Jumping Puzzles - A U-Turn and a Thank You

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

It’s true that I dislike Jumping Puzzles and have not even attempted most of them. They are just not my thing and the clunky controls and terrible camera make things doubly worse. So I was annoyed to find JPs added to the list of dailies.

However, as someone pointed out in another thread, these dailies take mere seconds to complete once you arrive at the start because: mesmers. So thank you to all the benevolent mesmers out there. I’ll continue to “solve” JPs just as long as there is a LazyMan™ portal there!

JPs? Don’t like ’em
Daily JPs? Love ’em

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Best addition to dailies. I usually do them myself, since I love JPs.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

The controls take some getting used to, but it’s pretty nice once you do. A mouse is a very precise input device. And it all works very nicely with action camera, as SAB made me realize.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I love JPs. Thanks to their addition into the system, this is the first time in 2 years I even bother to do the daylies.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

DoctorDing.5890

The controls take some getting used to, but it’s pretty nice once you do. A mouse is a very precise input device. And it all works very nicely with action camera, as SAB made me realize.

The action camera did not really seem to help, particularly when my toon was pressed closely against a cliff wall or tree trunk. I would often end up falling whilst shuffling around on a narrow ledge purely to see if I could get a better view of the next jump. If I fail I want it to be because I didn’t make the jump rather than because I was trying to improve a dumb camera angle. I’ve played plenty of 2D and 3D platformers in my time and I’m no klutz but the GW2 controls/camera are just poor for that purpose imo.

Anyhow, as stated above I’ve now mastered the only control I need for
JPs: “F – Use Portal” ;p

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

OP: Thanks for the heads up! I’m like you, so will go looking the next time one comes up.

Posted by: Greyhound.2058

Greyhound.2058

I love jumping puzzles, I often do them just for fun (no, really!) – I’m not necessarily that good at them though lol… which is why I’ve been very glad of the occasional mesmer portal, especially when I’m in a hurry.

Remember: always tip your mesmer

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

Just don’t be surprised if that port takes you off a tall cliff somewhere far away.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Just be careful of Mesmers who use the teleport gun to get their portals in midair so players fall to their deaths.

Posted by: Siobhan.5273

Siobhan.5273

Just don’t be surprised if that port takes you off a tall cliff somewhere far away.

This. Fun with portals. Been happening since you could rename runes in UO for folks to recall off of themselves or open that mysterious gate to the bottom of Terathen Keep or that lovely place where the PK’s would be hiding to take you out with their arrows.

Unless I know who made that portal, I’m always cautious!

No news since October 28th 2014. Question asked straight up! 473 times. 647 days and thread locked..

Ayrilana.1396

I’m waiting for Obsidian Sanctum to be the daily JP. Just imagine it.

Ardid.7203

What a Beautiful Dream!

Hawks

Ayrilana.1396

What a Beautiful Dream!

Yeah. I actually thought I stopped that post from posting as I realized that it would not qualify for PvE. I can still dream though!

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

DoctorDing.5890

They should introduce a title and achievement for completing every jumping puzzle without ever jumping.

Ardid.7203

Something like “Are we there yet, mom?” Title?

Hawks

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

They should introduce a title and achievement for completing every jumping puzzle. without ever jumping.

First thing’s first.

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

The action camera did not really seem to help, particularly when my toon was pressed closely against a cliff wall or tree trunk. I would often end up falling whilst shuffling around on a narrow ledge purely to see if I could get a better view of the next jump. If I fail I want it to be because I didn’t make the jump rather than because I was trying to improve a dumb camera angle. I’ve played plenty of 2D and 3D platformers in my time and I’m no klutz but the GW2 controls/camera are just poor for that purpose imo.

idk, I haven’t had that problem, and I’ve done a lot of JPs, but the second best part of action camera is that it les you run full speed in any direction without changing your camera angle. The camera angle is fully in your control. except inside small rooms, since the camera obeys collision

DoctorDing.5890

Anyway, it seems my cunning plan has unravelled. Fancy having a JP where you have to collect stuff along the way! It’s almost as if they want us to play properly instead of just cheating our way to the end.

And it coincides with the activity NPC being broken so probably no daily reward for me today. My life is ruined! Ruined, I tell you!!!! (I’ll probably recover..)

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I don’t understand how you can complain about camera (With all the extra options for it) and control in this game as in my opinion it is one of the best there is, even if it where a platformer game. Be happy that you don’t have to do parkour moves to advance in a JP (I would have loved that).

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Waleed Agelmar.5614

Waleed Agelmar.5614

Anyway, it seems my cunning plan has unravelled. Fancy having a JP where you have to collect stuff along the way! It’s almost as if they want us to play properly instead of just cheating our way to the end.

And it coincides with the activity NPC being broken so probably no daily reward for me today. My life is ruined! Ruined, I tell you!!!! (I’ll probably recover..)

Yeah, today’s dailies are pretty bad because of that bug. I had to take a trip into WvW for a couple dailies I had left. I didn’t bother with the event one and avoided the JP since I have completed it not much time ago on my own (well, actually with the help of a youtube video, but even so it took quite long to do it and didn’t want to repeat the experience yet xD).

(edited by Waleed Agelmar.5614)

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Used to love jump puzzles but between ping and how hard they became i lost interest, especially with the rewards being crap.

Ardid.7203

Reward for JP should, no doubt, be improved. But I still love doing them. After all, I play for fun, not for rewards.

Hawks

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

It’s true that I dislike Jumping Puzzles and have not even attempted most of them. They are just not my thing and the clunky controls and terrible camera make things doubly worse. So I was annoyed to find JPs added to the list of dailies.

However, as someone pointed out in another thread, these dailies take mere seconds to complete once you arrive at the start because: mesmers. So thank you to all the benevolent mesmers out there. I’ll continue to “solve” JPs just as long as there is a LazyMan™ portal there!

JPs? Don’t like ’em
Daily JPs? Love ’em

Mesmer can’t help you at all with todays JP(scavenger’s chasm). Dulfy vid guide-TY!
And as you mentioned the daily activity, broken. That should have fixed as soon as the reports started rolling in.

(edited by Blude.6812)