Jumping puzzles

Jumping puzzles

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LostBalloon.6423

LostBalloon.6423

So i dont know if this is the proper sub-forum for this, but why doesn’t anet make jumping puzzles chests reset like everything else in this game, at the same time as daily reset…
Nothing more annoying then doing the jump to find an open chest that did not yet reset.

Jumping puzzles

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

AFAIK they do reset at the same time. Mine seem to.

Jumping puzzles

LostBalloon.6423

nope, its on a 24h clock, unless they ninja patched it

Jumping puzzles

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’ll have to check, but it’s not been my experience.

Jumping puzzles

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Mine seem to be about reset. The only exception seems to be if you open one in the 6 hours before reset and then visit it again at reset. It may not be available till that much time has past. For example, if you open one 4 hours before reset it might be 2 hours after reset (6 hours). If you open one an hour before reset it might be 5 hours after reset (again 6 hours).

Jumping puzzles

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Farms are the same way, drives me nuts, since there is already a perfectly good timer in the game.

If for whatever reason, it’s too difficult to hook those types of things into that daily reset timer, I’d like to see them change farms and chests to 20 hours. Other games have done this, it’s a ‘soft’ 24 where it takes into consideration that you might play anywhere from 2.5-3.5 hours per night, and if you happen to do something on a timer at the ‘end’ of that play period, you aren’t forced to do it at the very end of the play session in a subsequent period, or skip it altogether. At 20 hours, it would be available to you at the beginning of your next play period, regardless of when you did it during your last play period, assuming you play for 3 hours a play period, give or take, and roughly at the same time every day (say, after dinner).

Jumping puzzles

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

I can confirm that jumping puzzle chests reset with the dailies, not on their own 24hour clock.

I normally opened them every morning before work, but whenever I’ve played in the evenings after reset they are available to be opened again, even though I opened them only ~12 hours before.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Jumping puzzles

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Most of the chests reset at daily reset but some of them are on 24 hours.

Jumping puzzles

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

Mine seem to be about reset. The only exception seems to be if you open one in the 6 hours before reset and then visit it again at reset. It may not be available till that much time has past. For example, if you open one 4 hours before reset it might be 2 hours after reset (6 hours). If you open one an hour before reset it might be 5 hours after reset (again 6 hours).

Ah. This explains it.

I often leave any of my level 80’s that I haven’t been playing at jumping puzzle chests. I’ve only got 2 currently stationed there. Last night right after reset the first chest I tried was already opened. The second one I didn’t attempt right away but was able to open. I didn’t log on for yesterday’s dailies until the afternoon so 6 hours does seem about right. Just checked again today and was able to get the first chest now. This has happened in the past occasionally because I don’t always log in at the same time of day.

Jumping puzzles

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Not to call you out, but what proof do you have for this statement? If you have a specific chest you KNOW does this, I’ll be happy to test it. Also, note that there is a minimum timer on ALL resource nodes and chests. You cannot open a chest 5 min before daily reset and then open it again right after. I believe that timer is either 8 hours or 12 hours for JP chests (never tested directly) and you COULD be correct that different chests have different min timers (like T6 nodes have much longer min timers than other resource nodes).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Jumping puzzles

notebene.3190

Not to call you out, but what proof do you have for this statement? If you have a specific chest you KNOW does this, I’ll be happy to test it. Also, note that there is a minimum timer on ALL resource nodes and chests. You cannot open a chest 5 min before daily reset and then open it again right after. I believe that timer is either 8 hours or 12 hours for JP chests (never tested directly) and you COULD be correct that different chests have different min timers (like T6 nodes have much longer min timers than other resource nodes).

I’ll…reverse (double secret?)…not…call you out?

When did they say they changed it? Developer thread, patch note, live stream? Granted, they don’t talk to us at all, but that is another story.

It always used to be this way. Reset for me is 5PM. This time of year, I’m on California time. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone to the chest at the puzzle in Frostgorge at, maybe, 8 am-ish, only to go there the next day a little earlier (6 am-ish) and it’s not ready.

Or back when I used to be more active in WvW (year ago?) and you’d go to a chest in one of those puzzles and if you went there even 5 minutes before, it wasn’t ready. But you could wait, and all the sudden, it was ready.

Recently? Since the big feature patch? Can’t say if it’s happened to me for sure. I ‘feel’ like sometime in the past few months I’ve gotten hit with a ‘gotcha!’ chest (oh yeah, I was here at yada yada time yesterday), but can’t say for sure.

I guess I could test it myself at a few chests. Do I need screen shots with the clock in the corner? I should throw a farm in for laughs and giggles, maybe the lettuce farm in Queensdale?

Jumping puzzles

LostBalloon.6423

Ah. This explains it.

I often leave any of my level 80’s that I haven’t been playing at jumping puzzle chests. I’ve only got 2 currently stationed there. Last night right after reset the first chest I tried was already opened. The second one I didn’t attempt right away but was able to open. I didn’t log on for yesterday’s dailies until the afternoon so 6 hours does seem about right. Just checked again today and was able to get the first chest now. This has happened in the past occasionally because I don’t always log in at the same time of day.

interesting, good to know

Jumping puzzles

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

It always seemed to be on server reset, as far as I could tell. But, I haven’t checked to make sure, lately.

Also, note that there is a minimum timer on ALL resource nodes and chests. You cannot open a chest 5 min before daily reset and then open it again right after.

Really? Why would ANet even care to do this? Either way, you can’t open the same chest more than once every 24 hours.

Jumping puzzles

Lazuli.2098

It always seemed to be on server reset, as far as I could tell. But, I haven’t checked to make sure, lately.

Either way, you can’t open the same chest more than once every 24 hours.

I do regularly. Most are reset when the servers are reset. Some have some other reset timer, but not as long as 24 hours. My thief opened Troll’s End yesterday afternoon, it didn’t get reset at server reset last night, but he opened it this morning.

Edit: Of course it could have been some kind of glitch.

Jumping puzzles

Brother Grimm.5176

Note that my comment was meant to challenge your claim that some of them were 24 hour resets not Daily. Sorry for the confusion. Again, if you KNOW of a specific chest that is 24 hour reset ONLY, please post it here and I’ll test (as long as it’s not some obsure hard as hell JP I never do because a missed jump means starting all over (like say the Aetherblade one)).

Jumping puzzles

Posted by: davadude.6017

davadude.6017

I’ve never noticed this... mine seem to reset with the dailies.

davadude – Ego Sum Promptus

Jumping puzzles

notebene.3190

Note that my comment was meant to challenge your claim that some of them were 24 hour resets not Daily. Sorry for the confusion. Again, if you KNOW of a specific chest that is 24 hour reset ONLY, please post it here and I’ll test (as long as it’s not some obsure hard as hell JP I never do because a missed jump means starting all over (like say the Aetherblade one)).

I tried the Frostgorge one, and I’ll try to remember to look at it before the 24 hours are up tomorrow morning and I’ll see where it’s at.

Edit: Actually, what I should do is check it tonight after the reset first, then again in the morning shortly before the 24 hours is up, and then after 24 hours, if any of the follow up is necessary.

And I know it wasn’t a challenge, just having some stupid fun with words.

Jumping puzzles

notebene.3190

Ok, so at roughly 8:24 am, I did the Frostgorge puzzle. I’ll have to look at the SS to double check the time. I’m here at 6:27 pm, and it’s still open. It has not reset. Daily reset was at 5 pm my time.

I’ll check tomorrow morning ‘before’ 8:24 am to see if it has reset. If it has not, I’ll check again shortly after to see if it’s a true 24.

Forgot to do the farm test, I’ll try to remember that tomorrow.

Jumping puzzles

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

It’s 24 hours after YOU LAST DID IT that you can tag the JP chest.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Jumping puzzles

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

Most are reset when the servers are reset. Some have some other reset timer, but not as long as 24 hours. My thief opened Troll’s End yesterday afternoon, it didn’t get reset at server reset last night, but he opened it this morning.

The reset on the chest doesn’t start when you opened it. It has a set time that it resets, whether you opened it three hours ago or three minutes ago. If you opened the chest in the afternoon, then opened it again the next morning, it does not mean the chest’s reset is less than 24 hours — it means that the chest’s reset occured at some point between the times when you attempted to open it.

If the chests were reset once per day, when the actual days changed over, then you could open it at 11:59pm on Monday, and then again at 12:01am on Tuesday. It does not mean you can open it more than once a day.

(edited by Fyrebrand.4859)

Jumping puzzles

notebene.3190

That’s what I believe as well, but thought I’d offer to do it for someone that didn’t believe that.

However, it might be shorter, like a ‘soft’ 24 of something less now, like 20?

It’s 6 am. I did the Frostgorge puzzle at 8:34 am yesterday, and it is available to do now.

So doesn’t reset with the dailies, as they never have, and apparently haven’t changed. But, ‘might’ be on a ‘soft’ 24 now?

Now, I just might have to try the 20 hour test next.

Jumping puzzles

notebene.3190

Most are reset when the servers are reset. Some have some other reset timer, but not as long as 24 hours. My thief opened Troll’s End yesterday afternoon, it didn’t get reset at server reset last night, but he opened it this morning.

The reset on the chest doesn’t start when you opened it. It has a set time that it resets, whether you opened it three hours ago or three minutes ago. If you opened the chest in the afternoon, then opened it again the next morning, it does not mean the chest’s reset is less than 24 hours — it means that the chest’s reset occured at some point between the times when you attempted to open it.

If the chests were reset once per day, when the actual days changed over, then you could open it at 11:59pm on Monday, and then again at 12:01am on Tuesday. It does not mean you can open it more than once a day.

Now that’s an interesting thought. Do they reset on a timer that is ‘not’ the same as the quest roll over (which I already tested at around 6:30 pm last night, and the chest that I had opened at 8:34 am wasn’t ready).

But even that would be relatively new, because I distinctly remember having a character logged out at the old EB puzzle a year plus ago, and if I logged in before a true 24 hours had passed from when I actually opened it, it wouldn’t be ready.

Hmm, so if it’s true and there’s a set reset time, then my 20 hour test wouldn’t tell me much, unless I did something ‘shorter’ and it wasn’t rest. If it was reset at, say 18 hours, it might be an indication there is a set time.

The irony being, of course, that for something as benign as this (and many other things) they could just tell us, officially, how little things like this work (like the “you must be in the top ‘n’ people to touch a mob, lest you will get no loot, even if you do the required damage”, which is a nasty one they won’t cop to), then this would all be moot.

But I’m bored, so I’ll keep thinking of ways to test.

If you are a ‘set time’ believer and think you know what time that is (it’s not the daily reset, sorry), let me know. Midnight is a bit rough for me, but I could try it.

Jumping puzzles

Brother Grimm.5176

I’m pretty sure I have opened Frostgorge early in the morning (6AM) and then late that same night (10PM, well after my reset of 7PM) closer to 12 hours than 24. It could have changed and I may be mistaken. Will test this weekend.

I still contend it is some combination of a timer AND the daily reset (but that just may be my perception and some incorrect information I heard in the past).

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Jumping puzzles

Posted by: Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Automated changes

Daily

00:00 UTC (19:00 UTC-5) — Resets daily achievements; certain objects respawn: chests (e.g. from Jumping Puzzles, except for those in World versus World), and event-related interactive objects (Carving Pumpkin, Magic Snow).

This excerpt from the wiki is the way I have always experienced chest behavior. There have been many times that I have done the Lion’s Arch JPs twice within 12 hours. I have never, that I recall, tried it within 6 hours of each attempt though, so I’m not trying to call anyone a liar. Those WvW JP chests definitely are on a true (or very close) 24hr timer.

Jumping puzzles

notebene.3190

Automated changes

Daily

00:00 UTC (19:00 UTC-5) — Resets daily achievements; certain objects respawn: chests (e.g. from Jumping Puzzles, except for those in World versus World), and event-related interactive objects (Carving Pumpkin, Magic Snow).

This excerpt from the wiki is the way I have always experienced chest behavior. There have been many times that I have done the Lion’s Arch JPs twice within 12 hours. I have never, that I recall, tried it within 6 hours of each attempt though, so I’m not trying to call anyone a liar. Those WvW JP chests definitely are on a true (or very close) 24hr timer.

But then that’s incorrect with respect to what I experienced yesterday, last night, and this morning.

My daily reset time is 5 pm.
At 8:34 am, I opened a chest.
At 6:30 pm, it was not available (1.5 hours after daily reset).
At 6 am the next morning, it was available.

I’m not sure who updated that wiki entry, but I don’t think that the wiki is maintained by them anyways. I recall changing a wiki page once to add an extra column of information (that I found useful) to a table, and it was changed back with a “thank you very much, but you aren’t in the double-secret year book club, so don’t bother” type response.

Happy to try that Frostgorge test again and provide any screen shots as proof or whatever. They do not reset when the dailies do.

Jumping puzzles

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

The Frostgorge chest was the first one I thought of that did this when I started reading this thread. I’ve had it happen with the Fireheart chest as well.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Jumping puzzles

Lazuli.2098

My experiment this evening refutes this. Reset is 8 PM here on EDT. At 7:15 PM I did the Urmaug’s Secret JP with one of my characters and opened the chest. Reset happened at 8 PM. Went to the chest again at 9:15 PM and I was able to open it again. So it doesn’t require you to wait 24 hours.