Jumping.

Jumping.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: mesme.5028

mesme.5028

I hate jumping

Puzzle quest’s, fracts jumping, dungeon jumping, pvp jumping.

In gw1 we couldn’t jump, but now a-net adds it to gw2 and makes a huge huge deal about it, it is like they discovered the wheel.

A-net we get it we really do, we can jump in gw2 now /yey
enough already pls, pretty pls, pls with sugar on top.

Jumping.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

I absolutely hate jumping puzzles because I suck at it due my dexterity issues, BUT, I continually keep going to them. {:þ

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Jumping.

Posted by: kaminator.5693

kaminator.5693

I like jumping, it makes things more fun, I wish that there wold be more jumping puzzles.

Jumping.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Moar jumping puzzles!

Not being able to jump or walk down a slightly steep incline in Guild Wars 1 drove me crazy.

Jumping.

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

I hate JP (I lack the required effort/patience to do it) and I don’t do them.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Jumping.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I think having JP’s in game is a great addition and many love them. I would strongly oppose ‘requiring’ them in any way and that includes putting them in as required components in open world PvE or dungeons. They are great as long as they can be avoided as some players just aren’t good at this (or don’t like it) and there’s no reason to marginalize a group within the player base.

Jumping.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I agree. I think all jumping puzzles should be voluntary. I don’t like having points of interest or skill points or vistas on top of jumping puzzles (like Tribulation Rift Scaffolding).

Mind you, I personally love them. I just don’t think Anet should hide world completion beyond them.

Jumping.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I am bad in them, no doubt about that. And some chars do it better than others, my ranger with it’s constant speed boost has it easy on most. But I kinda like them, Anet can add a few more or even more than a few.

Jumping.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I don’t mind the jumping system in fact I actually like it and have completed every single JP so far. However I MUST say that there seems to be a difference with the races and jumping that I have found so far.

My 1st 4 chars to hit 100% world complete were all Humans and I had little to no problems. My 5th (but second race) was a Norn who at first seemed a little bit trickier but I got him there in the end. Now I am doing my Charr and only have 5 PVE maps to go and 2 WvW…….

I swear jumping with a Charr is a royal pain in the backside 99% of the time. In the trickiest of spots you have to make sure you have your weapon is out so you can see where your feet are on a vertical angle, as being on all fours can really mess things up for you. So let me first say I have that part understood. Yet yesterday I swear I was so frustrated I was about to come here and rant like crazy because of the Vista in the Eternal Borderlands at the Green Keep. If my feet were not jumping high enough to get on one of the ledges my Charr’s shoulders were always hitting something above him. Why oh why did they have to make Charr so dang huge? They are based on cats after all not lions (imo/eyes :P) so they should have been a lot smaller. In the end a friendly mesmer came along, saw me struggling and offered me a portal (thank you again for that! ). BTW I should also say that I had NO problems what so ever on this vista with my humans and the mesmer who came along told me he could NEVER do this vista with his Charr either.

Summary, all races are NOT created equal when it comes to jumping challenges and even jumping itself imo.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Jumping.

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

Moar jumping puzzles!

Not being able to jump or walk down a slightly steep incline in Guild Wars 1 drove me crazy.

But in Guild Wars 2 if you walk down a slightly steep incline you die.

Jumping.

Posted by: Riselight.3695

Riselight.3695

Because you don’t like JPs, it doesn’t mean no one likes JPs. I like the concept of it, you are exploring a map and you see a suspicion cave, you enter and you found a JP! Awesome, let’s try it out. It’s one of things that exploration is more than only vistas/poi’s/wps etc

Riselight [WvW] – Elementalist
Smough The Cruel [WvW] – Warrior

Jumping.

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Anyone who isn’t good at JP’s is probably using W,A,S,D for movement.

Jumping.

Paulytnz.7619

I really have no idea what you are talking about here……

I consider myself good at them (having done them all) and I use W,A,S,D and I also have W set up as auto run too.

Jumping.

Paulytnz.7619

Oh one last thing I would like to say is the Jumping Challenges I find in this game (be it the puzzles, vistas and some of the skill points) remind me a heck of a lot of an old, old, old game I used to play on the genesis called “Landstalker”. I swear someone in the Anet team used to be a fan of that game I just know it.

Can I please have confirmation on this from someone who designs or came up with the jumping challenges idea lol?

Jumping.

Posted by: Vawn.3041

Vawn.3041

You must forgive them. When game developers get new toys to play with, they tend to get carried away.

Josh: Hey Colin, we’re adding a Z-axis to the next game!
Colin: Cool story, bro’
Josh: I’m serious!
Colin: No way, Get out! Really?
Josh: It’s going down, bro!
Colin: How many meters are we putting on that Z-axis?
Josh: Over nine thousaaaannnnndddddd!
Colin and Josh together: *ROFL* *Bro-fist!* *Chest Bump!*
Josh: Dude.
Colin: Dude, what?
Josh: Jumping puzzles…
Colin’s eyes widen and glisten all Anime “Pretty Boy”-like!
Josh slaps a bottle of 9-hour energy into Colin’s hands and grins like a maniac!

And then…OH SNAP! *BAM* Morrigan’s Spiral! *BAM* Mad King’s Clocktower!
Dead players everywhere! Hell breaks loose! Chaos!

Colin: This is awesome! Dude, we’re gonna have to start selling space-bars!

Anyway, jumping is cool, but I’ve also had my fair share of jump hate too. Do you know how many times I died at that part in the Dark Reverie jumping puzzle? Over ni…oh, forget it.

Vawn: Ok…if I take a running jump right off the very edge of this mushroom cap at exactly this angle, then do a 30-degree mid-air turn as I reach the edge of the higher one, I should be able to make…*screamdie #4087*

-Vawn

P.S.: I finally did complete the puzzle, after about a month or so of dying over and over.

“I died. I died again. Hey! I died again.” That’s great. We just don’t want players to die in Guild Wars 2 – Jumping Puzzles: The new MMO paradigm

(edited by Vawn.3041)

Jumping.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Moar jumping puzzles!

But in Guild Wars 2 if you walk down a slightly steep incline you die.

90 degree incline isn’t slightly steep. {:þ

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Jumping.

Posted by: Fox.8957

Fox.8957

Anyway, jumping is cool, but I’ve also had my fair share of jump hate too. Do you know how many times I died at that part in the Dark Reverie jumping puzzle? Over ni…oh, forget it.

Oh man! THAT part. Uggggggh. I fell off so many times and just laid there HOPING someone would be coming by. Laying there in that cold, dark place……and finally giving up and having to redo Spiral again and then run through the Court again and then fall AGAIN. Gaaaaaaah.

But I do love them. Just not that one.

~Zoe Fox~ [Rare] : Continuing the tradition since 1070 AE {Sorrow’s Furnace}

Jumping.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I love jumping
In gw1 we couldn’t jump, but now a-net adds it to gw2 and makes jumping more amazing than it ever has been in an MMO.
more pls, pretty pls, pls with sugar on top.
More hatz too pls, and better medium armor.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Jumping.

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

I hate jumping

In gw1 we couldn’t jump, but now a-net adds it to gw2 and makes a huge huge deal about it, it is like they discovered the wheel.

I think of jumping puzzles (I actually like them) as a sort of punishment for all of those folks who complained that you couldn’t jump in GW1.

Jumping.

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

I don’t see how that would cause any problems.

I’m using a Nostromo and Naga.

I’ve done all jumping puzzles, map completions on two characters so I’ve gotten all the spots that require some kind of jumping.

I consider myself pretty good at jumping. I like to jump.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

Jumping.

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

I used to hate jumping puzzles with a passion – Hated them – because I was horrible at them. But I’d do a little climbing here, a little climbing there, and about 4-5 months in I really started getting the hang of it, then I really started enjoying it; now I climb and jump all over the place just for the fun of it.

So I totally get not liking ‘em – there are games I’m never played because jumping was a major part – but if you do a little bit at a time, not even on puzzles, just climbing mountains and hills for practice, you might start finding that you actually enjoy it.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Jumping.

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

Gonna have to call shenanigans on that one; there are some puzzles I’ve done where using WASD made them easier. I use W and S all the time when setting up jumps or recovering from them – A and D for recentering. Then some are better on just my mouse … it’s really a matter of what your’re more comfortable with.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Jumping.

Posted by: Sil.4560

Sil.4560

Jumping…eh. It feels a little stiff at times, but isn’t super hard. What I hate is the camera. Did they really have to make so many of the puzzles put crap in between your view and the camera, or force the camera up your kitten I feel like the main challenge in half of the game’s jumping puzzles is just not being able to see what you’re doing.

And don’t get me started on the vague surfaces of what’s too “slippery” to stand on/walk up and what’s considered “flat”.

Jumping.

Posted by: Sharvis.9085

Sharvis.9085

Oh one last thing I would like to say is the Jumping Challenges I find in this game (be it the puzzles, vistas and some of the skill points) remind me a heck of a lot of an old, old, old game I used to play on the genesis called “Landstalker”. I swear someone in the Anet team used to be a fan of that game I just know it.

Can I please have confirmation on this from someone who designs or came up with the jumping challenges idea lol?

I LOVE that game. Was not expecting someone to mention that here, haha. I still have that game, but my SEGA Genesis does not work. :’(

Jumping.

Posted by: Phoenixfudge.5290

Phoenixfudge.5290

I absolutely love jumping! Then again, I have good reflexes and grew up playing with platformers. Unfortunately, it seems as if people in this group are the 1%. I really enjoyed Mad King’s Clock Tower to the point where I farmed it for ToT bags. Most people on the forums seemed to really hate it.

I do hope Anet keeps churning out the hardcore jumping puzzles. They’re so fun!

Jumping.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Overall I like jumping, great addition to the game…

Even through I can’t do the hard difficulty JP’s, can’t do eternal battlegrounds, the southsun cove geyser and mad kings clock tower. But even through those are beyond me, I still like JP’s…

The only thing that annoys me with regard to jumping is well travelling about you get slight raised points in the landscape and you after jump them, or your character just runs on the spot. These are just annoying and in the real world you could just step over them or walk up the rise without difficulty. They add nothing to the game, no difficulty at all, just annoying to playing the game…

Jumping.

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

I both like and hate puzzles.

The idea is interesting and (if not necessary for anything) doesn’t get in the way. But in order for them not to make me want to stab things I’d need to create a character I don’t particularly want, just to run puzzles. I did have human characters and an asura at one point but finding their storylines fairly boring I ultimately deleted them to complete the other Charr options – and these replacements are just awful for puzzles. I mean it’s not impossible, but I just don’t find it fun anymore when instead of miscalculating a distance or something, my failures come from things like the view smacking into walls and other objects, or my character’s body obscuring both the thing I’m trying to land on and the (comparatively) small base on which it actually stands.

Jumping.

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

I like them. They can be frustrating at times but eventually you get them. One of the few things I can feel pretty happy about completing.

I really was a little concerned about the jumping puzzles at first cause the Datacrons in SWTOR drove me up the wall. Though I eventually got all those too, I just hated it because it felt like it didn’t fit the game, in terms of the way your character moved and reacted. At least in GW2 I find it more fluid and a lot easier to manage. And it was even more crap in SWTOR cause it was the only way to get the stat bonuses and the special accessory. Though I guess you could do without it.

I can’t say I’m good at platforming games. But I enjoy playing them. I die a lot but I still enjoy them. And my reflexes are absolutely trash.

To each their own really. You aren’t missing out on too much if you don’t want to do the JPs anymore. Other then achievements and for monthly/dailies. And the occasional holiday event. Even in the current LS sample achievements you can totally avoid collecting the JP sample if you want. If you aren’t enjoying it I would never force myself to complete it.

Jumping.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

What do you still use the arrow keys? Dont worry, you will get better after a few years kid.

Jumping.

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

Jumping on a Charr is really hard…. you should get bonus points for having to deal with it.

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

Jumping.

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

What do you still use the arrow keys? Dont worry, you will get better after a few years kid.

Mouse for movement works much better.

Jumping.

Posted by: Unknown.2796

Unknown.2796

I hate jumping

1. Start GW2, go in-game and press F11
2. Go to the 4th tab “Control options”
3. In “Movement” look up “Jump” and double click the word “Space”
4. Click “unbind” & click “accept”.

Location, location, location.

Jumping.

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

I love jumping puzzles. In fact, i’ll go as far to say that without jumping puzzles, I wouldn’t be playing gw2.

Jumping.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I am bad at jumping but the only puzzle so far that I absolutely cannot do is the southsun vent puzzle. Thank god for mesmers. I do not think they should be required to finish maps like the wall one, so that should be changed to get the skill point and view. Never had a huge problem with that one though several people on forums where very upset about it.

Jumping.

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

I am bad at jumping but the only puzzle so far that I absolutely cannot do is the southsun vent puzzle. Thank god for mesmers. I do not think they should be required to finish maps like the wall one, so that should be changed to get the skill point and view. Never had a huge problem with that one though several people on forums where very upset about it.

It took me months to do that southsun jp (skipping stones, it’s called) but I attribute my success in JPs recently due to the super adventure box farming and the fact that starting a new toon, a mesmer, requires me to be proficient at jumping because porting ppl up makes me feel good That said, I still get annoyed at jps because I still need multiple tries, especially skipping stones, but I’m getting fairly adept at the Eternal Battle grounds JP/ Obsidian Sanctum.

My first annoyance with JPs is the camera, which is both an issue regarding specific races (norn and charr have hard time) and the fact that there are places where things just OBSTRUCT your view. I hate jumping when i have to zoom in so close to my toon, i prefer to see a bigger picture so to speak, but with said obstructions it is either jump with zoomed in camera or jump blind.

My second annoyance is the ridiculousness of some JPs where i can’t figure out where to go next only to find that I have to jump onto some ledge so narrow that no person could realistically stand on it, let alone perform ‘acrobatics’ there; so narrow that it seems only rats could scurry on it, and yet THAT is the way you have to jump. I know, it’s a game, but really this kind of trick for jumping puzzles in a game like GW2 just seems silly and sorta breaks immersion for me. in fact it almost feels like an EXPLOIT.

Jumping.

Posted by: ShinraGuardian.8053

ShinraGuardian.8053

I hate jumping

GW1 people complained about not being able to jump. GW2 people complain about being able to jump.

Logic

Dragonbrand
Elementalist
The Dragonfly Effect [Phi]

Jumping.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

For those who have trouble with jumping puzzles as a charr or norn, any tonic that turns you into a humanoid also allows you to jump. My wife has the everlasting christmas doll tonic which she keeps on her norn, so she can make herself small while doing jumping puzzles.

Jumping.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I hate jumping

A) I love jumping and jumping puzzles
B) They are going overboard on it as sort of a “you asked for it” thing. We begged and begged and begged for jumping all through GW1… they even lost players because of the lack of it. So now they are making up for that =D

Jumping.

Posted by: mesme.5028

mesme.5028

You must forgive them. When game developers get new toys to play with, they tend to get carried away.

Josh: Hey Colin, we’re adding a Z-axis to the next game!
Colin: Cool story, bro’
Josh: I’m serious!
Colin: No way, Get out! Really?
Josh: It’s going down, bro!
Colin: How many meters are we putting on that Z-axis?
Josh: Over nine thousaaaannnnndddddd!
Colin and Josh together: *ROFL* *Bro-fist!* *Chest Bump!*
Josh: Dude.
Colin: Dude, what?
Josh: Jumping puzzles…
Colin’s eyes widen and glisten all Anime “Pretty Boy”-like!
Josh slaps a bottle of 9-hour energy into Colin’s hands and grins like a maniac!

And then…OH SNAP! *BAM* Morrigan’s Spiral! *BAM* Mad King’s Clocktower!
Dead players everywhere! Hell breaks loose! Chaos!

Colin: This is awesome! Dude, we’re gonna have to start selling space-bars!

Vawn: Ok…if I take a running jump right off the very edge of this mushroom cap at exactly this angle, then do a 30-degree mid-air turn as I reach the edge of the higher one, I should be able to make…*screamdie #4087*

-Vawn

P.S.: I finally did complete the puzzle, after about a month or so of dying over and over.

“I died. I died again. Hey! I died again.” That’s great. We just don’t want players to die in Guild Wars 2 – Jumping Puzzles: The new MMO paradigm

You made me laugh so much rl love you humor.