Just stepped back into MMOs. Confusion...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Crayonmuffin.1473

Crayonmuffin.1473

I used to play MMO games all the time. WoW, Allods, RoM, Tera even. GW2 looked to be actually unique and I did like the original. But it’s been quite some time and I am just straight up LOST on what to do. I started as Asura and I’ve done all of the heart tasks and such in the area but am too low of level to take on the main part of my story. Can you go to other races areas and get rewards? And if so, how? Sorry for nub questions.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Exploring and hearts will give you a good bit of xp, but dynamic events give the most.

You can go to other race’s starting areas by:
1. Go to your home city (Rata Sum in your case)
2. Take the asura gate to Lion’s Arch (the main portal hub city)
3. Take any of the asura gates to other cities. I recommend the human area – so go to Divinity’s Reach then south to Queensdale. It is the default most active starting area and has the most events spawning.

Also, make sure to pick up some gathering tools from a vendor along the way, that gives xp also. Good luck and have fun!

Posted by: haventr.1630

haventr.1630

Yes, if you go to WVW (World Vs world) tab on the top left corner, you can enter to any of those battlegrounds and when you get there, there should be a portal that says “Lion’s Arch” go in that. Once there you will spawn at an area with multiple portals taking you to every major city. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Just remember hearts are not the main way to earn XP. They’re minor. Dynamic events are a much better way to earn XP. The hearts are only supposed to keep you in the areas where DEs spawn and DEs are repeatable. Hearts are not.

Crayonmuffin.1473

Thanks. All of that actually helps. Just haven’t play many games lately that are this large so I got kinda lost.

Posted by: Klawlyt.6507

Klawlyt.6507

one of this games biggest shortcomings, in my opinion, is the first 5ish levels. The game wants you to go out and explore!… but only in this small area at first. Once you cet a couple levels and have more map that’s accessible, running around looking for DE’s get’s much more enjoyable.

As for your story missions, they generally aren;t more frequentr than every other level, so I recommend you save them and do ~10 levels worth at a time. It’s a much smoother experience that way. otherwise you end an instance with “Hurry! We must get to the blah before blah can blah!” Then you have to level twice before you can get to the blah.

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real.
No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Crayonmuffin.1473

one of this games biggest shortcomings, in my opinion, is the first 5ish levels. The game wants you to go out and explore!… but only in this small area at first. Once you cet a couple levels and have more map that’s accessible, running around looking for DE’s get’s much more enjoyable.

As for your story missions, they generally aren;t more frequentr than every other level, so I recommend you save them and do ~10 levels worth at a time. It’s a much smoother experience that way. otherwise you end an instance with “Hurry! We must get to the blah before blah can blah!” Then you have to level twice before you can get to the blah.

Lol good advice. This whole game just has so much more than I thought it did so it’s quite a bit to take in. Plus I’m used to the old formula of MMOs. “Go kill ten bears”, “Kill this boss here”. It’s nice to have something to play that is different. Refreshing.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Lol good advice. This whole game just has so much more than I thought it did so it’s quite a bit to take in. Plus I’m used to the old formula of MMOs. “Go kill ten bears”, “Kill this boss here”. It’s nice to have something to play that is different. Refreshing.

I agree with the post you quoted. Personally I don’t even touch the personal story anymore until my characters have hit max level (80) and have world complete. This really helps to keep the story alive and a continuous experience when you do finally get to it. All the extra skills and such that you have by this time really helps you to tackle some of the harder parts of the storyline and in the long run too I’m sure you get a lot more experience etc from doing them this way.

The only downside is that 99% of the rewards you will have no use for. In the end this does not matter much tho as from about level 20 onwards pretty much 99% of the quest rewards are useless. You even stop getting gold after level 10 I believe as I think they had intended for the 1st 10 levels were to help you gear up for the bigger world to do events/map completes where you are to make the rest of the cash.

Anywho good luck and welcome!

PS I would recommend clearing all the city maps and other level 1-15 zones before moving onto the 15+ maps as this will have you well above level to easily face the maps you will be facing. This is especially needed these days as you will find 99% of the maps pretty much dead and without a lot of help so you need to be ready to solo things especially groups as this becomes more of a factor in the higher level maps.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Crayonmuffin.1473

I’m starting to clear the beginning areas. Getting it down now. Another question I had though: When you create your character and choose your armor colors, do those colors affect any armor you get throughout the game or will you be able to change them later? Was wondering because I just realized my color scheme is the same even though I’ve gotten new stuff lol

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

I’m starting to clear the beginning areas. Getting it down now. Another question I had though: When you create your character and choose your armor colors, do those colors affect any armor you get throughout the game or will you be able to change them later? Was wondering because I just realized my color scheme is the same even though I’ve gotten new stuff lol

You get a basic set of dyes you can use on any armour and you can collect new dyes and add them to your character’s pallet so you can use it on all your armour from then on as well.

What happened for you is that you choose your colour scheme and those colours are in your standard dye pool, so it automatically copied the same scheme to your new armour, but you can change colouring at any time.

Just use the colouring icon above your armour in your hero screen.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Wesnoth.1705

Wesnoth.1705

There is option to dye armour in character panel, just look more carefully in it. You can also buy new, different dyes

What you must learn in gw2 is to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6npO-NoOPOg

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

You can buy dyes or open unidentified dyes that will unlock colors to use for that character. The dye can be used infinetely once unlocked, but they are bound to a single character (sadly not acc bound :P). You can open your character armor panel and then click on the little brush at the top left to swap to dye-mode. By default, when you first equip an item it’s dyes will match what your previous armor had in that slot.

Crayonmuffin.1473

Alright cool. Was confusing me. Probably the number one thing I like about this game(so far) is that the community has so far been nice, unlike most online games out there.

Vayne.8563

With dye armor, I love that however you dye your armor will apply to any armor you put on. But you can always redye it for free.

The thing to remember is that dyes do drop in game, so you’ll get more. One you unlock them on a character you can use them forever. Same for the ones you buy from the trading post or the cash shop. Any way you look at it, once a dye is unlocked you can use it forever on that character.

Also remember the same dye can look different on different materials.

Crayonmuffin.1473

Does anything you do in the game affect pvp at all? Or is pvp just its own separate world basically?

Vayne.8563

Does anything you do in the game affect pvp at all? Or is pvp just its own separate world basically?

There’s two types of PvP. There’s WvW which uses your PvE charater and there’s SPvP which is it’s own world.

For WvW though your health and armor are upped to 80th level you only have the skills and traits you’ve unlocked. In SPvP everything is unlocked for free for everyone. And you can play it pretty much as soon as you finish the tutorial.

Posted by: Apolyon.6937

Apolyon.6937

There are two types of PvP, you have Structured PvP and World vs World vs World.

sPvP is a completely different world. You get leveled up to 80 automatically, and you get new PvP specific gear for free. You also get a new currency called Glory that you can use to get new skins (randomly). You can access sPvP clicking in the icon with two swords crossed in the top left corner of your screen.

WvWvW is like open world PvP, you compete with your PvE character, armor and weapons. You can access WvWvW pressing B, and then selecting one of the 4 maps available.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

There’s 3 forms of PvP at the moment and to answer your question really is different for 2 of the different forms.

Form 1 is WvW which auto bumps you to level 80 to play it but you will only have access to what you have access to in PvE with regards to skills and equipment. Also it should be said here that anything you do in WvW effects you in PvE, meaning you can level up here and gain skills/equipment. Some people actually prefer to level here as it can be a ton of fun.

Forms 2 and 3 are sPvP, tPvP and any competitive minigames they continue to add to the game. These forms are totally separate from PvE and WvW and you can look at these forms as their own sort of game.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: RainbowSyrup.4130

RainbowSyrup.4130

run around and explore the zone you are in, I guarantee you that you will find many dynamic events to do. It’s one of the few MMOs that actually rewards you for exploring.

’’I’m sad hanar can’t wear sweaters’’
-Grunt

(edited by RainbowSyrup.4130)

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

I used to play MMO games all the time. WoW, Allods, RoM, Tera even. GW2 looked to be actually unique

Only at first.

Vayne.8563

I used to play MMO games all the time. WoW, Allods, RoM, Tera even. GW2 looked to be actually unique

Only at first.

It’s still unique to me. The stuff that made it unique at first hasn’t left the game.

The only reason it’s not as unique is because other games are no doing the same stuff Guild Wars 2 is doing.