Jumping Puzzle Progression / Infusion

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sundial.9015

Sundial.9015

So me and my friend briktal were talking on the IRC and he came up with a great idea. We both really liked Ascended Gear / Infusions for PvE so we though it should extend to other areas of the game.

-The Idea-
Add vertical progression / ascended gear infusions to jumping puzzles. Basically, have jumping puzzles give higher debuffs the harder they are and require you do do a bunch of jumping puzzles to get infusions for ascended gear so you can do harder puzzles.

Lets call this defuff “Gravity” and you need infused ascended gear in order to ignore it. The more you have, the more stacks of gravity you ignore. If you don’t have any infusions to counter it and try to do a hard jumping puzzle you should instantly splat on the floor and die on the first jump.

I feel like we need clear progression on jumping puzzles as I have no motivation to do them without it.

Please limit feedback to constructive only.

Sundial, Necromancer – Aurora Catulus, Engineer – Kaine Illuma, Elementalist
WvW Captain – Horde of Miscreations, Borlis Pass Alliance

Posted by: VarietyX.3510

VarietyX.3510

Hire this man right now.

Posted by: Dormedas.9524

Dormedas.9524

Lets call this defuff “Gravity” and you need infused ascended gear in order to ignore it. The more you have, the more stacks of gravity you ignore. If you don’t have any infusions to counter it and try to do a hard jumping puzzle you should instantly splat on the floor and die on the first jump.

I feel like we need clear progression on jumping puzzles as I have no motivation to do them without it.

So I’ll need another set of Infusions to put into my Ascended Armor to do Jumping Puzzles?

The progression on jumping puzzles is to make increasingly difficult or complex ones, not gate the content based on gear.

Warrior – Hellion of Heaven — Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

Actually, that doesn’t sound that bad. Would be a nice way to solo for the new gear.

Posted by: Skar Hand.5037

Skar Hand.5037

If you start adding gravity and anti-gravity elements, you risk worm-holes and rips in the space time continuum….nobody wants to see that.

I need to be able to dodge and leave a clone behind at work/home.

Nageth.5648

Well if we get rips in the space time continuum they’d be justified in having Worf pop out of one.

Posted by: Device.1357

Device.1357

This actually sounds like a very good idea, it would add a whole new dimension to Jumping Puzzles.

Dormedas.9524

Do people really want to overwrite the infusions they made in the mystic forge for new ones just so you can be able to do jumping puzzles? I feel like very few people would end up doing them because it requires you to re-gear yourself.

Nageth.5648

We don’t know how expensive infusions will be. It could be doable to swap them with some regularity.

Sundial.9015

Its also unknown if infusions act the same as upgrades, we may actually be able to remove / swap them out on demand.

Dormedas.9524

We don’t know how expensive infusions will be. It could be doable to swap them with some regularity.

You still have to overwrite the ones that you already have slotted. Even if they’re relatively cheap, I think this idea is dumb simply because gear has nothing to do with jumping puzzles now and it should stay that way.

Right now jumping puzzles are somewhat organic; you find one or show up to one and start jumping. You figure out the traps and little issues and overcome them. If people show up to one and try to do it and Gravity is screwing them up, there’s nothing to tell them “Hey go gear up before you do this, ya dingus.” Chances are people will just leave frustrated.

Sundial.9015

You still have to overwrite the ones that you already have slotted. Even if they’re relatively cheap, I think this idea is dumb simply because gear has nothing to do with jumping puzzles now and it should stay that way.

Right now jumping puzzles are somewhat organic; you find one or show up to one and start jumping. You figure out the traps and little issues and overcome them. If people show up to one and try to do it and Gravity is screwing them up, there’s nothing to tell them “Hey go gear up before you do this, ya dingus.” Chances are people will just leave frustrated.

Problem is there is no clear progression for a major part of GW2s content (jumping puzzles)

Maybe we can add a new slot just for jumping puzzles to solve this issue?

Posted by: Halandir.3609

Halandir.3609

Great idea.

This idea could also be used for adding some much needed progression in crafting. Think an infusion called “quality-control”: If your QC infusion level is to low you may (unknowingly) create lemon versions. These would break/backfire when you use/equip them.
This would even create extra content on the trader whenever someone buys crafted items. But hey – Even more progression: A trade infusion! Think: “Dealspotter”… At max. level dealspotter you would never risk buying a lemon.

Now we even have synergies… And the best part is that it would be a lot of content+progression while it would only “slightly” change the game.

Go go go Anet please.

Device.1357

Great idea.

This idea could also be used for adding some much needed progression in crafting. Think an infusion called “quality-control”: If your QC infusion level is to low you may (unknowingly) create lemon versions. These would break/backfire when you use/equip them.
This would even create extra content on the trader whenever someone buys crafted items. But hey – Even more progression: A trade infusion! Think: “Dealspotter”… At max. level dealspotter you would never risk buying a lemon.

Now we even have synergies… And the best part is that it would be a lot of content+progression while it would only “slightly” change the game.

Go go go Anet please.

This would make the crafting crowd AND the economic crowd very happy, I like it.

Nageth.5648

We also don’t have multi-spec ability so if you want to change play style you have to spend money to respec your skills and likely redo some of your gear (if not all of it). They’re money dumps, sure. But we don’t know the extent that they will be. We’ll likely face this problem when they add in a new dungeon with a new mechanic anyway so it isn’t like the jump puzzle version would suddenly make this a problem.

Dormedas.9524

Look at it this way. Gear has always been directly involved in doing combat. The infusions boost your combat capacities in some sense. Moving forward with new conditions that they want to introduce and infusions to deal with them, it is still intrinsically linked to COMBAT.

It doesn’t make sense to gear yourself for jumping puzzles or for crafting. It isn’t obvious and it differs from what already exists.

I think you have ideas for progression in other parts of the game and using the Infusion system as a way to bring that about. The problem is that this means people have to CHOOSE a way to specialize themselves. Right now, you can do crafting as efficiently as anyone else and then waypoint into Orr or go into a dungeon and be just as efficient there. Then when you’re done there, you can WP to a jumping puzzle and do well there. What your suggesting would be better served by OTHER and NEW systems, not the infusion one.

Posted by: Cancer.9065

Cancer.9065

I have another one!

I think we don’t have enough progression in mining, we always use the same tools for the same nodes… its so stale…. buuuut Anet could add infused mining picks!.

Lets say some nodes have a special condition called “heavy metal poisoning” so if you mine it with regular tools you get sick over time and if not cured you die. So if you want to mine this “special nodes” you need to infuse your mining pick with “chelation” in order to counter it.

I feel like we need clear progression on mining as I have no motivation to do them without it.

Cancer is also a Zodiac sign.

(edited by Cancer.9065)

Posted by: Ryan.6951

Ryan.6951

So me and my friend were talking on the IRC and he came up with a great idea. We both really liked Ascended Gear / Infusions for PvE so we though it should extend to other areas of the game.
-The Idea-
Add vertical progression / ascended gear infusions to cooking. Basically, have recipes give higher debuffs the harder they are and require you do do a bunch of easier dishes to get infusions for ascended cooking utensils so you can do harder dishes.
Lets call this defuff “Tasteless” and you need infused ascended cooking utensils in order to ignore it. The more you have, the more stacks of tasteless you ignore. If you don’t have any infusions to counter it and try to do a hard recipe your food gives you a green tinge and has reduced effectiveness.

I feel like we need clear progression on cooking recipes as I have no motivation to do them without it.

Posted by: Abra.5230

Abra.5230

So me and my friend were talking on the IRC and he came up with a great idea. We both really liked Ascended Gear / Infusions for PvE so we though it should extend to other areas of the game.
-The Idea-
Add vertical progression / ascended gear infusions to emotes. Basically, have emoting give higher debuffs the harder they are and require you do do a bunch of easier emotes to get infusions for ascended gear so you can do more complicated performances.
Lets call this defuff “clumsiness” and you need infused ascended stages and equipment in order to ignore it. The more you have, the more stacks of tasteless you ignore. If you don’t have any infusions to counter it and try to do a emote it just fizzles.

I feel like we need clear progression on emotes as I have no motivation to do them without it.

Posted by: Kromulous.4291

Kromulous.4291

Well, one area of the game that I feel is lacking character progression is the social interaction area. Namely, whenever I idle and just hang out/talk with people I’ve met in game. Simply put, there really isn’t any kind of feeling of progression or advancement of my character when I’m doing this. I believe Anet should implement an “Awkward Silence” condition that will slowly suppress all of your game messages unless you equip yourself with the appropriate infusion. That would do wonders for the lack of progression in the social aspect of the game, imo.

Posted by: Halandir.3609

Halandir.3609

-The Idea-
Add vertical progression / ascended gear infusions to cooking. Basically, have recipes give higher debuffs the harder they are and require you do do a bunch of easier dishes to get infusions for ascended cooking utensils so you can do harder dishes.
Lets call this defuff “Tasteless” and you need infused ascended cooking utensils in order to ignore it. The more you have, the more stacks of tasteless you ignore. If you don’t have any infusions to counter it and try to do a hard recipe your food gives you a green tinge and has reduced effectiveness.

I feel like we need clear progression on cooking recipes as I have no motivation to do them without it.

Absolutely love this. Adding visual effects seems very fitting.

Utensils (or rather the lack of) must be an oversight on Anets part. Definately a must.

Lower tier utensils should be craftable. Exotic and higher levels should be craftable only with items from the gemstore. About 5000 gems for legendary pot seems fair.

Device.1357

Look at it this way. Gear has always been directly involved in doing combat. The infusions boost your combat capacities in some sense. Moving forward with new conditions that they want to introduce and infusions to deal with them, it is still intrinsically linked to COMBAT.

Why do people who fight get priority? Not everyone is a mad person who only cares about killing. I’d like to take it easy and craft a little, but I want vertical progress while doing so, just like people who fight get.

It doesn’t make sense to gear yourself for jumping puzzles or for crafting. It isn’t obvious and it differs from what already exists.

Added ascended gear differs from what already exists too.

I think you have ideas for progression in other parts of the game and using the Infusion system as a way to bring that about. The problem is that this means people have to CHOOSE a way to specialize themselves. Right now, you can do crafting as efficiently as anyone else and then waypoint into Orr or go into a dungeon and be just as efficient there. Then when you’re done there, you can WP to a jumping puzzle and do well there. What your suggesting would be better served by OTHER and NEW systems, not the infusion one.

Let’s scrap the combat ascended gear and only make it useful for jumping puzzles. This way you can do jumping puzzles and then waypoint to Orr or go into WvW and be just as efficient there, while being more efficient at jumping puzzles in Orr or WvW.

Dormedas.9524

Why do people who fight get priority? Not everyone is a mad person who only cares about killing. I’d like to take it easy and craft a little, but I want vertical progress while doing so, just like people who fight get.

That’s why I advocate for NEW systems for people that do crafting or other things.

Added ascended gear differs from what already exists too.

Not so. It was explicitly stated that the infusion slots are Offensive or Defensive and the infusions are known to reduce the effects of Agony, a combat condition.

Posted by: Plague.5329

Plague.5329

Step back, everyone. I’ve got the best one:

WALKING.

Yes, for too long we have been burdened with the lack of a progression element for a skill we learned as soon as we began playing, that has gone nowhere. With the acquisition of new armor tokens to apply walking runes to your armor, you can now mitigate the brand new, skill-based buff of “Fatigue!” Fatigue slows down your character, to the point that they just give up and stop playing. By purchasing new armor with a new Fatigue slot, and equipping Fatigue gear to mitigate this new effect, you can boost your character’s overall speed to the point that it destroys this amazing new condition. We’ll be looking to add new levels of Fatigue in the future! The first levels only slow your characters, while the final levels may cause your game to just close itself entirely, or uninstall! And look for the level 80 severity of Fatigue, which causes you to forget the game even existed, while the developers have to find new jobs because they apparently don’t have any sense!

Posted by: Pochibella.8394

Pochibella.8394

Some good ideas here. I love the gravity and awkward silence debuffs! The infusion for gravity could be helium. With enough helium, you would just float to the top of the jumping puzzle. For awkward silence, what would the infusion be called? Personality? Outgoing? Extrovert?

Nageth.5648

Yes, gear is all about combat 24/7. That is why they have +magic find on it. Oh wait.

Posted by: Ryan.6951

Ryan.6951

Some good ideas here. I love the gravity and awkward silence debuffs! The infusion for gravity could be helium. With enough helium, you would just float to the top of the jumping puzzle. For awkward silence, what would the infusion be called? Personality? Outgoing? Extrovert?

Ummmmm… Icebreakers. Of course.

All the way from crummy whites and blues “say don’t I know you?”, “Is your dad a thief?”

All the way up to ascended “do you have a little asura in you?”

Posted by: Rion.8659

Rion.8659

Another possibility could be related to skimpiness of armour. Equiping armour which reveals more than a certain proportion of skin results in the debuff “Embarassment”, which has the visual sign of the player blushing (the brightness of the blush would be related to proportion of skin revealed). At higher levels of “Embarassment” the player would also run away from other players and hide.

To counter this, there would be the infusion “Self-confidence”, so that the higher the level of “Self-confidence” the skimpier the armour that could be worn without ill effect.

This could also mean that Anet could introduce ascended gear so skimpy that it would make TERA gear look staid and conservative by comparison. In order to be able to equip this armour at all, the player would neeed the highest level of infusion: “Total self-confidence”.

Posted by: Pochibella.8394

Pochibella.8394

Another possibility could be related to skimpiness of armour. Equiping armour which reveals more than a certain proportion of skin results in the debuff “Embarassment”, which has the visual sign of the player blushing (the brightness of the blush would be related to proportion of skin revealed). At higher levels of “Embarassment” the player would also run away from other players and hide.

To counter this, there would be the infusion “Self-confidence”, so that the higher the level of “Self-confidence” the skimpier the armour that could be worn without ill effect.

This could also mean that Anet could introduce ascended gear so skimpy that it would make TERA gear look staid and conservative by comparison. In order to be able to equip this armour at all, the player would neeed the highest level of infusion: “Total self-confidence”.

Only if my little Asura gets a little school girl outfit! People would grind for the infusions so their humans and norns could wear pasties and g-strings!

Posted by: Xpiher.5209

Xpiher.5209

Please tell me you are joking. The entire time ANET marketed this game they said no vertical gear progression i.e. gear treadmill. And now people want to add it into every aspect of the game. Are you kidding me!?

I realize some of you are joking. I’m not sure about the OP

Nageth.5648

The whole infusion mechanic is a bit silly but if they’re going to add it to the game, might as well make use of it.

Posted by: Jaid.3205

Jaid.3205

Absolutely love all these suggestions!

I have to admit, a riotous laugh with my morning coffee.

Time to clean up my keyboard.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

If you start adding gravity and anti-gravity elements, you risk worm-holes and rips in the space time continuum….nobody wants to see that.

I do

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

Dear OP,

…That was a sarcastic proposal – right? Right? (With these forums, you never know)

Polka will never die

Posted by: Ninth Requiem.3250

Ninth Requiem.3250

This might just be the best thread ever. Of all time.

Posted by: Cancer.9065

Cancer.9065

Of all the threads in the forums, this is the one I wish the Devs read. Nothing like a good parody to show the absurdity of the infusion concept.

Cancer is also a Zodiac sign.

Posted by: Abra.5230

Abra.5230

Of all the threads in the forums, this is the one I wish the Devs read. Nothing like a good parody to show the absurdity of the infusion concept.

We increasingly live in an age where satire is the only form of protest not censored. It’d be hilarious if it wasn’t so worrisome.