Just...wow....

Just...wow....

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Pickles.9436

Pickles.9436

So, although people bought gw2 for cheap to get into the game, they could’ve waited this whole time to just buy the expansion and get the core game for free….

Just wow….

As for people who bought the game from the beginning, we basically are buying the whole game all over again.

I don’t think words can express how much of a rip off this is…

Just...wow....

Posted by: Drakonath.7096

Drakonath.7096

+1 allll day long

Just...wow....

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

If they waited “this whole time” just to buy the expansion, some people who are overly critical about ingame exclusivity would have lost out on ingame items either now too expensive or no longer in circulation.

But yea, the price is rather steep. Most I’ve ever spent on (newly released) expansions (non mmo) is $30 tops with no core included.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Just...wow....

Posted by: Pepsi.8907

Pepsi.8907

Forcing players to buy a product they already own to get a newer version of said product is called “tying” and is totally illegal… so… yeah.
Though it does says that it includes the base version, so I’m not sure it’s really tying in this case, but still…

Just...wow....

Posted by: ham.8209

ham.8209

So, although people bought gw2 for cheap to get into the game, they could’ve waited this whole time to just buy the expansion and get the core game for free….

Just wow….

As for people who bought the game from the beginning, we basically are buying the whole game all over again.

that is not noting more then a lie and is not true . as with guild wars one when you bought any of the packs you got that game only . but if you want to go to the other parts of the game you had to buy all the packs same for Guild wars 2 with this pack tho you got to have the main game and you do not buy the HOT pack and get the Guild Wars 2 game that is just not going to happen Anet does not roll like that

Just...wow....

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

The $50 fee includes a key to the base game, which is what, $40?

Probably a $10-20 expansion as an upgrade. They’ve only released the info for new account packages.

Just...wow....

ham.8209

If they waited “this whole time” just to buy the expansion, some people who are overly critical about ingame exclusivity would have lost out on ingame items either now too expensive or no longer in circulation.

But yea, the price is rather steep. Most I’ve ever spent on (newly released) expansions (non mmo) is $30 tops with no core included.

with Anet the price has always been $50.00 for the add on packs . and if you want the bells and whistles $100.00 the only mmo games that might be $30.00 is wow maybe being it is pay to play .

Just...wow....

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Deceiver….please…

Let’s not lie to ourselves here. This is the pricing for everyone. Period.

Let’s also not forget that while an extra character slot is 10 USD they are selling the version of this expansion for 75 USD, or basically 25 dollars more than the standard version without an additional character slot.

And no, that other nonsense in game cosmetic fluff is not worth the additional 15 dollars there. The slot should have been a part of the standard package, but hey greed wins out again I guess.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Just...wow....

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Just wow….

Not sure what you’re complaining about. If you don’t want to pay for HoT, you can still play the core game without spending anymore money. I’m getting the HoT Ultimate just because.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Just...wow....

Posted by: Yppah.2157

Yppah.2157

Probably a $10-20 expansion as an upgrade. They’ve only released the info for new account packages.

I wish that was the case and not what they’re showing in game in the gem store as well.
In the gem store is says it’s core game + HoT for $50.

…Because for some reason I need purchase the core game as well while I’m in the game purchasing their expansion?

Attachments:

Just...wow....

Posted by: Batelle.1680

Batelle.1680

The EP is $50, and people who pre-purchase it get the base game for free. It’s a marketing ploy to attract new players and it’s only a rip-off if you consider the three years of game time, temporary story and event content, and free living story content to be < the price you paid for the game originally.

Just...wow....

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

with Anet the price has always been $50.00 for the add on packs . and if you want the bells and whistles $100.00 the only mmo games that might be $30.00 is wow maybe being it is pay to play .

The price was 50 for GW1 expansions because they were stand alone games that included character slots…. This is just a rip off.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

Just...wow....

ham.8209

The price was 50 for GW1 expansions because they were stand alone games that included character slots…. This is just a rip off.

yes that is true to a point . but yet if you wanted to go to cantha or to eye of the north then you had to have them packs . and it might be to you but to make not so much

Just...wow....

Posted by: Weylin.6478

Weylin.6478

Can I at least give the base game to a friend and acquire the expansion part?

Just...wow....

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Deceiver….please…

Let’s not lie to ourselves here. This is the pricing for everyone. Period.

Let’s also not forget that while an extra character slot is 10 USD they are selling the version of this expansion for 75 USD, or basically 25 dollars more than the standard version without an additional character slot.

And no, that other nonsense in game cosmetic fluff is not worth the additional 15 dollars there. The slot should have been a part of the standard package, but hey greed wins out again I guess.

I already had no intention on buying the expansion pack unless it truly wowed me and the price is right. I refuse to pre-order or do anything of the sort until I have a solid understanding of exactly what I’m getting. I hate hype. And ANet seems to love hyping things up.

But frankly, this move is just bad business logic. ANet has enough money-grabbing economists and corporate financial advisers to understand this would cut massively into profits not too far down the road, and make a ton of people just leave the game altogether from bad business, especially as other games are coming out around the corner this fall.

This is absolutely a money-grab to get people to pay the $50 for the beta access/rush pre-purchase and the expansion itself as add-on content will probably go on sale for substantially less afterwards.

If it doesn’t? Then ANet will see a substantial drop in profits and user activity very soon. No sweat off my back. Frankly, I hope we see more bleepslaps and players as a whole start holding companies accountable more per the style of paid mods for Skyrim on Steam.

We’ve barely got any info and people are complaining, though.

I also think it’s hilarious since so many people were crying for a paid expansion, many of which are now crying about the paid expansion being unwanted and bringing in bad content. They’ve been blind for the past few years obviously as the game has slowly gotten corrupted by sub-par updates and typical MMO-business practices.

There’s still not enough information to start raising a skrittstorm, though.

Just...wow....

Posted by: Stormbolt.7293

Stormbolt.7293

I think Anet might have actually lost E3 this year. Everything else presented has been met with critical acclaim. Anet’s is the only announcement that has sparked outrage.

Just...wow....

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

It’s just pretty apparent now they’re leaving out the majority of peeps who already have a modest sum of ‘bells and whistles’ in the dark and rather cater to new players.

Taking care of the prominent player-base is what it should be since they’ve played the past 2+ years and don’t forget the die-hard fans, versus pulling new people and tempting them into digging deep in their wallets.

Bleh, was gonna go on longer but I’ll cut to the chase.

2+ years = plenty of bells and whistles to be had, and not having an option to upgrade, while including a slot to accommodate a major feature of the expansion is just making everyone who already has the game feel pretty inferior. Not to mention the price tag.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Just...wow....

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

I think Anet might have actually lost E3 this year. Everything else presented has been met with critical acclaim. Anet’s is the only announcement that has sparked outrage.

Not to derail the thread but I was hoping for a little more from Elite Dangerous.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

Just...wow....

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

The EP is $50, and people who pre-purchase it get the base game for free. It’s a marketing ploy to attract new players and it’s only a rip-off if you consider the three years of game time, temporary story and event content, and free living story content to be < the price you paid for the game originally.

Yeah, it is less value and a rip-off.

Not because of the relative amount of time I’ve sunk into it, but simply because its way above the market standard.

I’ve never seen an “expansion” priced at the same level or more than the base game, in any genre or platform.

If ANet wants to attract more players, and is tossing the base game in for free, that’s great! But that’s not what is happening. Even without the core game, and based on what has been revealed (and assuming its released this year) there is no WAY that HoT’s value can be priced at the same point as a standard AAA PC title.

Hell, to access the BLTC, you have to already be in game which means the “free” core game is useless to you. It makes for great economic sense if enough fools buy it without thinking, but it makes zero logical sense to ask players who’ve sunk years of play time and money/gems into ongoing development to pay the same for an expansion that new players are paying for the expansion+core+player based beta testing and balancing.

Yes, we’re only talking about $50 to $100 here, and unless you’re on a really tight budget, fiscally speaking that’s not a big deal. However it DOES set a precedent that allows ANet to keep re-selling their old content as “bonuses” for new players each time a new expansion comes out, and claiming that its free when it really isn’t. And that’s a bad deal for every single loyal player.

Just...wow....

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

yes that is true to a point . but yet if you wanted to go to cantha or to eye of the north then you had to have them packs . and it might be to you but to make not so much

50 dollars is a fair price for a separate game with character slots. This expansion is less content than the Eye of the North release which only cost $35. You can buy it if you want but don’t fool yourself into believing you aren’t being ripped off.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

Just...wow....

Posted by: Kezika.7692

Kezika.7692

Just wow….

that is not noting more then a lie and is not true . as with guild wars one when you bought any of the packs you got that game only . but if you want to go to the other parts of the game you had to buy all the packs same for Guild wars 2 with this pack tho you got to have the main game and you do not buy the HOT pack and get the Guild Wars 2 game that is just not going to happen Anet does not roll like that

Except for the fact that it very clearly states on the pre-purchase page that the Standard $49.99 edition “includes Guild Wars 2 core game”

Also if as you claim you have to purchase the base game separately please show me where one would purchase the base game separately because ANet replaced the old purchase page for the base game with the pre-purchase page for Heart of Thorns and it is currently not possible to buy just the base game through guildwars2.com anywhere as you claim that one would need to do to be able to play Heart of Thorns.

I fail to understand why the price is a surprise for anyone. $50 is pretty standard MMO expac faire, and the inclusion of previous editions is nothing new. WoW does this as well. You only have to buy the latest expansion pack, and not all of the expansion packs. This is basically the same thing. Just a small bonus for new customer to help entice them into getting the game and bolstering the player community. New customer only special offers abound in the retail world and this is nothing new or different.

Just...wow....

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The GW1 campaigns were priced at $59.99, which is the standard for new games. The campaigns were not considered to be expansions, but standalone games. EotN was the only actual expansion and priced at $34.99. $49.99 is the standard price for an expansion.

Just...wow....

Posted by: Vanive.3804

Vanive.3804

I feel this is highway robbery on the part of anet. I was hoping for a character slot if I’m gonna drop $50(which I feel is too much based on the amount of content we are getting). Not pleased, voting with my wallet and I refuse to buy this expac.

Just...wow....

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Its not a marketing ploy. You can’t play the xpac without the core game.

Its a rude slap in he face/money grab for every single veteran player.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Just...wow....

Posted by: Sindex.9520

Sindex.9520

I am not surprised actually. In all honesty they never cared about veteran players. The only thing Arena Net cares about is player turn over. It used to be we get stand alone expansion that were probably worth the purchase alone. Guess what I am doing about this one? Waiting for the review now. After seeing everything that happened recently with all the pre-order, season pass, and dlc scams. I am hold off on HoT till I see a review of how much content is really in this expansion. As well as find out they made a better fight for the end game. Considering how the zhaitan fight was in the core game of GW2

Since I doubt it will be anything like standalone campaigns we got with Factions or Nightfall for the original GW1. Plus you do realize if they keep this up an expansion for every dragon will be way over anything we ever payed for in GW1.

Just...wow....

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

So . . . how much do we love paying for an expansion now as opposed to getting Living Story and content updates for free? Man, it’s like some posters had a crystal ball when they foresaw this one.

Props to those who saw it coming.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

Just...wow....

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

I think I’ll pick up HoT three months after release for $9.99.

All I’ll miss out on is one title, one skin, and one mini. Given the amount of content they’ve shown, I should be able to blast through the content in short order, since it is only three maps. Heck, if I can do world completion relatively quickly of the base game, HoT should take an afternoon at most.

Then its off to grind mastery points. Sure, other players will have a three month headstart, but they’re also out an extra $90 for one mini, a glider skin, and a title. Sad.

Just...wow....

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

Oh my god guys I bought the core game 3 years ago for $60.00 and had thousands of hours of entertainment!! Where is my refund now that the core game is “free” for new customers!!?!?! I demand justice!!! Reporting to the BBB and calling up my congressman right now!

Really though, you whiners are pathetic. I expected HoT to be $40-50, and they settled on $50. So what. Get a kittening job or wait for the price to drop. Meanwhile enjoy getting kittened by players with elite specs and missing out on Maguuma and the other stuff.

I bet most of the whiners will end up buying the expac within 1-2 months of it releasing anyway. There are no other good mmorpg now, and Gw2 has been and still is well worth the value. Back in the day people paid $50 for trash games all the time. Nowadays people want everything free or cheap, else they will riot. And we expect more from every game…

Edit: The only valid complaints I can see are that there is no character slot bonus by default, and that they did not give a release date.

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]

(edited by Celtus.8456)

Just...wow....

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Yeah you could’ve waited, but then you wouldn’t have all the mad laurels I’ve been getting from my alt accounts this whole time.

Just...wow....

Posted by: Zoul.1087

Zoul.1087

Oh my god guys I bought the core game 3 years ago for $60.00 and had thousands of hours of entertainment!! Where is my refund now that the core game is “free” for new customers!!?!?! I demand justice!!! Reporting to the BBB and calling up my congressman right now!

Really though, you whiners are pathetic. I expected HoT to be $40-50, and they settled on $50. So what. Get a kittening job or wait for the price to drop. Meanwhile enjoy getting kittened by players with elite specs and missing out on Maguuma and the other stuff.

I bet most of the whiners will end up buying the expac within 1-2 months of it releasing anyway. There are no other good mmorpg now, and Gw2 has been and still is well worth the value. Back in the day people paid $50 for trash games all the time. Nowadays people want everything free or cheap, else they will riot. And we expect more from every game…

Edit: The only valid complaints I can see are that there is no character slot bonus by default, and that they did not give a release date.

Think about the people who bought yesterday and paid $40. They basically wasted $40. Consider this and you would understand why some people are mad.

Just...wow....

Posted by: baylock.1703

baylock.1703

Why every 1 makes new topic and don’t buy expansion if you font like the price.

Just...wow....

Posted by: Ferever.7014

Ferever.7014

Why every 1 makes new topic and don’t buy expansion if you font like the price.

Maybe for dev exposure or vocal minority…or my favorite didn’t check the forums to see one was made?

Just...wow....

Posted by: Huggywuggles.2814

Huggywuggles.2814

Just wow….

I can.

To put it simply: it’s not a rip-off and I’m saying this as one of those players who recently purchased the base game, paid for the platnium upgrade and will most likely buy the expansion pre-order.

But then again, I’m an adult. I understand intrinsically that when I make a purchase at any given time, I’m paying that price. Anet isn’t an “evil corporate entity” or anything of that sort for coming along later on and saying, “Hey new players, if you buy the expansion, you get the base game for free!” They’re smart for putting that promotion out there.

Of course, I’ve also worked over a decade in commission sales and canmot begin to tell you how disgusted I would get at peoe wanting price adjustments after six months because there just happened to be a better deal.

I am a Juicebox Hero. I poke straws in Risen Eyes.

Just...wow....

Posted by: Zoul.1087

Zoul.1087

Just wow….

I can.

To put it simply: it’s not a rip-off and I’m saying this as one of those players who recently purchased the base game, paid for the platnium upgrade and will most likely buy the expansion pre-order.

But then again, I’m an adult. I understand intrinsically that when I make a purchase at any given time, I’m paying that price. Anet isn’t an “evil corporate entity” or anything of that sort for coming along later on and saying, “Hey new players, if you buy the expansion, you get the base game for free!” They’re smart for putting that promotion out there.

Of course, I’ve also worked over a decade in commission sales and canmot begin to tell you how disgusted I would get at peoe wanting price adjustments after six months because there just happened to be a better deal.

There is no “platinum upgrade”.

There are people who bought the game 2+ hours ago who basically now have to pay $90.

Just...wow....

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

There are people who bought the game 2+ hours ago who basically now have to pay $90.

Isn’t that well within Anet’s refund policy ?

Just...wow....

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

It is not a rip off.

Entitled gamers…. lol

CCCP….

Just...wow....

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

So let me buy the xpac for $20-30. I already have the base game.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Just...wow....

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

What about the couple of mates I got to buy it several months back, and start playing, when ANet specifically stated you needed to have the base game first.

Then in like the last hour or two edited thier FAQ to remove this? They are up for another $50, or more if they want goodies.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Just...wow....

Ashen.2907

What about the couple of mates I got to buy it several months back, and start playing, when ANet specifically stated you needed to have the base game first.

Then in like the last hour or two edited thier FAQ to remove this? They are up for another $50, or more if they want goodies.

I honestly don’t know. At one point, if I recall correctly, they offered refunds for purchases within six months.

I doubt it would hurt to ask.

Just...wow....

Posted by: Batelle.1680

Batelle.1680

Anet posted on reddit that they will offer a HoT upgrade for players who just bought the base game. I don’t know what the parameters on those orders are, but it’s something they are doing.

Just...wow....

Posted by: Vanive.3804

Vanive.3804

Anet posted on reddit that they will offer a HoT upgrade for players who just bought the base game. I don’t know what the parameters on those orders are, but it’s something they are doing.

So the longer you have played, the worse deal you get? Sounds about right along the lines with how cell phone /cable satellite companies treat their old customers, new customers always get the best deals. Only problem is, it’s not like you can leave gw2 and then come back. xD This is a news worthy debacle.

Just...wow....

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

It is not a rip off.

Entitled gamers…. lol

True, it isn’t a rip off, but it is odd that they’re not offering better incentives to existing players. The packages are a bit insulting, tbh.

(edited by Jahroots.6791)

Just...wow....

Posted by: Tirien.1326

Tirien.1326

Just wow….

Yeah 50$ for a game you played for 2-3 years and another 50$ to get the expansion and the core game as a BONUS.
You don’t even know what a rip off is, young one.

Just...wow....

Posted by: Mordalus.8146

Mordalus.8146

Just wow….

Yeah 50$ for a game you played for 2-3 years and another 50$ to get the expansion and the core game as a BONUS.

You obviously didn’t support the cash shop. For people that did, this doesn’t seem like such a great value. Anet should discount HoT for cash shop supporters.

Just...wow....

Ashen.2907

Just wow….

You obviously didn’t support the cash shop. For people that did, this doesn’t seem like such a great value. Anet should discount HoT for cash shop supporters.

You got what you paid for every single time you spent money in the cash shop.

That said, I’ve always thought that frequent buyer rewards are a good idea.

Just...wow....

Posted by: funkylovemonkey.3097

funkylovemonkey.3097

Just wow….

Seriously, stop calling it a bonus. It doesn’t mean what you think it means. By definition the core game cannot be a bonus if you already own and paid money for the core game.

Just...wow....

Posted by: Nyx.7342

Nyx.7342

Just wow….

2 years ago:
Anet – Guys we need more money from the cash shop to fund LS please pay us. (disclaimer: we still have no subscription fee)

6 months ago:
Anet- Guys we can’t produce anymore real content until HoT drops. No SAB, no bunny ears or aviators, and no LS. But we will keep releasing cash shop content because we need you to fund HoT and keep us alive. (disclaimer: we still do NOT have a subscription fee)

Today:
Anet- Guys just give us 50$ for half a game please….we promise we will deliver more content and balance updates with no subscription fee. (disclaimer: funding from gem store is not and will not be considered as real funding, but please do continue to purchase gems)

Just...wow....

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

So the longer you have played, the worse deal you get? Sounds about right along the lines with how cell phone /cable satellite companies treat their old customers, new customers always get the best deals. Only problem is, it’s not like you can leave gw2 and then come back. xD This is a news worthy debacle.

Yeah man. kitten , I mean, forget all about those LS episodes and other free kitten they did during the game’s 3 year lifespan that new players will NEVER experience right (unless they pay 200+ gems and even then, it’s not complete).

Just...wow....

Posted by: piza.9310

piza.9310

At first I was happy. Yay, the new expansion. And then I saw the price tags… half of the content hasn’t been revealed, much is unclear and from the looks of it, the expansion isn’t very big. I haven’t played many MMO’s but $50 for an expansion? That seems an awefull lot. I haven’t even payed that much for the base game. Adding the fact that I can’t buy the expansion without the core game seems fairly odd to me. At this point, I need a clarrification on what we are going to get with this expansion if they want me to pre-order this and why we have to pay for the base game.

Just...wow....

Posted by: Pickles.9436

Pickles.9436

Yeah man. kitten , I mean, forget all about those LS episodes and other free kitten they did during the game’s 3 year lifespan that new players will NEVER experience right (unless they pay 200+ gems and even then, it’s not complete).

ohhh….so this $50 tag is paying for the stuff we got for free then? So then…it wasn’t free after all?