Jump puzzle rewards scaling with map levels

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Runyst.2034

Runyst.2034

I would like to know why Arena Net decided to make it so the splendid chests at the end of a jumping puzzle would only scale with the map level. I was going around finding all the jump puzzles I missed with my friends in the lower level zones as a level 80. When we finally finished the jump puzzle in Caledon Forest, I get 3 lvl9 equipment. I just don’t understand the reasoning behind this move or if it was even intentional. It makes me not want to go back and help friends if they get stuck on jump puzzles in the lower level. I don’t get any level relevant reward and I feel it takes away from the experience. You finally get through a difficult jump quest or finally figure it out after an hour or two then you get rewarded with things that are 30-70 levels below you. Where’s the fun in that.

Posted by: jayderyu.3751

jayderyu.3751

hmm. I’m not sure the last time Prince of Persia offer level scaled gear. I think maybe in the 1980’s version the chest were more balanced….. wait. Maybe you can just enjoy the jumping puzzles for the fact that they are entertaining. Ok some are more entertaining than others. Metrica is just awesome. Caledona is descent, human starting was so so.

Although I do understand your point. I find gear drops off of creatures to be closer to scale although still lower. It would seem odd that loots offers better returns than the jumping puzzles. The jumping puzzles I don’t think reward more than once. So it woud be more appropriate to offer similar level rewards.

Finally I thank you for answering the question I have been wondering about. Can I go back to a jumping puzzle at level 80 and get scaled loot. Answer is no. so I’m just going to enjoy them

I don’t need no stinking signature.

Posted by: kal.4350

kal.4350

I don’t even know what the puzzles are yet, even though I’ve read about them.

The question is: is the reward a 1 time only thing, or is it repeatable? If it is repeatable, then it should scale with your level. If it is a 1 time thing, then it has to be the same level as the map. That’s because otherwise the most efficient way to do it would be to wait until 80 and then do all puzzles, and that’s the opposite of what they want.

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

that’s what i was wondering too. if that’s the case, that they were level scaled, no one would be doing them until post 80. then again, if they maybe added time races, i.e. if you finish race within certain time, you get such rewards and that goes up in scale..

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Smigl.6178

Smigl.6178

I don’t even know what the puzzles are yet, even though I’ve read about them.

The question is: is the reward a 1 time only thing, or is it repeatable? If it is repeatable, then it should scale with your level. If it is a 1 time thing, then it has to be the same level as the map. That’s because otherwise the most efficient way to do it would be to wait until 80 and then do all puzzles, and that’s the opposite of what they want.

and they dont want us to get decent gear for our level? to be frustrared when you see rewords for hard work to get there to be lv 9 gear? explain me please…

Posted by: kal.4350

kal.4350

They want you to do the puzzles while leveling. Not get there and say, “I wont do this, so I get a great item at lvl 80”, and save all the puzzles. It’s the same as map completion. They give you a reward of the same level as the zone, because it is a one time reward. Otherwise everybody would save map completion until lvl 80 and then complete all for the best items.

Like I said, repeatable rewards can be scaled on your level, 1 time rewards not, unless you want players to just wait until lvl 80 to do them all

Posted by: Azuriel.3487

Azuriel.3487

All chests are farmable, e.g. they respawn on a daily basis. This includes Splendid Chests. I have two alts hanging out at the Shamans’ Rookery for exactly this purpose, and the Rich Copper Node that also always respawns at that location.

At one point, I swear these chests gave rewards that scaled with your own level. They do not do so any longer. Three level 9 items are sometimes still good to break down into more mats, but I agree that it destroys all incentive to complete lower-level zones.

“You are auto-leveled down so everything will be a challenge and thus content! Except you get level 1-10 XP and gear, so there isn’t a point after all.”

Posted by: Runyst.2034

Runyst.2034

You have to understand that some of these jump quests are actually extremely well hidden so the chances of someone missing them are quite high. The chests only respawn once a day now and no longer drop level relevant loot like they used to. If someone’s willing to devote the time to doing the jump quests daily to get the reward, why not let them?
I quite enjoy doing jump quests as I find them highly satisfying to complete without mistakes. However, now I feel like I’m punished for not searching every nook and cranny of every single map and being overleveled. Also keep in mind every map has one or more jump quest with a splendid chest or a normal chest at the end. This means no matter what, you will miss some of these jumps until a much later level when you will only get crap.

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

that’s what i was wondering too. if that’s the case, that they were level scaled, no one would be doing them until post 80. then again, if they maybe added time races, i.e. if you finish race within certain time, you get such rewards and that goes up in scale..

I know you can open them multiple times. I’ve done it before.
However i’ve only tested this under the following circumstances

WvWvW:
The chests reset when the map/points/combatants do

All Areas:
The chests reset after each maint

As far as I can figure the chests are considered open for you until the map is reset. This happens after maint, and in WvWvW every time the combatants change (which means that right now you can be doing all the sanctums daily and getting all those lovely siege blueprints!)

As for loot scaling. My level 80 charr did branded mine (a jump puzzle in a 30-40 zone) and received level 76 and 78 blues. So it did scale somewhat.

EDIT:
additonal conjecture – the chests may simply reset when the dailies do (as this is when the WvWvW map changes, it would fit all evidence) however I have not tested this. (if someone wants to, simply finish a jump puzzle before the dailies reset, then leave the map. Once the dailies reset go back and do it again and check if the chest has been restocked for you)