Just wanted to Know As to WHY WE CANT

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: zoopop.5630

zoopop.5630

share 100% map completion on all are characters instead of having to do it over and over again on new characters? I find this to be annoying, and ridiculous at times. I haven’t hit 100% yet due to switching around on different classes time to time or not able to play all the time. However at times i cant even do certain events on a class i want to play due to not having the way points because he or she hasn’t reached that area yet. I just don’t get this couldn’t be a account bound type of thing?

Why is it because they wanted us to put in an effort to it? I mean If i don’t Craft, or Pve besides do certain events at times why should i have to keep getting the same points over and over? Only few things i See at times that are fun to do are Spvp/WvW/GvG which is why i don’t bother doing anything else but when I do it’s beyond a hassle to do anything due to the lack of way points on my alts.

Has this been brought up by Anet before? If so what have they said about it?

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

What if you want to have 3 legendaries?
Also, some people like map completion.
When I leveled most of my alts back in the day I was a pure PvE player and EotM wasn’t around anyway, so I leveled by getting as many waypoints as possible – my usual level 80 character would have 420 waypoints and 35% map completion. I think 420 of ~450 is good and it goes pretty fast actually – and WPs is all you need (for now, in the future you’ll also need skillpoints)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I would hate for it to be account bound. I find it a really enjoyable experience for each alt.

The only way it could possibly work is to be optional, but are there any mmos which unlock the whole of the map once played through on one toon?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I did it for each of my 80s. It was a goal, something I knew I would do from day one, have each char have the map 100%.

This was before EOTM, tomes and writs though, when playing the game was the main way to get to level 80.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: zoopop.5630

zoopop.5630

I wouldn’t mind having to pay, i Just dont Pve as much as i use to. Maybe when HoT out i might do some more? ya 50% map completion seems good but meh when i have 3-10% on my other toons it doesn’t feel as good.

Posted by: MeGaZlo.9516

MeGaZlo.9516

It is illogical and impossible. Imagine that in some ordinary MMO all quests will share at account. Simply put: creating of twinks will be meaningless, leveling will become a “grind-only”, and the lion’s share of the gameplay will be unavailable forever.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

You don’t need to do all map exploration again, just run with your other toons to get some key WPs and done.
Map exploration is character bound for a few reasons:

• Leveling new toons
  • For the same reward opportunities with new characters
  • Crafting extra legendaries
Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I wouldn’t mind having to pay, i Just dont Pve as much as i use to. Maybe when HoT out i might do some more? ya 50% map completion seems good but meh when i have 3-10% on my other toons it doesn’t feel as good.

Ignoring waypoints for a short moment, is it a big problem that your alts have low map completions? Or is it just that number in the log-in screen which annoys you?

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I enjoy map completion.

I’ve almost completed my 8th character with map completion. Just got Cursed Shore, Hoelbrak & The Black Citadel to go.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

but meh when i have 3-10% on my other toons it doesn’t feel as good.

This is the problem with ‘Power’ levelling.

People who ignore map completion as a way of levelling and go to EotM or wherever else have made rods for their own backs.

You can easily get 25% – 40% map completion if you’d levelled via map completing instead of the popular, ‘short term quick fixes’ to levelling.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

This is the problem with ‘Power’ levelling.

People who ignore map completion as a way of levelling and go to EotM or wherever else have made rods for their own backs.

You can easily get 25% – 40% map completion if you’d levelled via map completing instead of the popular, ‘short term quick fixes’ to levelling.

Yup! My 12 characters(minus the one i just created yesterday) have all been leveled in PVE, with dungeons as well, but mostly pure map exploration, all have 30-50% done by the time they get to 80!

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Has there ever been an MMO released where you can have everything unlocked on any new character once you’ve completed it on another? I can’t think of one…

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Can you imagine as a PvP/WvW/GvG player how annoying it is to do map completion every time you need a legendary? Every time I tell myself: never again! But then there is nothing else to do than make legendaries until the expansion is out.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Why stop there, why not make every character lvl 80, all traits unlocked, all equipment acquired copied, when you have it on another character? Why not give the gold reward for dungeons automatically every day once you have proven that you can finish all paths? Why not put the same amount of resources you farmed into every other characters bags?

It is part of the game to complete maps. If you remove every content from the game another character of yours has already done, then there would be a lot less to do, less play time, less active accounts. That´s how MMORPG work and for good reason, no dev can keep up with players when it comes to content consumption. If you feel the time is wasted, well, then stick to your one character. I have never seen someone play through a “normal” game, then restart it and demand the content already done should be removed, just skip to the credits please.

Posted by: Greyhound.2058

Greyhound.2058

I enjoy map completion.

I’ve almost completed my 8th character with map completion. Just got Cursed Shore, Hoelbrak & The Black Citadel to go.

Yeh, I love it too Honestly, even after all this time, and previous completions, I still make surprising discoveries I’m a natural explorer lol

Posted by: SyllyReth.2495

SyllyReth.2495

I have a love/hate relationship with map completion. I love it as long as I don’t try to push out 100% in one day, which I can sometimes get wrapped up in. I do my best when I actually focus on what’s around me (especially in maps I don’t go to often) and take it leisurely.

If an option ever were to be implemented for OPTIONAL account-wide world completion unlocks, then the players choosing to do so would have to opt out of receiving addition rewards for single maps and the gift at the end. You shouldn’t be rewarded for 0 work. I do map completion and hoard my gifts, but account-wide should only get the reward once.

Unbridled Dynasty [UND]

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Cause this is a MMO and need stuff to keep people busy. Thats why we cant have account bound map completion.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

but account-wide should only get the reward once.

Which would lead to the dilemma that new player x decides he doesn’t want a legendary, so he unlocks the accountwide map exploration (and sells/destroys/gifts his gifts of exploration) and then decides that he does want a legendary (or more than 2) after all.

Edit: Which would basically be me, I always said I never wanted a legendary, now I’ve got 2 am in progress to make the third, have crafted one for a friend and have got 2 spare precursers I might or might not finish.

I’m not too keen tocomplete the maps on my third char, but I think it’s good there was no such option when I was a rookie.

(edited by Jana.6831)

Posted by: ExtraCosmic.9082

ExtraCosmic.9082

Can you imagine as a PvP/WvW/GvG player how annoying it is to do map completion every time you need a legendary?

That’s kind of the point, that some effort be exerted to get a legendary. If you’re thinking of them in “every time you need one” terms, they’re likely proving pretty easy for you to get as is.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I like doing map completion and I’m getting close to having all of my characters with 100% (currently working on #16).

I think it would be silly to have map completion account wide anyways as I consider it as part of my character’s personal progression.

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

Why stop there, why not make every character lvl 80, all traits unlocked, all equipment acquired copied, when you have it on another character? Why not give the gold reward for dungeons automatically every day once you have proven that you can finish all paths? Why not put the same amount of resources you farmed into every other characters bags?

It is part of the game to complete maps. If you remove every content from the game another character of yours has already done, then there would be a lot less to do, less play time, less active accounts. That´s how MMORPG work and for good reason, no dev can keep up with players when it comes to content consumption. If you feel the time is wasted, well, then stick to your one character. I have never seen someone play through a “normal” game, then restart it and demand the content already done should be removed, just skip to the credits please.

Please get over yourself as soon as possible, and quit whining. If someone wants an option to skip map completion, what harm does it do to you? Some people find that after finishing 100% on even their 4th character it becomes completely mind numbing. Some people like it so much doing it for the 18th time is great. Good for you. For other people, who wish to make that decision for themselves, there is absolutely, positively nothing wrong with their being an option for creating a new character that, after completing 100% once previously, provides an option to start with a 100% open map so long as they understand they will receive no rewards. It’s not EZ mode, it’s not instant 80, instant exotic gear, etc. I don’t understand why people get so up in arms when someone else states they’d like to skip map completion. Worry about yourselves and complete your map 46 times if you want.

(edited by Woljnir.7810)

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

share 100% map completion on all are characters instead of having to do it over and over again on new characters? I find this to be annoying, and ridiculous at times. I haven’t hit 100% yet due to switching around on different classes time to time or not able to play all the time. However at times i cant even do certain events on a class i want to play due to not having the way points because he or she hasn’t reached that area yet. I just don’t get this couldn’t be a account bound type of thing?

Why is it because they wanted us to put in an effort to it? I mean If i don’t Craft, or Pve besides do certain events at times why should i have to keep getting the same points over and over? Only few things i See at times that are fun to do are Spvp/WvW/GvG which is why i don’t bother doing anything else but when I do it’s beyond a hassle to do anything due to the lack of way points on my alts.

Because it’s s required to make a legendary. Deal with it. Anything else you want handed to you? I mean really, if you don’t want to do it all over again don’t. Stop making alts, there’s a lot you can do to avoid this problem.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

(edited by BrotherBelial.3094)

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Just on this point. You don’t craft, or play PvE. So why should you get map completion for all your characters? It’s not like you are going to be doing anything with them anyway.

Just curious

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

I guess it would be nice if maybe there were a handful of special Waypoints (maybe one in each map?) that was account-unlocked when you discover it. At least then you wouldn’t have to worry about whether your alts can get anywhere, if your guild is doing missions or something.

But I don’t think 100% of everything should be account-unlocked just because one of your characters has done it. Sure, maybe you have 10+ alts and it would be a chore to get 100% map completion on all of them — but why would you need to even do that? It’s not necessary.

Has there ever been an MMO released where you can have everything unlocked on any new character once you’ve completed it on another? I can’t think of one…

I can’t think of another MMO I’ve played that even comes close to GW2’s amount of features/items/achievements that are account-bound or unlocked across all characters. I think for most other games, they are still struggling to even recognize the concept.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

It would really destroy your levelling experience now would it?

I have 16 lvl 80’s 9 with full map, 8 of them done with the old system, including WvW

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I would MUCH rather have the map be an account unlock. I’m the the one experiencing the maps, not the pixels. Once done, I really have no desire to have to experience unlocking them over and over, again and again. Being force to unlock them in such a fashion is a tedious grind. I have over 40 characters so I’m well aware of how much of a grind fest it is. Those characters are spread over several accounts though. So I’d still need to unlock the map per account.

When it comes to account unlocks, the next issue is crafting. Recipes should be account unlocks, not character. If all the recipes in the game were readily available, I may say otherwise. But, when you feel you can’t reroll a character just for some recipes, that’s not a good design.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Is this about map unlock or a sideways way of asking about waypoint unlock?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

There would be too much to re-engineer in this game if you made exploration account wide. For instance there would be a limit of 2 legendary weapons per account, skill points, which are getting redone soon, would have to be redone yet again. There are also advantages to revisiting areas in terms of encountering dynamic events, as most people will only see about half of them on their first run through of map exploration.

One possible solution is to either make one waypoint per map unlockable account wide, or to make all waypoints, but nothing else, account wide unlockable. That way you still get mobility, but getting the Gift of Exploration is non-trivial still. I would favour the first option and would suggest that it be the Waypoint closest to a World Boss event, and this waypoint is unlocked account wide by completing the World Boss event. Having said that, there are many, many things I would rather see the devs put time into first.

(edited by Cormac.3871)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Why should 100% map completion be shared given that only a single character completes the map each time? I don’t enjoy map completion myself, but I don’t see the need to change the current system. I like getting rewarded for completing a map occasionally and I have a bunch of friends who love completion to the point of redoing it over and over again.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Kharlus.3612

Kharlus.3612

People used to play Lineage 2 or similar mmos, would probably agree that GW2 mechanics is heaven comparing them in difficulty means. The account bounded items is just fine to me. Not too much, not too few.

IMO character bound map is also ok.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

While I think map completion should be left as is for those interested in getting legendaries, I do think they need to make the upcoming “hero points” (the skill point replacement) account wide. I’m going through the process of running my alts through maps to collect the skill points so that I can unlock all my abilites and traits. It’s bloody miserable. I hate it. It’s fine for me to do that on one character, but to do it over and over again on alts is awful. And it’s something I should NOT have to do. Currently if I level my alts in WvW and primarily use them there I can unlock all my abilities without stepping foot in PVE. With this new system my WvW alts will now be forced into PVE even to unlock things I ALREADY have unlocked on top of the new elite spec (which is pretty ridiculous).

This game has always had a play the way you want thing going for it. It’s also always been very alt friendly. This new system is going against this. Now in order to get my abilities I HAVE to do PVE. And I have to unlock these things on every single character. Please Anet consider something better for the hero point system.

Posted by: Artanis.4963

Artanis.4963

I don’t think map completion should be an account reward.

What I do think is that any icon revealed by one character on an account should cause that icon to be revealed on the maps of all characters on the account. Other characters still have to run over to discover the region, POI, view the vista, unlock the waypoint, or complete the hero point or renown heart, but when you look at the map, you can at least see the location.