Junk Items

Junk Items

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Noobix.3958

Noobix.3958

Im talking about greys. Broken claws. Spikes. That sort of thing.

What is the design rationale behind having these in games? MMo’s and GW2 in particular. Its always a bit of a bitter taste when they drop. I’d argue that it would be better for these to not drop at all rather than have the inventory space be wasted while I find a vendor to Sell All. They just feel like hastle.

I appreciate that over a long period of time, yes, the junk items probably do add up to a significant amount of gold you wouldn’t sniff at. Maybe John Smith could chime in and maybe tell us the total value of junk items sold by your average veteran player with say +1000 hrs? That would be interesting.

Junk Items

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I do find it an odd philosophical choice to keep junk items when several other design decisions were made around avoiding the usual MMO pitfalls.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Junk Items

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

In early testing players were happier getting junk loot than no loot at all.

Me, I don’t mind it, thanks to the Sell Junk button. Plus if you’re not sure you’ve tagged an event enough to get credit for it, having any loot pop up tells you that you did get the tag, even if it’s junk loot. This can matter in the current daily event zerg!

Junk Items

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

::laughs::

You want to know why they’re there? Two reasons.

First is for flavor. If everything just drops coins, that’s kind of dull. But instead they drop things like hooves, lockpicks, and needles. These say something about what you were fighting. Yes, you just sell them for coins, but they add some flavor to the world and the loot without increasing the value of it.

Second is because they take up space. You learn very quickly that if you want to keep all the money you’ve earned, you need more inventory space. So, you get bigger bags, or buy bag slots. This drives some of the crafting and gem sales. Or maybe you waypoint to a vendor, or summon a merchant to take it off your hands. Waypoint costs and gem costs for the summon consumable drive the economy too.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Junk Items

Posted by: Countess Aire.9410

Countess Aire.9410

That is the reason world boss fights have lost their luster. Since plating since pre my loot drops have become as I call them garbage drops. You fight a world boss and get broken claws and other trash. You end up losing gold because the rewards are not worth the effort. As a veteran player fighting word bosses. I get fine and low level master craft. Not worth fighting for that reason. Leveling characters is the only way to enjoy the loot table.

Junk Items

Posted by: Kuldebar.1897

Kuldebar.1897

Junk items are vendor trash and you can make some coin off them…not sure what there is to complain about.

These items are certainly not worthless or useless:

Junk items are trophies that mostly drop from slain enemies and have no utility other than being sold for coin at merchants. Junk items can be identified by grey colored text in the item’s tooltip. They cannot be salvaged and will stack with themselves. All junk items are soulbound to the character upon pickup.

Most junk items dropped from enemies are split between 3 different tiers, similar to the manner crafting materials and salvage items, allowing stronger monsters of the same type drop different and more valuable loot.

Junk item tiers often have similar names (or even the same name, such as Hoof), but are worth different prices.

A few trophies that are used for events are incorrectly labeled as junk items.

Some crafted bags, such as Oiled Leather Packs, will fill with junk items before other items if possible.

-wiki

Junk Items

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Junk items are vendor trash and you can make some coin off them…not sure what there is to complain about.

Their vendor value is so low that they’re virtually worthless. Even a full stack of most types is worth very little in the grand scheme of things. Personally, I don’t like walking around with a bag full of garbage like a god kitten ed hobo. And quite literally, it’s all garbage – piles of mush and broken things. Kind of ruins the immersion for me as a veteran player. The heroes of Tyria call me Boss, and I’m chopping spider legs off to sell for pennies. Ridiculous.

(edited by Jahroots.6791)

Junk Items

Posted by: Noobix.3958

Noobix.3958

Id literally pay merchants to take them off my hands asap so i can have my bagspace back.

Junk Items

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

That is the reason world boss fights have lost their luster. Since plating since pre my loot drops have become as I call them garbage drops. You fight a world boss and get broken claws and other trash. You end up losing gold because the rewards are not worth the effort. As a veteran player fighting word bosses. I get fine and low level master craft. Not worth fighting for that reason. Leveling characters is the only way to enjoy the loot table.

World bosses give you a guaranteed rare though once per day per account and I often get rares out of the chest as well. I’m not sure what world boss you’re fighting that’s not worth it, because I’ve always made a profit on world bosses, even with way pointing around.

Junk Items

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

You mean you don’t collect them all to become an Honorary Skritt?