Just bought the game,,all servers full ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: anfo.4320

anfo.4320

I purchased and installed the game after hearing great things about it. I would like to play on a American server but they are all full and I cannot create a character on any American realm. What gives, it’s 9:17a.m. cst, I am on my day off, how can they all be full, it should be off peak. ?

Posted by: anfo.4320

anfo.4320

2 very high now,, is it always like this ? man, this game must be off the chain if the servers are always this full,

Posted by: Mimizu.7340

Mimizu.7340

i noticed this about the U.S. servers, very full.

they need to add a few more.

Mimizu Heavy Industries [Doll] – Underworld

Posted by: Ulquiorra.6903

Ulquiorra.6903

no it’s not usually like this, just check in randomly or what i do usually friday at around 4pm pst servers will be less full.

..also welcome to gw2 =]

Posted by: NetherDiver.6079

NetherDiver.6079

supposedly they’re full not because of the amount of people currently online, but the amount of accounts tied to the server.

Ulquiorra.6903

i noticed this about the U.S. servers, very full.

they need to add a few more.

or you know…….increase the cap on what is considered a full server lol. you do not want to pull a swotor…..and end up with like 3429830492830948230482309 servers that are empty

Posted by: Beorn Saxon.4762

Beorn Saxon.4762

Typically, only half are full and the other half very high. Hopefully they increase server space when wintersday launches on Friday.

@Anfo, being newer to the game, feel free to add me to your friends list and PM if you have any in game questions. IGN: Beorn Saxon

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

Considering they are generally on full even in the middle of the frigging night, I get the feeling that full doesn’t actually mean the server has a lot of users online at that moment. I sense some odd math going behind this.

I mean how on earth would a server be full at 3am every day of the week pretty much? Honestly there is some weird stuff going on with that.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Use the scroll bar on the right, there are 7 servers that have a spot open right now.

The game is crazy popular

Ulquiorra.6903

Considering they are generally on full even in the middle of the frigging night, I get the feeling that full doesn’t actually mean the server has a lot of users online at that moment. I sense some odd math going behind this.

I mean how on earth would a server be full at 3am every day of the week pretty much? Honestly there is some weird stuff going on with that.

that’s because 3am for you could be 4pm for me. not everyone plays in the same timezone, and ppl in EU play on american servers, one of my best friends lives in France while i live in US and we both play on a NA server.

Posted by: Mura.8673

Mura.8673

Welcome to gw2, anfo! Just try looking for a server again in an hour or so, you’ll want a north american one, just for playerbase timezone reasons (if you live in NA)

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

that’s because 3am for you could be 4pm for me. not everyone plays in the same timezone, and ppl in EU play on american servers, one of my best friends lives in France while i live in US and we both play on a NA server.

We have separate EU and NA servers. There are some people who play on the other side because they work nights or whatever, but in no way is that enough people to make servers full at those times a day. That’s just bull.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Valtameri.2075

Valtameri.2075

I wonder if the US servers are more active, at least they have tons more full servers than in EU (was 3 this morning).

Posted by: biggs.4702

biggs.4702

North American servers are constantly full. What’s the point of being able to transfer if you can’t actually transfer?

And yet… people complain about how zones are empty.

Not sure what’s going on, here, but I don’t like it.

The obstacle is the path.

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

supposedly they’re full not because of the amount of people currently online, but the amount of accounts tied to the server.

Yes, and WoW’s 10 million customers are including trial and “free” accounts, as well as those that are past canceled and expired. Well, that one actually might be true…

But, no, the servers aren’t based on “accounts tied to them”, they are actually players playing the game at that time, of which there are a lot of them.

(edited by Siphaed.9235)

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

They should just put the accounts in another server that are not active one that is hidden from view just to have room for new people.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

NetherDiver.6079

Yes, and WoW’s 10 million customers are including trial and “free” accounts, as well as those that are past canceled and expired. Well, that one actually might be true…

But, no, the servers aren’t based on “accounts tied to them”, they are actually players playing the game at that time, of which there are a lot of them.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Server-Populations/first#post703192

Last post is by a dev. The statement seems a little vague, and I don’t believe it’s necessarily true, but server status might not be entirely based on users actively online.

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

They need more servers badly. Roleplayers are having a hard time getting into Tarnished Coast now, and that’s kinda the point of the game for them… Either that or they need to drastically increase realm capacity.

Posted by: PowerCat.5738

PowerCat.5738

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Server-Populations/first#post703192

Last post is by a dev. The statement seems a little vague, and I don’t believe it’s necessarily true, but server status might not be entirely based on users actively online.

I asked Eva for clarification on that message, as it was fairly vague.

Here was her response.

First message says players online at that time, but then she corrects herself saying “players registered to that server”

Attachments:

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

@PowerCat –
Thanks so much for sharing this. I think we have long suspected this was the case, but it’s awesome to see some real confirmation of it.

I’m not sure what Eva meant by the second reply there. Was she apologizing for being confusing in the first place? Or something else.

(edited by Hickeroar.9734)

Posted by: TabMorte.5297

TabMorte.5297

You’re welcome to come to Anvil Rock, I believe we’re still at High rather then Full.

Golemancy 101: total and complete catastrophic
failure is still a monumental success, assuming
losses remain within acceptable parameters.

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

All servers are not full. There are always at least a few that have room. Those who need to form guilds or groups with new players/players from other servers should find a server not listed as full and move your members there. This is the best solution for everyone involved.

Not only will it allow you to play together, it will help populations that need more people rather than further stack the top population servers (creating a haves/have nots divide that would be severely detrimental to the future of the game).

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

Here was her response.

First message says players online at that time, but then she corrects herself saying “players registered to that server”

THANK YOU x infinity

Finally we can say for definite that the servers being full is just a sign of capacity IE a bearing on players registered to a server, not activity IE players actually online actively playing.

It was pretty obvious, but still at least now there’s confirmation about it that is irrefutable. People will probably still not listen to questions of ingame activity, but at least they can’t use this avenue of defense.

Irony…. xD

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

Here was her response.

Looking at that a little more closely, I think she was actually trying to say that it’s the number of currently active people on the server, not number of accounts.

Your first choice has the word “current” in it, while the second one points out current and active accounts. In my mind, it would seem that the first choice means the number of people online, and the second refers to the number of people online and the number of people who have signed up for that server. (Though I honestly think you intended the opposite).

I don’t think she was the one who was being confusing. The wording can be taken in multiple ways. (Cue a reply below me from someone who translates it differently and tells me I’m wrong).

So, maybe we can actually get a 100% answer in this thread and finally put this to rest.

Posted by: xiv.7136

xiv.7136

US servers are very full, Arenanet needs to add some

And please, stop repeating disinformation:

“Full” means currently logged in players for that world, not accounts registered or anything else.

Karizee.8076

The last 24 hours has see US fluctuate between a low of 37% servers Full up to a high of 67% servers Full.

I think Toymaker Tixx will be bringing 3 new US servers for Wintersday

Posted by: BroScientist.9875

BroScientist.9875

“Full” means currently logged in players for that world, not accounts registered or anything else.

Source? Because judging by the dev post linked above, I think server populations are reported by the number of accounts currently residing there, regardless of whether they are logged in or not.

Hellkaiser.6025

First part “servers are full” is correct

Second part is INCORRECT https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/29602/Clipboard02.jpg

READ IT

Irony…. xD

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

^
Yes and what about Oceania players? IE: New Zealand, Australia, All Asian countries. They all play on NA servers too with a big time difference.

Posted by: Selo.1250

Selo.1250

There will be server mergers sooner or later. The playerbase has dropped by around 75%

“Server Full” only means theres a max number of users tied to that server as home server, even counting those that havent logged in for a month

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

Yeah, redposts have confirmed in at least 2 different places that server population measures how many accounts are tied to that server, not the how many people are currently logged-in.

Plus, that’s the only way to actually let people log in and start playing right away.

Karizee.8076

There will be server mergers sooner or later. The playerbase has dropped by around 75%

Tell that to my WvW queues, multiple Lion’s Arch overflows (overflows from the overflow), and lag at meta events due to so many people.

The game is booming.

When people purchase GW2 they effectively purchased a free lifetime subscription. You don’t have to log on everyday to be an active player or stay current in this game, it’s one of the very good things about GW2.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

Right now there’s 10 of the 24 NA servers open.

It does vary by time of day. Early morning last couple weeks there’d only be 8 or so that were “full.”

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Tell that to my WvW queues, multiple Lion’s Arch overflows (overflows from the overflow), and lag at meta events due to so many people.

The game is booming.

When people purchase GW2 they effectively purchased a free lifetime subscription. You don’t have to log on everyday to be an active player or stay current in this game, it’s one of the very good things about GW2.

Yes, the game is booming, but there is still the problem of everyone trying to pack into a small percentage of servers (for whatever reason) – which leaves the remainder depleted and suffering. Server mergers are probably needed to balance out the populations better – for the sake of dynamic events, adequate dungeon pools and WvW.

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

People switch on and off all the time, yeah. Red posts have confirmed that it’s accounts listed on the server, not currently playing players. We’ll probably never get the full calculation behind it.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

People switch on and off all the time, yeah. Red posts have confirmed that it’s accounts listed on the server, not currently playing players. We’ll probably never get the full calculation behind it.

If you did any stochastic processes* coursework, you might think the “fullness” meter would be a weighted value of concurrent users and total accounts based on a server.

*Markov processes, queueing chains, etc.

NetherDiver.6079

Here was her response.

Her reply is still as vague as her previous post, if not more so. Players registered to that server that are online(???)

Posted by: Selo.1250

Selo.1250

The game is booming.

The game is not booming, stop trying to convince yourself it is.

Maybe your on one of the servers that everyone has flooded to becouse of lack of players in WvW on other servers, on most servers, theres no queues at all in WvW, or considerably lower then it was before (my server had 8 hours queue, now theres no queues at all)
And Lions Arch have queues becouse thats where you can find the only end game grinding for gear.

Hellkaiser.6025

Here was her response.

Her reply is still as vague as her previous post, if not more so. Players registered to that server that are online(???)

sigh

Does that mean that the players that have chosen to make blackgate their home (read: not actively logged in just anchored to there) or have moved to blackgate from other servers (again not actively online just anchored)
As in accounts currently residing in that server (not active login)

OR

does it mean the amount of active and currently logged in players etc etc

Her answer:

The first one

/discussion about it

Irony…. xD

Hellkaiser.6025

Maybe your on one of the servers that everyone has flooded to becouse of lack of players in WvW on other servers, on most servers, theres no queues at all in WvW, or considerably lower then it was before (my server had 8 hours queue, now theres no queues at all)
And Lions Arch have queues becouse thats where you can find the only end game grinding for gear.

You’re wasting your time, some players will never agree that anything is wrong. And in some cases they’re right, as a lot of the problems are subjective.

Irony…. xD

Karizee.8076

The game is booming.

There’s a game that’s dying but it’s not GW2

Hellkaiser.6025

The game is booming.

There’s a game that’s dying but it’s not GW2

would this be a industry leading mmo that is now a shambling mess akin to a zombie with no teeth who has to self cannibalize itself to continue existing but is no longer alive?

Irony…. xD

Posted by: Araushnee.1852

Araushnee.1852

Why would they have a promo for new players if the servers are all full?
It seems like a bad idea to me. I think they need to rework the servers.

Gamer Gal

ProphetSword.5427

Her answer:

The first one

/discussion about it

Except that her answer was actually:

“The count is always about the ACTIVE players playing at that moment in one server, independently of where they created their account months ago. Of course it prevents people from logging at a given moment but you can still keep checking as some of them go from FULL to HIGH in different hours of the day.”

Her second answer was likely due to the fact that she felt the first option fit this description better than the option she selected. I say this because her first answer was VERY DETAILED, and her second answer was that it seems to relate to the second option.

/discussion

(edited by ProphetSword.5427)

Posted by: PowerCat.5738

PowerCat.5738

Well CC Eva said that her first answer was wrong, and that Player Count is the amount of people registered to that server.

Player count is the amount of people registered to that server at any given time. The reason why it fluctuates is because people move servers. The reason why it fluctuates less than it used to is because of the 7 days limit

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

“Server Full” only means theres a max number of users tied to that server as home server, even counting those that havent logged in for a month

You could at least provide some false evidence to back up your lie, absolutely shameful how little effort trolls put forth these days. :-/

Posted by: Kuruptz.4782

Kuruptz.4782

PowerCat
So if a server is full its full of accounts not online players?

so desolation is full now tomorrow morning it must be full and all other must be VERY High
on EU if someone goes low does everyone delete their accounts and buy new ones?

ProphetSword.5427

It is impossible that full relates to accounts tied to the server. That would create a deadlock situation where new accounts could never be created after a given time. And does anyone measure this way?

Posted by: Kuruptz.4782

Kuruptz.4782

Can we get an Offical STRAIGHT Answer to this

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

PowerCat
So if a server is full its full of accounts not online players?

so desolation is full now tomorrow morning it must be full and all other must be VERY High
on EU if someone goes low does everyone delete their accounts and buy new ones?

Well, thanks to terrible handling of server transfers in the first month of the game, a TON of no-lifer guilds all moved as a group to 4-5 servers so they could dominate in WvWvW. These are the guilds that are so ‘hardcore’ most players log-off to sleep or when they die, and they pretty much never leave the top few WvW ranking spots. However these few servers are pretty much closed 24/7 and there’s really no fixing that, not sure if desolation is one of those but could be.

(edited by Conncept.7638)