Jumping mechanics stink

Jumping mechanics stink

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Heatsink.5794

Heatsink.5794

After hours of hair-pulling frustration, I finished the jumping puzzle Not So Secret. I went there to get the diving goggles achievement, but that’s pretty much impossible so I’ve decided not waste any more of my time on this broken crap.

Here’s the problem:
-Jumping is unreliable. Sometimes the jumps work and sometimes my character just falls straight down.
-Landing is ridiculously unreliable. My character’s feet slip off EVERYTHING FOR NO kitten REASON.

And about this particular jumping puzzle: it sucks. Fall and you’re either dead or lost all of your progress. Aggro mobs respawn within moments of killing them. My character was stuck in combat for no reason, and that further screws up jump distance.

Jumping mechanics stink

Posted by: zombyturtle.5980

zombyturtle.5980

Not so secret isnt that hard once you get used to it. There are worse jumping puzzles out there. Ive never had an issue with jumps failing on my PC. But on my partners ancient laptop ive had jumps fail due to his CPU not being sufficient. Perhaps thats your problem.

I think the wheels that push you forward are a little off, as they always seem to overshoot so I agree theres something strange there, but its an easy workaround to swap weapons mid jump to consistently land correctly.

Jumping mechanics stink

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

As someone who did every JP in the game and cleared all stages of SAB Tribulation mode in both worlds n have all the green skins and half the yellow ones I enjoy the Jumping Mechanics. :v They do have some weird edge standing positions though where you can land/walk to the point where you’re partially hovering but you just have to get used to their expectations as it’s still always the same. Maybe u could upload a short video or something if it seems weirder than normal.

I’ll agree that being stuck in combat is definitely annoying as some jumps are near impossible that way… would be nice if it ended after a period of not getting hit regardless of how close they.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Jumping mechanics stink

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Logging off and back on again is sometimes the only way to get rid of combat mode and its speed decrease in that puzzle, unless you want to jump back down to kill the problematic enemy and lose all progress you made in the puzzle.

Jumping mechanics stink

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Tip for those jumping puzzles: use a mesmer, or even better, a necromancer character

Jumping mechanics stink

Posted by: SmirkDog.3160

SmirkDog.3160

I went there to do the diving goggles thing for the achievement, and was fully determined to do it myself, made it maybe half away and some kind soul fell from the heavens and ported me up, and explained to me how to do the diving goggles (since it can definitely fail).

Basically what I’m saying is, get someone else to do it for you.

Jumping mechanics stink

Doggie.3184

Tip for those jumping puzzles: use a mesmer, or even better, a necromancer character

Why Necro?

Also Daredevil’s vault can reinforce safety on jumps that aren’t too high.

Jumping mechanics stink

maddoctor.2738

Why Necro?

This makes JPs much easier as a necromancer: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spectral_Walk

It has a lower cooldown than Portal AND it can protect you from many missed jumps that Portal cannot (if the fall leads to your death)

Jumping mechanics stink

Doggie.3184

Why Necro?

This makes JPs much easier as a necromancer: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spectral_Walk

It has a lower cooldown than Portal AND it can protect you from many missed jumps that Portal cannot (if the fall leads to your death)

Ah, I thought they broke stuff like that a long time ago along when they went crazy with “no valid path to target”

Jumping mechanics stink

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

Why Necro?

Ah, I thought they broke stuff like that a long time ago along when they went crazy with “no valid path to target”

No, that’s the Thief mostly

Portal users don’t have issues ( thief has also problems with the teleport trap ).

Jumping mechanics stink

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Not So Secret is a pain. It and Draconis Mons are probably the two worse puzzles in the game, and both of them are from problems at the beginning of the puzzle.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Jumping mechanics stink

Posted by: Myrdreth.6829

Myrdreth.6829

I went there to do the diving goggles thing for the achievement, and was fully determined to do it myself, made it maybe half away and some kind soul fell from the heavens and ported me up, and explained to me how to do the diving goggles (since it can definitely fail).

Basically what I’m saying is, get someone else to do it for you.

I just found a kind soul who helped me. It took maybe 1 minute for me to do the jump with the diving goggles right. I am so glad someone helped me. When I tried to do it alone it was very frustrating.

Jumping mechanics stink

maddoctor.2738

Not So Secret is a pain. It and Draconis Mons are probably the two worse puzzles in the game, and both of them are from problems at the beginning of the puzzle.

I disagree. Draconis Mons is an easy JP and I don’t remember it having any issues at the beginning. The one that is hard (and really hard at the beginning) is the one in Ember Bay

Jumping mechanics stink

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Regarding “Not So Secret”, and especially the Diving Googles:

The main problem is that all the jump pad mechanics are unreliable. I’ve managed and completed this JP, and can do the JP fairly reliably by now. I’ve done the Diving Googles as well, but certainly not reliably.

And every time I play it, all the different jump pad mechanics behave slightly different depending on lots of different factors. The spinning wheels mostly trigger on what direction you’re looking in. But the vertical jump pads often require you to time jumps perfectly as they trigger, and small changes in direction makes large differences in jump heights and directions. Which makes the last part of the Diving Googles into a death trap.

Just making the jump pads more reliable would make the entire thing much less frustrating, while still focusing on the actual jumping puzzle part, and not just the “random splat” part.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

Jumping mechanics stink

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

Just making the jump pads more reliable would make the entire thing much less frustrating, while still focusing on the actual jumping puzzle part, and not just the “random splat” part.

Would be nicer checkpoints in every jp.

Jumping mechanics stink

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I actually like their jumping mechanic, compared to other MMOs I’ve played. I think there are some puzzles that are too hard for me to do, but that’s more about my personal skill than the mechanic itself. I don’t have the extra burden of an under performing computer to contend with, thankfully.

Jumping mechanics stink

Posted by: blambidy.3216

blambidy.3216

If you played eso. Or ffxiv. Or played pretty much every game. Gw2 jumping is probably one of the top at best jumping machanics. Your probably being spoiled with gw2s jumping. You should try out other games to compare because other game are horrible. I mean struggle for timing the jump in the air. The struggle to jump over a rock. Trust me gw2 got that on lock. That’s why gw2 is the only MMO that has jumping puzzles. Cause others couldn’t handle how bad their jumping is.

Jumping mechanics stink

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I disagree. Draconis Mons is an easy JP and I don’t remember it having any issues at the beginning. The one that is hard (and really hard at the beginning) is the one in Ember Bay

Oh, you’re right, I was confusing Ember Bay and Draconis Mon.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Jumping mechanics stink

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Why Necro?

It’s true. I did Not So Secret on my necromancer long ago. Used Spectral Walk quite a bit. I got the diving achievement on the second attempt.

If my old, shakey, fumbling fingers can do it, so can yours.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Jumping mechanics stink

Posted by: Sojourner.4621

Sojourner.4621

ToR had a form of jumping puzzles in some of its datacron hunts… and my god… does jumping in that game suck. Jumping in GW2 is miles ahead of what is available in every other MMO, and actually almost as precise as many 3D platformers as well. What is not always the best is the platforms themselves and their collision detection, but that is not the fault of the actual jumping which has pretty precise control.

Jumping mechanics stink

Posted by: STINKFISH.8791

STINKFISH.8791

After getting several characters to level 80, I decided to start other in game content. Dungeons and Fractals.

Very disappointing to see jumping puzzles (part of the game I hate) forced on players and put into the above main area’s of group pve.

Why do I hate jumping puzzles ?

An mmorpg for me is about escaping from real life into a world where you can design a character to have a specific skill sets to deal with challenges, and have fun being a bit special in group play.

Jumping puzzles strip away 99% the investment of time and development a gamer has put into making a character —> and turns GW2 into a vanilla character, difficult Mario Bros fest…

Please take jumping puzzles out of dungeons/fractals, core game areas – and keep them as special map challenges for the special people that enjoy them.

Jumping mechanics stink

Posted by: Pino.5209

Pino.5209

Why do you think most ppl just take shortcut when it comes to jp? whether it’s for dailies or chivos. Yes, your thread title is spot on.
Hey look, mesmer’s portal …. click click.

(edited by Pino.5209)

Jumping mechanics stink

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Why Necro?

40 sec CD on spectral walk traited, compared to mesmer’s ability to double portal with mimic, or triple portal with CS. If you suspect you’ll be making more than 1 failed attempt at a particular spot in the puzzle, then chrono is a better choice than necro if you can get your glider out to avoid dying on the way down.

As to not so secret itself. I have found the jump pads fairly unreliable on my laptop, so I just avoid the puzzle.

Jumping mechanics stink

Posted by: MariszS.1569

MariszS.1569

Oh I remember that one. I’ve spend 3 days trying to do this, on a necro. That is not an exaggeration. For 3 days I’ve tried like 10 hours a day, I was loosing my mind. And then it finally happaned. No other jumping puzzle in GW2 wrecked me like this :P

But when it comes to the jumping mechanic itself, I consider it to be on par with the ones you can find in platformers, and I play them a lot. It’s responsive and reliable. Usually when I mess up jumps it’s because of my mistake or some Random Guy with Backpack of Ludicrous Shininess and Sparkles appearing out of nowhere.

If you ever wanted to find a game, in this case a mmo, where jumping mechanic is utterly broken, it’s star wars the old republic – don’t even get me started on that. And if you’re in really masochistic mood, try playing old Lion King game. It’s jumping mechanic isn’t broken. It is just dead.
Happy jumping!

(edited by MariszS.1569)

Jumping mechanics stink

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

Ah, Not so Secret. I’ve only ever completed this one on my mesmer. My mesmer is specialized for JPs, so I’ve got 75% fall damage reduction. I can lazily jump down from the diving goggles to the airship in one jump without dying. As for the mobs: Just send out a clone to prevent the mob vom healing and kill the mob with ranged attacks. Or kill the mob melee and port back up.

As for jumping itself: GW2 jumping is pretty reliable when compared to other games. You can walk on all surfaces that have a <45° angle. Any surface with a >45° angle will have you slide off. When you’re standing on an edge between two surfaces, the angle of that edge counts.

The footing area (the area you can use to stand on the tip of a needle without falling off) seems to be about as big as the feet of a human character when standing still. If you move this footing area off the needle, you will slide a bit before falling straight down. This is often perceived as “slipping off”. You actually missed the jump by a hair’s breadth and instead of falling straight down, the game has you slide a bit first, so your character doesn’t end up halfway in a wall.

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Jumping mechanics stink

Posted by: SaraGreen.2345

SaraGreen.2345

If you want to easily complete jumping puzzles go asura.

Doing jumping puzzles on a char or nord feels almost impossible.

Jumping mechanics stink

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

My mesmer is a rather bulky, near max-sized charr. I like her, but when it comes to jumping puzzles I sometimes curse her too. :p

Camera issues and related motion sickness are definitely so much worse on big characters.

Jumping mechanics stink

Posted by: Kronos.2560

Kronos.2560

My mesmer is a rather bulky, near max-sized charr. I like her, but when it comes to jumping puzzles I sometimes curse her too. :p

Camera issues and related motion sickness are definitely so much worse on big characters.

All i have to say to that is https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Endless_Miniature_Tonic. Best invention ever for jump puzzles with char, norn etc.