Jumping puzzles: yuck

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

I love JP’s. I also don’t understand why people find it odd that others do like them.

All you have to do is accept and understand the fact that different people have different tastes. I know some people that love wvw, and others that hate it. Some that play PvP all the time and some who won’t spend even a second in it. The same can be said for fractals and dungeons, so how are JP’s any different?

What I don’t understand is why people rant about content that is perfectly avoidable. If you’re doing it just for Achievement Points then at least be glad that they’ll give you some of the easiest, quickest achievement points you’ll ever get, out of any form of content in the game. And after you’re done with that, you won’t have to revisit them ever again if they turn you off that much.

Posted by: Wuselknusel.4082

Wuselknusel.4082

Normally, I don’t post here. However, I’ve been doing some JPs lately for achievement points (no interest in PvP/WvW, so points need to come from somewhere). I suspect ANet collects metrics on this sort of thing, and might mistakenly assume I’m doing that because they’re enjoyable. I want to correct that, because I do think this is generally a pretty good game.

JPs aren’t pleasant at all. They’re arguably the worst thing in PvE. It’s less a puzzle than it is a constant fight against a camera which is clearly not designed for the needlessly cramped spaces in which it’s trying to operate (much less with larger characters), obfuscating any helpful references and sapping the fun out of the experience. What should in theory be a fun diversion ends up being incredibly frustrating and painful. I’m genuinely baffled that people claim to like them.

Rant over.

What? If you would have wrote this 2 months earlier, you may have had a point. But now ANet has gone a long way to fix this since that point and has implemented first person camera and a colision detection. So all tools you need to not get your camera stuck is built into your client.

(edited by Wuselknusel.4082)

Posted by: cocowoushi.7150

cocowoushi.7150

JPs are fine for AP and chests but I HATE when they are forced under Skillpoints/Vistas and my personal hatred: Fractals. My game can be choppy at times, not to the point it makes an impact on a fight, but it makes accurate jumping or death excruciating and forces me to take so much time to make sure I don’t fall, causing me to delay everyone else.

I’ve paid Mesmers to port me to Vistas that require accurate jumping, and had Guildies port me past the jumping parts of Harpy Fractal. I’m adamant against carrying the hammer on Cliffside on the planks at the end, and I want to cry everytime we roll Jade Maw.

Posted by: Wuselknusel.4082

Wuselknusel.4082

So you blame the game because your computer is not good enough?

cocowoushi.7150

I don’t see the point of them in Fractals. It doesn’t make it challenging; it makes it annoying. People with better rigs than me still fall during these parts; something as simple as a double tap causing you to roll instead of position yourself sends you flying off the edge. One misstep on Cliffside with the hammer and the whole party could need to wipe because the hammer won’t respawn.

Getting dazed/crippled mid jump and falling in Maw/Harpy has nothing to do with rigs but it’s still annoying as kitten.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I don’t see the point of them in Fractals. It doesn’t make it challenging; it makes it annoying. People with better rigs than me still fall during these parts; something as simple as a double tap causing you to roll instead of position yourself sends you flying off the edge. One misstep on Cliffside with the hammer and the whole party could need to wipe because the hammer won’t respawn.

Getting dazed/crippled mid jump and falling in Maw/Harpy has nothing to do with rigs but it’s still annoying as kitten.

Sorry, what part of your argument is something other than challenge and being good at playing the game?

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I like jumping puzzles, but let’s face it: the camera is – even with the collision slider – rather horrible. You learn to adapt and take other angles. Maybe it’s perception but I can run through parts or jump through parts even when the camera is constantly changing. Maybe be cause I played a lot of platformer games on consoles (Mario Galaxy anyone?).

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

cocowoushi.7150

Sorry, what part of your argument is something other than challenge and being good at playing the game?

By all means, explain to me how jumping puzzle elements of Fractals is challenging content and gauges how good someone is at clearing content.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

By all means, explain to me how jumping puzzle elements of Fractals is challenging content and gauges how good someone is at clearing content.

If someone is unable to get past the JP elements, then that person is not all that great at clearing all content. And clearly it is challenging content since some people have a hard time with it.

cocowoushi.7150

If someone is unable to get past the JP elements, then that person is not all that great at clearing all content. And clearly it is challenging content since some people have a hard time with it.

I guess I’m the minority here when told to describe challenging content and JP isn’t in the list. Should I expect HoT’s challenging group content to be group platforming levels? Are people who have to take longer than others in these parts bad because of lag/personal hinderances?

Perhaps if they didn’t port you back to the start of the section rather than where you fell I wouldn’t find them as annoying.

Kal Spiro.9745

Ok, I’ll break it down with your original post, I guess:

something as simple as a double tap causing you to roll instead of position yourself sends you flying off the edge.

First off, double tap is terrible game play, don’t use double tap. Only dodge with a specific key bind, then you simply can’t do this. So this is about being good at the game.

One misstep on Cliffside with the hammer and the whole party could need to wipe because the hammer won’t respawn.

You are juggling an item that is trying to kill you between five people, a timer you need to pay attention to so that you don’t get stunned/die, and you have to walk a precarious path with obstacles, but no jumping. That is a challenge.

The challenge is to avoid their attacks so this doesn’t happen. Try jump dodging, that is a fairly challenging maneuver to most people.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

I’ve never understood these threads. Not liking them I get, but I’ve never had an issue with the camera in a JP that I can remember. Does anyone have videos showing how the camera is terrible in them? Because all I can think is people just are bad with camera control until I see video evidence that a decent number of JPs have camera issues.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

I’ve never understood these threads. Not liking them I get, but I’ve never had an issue with the camera in a JP that I can remember. Does anyone have videos showing how the camera is terrible in them? Because all I can think is people just are bad with camera control until I see video evidence that a decent number of JPs have camera issues.

welp if i had a computer good enough id get on my max sized Charr(that i did all the JP on) And find the worst two that i had the most trouble with, not saying there arent more, but two were bad. Small spaces, huge character, so big im going through the wall or roof, but the camera wont let me see around my character to where im going next.(Before first person). Still did them all, still dont think they are a problem though. Remember all the people complaining about the camera with Liadria, yea im fairly sure the camera is indeed a problem in small spaces! Well, was..we have a first person mode now.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

First person mode has honestly never helped me as far as jumping goes. And it tends to make me feel sick if I use it. Luckily, I know the JPs so well that I can (usually) make the jumps from the annoying tight spaces (like Troll’s End) without having to do anything special. But when I can, I have the camera zoomed out almost all the way and aimed down because I find it easiest to jump that way.

Posted by: Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Mojo Gris Gris.5941

I totally understand the OP’s frustration with the camera, and as others have said, that’s why I have more asura than any other race. I mostly like jumping puzzles with 3 big exceptions: Mad King’s Clock Tower, Winter Wonderland, and Not So Secret. Those were designed for complete masochists.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

if you use touble tab dodge then its is 100%! your fault…

dont use that pls..
it solves so many problems if you start using v (for example) to dodge instead of double tab

double tab dodge is one of the worst things anet put into the game as a start setting…

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

(edited by Orangensaft.7139)

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Sounds to me like you don’t enjoy anything fun. I love JPs personally and the mechanics aren’t a problem if you know how they work.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

I totally understand the OP’s frustration with the camera, and as others have said, that’s why I have more asura than any other race. I mostly like jumping puzzles with 3 big exceptions: Mad King’s Clock Tower, Winter Wonderland, and Not So Secret. Those were designed for complete masochists.

no its not for masochists
just for people who are really used to the GW2 controlls and know how their characters jump and seek extra challenge…

clocktower i failed hard the first time … was still on my main fat norn then

second year it was suddenly sooo easy!

its mostly a matter of practice
like basically everything in life

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Kal Spiro.9745

just for people who are really used to the GW2 controlls and know how their characters jump and seek extra challenge…

Winter Wonderland isn’t even hard. There are plenty of standard Jumping Puzzles much more difficult than WW. The most difficult thing about it is the present part, and that is only because of changes they had to implement for it to function the way it does now, and didn’t the first year.

I managed to get up the clocktower one time the first year. Now I compete with myself to get the maximum number of completions in a single match.

Not So Secret is challenging, but there are still more difficult ones out there. It is downright cruel, though, if you’re going for the goggles.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

This certainly begs the question as to why you are mid-jump when getting dazed or crippled? Did they add a timer to that fractal that requires you to jump through everything ASAP?

Take each jump one at a time. Look to see if a harpy is engaging you before you actually jump. There’s really no excuse for jumping when getting dazed/crippled. You know there are monsters there that do it, so don’t jump until they are a) dead or b) engaging someone else.

100% a user error.

If you are with a group that just wants to run through all of the harpies, then either have them mesmer/thief you through, ask them to kill all harpies, or simply leave the instance. That encounter was not meant to have everyone run through ignoring harpies. It was designed to utilize proper reflects/stability/absorb as a group. If people want to skip, then it kicks the focus on jump timing necessity up a couple notches, meaning it isn’t for you as a poor jumping player.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

cocowoushi.7150

This certainly begs the question as to why you are mid-jump when getting dazed or crippled? Did they add a timer to that fractal that requires you to jump through everything ASAP?

Take each jump one at a time. Look to see if a harpy is engaging you before you actually jump. There’s really no excuse for jumping when getting dazed/crippled. You know there are monsters there that do it, so don’t jump until they are a) dead or b) engaging someone else.

I didn’t say a thing about skipping harpies. Perhaps it didn’t happen to you, but it’s totally possible to be crippled when you are moving up the stages to engage them. We need to jump to get to them so we can kill them, correct (Unless you’re an Ele and can nuke from a far range.) ? This isn’t a matter of stability. You need to save those and reflects for their knock back attack. But the cripple mid- air makes you fall like a rock. There are spots on those sections where at least 3 of them can hit you at the same time.

Kal Spiro.9745

I didn’t say a thing about skipping harpies. Perhaps it didn’t happen to you, but it’s totally possible to be crippled when you are moving up the stages to engage them. We need to jump to get to them so we can kill them, correct (Unless you’re an Ele and can nuke from a far range.) ? This isn’t a matter of stability. You need to save those and reflects for their knock back attack. But the cripple mid- air makes you fall like a rock. There are spots on those sections where at least 3 of them can hit you at the same time.

Are you implying that only eles have ranged attacks? Cause I guarantee there isn’t a class that is lacking in that department. It still sounds like you’re just not up for the challenge.

Posted by: BlueEyesWhiteDragon.6951

BlueEyesWhiteDragon.6951

I never found them to be challenging at all, just find the purple ring and interact with it.

Disclaimer: I “may” have payed for the occasional portal.

I think I love you lol! :-P
Now, I just need to find some poor mesmer friends and I’ll have a degree in applied jumping in no time…

Posted by: Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Winter Wonderland isn’t even hard. There are plenty of standard Jumping Puzzles much more difficult than WW. The most difficult thing about it is the present part, and that is only because of changes they had to implement for it to function the way it does now, and didn’t the first year.

I managed to get up the clocktower one time the first year. Now I compete with myself to get the maximum number of completions in a single match.

Not So Secret is challenging, but there are still more difficult ones out there. It is downright cruel, though, if you’re going for the goggles.

They all 3 make me rage so hard. I’ve done all the rest, and Not So Secret is the only pair of goggles I still need for the diver achievement. Honestly, the amount of frustration I’ve felt from those 3 puzzles is the reason I view it as masochism to complete them. I give mad kudos to those who can get through them.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

If doing jumping puzzles, turn off dodging by double tapping a movement key. It’s better to have more control by pressing a single key when you want to dodge rather than have it go off when you’re not expecting it to.

If your character model is large, such as for Norn and Charr, use transformation tonics. Make sure the one that you use allows you to jump as some do not. This may also resolve some of the camera issues.

For the camera issues, I tend to zoom in to my character just enough to see where they’re jumping. Needing to do this isn’t necessary for most of the time in my experience.

Posted by: MSFone.3026

MSFone.3026

Jumping Puzzles: Awesome part of the game, love em.

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

Never been a fan of platform games, jumping games, or anything else that might keep a seven year old entertained. I’m also not a fan of multi level maps purely designed to extend the distance between two points by forcing you to go up/around/down/back/forward to arrive at a point on the map 200 yards from where you were.

I get that some people enjoy them, but there are quite enough Super Mario clones around already, play those to your hearts content if you like jumping.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I love jp, it’s a love and hate thing really to be honest. I love where some of them are and really enjoy the scenery. The one thing that makes GW2 the best game around is the gxf, the maps and the JP’s to go with the map.
Some of them are hard, more hard because of the camera than hard because of the jumping. But I would love to see more JP in the expansion.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

The way you describe it almost makes it seem like you believe stability skills are one-time use. This goes back to my point about simply rushing through content. The team needs to use their skills. When done engaging, let CDs come back and move to next group. Is everyone in such a hurry they can’t wait 30secs?

The knockdowns are really all you should be worried about on that fractal, not the cripple/chill while jumping, and the knockdowns can be handled with proper reflect/stability/absorb rotating.

That or you can try rushing through, but in my experience that ends up taking longer because someone always ends up not making it, and then can’t make it alone. There have definitely been times when we have been able to skip it without issue, but that isn’t the norm IMO when doing fotm40+ with a PUG.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Sujuro.4096

Sujuro.4096

Jumping puzzles are one of my favorite parts of the game as well. There are only a few JP where the camera is difficult to work with for me, but since there are so few, it almost seems intended. Usually it is standard to just move the camera to the most open part. If you have to jump with the camera in a specific orientation, yeah you’ll have some trouble, but I think that is an operator issue imo. I have also done every JP in first person now so, you might try that. I can’t say much for laggy folks, my condolences I guess.
I have used every race on all the JP, my original and primary choice being Charr. From my perspective, Asura have the weirdest jumping style. It doesn’t seem possible for them to make the jumps they do, you just kind of have to trust that you’ll make it. Plus they do that animation where they kind of fall forward but catch themselves and sway back, throws me off sometimes xD.
My favorite puzzle would have to be Hidden Garden in Mount Maelstrom, feels like a Tomb Raider level. I think I’d have to give Griffonrook Run the award for difficulty.

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

I love jumping puzzles, they are unique to guild wars 2, give a bigger sense of exploration secret stuff then anything, and most of time yield amazing views around your character. I used to totally incredible suck at jumping puzzles. Mad kings Clocktower ‘must have this achievement but totally suck at this’-time fixed that for me Now i’m actually very good at them, and enjoy them even more.

Sorry op you didn’t like them, but if Anet listens to you, and remove them, they removal an integral part of gw2, that a lot of player like (or grow to like). Don’t like them, don’t do them. You are not forced to do them. If you want purely achievement, there are plenty mesmers selling a portal upstairs (or ask a friendly guildie of yours if he can help you with it).

I get that some people enjoy them, but there are quite enough Super Mario clones around already, play those to your hearts content if you like jumping.

No thanks. Mario is an indie game, wich i don’t like. Often a lot of other ‘puzzle’ games are more focussed on ‘finding the right path’ then the actually jumping part of it. And jump only focussed games like mario, tend to be indie games.

Gw2 has a unique combination of beautiful character, beautifull grahpics, in wich you can take place in jumping puzzles if you like to, to have a whole new level of entertainment , for those who like it. You can completely look anywhere around you, even during a jump, tell me a mario game that’s like that. Even skyrim exploration (wich is great), has nothing that compares to the best jumping puzzles of guild wars 2 (like the one in Mount Maelstrom, the one you take via the portals).

Gw2 has managed a very good balance of exploration, challenge, fun, sense of accomplishment, group activities (jp’s are often done to help one another, wich is great thing to do together). Almost no game compares to it. Removing the feature just because a few people like you don’t like them (and aren’t even forced to do them mostly to begin with), is wrong.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

(edited by Phoebe Ascension.8437)

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

No thanks. Mario is an indie game, wich i don’t like.

It seems people don’t understand what the term “indie game” means anymore.

Posted by: Takoyakii.2146

Takoyakii.2146

I use those to farm event bags and blade shards…. I’m masochrist ?

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

I usually enjoy JPs once they are over, but I have found that they get more enjoyable as your skill level goes up. When I did the quest for the grawl at Wintersday I found that a lot of the JPs which had annoyed me first time around no end. I agree about the camera though, even first person view hasn’t solved all those problems.

Time to dust off the old Inigo Montoya quote

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I usually enjoy JPs once they are over, but I have found that they get more enjoyable as your skill level goes up. When I did the quest for the grawl at Wintersday I found that a lot of the JPs which had annoyed me first time around no end. I agree about the camera though, even first person view hasn’t solved all those problems.

Time to dust off the old Inigo Montoya quote

You keep using that word…… ( I love that movie)

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Doesn’t matter even with all the updates, more modern graphics etc, it’s still way to cartoonish (or indi-ish) for me to like it. So my statement remains, just you nitpicking on what i meant with it.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

JP are one of the best parts of the game. I only wish Anet could be more generous with the rewards they give.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks