Jumping vs. Chocolate

Jumping vs. Chocolate

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lithuen.9067

Lithuen.9067

Ever hear of “too much of a good thing”? I hate to say it but, this jumping puzzle stuff is a bit overboard at this point. I know you’ve got some well-intending people working hard to come up with these things, but even with the best of ideas, things can take on a life of their own, and I think that’s what’s happened here.

Having them optional allows players to do them when they feel like delving into their Mario skills a bit more than normal play demands. However, with the last festival and now the new content, they have become a requirement. This is a requirement I refuse to meet. At this point, it’s as though I’m now on a leash being led.

I’ve seen you say time and again the goal for GW 2 is to have fun. This is not fun. Some people may say it is, but in the end it’s a grind. Without the enthusiasm to continually repeat trial and error, the puppy refuses to play. This puppy refuses to attempt your new content for this reason.

I’m sorry to see this happen. I was having glorious fun until now. Now, it’s a wall I refuse to jump for you. Thanks all the same to the jumping puzzle crew. You’ve gone a bit overboard with it, however. I’m sorry to see it. I hope you’re not like some developers who rigidly refuse to back down on what seemed at the time to be a brilliant idea. I can see the amount of work that went into this, so rectifying it would probably be as easy as a trip to Mars.

If such is the case, I hate to say after all this time, this is where we part ways.

“Smile,” he said. “Things could be worse.”
He smiled, and sure enough, things got worse.

Jumping vs. Chocolate

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

Feels less like a grind than running from monster to monster, killing again… and again… AND again. Variety is good. If you don’t like it, someone else will. Nothing should be handed to you. Gosh, people act like it’s the end of days when players have to work for something.

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

Jumping vs. Chocolate

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

People throw negative buzzwords like “grind” and “clunky” around so much that those words no longer have any meaning other than “bad thing.” Grinding means that you’re engaged in the same menial, repetitive task doing it for hours on end. Failing to jump different kinds of jumping puzzles aren’t grinds; you just don’t like jumping.

If you were doing the same jumping puzzle over and over again successfully for the rewards, like 50 per hour, then that would be a grind.

Jumping vs. Chocolate

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

You can never have too much chocolate.

I dont get it?

Jumping vs. Chocolate

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

OP, just because you don’t like something, it doesn’t make it bad.
Dry Top is a single map that requires jumping – and it’s the only one now that the Zephyr Sanctum is destroyed.

I love jumping/platforming. It is one of the many things that makes GWII different to other MMOs. I have gotten friends to join the game simply by showing them jumping puzzles.

I personally hope that they use new mechanics like this for all future maps, because it creates varity and makes it more fun to explore since not every map will be the same.

Also, this:

You can never have too much chocolate.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Jumping vs. Chocolate

Posted by: Pibriamal.8719

Pibriamal.8719

You don’t even need to jump for the bare minimum of this content. You can get through without platforming. Going through the story takes minimal effort.

For the achievements, yes, you need to platform. Sure, it can be hard. But it’s for an achievement. I’m glad that achievements actually mean something now. Or at least more people are complaining. Makes me feel more like a special snowflake.

Jumping vs. Chocolate

Posted by: FirebrandFrog.7603

FirebrandFrog.7603

Feels less like a grind than running from monster to monster, killing again… and again… AND again. Variety is good. If you don’t like it, someone else will. Nothing should be handed to you. Gosh, people act like it’s the end of days when players have to work for something.

There’s “working for your rewards” and then there’s “needless grind/pointless actions that lead to pitiful rewards in ratio to amount of time spent.”

Guess where current jumping puzzles lie.

Briar Stoneheart, 80 Warrior | Erik Haptem, 80 Necromancer
(currently leveling: a Mesmer, an Engineer, and a Guardian)

Jumping vs. Chocolate

Posted by: nightly.2761

nightly.2761

I do agree with you that too much of something is a bad thing. I found myself lost and failing jumps the first day but after playing the content a bit longer it wasn’t all that bad.

The many events and the crowded map makes it fun for me. I’ve been helping alot of people that fell to their death and receiving many kind words for it. The jumping is, when you know the path, VERY easy and done in minutes. After divers platform (where alot of mesmers camp) and the JP you don’t have alot jumping left.

Also it’s day 3 after the update…. Give them time to roll-out the rest of the content they have planned for us. It’s very likely most people don’t go back to the map when more zones open up.

Jumping vs. Chocolate

Posted by: Amnariel.3659

Amnariel.3659

I stopped logging in and I hope with this I can send a message to the devs.I am only 1 but I hope many will follow until they see that’s not ok anymore.

I am sick of jumping,being pushed down from cliffs all the time,being instant killed or dragged into something what kills or launches and I am sick of NPC invulnerabilities at certain points. I am sick of these old boring mechanics.

(edited by Amnariel.3659)

Jumping vs. Chocolate

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

they need to make jumping puzzles that are
difficult and challenging content
vs
“i’m never going to do that again”

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Jumping vs. Chocolate

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

they need to make jumping puzzles that are
difficult and challenging content
vs
“i’m never going to do that again”

The zone is less annoying on level than the ascalon wall jumping puzzle. Approach any jump from the right side and they are straightforward.

Jumping vs. Chocolate

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

There’s “working for your rewards” and then there’s “needless grind/pointless actions that lead to pitiful rewards in ratio to amount of time spent.”

Guess where current jumping puzzles lie.

If the rewards are truly pitiful then it doesn’t matter if you jump or not and the OP should be happy.

Jumping vs. Chocolate

Posted by: Silvia.9130

Silvia.9130

What you all smart eyed people apparently fail to realize is that he has not said jumping should be removed, no one likes jumping or whatever, he said he doesn’t like it, and both last events implied it, thus he is requiring a choice: if you like jumping, jump. If you don’t, be allowed to kill even 300 mobs to reach the top by secondary way. Is that so hard to accept?
Some are clumsy at this jumping trash and spending 2 hours to try reach a stupid goggle on top of that wreck is nothing more than a frustration, just like it can be to hunt useless coins or it was to hunt useless crystals.

>>Lady Carlie Castle<
>>=<

Jumping vs. Chocolate

Posted by: DDRitter.1872

DDRitter.1872

People who does not like to jump should use the Multiplayer option of this game, get some mesmer friends and ask for portals. Problem solved.

This kind of “hard” platform content is ideal for social interaction. I love it!

Jumping vs. Chocolate

Posted by: Galespark.7835

Galespark.7835

What you all smart eyed people apparently fail to realize is that he has not said jumping should be removed, no one likes jumping or whatever, he said he doesn’t like it, and both last events implied it, thus he is requiring a choice: if you like jumping, jump. If you don’t, be allowed to kill even 300 mobs to reach the top by secondary way. Is that so hard to accept?
Some are clumsy at this jumping trash and spending 2 hours to try reach a stupid goggle on top of that wreck is nothing more than a frustration, just like it can be to hunt useless coins or it was to hunt useless crystals.

While I seem love the things you find “jumping trash…stupid…useless”, it appears that perhaps Arenanet should in the future look for an alternative for the jumping for people who are really unable to do it (motoric handicaps, bad coordination or scarred tissue come to mind), or have developed some kind of strange allergy to jumping in a game. At least they should be able to see the story. I still don’t understand how you can do the combat in this game and not the very minor mandatory jumping required in this patch for story purposes, but if you let me jump my way and be happy, others can go their way and be happy as well.

However, the relatively hard jumping achievements are fine. These are achievements, they are optional. If you have for some reason set yourself a goal to get as many achievements as possible, you have made the decision to brave anything the developers throw at you. If you then bump into an achievement you do not like attempting, you can choose to either let it slide, or push through. Demanding it to be nerfed or removed is just unwarranted entitlement. I do not like PvP, you do not see me complain about PvP achievements being a drag to get. I just don’t attempt them.

Jumping vs. Chocolate

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Yes he did say that he didn’t like it, but he also went on to then make an entire argument which came down to “make it the way I want or I will leave”, which is kinda where most people seem to be having some issues.

Jumping vs. Chocolate

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

We have a feedback thread for jumping puzzle feedback. You can leave your comments here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/lwd/Jumping-Feedback-Thread