Jumping puzzles should give at least a rare

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Similar to world bosses. I mean they’re difficult content for most people, on a daily timer so you can’t just farm them over and over, and here you are giving out greens and blues for them. I’d say the difficulty is as much as boss meta events probably more considering you can’t just hammer 1 while afk during a JP.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Similar to world bosses. I mean they’re difficult content for most people, on a daily timer so you can’t just farm them over and over, and here you are giving out greens and blues for them. I’d say the difficulty is as much as boss meta events probably more considering you can’t just hammer 1 while afk during a JP.

I’ve seen people claim that they park characters at the end of JPs just to claim rewards daily. Not sure that is more difficult than auto-attacking during a meta event.

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Hackers would teleport hack to the end of the jumping puzzle each day to get multiple rates and crash the ectoplasm market.

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

If you are good at them you can run through like 12 of the short ones in under 30 minutes. Its not as much about difficulty as it is about time

The complicated ones (like the new one) this would work for since they can take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour, so it would be nice to see some rewards for those.

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

As a hater of all the jumpy jumpy in this game I expect no less than a legendary.

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

It is too bad that this new JP is so incredibly long and yet you get nothing special at the end. But it is true that people park their characters at the end to loot the chest every day so they can’t really award something great in the chest.

However, I do think that some JP which are especially long or difficult could be an achievement and the achievement could award something nice the first time you complete it.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I could park 8 or 9 of my characters at different chests and garner that many RAREs a day for absolutely NO effort.

If there was some method for the game to check that you actually DID the JP (there actually IS as Daily JP checks this) to give the RARE, then I have no problem with it.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

I’ve seen people claim that they park characters at the end of JPs just to claim rewards daily. Not sure that is more difficult than auto-attacking during a meta event.

I have 11 characters parked at jumping puzzle chests, and one of them is parked at the timberline falls JP where it is a really short walk between 2 jump puzzle chests after you get to the vista.

I get my 2 emp shards plus blues/greens/map pieces worth 2silver every day (i also have lvl 21 characters who can get silver doubloons from the chests), and I don’t have to worry about the grindy jump puzzle monthly. It’s glorious.

If I need to sell stuff, Pvp and WvW have merchants/bank/crafting.

I opened a BL chest and got a teleport stone yesterday. Is anybody parked at the Not so Secret Aetherblade chest? b/c I love to get a chance at sprockets too.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I have 11 characters parked at jumping puzzle chests, and one of them is parked at the timberline falls JP where it is a really short walk between 2 jump puzzle chests after you get to the vista.

I get my 2 emp shards plus blues/greens/map pieces worth 2silver every day (i also have lvl 21 characters who can get silver doubloons from the chests), and I don’t have to worry about the grindy jump puzzle monthly. It’s glorious.

If I need to sell stuff, Pvp and WvW have merchants/bank/crafting.

I opened a BL chest and got a teleport stone yesterday. Is anybody parked at the Not so Secret Aetherblade chest? b/c I love to get a chance at sprockets too.

I have a mesmer parked at the Not So Secret.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

They just need to add Milestones (just like the new JP) to disallow parking characters. Keep the rewards as they are (for those who park) and add increased rewards for those who collect all the milestones. Milestones should be set in a way that prevents getting the end reward with a single portal (start – to chest) and instead require the players to do the largest part of the JP. Otherwise increased JP rewards won’t make any sense

Posted by: IllegalChocolate.6938

IllegalChocolate.6938

Hackers would teleport hack to the end of the jumping puzzle each day to get multiple rates and crash the ectoplasm market.

I actually wouldn’t mind this at all

ectoplasm for 3 silver each? I’ll buy 9000 stacks

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

For ordinary JPs? No, for the reasons pointed out. For an instanced, challenging JP (SAB or similar content)? Sure.

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

I’ve gotten rares and occasionally an exotic out of these things.

I’d say they’re too easy to guarantee a rare from, but we have that whole boss train going….

Devildoc.6721

I could park 8 or 9 of my characters at different chests and garner that many RAREs a day for absolutely NO effort.

If there was some method for the game to check that you actually DID the JP (there actually IS as Daily JP checks this) to give the RARE, then I have no problem with it.

Yes, it would need to check at the start of the puzzle and end of the puzzle

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

Yep… It’d be nice.. a guaranteed rare with a chance at an exotic.. just like World Bosses… with greater weight given to more difficult jumping puzzles.. and once again, as someone said, with checks along the way so you can’t just park your characters at the end.

They sort of did this with the new jumping puzzle, having checks along the way… now if they could just get the rewards right and then implement the same thing with the rest of the jumping puzzles…. and then make more… a man can dream.

Slow down and smell the pixels.

Devildoc.6721

Yep… It’d be nice.. a guaranteed rare with a chance at an exotic.. just like World Bosses… with greater weight given to more difficult jumping puzzles.. and once again, as someone said, with checks along the way so you can’t just park your characters at the end.

They sort of did this with the new jumping puzzle, having checks along the way… now if they could just get the rewards right and then implement the same thing with the rest of the jumping puzzles…. and then make more… a man can dream.

Yeah I thought of this as I was doing the new jumping puzzle and realizing that they put all this effort into this puzzle for something that people will only do once because the reward isn’t really worth it after that first time.

Posted by: Azala Yar.7693

Azala Yar.7693

Maybe those chests should be on a separate timer, one that resets 7 days from when a character loots it.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

i think a guaranteed rare is too much for something you can do once (or get ported once) and camp for a daily reward. at least with world bosses you have to complete the entire event each day (even if its just pushing 1 in a zerg youre still gated by spawn timers and needing credit and the zergs dps).

the silverwastes jp indeed does have a guaranteed rare+, but that takes minimum ~10 minutes to complete, cant be easily ported, cant be parked. so its a lot more similar to a world boss in those ways, in that someone else (or the act of parking) cant minimize the time involved to mere loading screen times.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

I think this is a bad idea. I already have more than 10 characters parked at jumping puzzles because of the excellent rewards. The extra materials and a chance for a rare/exotic/precursor is enough for me to put the characters I don’t use/not currently using up at the chest.

Being guaranteed multiple ectos a day would be terrible for the economy. It would also bring up lots of “pay to win” arguments. I’m not sure about the exact stats for ecto salvaging, but from what I estimate it’s a little over 1 ecto for each level 68+ rare using a mystic/master salavage kit. So in this market I could get somewhere between 3-4g every day in very little time and effort.

This would certainly drop the price of rares and ectos and possibly increase the kind of inflation we’ve already seen in game (not certain about this as I’m no economist).

Snip

They just need to add Milestones (just like the new JP) to disallow parking characters. Keep the rewards as they are (for those who park) and add increased rewards for those who collect all the milestones. Milestones should be set in a way that prevents getting the end reward with a single portal (start – to chest) and instead require the players to do the largest part of the JP. Otherwise increased JP rewards won’t make any sense

I’m not sure how I feel about this solution. It seems like a reasonable idea- if you wanted the quick achievements you could just get a portal, if you want rewards you do the whole JP. I think increasing JP rewards would be a bad move though- it is easy to run through a lot of them in a short amount of time with multiple characters. In my head I see hundreds of people doing JPs to farm rewards, and I would get frustrated in the cramped environment (probably stuck behind a huge norn in swirly robes).

If there were such good rewards, this would need to be once-a-day-per-account type reward, like world boss chests. Get the bonus (for completing milestones) once a day for your account, but complete the JP again on a different char and just get the chest reward at the end. This would also mean that it’s as fair as it is now and people with a lot of characters aren’t massively benefitting from it

Devildoc.6721

“Excellent rewards” wait what? a green, a blue, 2-4 emp fragments, and some useless trash seal are considered “excellent rewards”?

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

“Excellent rewards” wait what? a green, a blue, 2-4 emp fragments, and some useless trash seal are considered “excellent rewards”?

As I said… I have 10+ characters parked up at Under New Management, so I get all of these rewards 10 fold. I open all of these chests within 5 minutes and get all of that loot. Yes. Excellent rewards- for something that is farmable and requires very little effort.

I could create more level 20’s to park up there for a good chance of silver doubloons.

About a year ago for a number of months, I seem to remember averaging a rare across 6 characters every 1-2 days. I don’t seem to get rares as frequently anymore, but I’m not sure if this is an actual JP chest nerf or cognitive bias… either way I feel that the current rewards or purposeful nerf of the rewards both back up my point rather well in the sense that A ) the rewards are still pretty good or, B ) they were so good that Anet decided to nerf them.

You can’t really make the JP rewards any better without making them OP in relation to the other rewards in game.

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

Jumping puzzles should be outlawed. They make my neck hurt.

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Posted by: Dramen Maidria.1034

Dramen Maidria.1034

so the 12 alts I have parked at JPs trying to get my last two map pieces get a guaranteed rare each? sure

Dramen Maidria
Knights of ARES, Dragonbrand
Good times, good memories

Posted by: Dante.8456

Dante.8456

If you are good at them you can run through like 12 of the short ones in under 30 minutes. Its not as much about difficulty as it is about time

The complicated ones (like the new one) this would work for since they can take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour, so it would be nice to see some rewards for those.

Either I’m playing a different game or you are one talented player. 12 JP in < 30mins? Thats basically 2 minutes a puzzle? That seems pretty darn quick – maybe i just take my time idn

Desolation EU
Guardian / WvW Enthusiast

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Ugh, so unimaginative, people. If you design your gameplay around the fear of hacked/exploited without considering solutions, you may as not reward people for anything. Oh wait, that’s exactly what the loot system looks like now! When a possible suggestion has problems, don’t just dismiss it.

Make it so that the first 3 jumping puzzles (exclude easy ones*) offer a chest with a rare. This applies per account so you cannot park like 10 characters at JPs hoping to get 10 rewards.

Or, we could cause characters to be ejected from the end of jumping puzzles at reset.

In b4 “I have 10 accounts”.

Wow, did the forum just censor “[the opposite of soft] one”

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Are the jumping puzzle chests different in from the ones set a ground level? I think they are the same. I have my chars parked in Skrittsburgh. There are 2 chests right behind the Skritt King’s throne, a low level area that takes little effort to get there. If these are the same then I would be getting 18 rares a day, just for doing that. There are also a number of chests in the starter zones, at least 7 in Queensdale. Three of those are in a very easy jumping puzzle. There is also that easy jumping puzzle in Southsun by the portal.

If these are the same chests, to stop people farming rares from them ANet would need to redo the jumping puzzle chests and make them their own different class. They would also need to make the ones in the easy jumping puzzles a different class from the hard puzzles. Whether or not to put rares in chests is not an easy decision when you start thinking about it as there are chests in so many different places.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

To OP :

Imagine this for a minute : in about 15 minutes, I can complete 5 jumping puzzles (Urmaug, under new management, and 3 puzzles in caledon forest) and you can repeat the process for each toon you have .

I have 6 toons on my account, this means that in about and hour and a half I can collect no less than 30 rare items. As a comparison, following the world boss train yields you on average 10 rare items over the same period of time. In fact, it’s almost as profitable as running AC P3 in the non-zerk way, except that it’s once per character instead of once per account.

Are you now reconsidering your suggestion ? ’Cause it seems to be quite harsh as a measure. I agree to buff JP chests but not this much.

Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

I think a rare is a little to much, although I do think the reward tables need to be reworked.

The current drops from a “Magnificent chest”:

2 Masterwork or better pieces of equipment
Empyreal Fragments

2 from the following:
Universal upgrade
Crafting material

First of all we should either be rid of, or reduce the universal upgrades to 1 guaranteed. Allow for 2 crafting matierals, and give us 4 Masterwork or greater WHILE having magic find affect the drops.

So:

4 Masterwork or better pieces of equipment
Empyreal Fragments
2 Crafting material
1Universal upgrade.

^ affected by Magic find.

This means that you still keep the pool diluted enough so it’s not breaking the economy, but you get a grantee of more useful things than a bunch of universtal upgrades you don’t need.

Also the addition of MF to the chests would add a benefit for accounts that have been around longer and have been building up magic find.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

(edited by Daishi.6027)

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

POSSIBLE SOLUTION: For the Jumping Puzzles considered to be long and/or difficult, then perhaps they could put an NPC at the start who asks players to take on a little gathering quest for them. Their task would be to collect several materials that can be found easily enough along the course of the JP. Opening the chest at the end with all of the collected materials in their inventory rewards them with a guaranteed Rare item in addition to the normal payout, and the materials are automatically removed from Inventory.

The collected materials would naturally be Soulbound, and only one of each can be carried at a time. (If you tried to collect a second one, you’d get a “Sorry… you already have that material” error.) As with any other chest reward, the guaranteed Rare would be a once-per-day proposition.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: MokahTGS.7850

MokahTGS.7850

Not really sure why this is so hard. JPing puzzles should give better rewards and not be farmable. How?

JPing puzzles are areas. Make any disconnect inside the area port the player back to the beginning of the JPing puzzle just like how EotM dump the players that log off or disconnects.

Make all JPing puzzle chests a once a day thing and up the loot. I’m not going to bang my head at a puzzle for a blue and a green.

Parking a character at locations for easy loot grabs is lame and not intended behavior. Ask any of the devs if that’s how they intended the JPing puzzles to be used and you know they would agree with me.

Will this be fixed any time soon? I’m not holding my breath.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

You do know that the new SW JP is supposed to be giving you Masterwork and Rare rewards, right? If it’s not, I’d say there might be a bug with the reward process for it.

Posted by: Etien.4601

Etien.4601

True story. I’ve done em all. It was fun while it lasted. The new JP is fun too but the fact that the exotic bag gave a white item was again another reason not to jump for any other reason than monthly achievement.

Drop Acid Not Bombs (Richie Hawtin)

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

THEY SHOULD, totally,
But mesmer portals and parking should be disabled.

SOLUTION; Give checkpoints at beginning middle and end.

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

Devildoc.6721

Well, at least some should. Like, the really super easy ones shouldn’t, but the more difficult ones like Obsidian Sanctum, the Aetherblade JP, Skipping Stones, Griffonrook Run (while carrying the bomb), Secret Garden should, and use a checkpoint system.

I’m just saying that there are several puzzles I’ve literally done maybe twice, some that I’ve only done once, because the rewards were just not worth the effort and I only need to do 12 for a monthly so I’ll skip the hardest ones.

Posted by: Hopeless.5403

Hopeless.5403

I agree to disagree. The achievement speaks for itself

Devildoc.6721

I agree to disagree. The achievement speaks for itself

The achievement is only for doing these things ONCE.

ONCE.

Is that worth all the development time spent creating something?

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

. . . yeah, no. No. No.

Two jumping puzzles come to mind which are remarkably simple when you get down to it. First, Umaug’s Secret (in Lion’s Arch) is remarkably simple to run through when you know how. Secondly, Ice Floe Ruins (in Frostgorge Sound) is also incredibly simple when you avoid combat instead of fighting things with knockbacks, stuns, and launches.

I mean, I can see your argument for things like “Not So Secret” which is a pain in the skritt, or the Hidden Garden (where it is incredibly easy to die and not be able to return quickly).

But if they add rares, I think you’re going to see a lot of mesmers doing more portals for JPs now (“Tips appreciated”) and people parking alts to grab them.

Oh, and Obsidian Sanctum isn’t hard, just time consuming . . . the two annoying parts (Arena and Dark Room) get easier after the first few times.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

I think you should be checked to see whether you started outside the JP’s area, so no parking allowed.

Then you can complete the JP from scratch.

Then you can be rewarded the same loot table as a wvw rank chest, scaled to the level of the area the JP is in. (so basically two blues or a blue and green).

Each completed JP will be worth 100-500 points, you get a chest after 5000 points.

There, now JP loot is fixed:-)

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Posted by: johnnymiller.5968

johnnymiller.5968

Probably why the rewards are so poor.

Devildoc.6721

I think you should be checked to see whether you started outside the JP’s area, so no parking allowed.

Then you can complete the JP from scratch.

Then you can be rewarded the same loot table as a wvw rank chest, scaled to the level of the area the JP is in. (so basically two blues or a blue and green).

Each completed JP will be worth 100-500 points, you get a chest after 5000 points.

There, now JP loot is fixed:-)

Uh, that’s less rewards than currently, nobody would repeat JP’s for that garbage.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Granted, the reward from JPs are terrible. I never got anything but useless crap: mostly Masterwork Crests – WTF?!?

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Devildoc.6721

Granted, the reward from JPs are terrible. I never got anything but useless crap: mostly Masterwork Crests – WTF?!?

Crests are truly worthless.