilst you get more stuff, it’s not what you asked for.

There were no insults thrown around and they certainly didn’t whizz over the lawn.

Posted by: Ivonbeton.6814

Ivonbeton.6814

You have to understand, it’s mostly like this on forums for MMO’s. There is usually a vocal minority who you can’t please no matter what you do. And like with any sequel, the original will always field many supporters who want to golden old days.

There are also a lot of real issues being pointed out on the forums though. A lot of players, like myself, mainly come here when they have grievances with the game or problems.

Like my post here : https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Unifying-the-FotM-playerbase/first#post796414

Posted by: Tenshi.3598

Tenshi.3598

To summarize: when GW2 was close to completion, based on its plans my thoughts were, if even half of this will be accomplished, it will surely be a great game – the best of its type.

And now I say, yes, it’s about half what I hoped for. Many things don’t work as well as they could, but almost everything does show the brilliance that I also liked GW1 for (most of the time :P).

RNG should be reduced (make a standard drop value with some possible deviation). Precursors should be rewarded for skill, not for luck. Make MagicFind a spread party buff when in dungeons; possibly add some MF when lower level players join the run. Fractals: make a system like in PvP, where one can enlist (solo or as group) to any tier they have unlocked; the server assembles the parties. As for ascended: unless you wish to make exotics on par with them, make ascended available for crafting. Players should be able to craft the best quality gear for themselves.

Things like these can be solved, I’m quite sure.

To put another summary at the end: it has been shown that the game can handle fantastic events that make me love arenanet. It has also been shown that the hardware can not handle it. A balance needs to be struck here.

All in all, I loved last weekend’s events, despite the bugs, the lag, and other issues.

This Glade has thorns…and here they are!

Posted by: Ravina Gray.4719

Ravina Gray.4719

I’ve yet to see any of the brilliance from GW1 the whole ethos here has shifted. Fractals is not encouraging but requiring elitism and has a core of exclusion (because you cannot progress with players of a lower difficulty level in your party) and to get the new Ascended items there is only one route Fractals.

The weekends event had absolutely no imagination behind it… gamebreaking lag in Phase 1, bugged NPC’s in Phase 2 and Phase 3 was purely about how to waste 2+ hours. Killing the same mobs in practically the same place for 2+ hours hardly new, groundbreaking or innovative! Possibly worth it if you got a precursor from the chest but not everyone did.

Posted by: Ballistic.4531

Ballistic.4531

I love it!

That’s an awful analogy. Deviating from the manifesto is much more like a pizza company delivering you a pepperoni pizza instead of a margherita.

Whilst you get more stuff, it’s not what you asked for.

There were no insults thrown around and they certainly didn’t whizz over the lawn.

They deliver you pepperoni pizza but you’re allergic to pepperoni. Still kick him in the nuts!

This world needs more people being frank and less people being offended.

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

But at the end of the day i ask myself; do i enjoy playing this nontheless? Answer is, YES, very much so.

Breaking their promise is the big problem when the promise is a major reason why I bought GW2 in the first place. I don’t play other MMOs because I don’t like gear treadmills.

So adding a gear treadmill is a problem. Second only to the lie.

They deliver you pepperoni pizza but you’re allergic to pepperoni. Still kick him in the nuts!

You know, an allergy might be a bit strong an analogy. A better one would be that you’re a vegan and you ordered a vegan pizza from the only place that makes them. You pay in advance because it’s easier, and you have been buying them for years.

The pizza arrives and you find it covered in cheese. Then you get told that you shouldn’t complain because all pizzas have cheese on them.

Posted by: Valtameri.2075

Valtameri.2075

Breaking their promise is the big problem when the promise is a major reason why I bought GW2 in the first place. I don’t play other MMOs because I don’t like gear treadmills.

So adding a gear treadmill is a problem. Second only to the lie.

As i said, i know it is problem for some people, but it’s not my problem.
I’m still enjoy playing it, so i don’t honestly care if they have broken their promise.
Might be selfish point of view, but at least i am happily playing while others sit here and rant.

Posted by: TommyProvolone.3715

TommyProvolone.3715

I agree with the problems of the gear treadmill. Whenever I log onto the game now, I feel a sudden force of energy pushing me to Fractal of the mists and forcing me to do a small part of the game I don’t want to do even though I don’t have to do it.

Posted by: Steely Phil.3952

Steely Phil.3952

I do judge it on its merits. Or rather, the lack thereof.

“Yo dawg, we heard you liked grind.” -ANet

Posted by: Mackdose.6504

Mackdose.6504

I’ve never seen people get so mad over having more to do over the long-term of the game. I must be the only person on the forums who’s okay with ascended gear.

“I didn’t buy into GW2 being the second coming of christ.
I just wanted a AAA MMO with no sub made by ArenaNet. And it’s awesome.”

Posted by: Ivonbeton.6814

Ivonbeton.6814

I’ve never seen people get so mad over having more to do over the long-term of the game. I must be the only person on the forums who’s okay with ascended gear.

No you aren’t the only one, it still needs some improving, but atleast now there is something challenging with progression and actually worth doing money-wise in PvE. Way better than before! It’s really a lot of fun above lvl 10 because most people know how to play and are generally friendly and interested in working together.

Forums in mmo’s are always a place for people to come and vent. There is usually no other way to share their grievances. So it’s a bit of a twisted image you are getting

Posted by: Aerwyna.2541

Aerwyna.2541

No you aren’t the only one, it still needs some improving, but atleast now there is something challenging with progression and actually worth doing money-wise in PvE. Way better than before! It’s really a lot of fun above lvl 10 because most people know how to play and are generally friendly and interested in working together.

Yep, not the only one, count me in the 3 percent of people on the forum without tears on their faces.

Renoria Blackheart loves her kitty Kronos. <3
Proud member of the Blackgate community.

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

There were (promised) mertis that made the game like no other.
Unfortunatelly, it all came down ugly.

A great merit of GW2 was the horizontal plateau of power which meant leveled field of play for everyone.
You beat a challege, won PvP, finished a dungeon? You did so not because of your gear, but because of your skill and teamplay.
This – the biggest, most important merit of this game – is now gone.

What’s left?
Pretty world with dull main story, gold-grindy achievements and gear grind.
No in-game support, no account restoration, not even reimbursement for losses caused by bugs in the game.
Boring, outdated dungeon mechanics (with all my respect: if you find GW2 dungeons engaging, you must have missed basically every MMO that did it half-well during the past 5 years).
Dungeons gated by gear too, one of the worse mechanics ever: tried before and dropped in shame (WoW, LotRO).
Okay, it has jumping puzzles. And Quaggans. Not really enough to keep me in game.

No, I’m not seeing the game through it’s hype, I’m seeing it for what it is. And it’s poor.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson