Just bought game, few questions

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mugan.4958

Mugan.4958

Hi Guys,

I have heard good things about this game from some guildies in WoW and just picked it up as the $10 sale was too good to pass up trying it out

currently waiting for it to install and surfing the forums with the age old question

what class should I roll

I am a pretty skilled WoW player, both in arena and Pve, what do you recommend for a first class, race, and which server

are there any class’s (professions) that are currently weak?? I have never been a FOTM reroller or player but have seen some pretty broken classes (I play a Ele Shammy in wow for example)

thanks for your help in advance… hope to meet a lot of cool people in game and get to it..

(edited by Mugan.4958)

Posted by: tenklo.6104

tenklo.6104

Depends on play style really before going heavy in grind. Jump in spvp. And try classes and builds out.. I personaly like mez ele and gaurd depending how I want to play.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

It depends on what you want to do and how quickly you can pick up dodging skills — unlike WoW, you want to keep moving while you fire off abilities, and dodge the big attacks.

Everyone will advocate for some professions and against others. I think there’s a consensus that Thieves are best for PvP and WvW as they are a bit squishy for PVE and don’t do as much party support and buffing, that Rangers and Necromancers won’t be welcome in dungeon PuGs, and that Warriors do the highest dps. All dependent on individual build and skill of course.

What did you find most fun in WoW? We can suggest things of that general flavor. Keep in mind there are no dedicated tanks or healers in GW2, every profession can do it all and you can’t really hold aggro or heal other players on a sustained basis.

Posted by: Pandeh.5248

Pandeh.5248

I would recommend Ele, Thief or Mesmer. Those are the classes that have the most depth/most complex mechanics, and moving away from any of those will make it easy to learn a new one.

Mugan.4958

i actually enjoyed my DK for melee and my shaman for ranged

I would like something with a decent skill floor, and have been leaning towards a Ele from what i have read so far

I am terrible at sticking to a class and seem to jump around in WoW (have 4x 100’s and multiple mid 90’s im leveling)

I enjoy big burst numbers, decent survivability, and not being super squishy or relying on kiting to live

what would you recommend between a ele and a necro??

(edited by Mugan.4958)

Mugan.4958

ok down to these 2

Necro or Ele

please help me decide, any pros/cons between the 2

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Definitely Elementalist. The pros? High DPS and good support in dungeons. Excellent in PvP as well. The downside is that you can only equip one weapon set (so no swapping in combat) and it’s extremely squishy if you spec for DPS.

Necro is good in PvP and fairly mediocre in the rest of the game. Fun to play, but doesn’t pack as much punch as Ele and less desired (unwelcome, in some instances) for dungeons.

(edited by Jahroots.6791)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Keep in mind that Ele has the steepest learning curve of all the professions and is incredibly squishy. If you feel frustrated playing it after a bit, roll something else and compare.

Also while we can give you all sorts of suggestions (me, I say Mesmer and Guardian are the most fun and all three Medium armor ones the least fun), in the end there’s enough variation that each choice comes down to personal preference. You have five slots, test out several professions (I think you can still go to the PvP lobby area to try out a level 80 with all traits without having to actually level to 80 first). I know that before beta I was sure Guardian would be the most boring thing ever, as I really don’t enjoy WoW Paladins. Huh, turned out the GW2 version is really fun for me!

Between Necro and Ele, I’d suggest Necro as being simpler to figure out unless you are confident you can pick up the skills quickly, as some can. It’s not like you can’t quickly catch up on other professions as the mood takes you, leveling here is far smoother and faster than in WoW. I think people are advising you based on what’s handy to play come end game, and forgetting that you are coming in without the intuitive game skill responses long time players have built up.

So play anything, really. Play several anythings. Don’t commit resources such as extra bag slots until you know an alt is a keeper, because you can delete and reroll, or even buy more slots (up to 64 total) so as to play all the variety you wish.

Posted by: Bristingr.5034

Bristingr.5034

Server doesn’t matter unless you plan on being an active participant in World vs. World. If so, check with players in the WvW sub-forum about which server would be best.

Posted by: azyume.6321

azyume.6321

Elementalist is very fun to play. I enjoyed every bit of the leveling experience and love my two lvl 80’s. However, second to engineer, elementalist demands you to acknowledge deeply the profession mechanisms. It isn’t something that can be done in a day or couple of days. Takes time, trial and error and experience. If you don’t mind the occasional (or several) wipe and enjoy a challenge to learn one of the most complexes profession of Guild Wars 2, with the best DPS as well as good support, with several combos, go for it.

The necromancer is more forgiving, better for a new players, you will have higher survivability, low paced, giving more time to observe and try to understand the fight mechanics and class.

Perhaps a good way to decide is to ask yourself what want to do when reach level 80 (max lvl). PvE, WvW? Would want more of a role of support or DPS?

Or, something silly to think, in WvW, would you rather play with elements and offer water to your thirst teammates and burn your enemies down (ele) or would you rather play with the dark and melt the enemy zergs with wells (necro)? :P

Guardian Commander
Thief / Mesmer / Elementalist / Warrior / Necromancer / Ranger / Engineer / Revenant
Crystal Desert – Eredon Terrace – Fort Aspenwood – Stormbluff Isle

Mugan.4958

wow, thanks for all the replies and info

so would I be better to get used to the game with a simpler profession and save the ele for my second toon?? Or is this something I can learn through leveling

end game I want to focus on pvp, done know enough about the game to say wvw or whatnot

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

You could learn it through leveling, I have more fun learning the play style I want to vs learning the easiest first…

Although… I recommend MESMER ~

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

To begin with, there are three classes. What you are asking about is what PROFESSION to choose. Please learn the difference.

Mugan.4958

used to wow, hence classes, sorry to offend you

although I am sure most people understand what I mean

Posted by: Slartibartfast.5416

Slartibartfast.5416

Meh, I been playing GW2 for almost 3 years.. I still call ’em classes. :P Professions have always been like crafting and stuff, to me.

Oh, and if you want a class with a good peeve off factor in pvp, necro is good for that, along with thief.

I bind all of my keys to Gravedigger and rapidly roll my face across the keyboard while screaming
“I am teh Leetness!” at the top of my lungs, while rubbing baby oil all over myself.

Mugan.4958

ya me too, professions seem like crafting totally

thanks

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

The easiest classes to be “good” with are Ranger (but not in dungeons) and Warrior. However, they’re also the easiest classes to pick up bad habits with.

Elementalist is a glass cannon, generally. Traits can change that, but you won’t have them for quite a while, so expect the glass cannon. Also, their three main weapons are each set to a basic range/style. Dagger is close up and fast. Staff is long range and AoE heavy. Scepter is between the two. In truly skilled hands, they do awesome things, but that takes a LOT of work and practice, as well as knowing the game forwards and backwards.

Some general advice:

• Hit the trading post (Market) and check out runes for armor and sigils for weapons. Even some of the cheap ones can make a good difference. For low levels, I suggest getting a “Minor Sigil of Bloodlust” and putting that in a good weapon. It’s a “stacking” sigil, it adds a bonus to a stat (Power) every time you kill an opponent, up to 25 times. You lose the bonus if you go down, or don’t have the sigil accessible (such as going underwater and none of your underwater weapons have the sigil as well), but it can be a huge bonus once you get rolling.
  • Also, harvest everything. You’ll get a few harvesting tools at level 9. From that point on, buy more and harvest like mad. Everyone can harvest the same nodes, so it’s not like you’re taking it away from other people. Harvesting gives EXP, and items that you can either learn to craft with or sell.
  • Finally, explore. This game is stuffed with all sorts of small, hidden things. You get a bit of EXP for uncovering important areas on your map, and sometimes you’ll find more than you expected.
Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: azyume.6321

azyume.6321

If the focus is pvp for now, I’d say create both professions. Try out necro first and see how you feel, if like, have potential for you then give the ele a try.

Guild Wars 2 is different in a lot of aspect from other games and pvp isn’t an exception. There is no advantage, no gear, nothing that will give an edge for few players. Everyone and every profession have access to the same skills, gear and stats. What differentiates here is player experience, build synergy, fast response to help teammates as well as coordination.

The game won’t show you the pvp option until reach a certain level, however there is another way to do it. Ask for directions on map chat of how to go to Lion’s Arch. From there, go to the south part of the map named Fort Mariner, can ask for directions for the portal of the mists, enter the portal named Heart of the Mists. It will take you to the PvP lobby, there is a guy there that gives you the ropes, tutorial. Open the PvP panel and select, on the left tab on the window, Game Browser and pick a public server to join.

Ah, by the way, use the Trading Post (TP) to buy the weapons for your characters, they will only have access to the ones that are on their inventory. So if you want to try all, make sure to buy axe, scepter, dagger, focus, warhorn and staff for the necro . For the ele: scepter, focus, dagger and staff.

Guardian Commander
Thief / Mesmer / Elementalist / Warrior / Necromancer / Ranger / Engineer / Revenant
Crystal Desert – Eredon Terrace – Fort Aspenwood – Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

especially if you want to pvp, but also for otherwise, you should eventually try all of them to at least level 40 if not 80. for non-pvp, the reason would be to find the character you enjoy playing. for pvp, it would be so you can learn the strengths/weaknesses of the opponents and how to death with different builds.
best example of this is stealth thieves. they like to sneak up on you, hit you hard, then go back into stealth. except their best stealth-provider is shadow refuge, which they can easily be pulled out if with a kb or pull skill, then they are weaker than fishies out of water because they used all their initiative. you wouldn’t know this if you didn’t try them and know that it’s actually their ‘omg I am so dead get me out of there’ time.

this is my list of professions in order of simple (meaning easy to learn, button-mash, usually straight-forward attacking) to complex (meaning indirect, longer to learn, more variety in skills, usually summons things or have tricky skills): warrior, ranger, guardian, thief, necro, engineer, mesmer, elementalist.