Just too many contested waypoints in orr

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: sadatoni.6524

sadatoni.6524

Title says it all. Can’t get to where I want to go, the waypoint is always contested. As are many of them.

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

Try getting a team together or getting the server more organised to complete event chains and actually hold them rather than farming Penitent Waypoint.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: Bob.5732

Bob.5732

I feel your pain. I’m a lone wolf type of player and the straits of devastation is really hard to get through. The re-spawn rate is fast enough that shortly after you clear an area they pop right back up behind you. If you run into a bad situation it’s hard to run away because they’ve respawned right behind you.

For me I’ve conceded to the fact that I’m not going to get hardly any vistas or skill points from that zone. I’m just happy to have made it through there once to get to melchoir’s leap.

Posted by: PearlGore.7419

PearlGore.7419

Theres to many contested WP everywhere, It’s just to easy to lose them. Clearing mobs around them should = free WP.

Posted by: kishter.9578

kishter.9578

thats why i say they should remove all the WP from orr and make us easy to explorer, anyway we never used because contested. just remove them all

We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. No one enjoys that.

Posted by: TheBlueI.3486

TheBlueI.3486

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

At least they made some of the waypoints permanently uncontested a few updates ago. So there is that.

Be thankful for small mercies.

Posted by: Tengu.4209

Tengu.4209

As a Solo-Thief, I found that I only had to get a group for a few of the WP/PoIs/Vistas…I didn’t have that big of a problem in Orr, but with that said, I used Stealth…ALOT…

Devona’s Rest – [Tsuk]
Ajini – Thief – Commander

Posted by: Strahli.5098

Strahli.5098

Can’t get to where I want to go, the waypoint is always contested.

? do u have to run from lions-arch?
if not, where is the problem? Orr is a war-zone, unlike Queensdale… ^^ I like it very much, to see that!
If u need to get to a waypoint that is contested, just take the next and run

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

TBH I only find 1 explorer point on SoD that i could not get when soloing.. the Skill challenge up the top multi stepped area with the catapults firing at you and lots of those risen whippy things… the skill challenge is guarded by 3 or 4 vet risen and endless stream of respawning mobs… with a group of 3 it can be face rolled in 60secs though, so no biggy.

Posted by: Wooboost.8527

Wooboost.8527

What server are you on? Imo this not the case on JQ, yea there are a few (the usual ones, always been like that) but its not a big deal. You just wp to closest to where you want and run there. Maybe try guesting. Oooo ic, you must be a Mesmer…

Posted by: Sokar Rostau.7316

Sokar Rostau.7316

What server are you on? Imo this not the case on JQ, yea there are a few (the usual ones, always been like that) but its not a big deal. You just wp to closest to where you want and run there. Maybe try guesting. Oooo ic, you must be a Mesmer…

“Try guesting” is not a solution. Why should a player that is on Eredon Terrance (one of the lowest ranked WvW servers without the population to put up a fight), for example, have to play on Jade Quarry (the top WvW server with full 24 hour coverage) to enjoy the content?

Another problem is that many of the events that have the WPs contested are clearly Group Events, but they are not listed as GE and, obviously, do not give any such rewards. Either the events need to be down-scaled so that they can be solo’d or they need to be upgraded to full Group Events with appropriate rewards. I favour the latter, if only to get people away from the same handful of places.

Dragonbrand – Reforged Vanguard [ReVa]
Kyxha 80 Ranger, Sokar 80 Necro
Niobe 80 Guardian, Symbaoe 45 Ele

Posted by: Wooboost.8527

Wooboost.8527

Why would a player not use the features available to them? Sounds like a first world problem. Last time I checked it takes about 10 seconds to guest. I agree about some events need changing and it would be nice to not have so many wp’s contested, but I make do until then.

Posted by: weasleye.2540

weasleye.2540

orr is kittenely hard to do on your own, they should make the respawns much longer or at least let you use the waypoints? what the hell is the point of having them if they are always contested

Posted by: Delilah.8239

Delilah.8239

Seriously arenanet?! Its no fun anymore, this nearly makes me want to stop playing gw.
If i take WEEKS trying to find ONE server where the f** waypoint isnt contested is really annoying…
Im working on mapcompletition and its a pain with whole orr being constant event zone. Its no fun to explore the beautiful gw world if you constantly get slaughterd by some super strong mobs.
If you cant get skillpoints because its again like on every other day contested.
the word contested became the most annoying word ive ever read on gw by now.
Please change it….

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Is Orr really that hard? It’s supposed to be difficult to get through. There are some group events that are impossible to solo, but they are group events after all.

Cursed Shore’s like my favorite zone to complete on my characters. The main problem is those contested temples right? The middle zone does kinda suck with its odd terrain though.

There are however, some really bad spots. Ancourage WP because the Warmaster Chan event is stupid and thus requires you to rambo in there, and the Arah wp is bad too.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: FLiP.7680

FLiP.7680

Seriously arenanet?! Its no fun anymore, this nearly makes me want to stop playing gw.
If i take WEEKS trying to find ONE server where the f** waypoint isnt contested is really annoying…
Im working on mapcompletition and its a pain with whole orr being constant event zone. Its no fun to explore the beautiful gw world if you constantly get slaughterd by some super strong mobs.
If you cant get skillpoints because its again like on every other day contested.
the word contested became the most annoying word ive ever read on gw by now.
Please change it….

7 months…

Orr is ok, the problem is that players think they should be able to kill risen just like the boars in QD.

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

Why should a player that is on Eredon Terrance (one of the lowest ranked WvW servers without the population to put up a fight), for example, have to play on Jade Quarry (the top WvW server with full 24 hour coverage) to enjoy the content?

You don’t. I got 100% map completion on a support ele build with very little help (outside of wvw because lol wvw map%) on yaks bend during the dead hours of early est time (2-5 am). This is more of learn to play issue and avoid mobs you need not even fight. Guesting to higher population servers just makes things easier if you die.

Mapping orr takes significantly less time than other zones unless you suck at jumping for the vistas. 2/3rds of orr is running around grabbing waypoints, pois, channel skill points and mining. I’d say you could probably map out cursed shore 2 or 3 times before you finish mapping lornars.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

This again …

I solo explored all of Orr on a ranger back when Orr was actually difficult!

There were more mobs, faster spawns, with larger aggro range. There were very few places where you could stop without being mobbed, and you had to plan every point a to b run you wanted to do.

After Orr was nerfed into oblivion, it is no harder than being down-scaled in a mid-level map.

You can run though most of Orr without having to kill a single mob! I know this because I recently ran a new lvl 80 necro all the way through SoD to Dwayna temple in ML and then on to Gavbeorn’s Waypoint in CS without having to kill a single mob …

Sorry, but I have no sympathy for anyone having difficulty with this.

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

(edited by bri.2359)

Posted by: Escadin.9482

Escadin.9482

lmao

Well that’s what happens if you try to “solve traveling” with WP and try to set up immersion and story at the same time – they collide.

Edit: Wtf I didn’t notice this is a zombie thread….

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

/story

I remember going to Orr for the first time. I just finished Bloodtide Coast, which was very difficult as the pirates hit quite hard, and was following my personal story. I encountered Risen pirates on the coast, which could pretty much 3 shot me and underwater combat was serious business. I still managed however. I thought Orr was hard.

After being there for several hours, I decided to go back to Lion’s Arch to finish crafting (tailor/jewel) and get myself some new gear. I went from varied level 40-60 blues/greens to level 80 rare magic find gear. I went back to Orr to find that it was actually easy. After living in Orr for months (I used to solo all the events including Dwayna, Grenth and the catacombs), I found the culling of Orr because of player travel complaints a joke. Those anchors never hit me.

I never had a waypoint problem because I never used them.

/theend

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

Orr is no more difficult then any other map.

It’s more annoying – sure , I will give you that. But, It’s not any harder as most mobs you simply can run by.

The problem with Orr is it is poorly designed. The mobs do have more hps and are more densely packed but their is no incentive to kill these mobs. Most people when farming nodes just run by them and keep going.

As I said – Orr is a design experiment gone wrong but it’s hardly difficult.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: Delilah.8239

Delilah.8239

YOu’re totally missing my point.
I play an ele, that means i get speedbuffs, shields and all of that and having done arah over 50 times i know how to use them well and also how to run through mobs, thats NOT theproblem.
They are strong, yes and thats cool. every game needs hard parts, i love arah and also path 4.
The problem is that you cannot, no matter how strong, access certain areas without a huge group.
There is that lone post gate, i’ve been trying for weeks to get through to get to a point of interest which im missing for world completion and it is always closed (closed as in a huge door, not as in hard mobs) because of a contest on every server… and yea its a game not for one person,. but even a decent party of 5 cant beat a huge champ.
and somehow noone seems to be doing the orr events anymore.
Or the skillpoints of the statues, you cant get the skillpoint until its not contested because it spawns some weird poison stuff which stops you from “communicating with the place of power”, really no fun :/

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

The only problem I have with these contested waypoints is that some of them become re-contested too soon. It gets to the point where reclaiming the area by doing the sequence of events hardly seems worth it. For the waypoint at the Temple of Balthazar there’s a real incentive there; you can buy obsidian shards for 2100 karma each. THAT makes it worthwhile. Half the other crap it’s like… why bother? I’d rather just put autorun on and spend 2 mins travelling to it than waste my time clearing trash (unrewarding mobs).

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

There is that lone post gate, i’ve been trying for weeks to get through to get to a point of interest which im missing for world completion and it is always closed (closed as in a huge door, not as in hard mobs) because of a contest on every server… and yea its a game not for one person,. but even a decent party of 5 cant beat a huge champ.

Ahem

Is that a challenge?

Tell me the name of the champ and I’ll upload a solo clip of it. So far the only two champs that I can think of that I had to give up trying to solo were…
1) Champion risen megalodon (I can obviously rifle it from the shore but that takes no skill)
2) some champion noble priestess in Malchor’s leap (I think it’s the one that precedes the Eye of Zhaitan, which ironically, I have solod several times with relative ease.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Yea…this is just one of the many reasons I hate this zone.

I think they aimed to make Orr be ‘difficult’ content, but they just made it annoying.