Karka Champion and the rich Ori node

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Siofra Crumble.2098

Siofra Crumble.2098

Wasn’t quite sure where to put this, but figured this was a general thread.

First of all, good choice putting in a champion near the rich ori node.
My first idea that it was to boring to get there.
I love a good challenge.

But there is a problem, there is not enough incentive for players to take it down.
Most just run passed it using all sorts of abilities and/or ignore other players taking it down.

Myself and my girlfriend started taking it down yesterday.
Instead of helping, other people just ran passed us, gathered the ori and left again.
Some gathered and then started helping. We ended up bringing it down with just 4 people.

We all got lousy drops, but meh, at least we helped our server by giving other players easier access to the rich ori node, right?
Wrong. Not even 5 minutes pass and the bugger respawns.

Please fix this.
You could make this champion an simple non-chain event with a small broadcast, so other people might join quicker for the added XP, karma and coin reward.
Make the respawn much, much longer. About an hour or so.
That way, people will feel like they actually made an impact in the world.

And as a final note, perhaps add a small chest that gives better loot after he dies.

Siofra Crumble.2098

You seem keen on the idea.
Please don’t fill this thread with negativity so they get motivated enough to fix this.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Veterans and Champions are supposed to have better chances to drop Rares (maybe Exotics? I don’t have any characters in that level range yet), so presumably the chance to get those is the reward in itself for beating down Champions. A guaranteed Rare with a possible chance for an Exotic would be a surefire way of getting people to tackle Champions though. Veterans could drop guaranteed Masterworks with a chance for a Rare. (Obviously this would need to be scaled down for Vets and Champions in lower level areas.)

Posted by: Aufero.2893

Aufero.2893

Given how tough the champion in that room is to kill, (that leap attack is murder) something better than the two blues it dropped for me today would seem to be in order. Preferably in a once-a-day chest to deter people from farming it over and over.

Or I can just take turns distracting it with whoever else is there so we all get the Ori node, I guess.

Posted by: Zen.2450

Zen.2450

Plus it’s a Karka, you have to kill it twice in all reality, so you should get double the reward. Unless it doesn’t do the whole regenerate thingy, in which case whatever.

I just tank it with my pet/summon whenever I want the ori.

Posted by: Zid.4196

Zid.4196

Fix it how? If the champion loot is abnormally high it will be botted. If it is regular champion loot classes who can bypass it and mine the ori will do so as it’s not worth the effort to fight.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Make the Orichalcum node corrupted until the champion is down. Fixed.

Rich nodes shouldn’t be harvested without at least killing a veteran or jumping a few rocks.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Zapan.7460

Zapan.7460

possible tactics:
A) Leash’m? Draw the champ to the limit of his allowable fight range and then run to get the loot as the champ returns to the original location from being leashed. (stealth ability for the win, if ya got one.) I’d guess this champ will aggro from proximity after the leash (gut feeling), and the leash will not work. /shrug.
B) Kite’m? if you have 2 players. I’ve done that with other champs that have a little loot chest near them, with 2 players: one pokes the champ & runs around while the other loots the chest, then the other player pokes it and runs while the other loots. /shrug.
good luck

Siofra Crumble.2098

@Zaxares
I like that idea.

@marnick
Another good solution.
But the thing is, I’m having a real hard time motivating them (guildies) to see the joy into killing a champion. The only mobs that present a real danger.
I’m not sure forcing them into it would help things out.
Better rewards is a better incentive.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

how many do you get from the rich ori node ? 12 ? 16 ?

my friend said there are 2. actually 1 node or 2 nodes ?

i haven’t been to any….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Rynarx.6124

Rynarx.6124

As a charr, this is one of the few scenarios where the skill “warband support” actually is useful.

Summon warband legionaires
Me: Here’s plan, you two attack the champion from the front while I’ll go around him.
Me: When you give the signal, I’ll come out from the side and flank him
Legionaires: Got it.

Legionaires run in to attack the champion while I run off to the side to mine the ori

Legionaire gives signal

Insert cutscene from Dragon Age Origins: Battle of Ostagar

Posted by: Amonde Daneren.2380

Amonde Daneren.2380

What is there to fix? That champion was only added to make it harder for people to get their Orichalcum, in order to make progression slower, and increase the grind.

If they up the respawn timer,or if they turn it into an event, it will no longer serve that purpose. They already improved the rewards for killing champions in the latest patch, so really I don’t see why they should change anything. Working as intended.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

What is there to fix? That champion was only added to make it harder for people to get their Orichalcum, in order to make progression slower, and increase the grind.

You know, it’s making it harder to get to the only other Rich Orichalcum node in the game. The other is in Eternal Battlegrounds in the jumping puzzle. I will note, you can leave off this one and there are still . . . two? Three? . . . nodes in the area, and the several still on Orr and the two in Frostgorge.

They put the Champion Karka there because, well, they realized there wasn’t any kind of challenge to reach it other than running the distance. I’m not happy about it, either, mostly because there’s exactly zero interest in killing it.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

You know, it’s making it harder to get to the only other Rich Orichalcum node in the game. The other is in Eternal Battlegrounds in the jumping puzzle. I will note, you can leave off this one and there are still . . . two? Three? . . . nodes in the area, and the several still on Orr and the two in Frostgorge.

They put the Champion Karka there because, well, they realized there wasn’t any kind of challenge to reach it other than running the distance. I’m not happy about it, either, mostly because there’s exactly zero interest in killing it.

There’s a “rich” Orichalcum in EB puzzle? It falls apart when I hit it three times with my pick.

Posted by: Alberel Leonhart.9640

Alberel Leonhart.9640

Champions need to drop a chest and the lvl 80 ones should have a guaranteed rare at least. Chest should only be able to be opened once a day per account. Done.

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

Rich nodes shouldn’t be harvested without at least killing a veteran or jumping a few rocks.

good idea

Posted by: Kirk.8379

Kirk.8379

I like this idea as at the moment I’m just skipping the content which I don’t enjoy doing but nobody wants to take him down because there’s no benefit of doing so and I can’t do it on my own.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

There’s a “rich” Orichalcum in EB puzzle? It falls apart when I hit it three times with my pick.

. . . I haven’t done it (freaking ambush squads), and I heard that was a Rich node. Oops? I stand corrected.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Siofra Crumble.2098

how many do you get from the rich ori node ? 12 ? 16 ?.

Somewhere in between.
Depends on how lucky you are.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

how many do you get from the rich ori node ? 12 ? 16 ?.

Somewhere in between.
Depends on how lucky you are.

You get 10 whacks with your pick. Sometimes a strike can give 2 Ore instead of 1 from a Rich Node. Sometimes with WvWvW or Guild Banner buffs you can get an extra Ore per strike.

The presumed maximum is 30, assuming ALL random chance happens to fire in your favor. I have generally averaged out between 10 and 15 most often.

Posted by: Lothair.8942

Lothair.8942

OP, same here – I was shocked to see the amount of people just run by and not even help killing the mob. Fine, you want your ORI, don’t blame you – but at least help kill!

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

The one in the EB is a 3 hit “rich” node with a chance to spawn 2 ori. Basically, it’s a daily 5~ ori.

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

If people run by, pull it to the node so they can’t gather? I guess it has the same AoE that veterans have?

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: PanzerG.3270

PanzerG.3270

my friend said there are 2. actually 1 node or 2 nodes ?

There is one rich node in the Karka cave, guarded by a Champion and one more (normal) ori node, somewhere on the island.

As to the OP: I’d like that idea…if not the usual problems would arise: hard to do such an event offpeak. Even with such a reward as 15 ori ores (thats my avg), you hardly see enough players there .

As to champ tactics: don’t forget the hatchlings it spawns.
2/3 times getting that rich ori vein is just a dead run.

I think this ori node is one step towards softening up the grind for legendaries, and thus well within the announced roadmap.

Siofra Crumble.2098

As to the OP: I’d like that idea…if not the usual problems would arise: hard to do such an event offpeak. Even with such a reward as 15 ori ores (thats my avg), you hardly see enough players there .

As to champ tactics: don’t forget the hatchlings it spawns.
2/3 times getting that rich ori vein is just a dead run.

I think this ori node is one step towards softening up the grind for legendaries, and thus well within the announced roadmap.

I don’t know about other servers, but even on off times there are always few people around.
I’m sure you can bring it down with just 2 people after some practice runs.
We got 60% of it’s first health bar down with just two of us before anyone else joined in.

If people run by, pull it to the node so they can’t gather? I guess it has the same AoE that veterans have?

Just because other people are selfish and pull this kind of move on shouldn’t mean you have to respond in kind.
You aren’t going to change their selfish behaviour by getting them into the aggro circle.
You’ll end up making it worse instead.

Many of these players just need a better incentive in terms of reward for bringing the champion down.

Posted by: Drusus.6723

Drusus.6723

Champions need to drop a chest and the lvl 80 ones should have a guaranteed rare at least. Chest should only be able to be opened once a day per account. Done.

To be blunt, it should have been this structure from day one and it is stupefying to wonder why it was not implemented as such, if farming is truly the issue. For that matter, make it every 6-12 hours, or even every 3. If a Bot hits it 4 times in a 24 hour period, or multiples in a 24 hour period, it would have been an immediately easy statistical track on potential bots to ban.

Siofra Crumble.2098

I for one never really cared about loot all that much.
The challenge is what keeps me coming back for more and freshly added champions make PvE somewhat interesting for me.
I prefer PvP gameplay but all my guildmates are of the PvE kind.
WvW is the -almost- perfect middle-ground of course, so we play that a lot.

Anyways, despite that, I understand that many people find the rewards lacking.
Oh boy, can some of my friends complain about crappy loot.

To me, it really baffles me that there are champions around that don’t have a (simple) event tied to them.
The added bonus of xp, karma and minor coins are enough incentive for me to kill champions.

Loot chests are great, but not really necessary.
However, I would love to see the rewards getting upped when it comes to champions because it’s getting harder and harder to convince my guildmates to bring them down instead of simply passing the champion.

A decent chance at a rare piece would sort it out.

(edited by Siofra Crumble.2098)

Posted by: mcarswell.3768

mcarswell.3768

/signed for the OP’s suggestions. the champ karka should at the very least be an event.

also, does anyone know what the respawn time on that rich ori node is? it’s definitely a lot longer than regular ori nodes.

Berner | Nitzerebb | Suna | Shivayanama
[TSFR] – Jade Quarry

Posted by: Luna.9640

Luna.9640

On top of everything the ore itself can be “annoying”

P.S. Before you ask i always use Ori Picks.

Attachments:

Tobias Trueflight.8350

24 hours, I think. At most 36 since that’s roughly the time it took until I got back there and it was present.

Siofra Crumble.2098

also, does anyone know what the respawn time on that rich ori node is? it’s definitely a lot longer than regular ori nodes.

I run by every 24 hours.
Killed the champ again yesterday. Same problems.
He actually respawned while I was still gathering this time.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

. . . that will be a fun task when I go back for it. Huh.

Posted by: RenRen.5706

RenRen.5706

You can just lure it away from the Ori node. If you do it far enough down the spiral, he won’t be near the node and you can just run past him to lose his aggro, allowing you to mine safely.

Attachments:

Posted by: TWMagimay.9057

TWMagimay.9057

That can happen with pretty much any resource. I -think- it has smth to do with getting hit while gathering…even though the item description doesn’t mention it…

Posted by: Chamone.6890

Chamone.6890

We just take a couple of theifs and use perma stealth, everyone mines it fine and the champ ignores us.

Posted by: Viledoom.7203

Viledoom.7203

I’m betting that the spawn points for ore will change like they do for the rest of the game, whenever they usually do that… during the next update. Sometime next week the rich ori will be in the water with the champion shark or something.

As for the other ori on the island there was a normal one at the bottom of the hive and one outside the entrance along the cliff wall to the left as you exit there. Not sure if those ones changed during the last patche(s) tho.

Posted by: Galen.9042

Galen.9042

Fix it how? If the champion loot is abnormally high it will be botted. If it is regular champion loot classes who can bypass it and mine the ori will do so as it’s not worth the effort to fight.

I would love to see a bot take on a Champion karka. Seriously, I would.

Posted by: Grey Warden.2983

Grey Warden.2983

They already improved the rewards for killing champions in the latest patch, …

Except they didn’t, they nerfed it.
Now the thing to do with any Champ is ignore it or run past it to get the chest or ore or what ever it is the thing is sitting on.

Posted by: Vinny.6924

Vinny.6924

Why would I stop and take 5 mins to take down a Champion only for it to drop nothing.

They need to get their heads outta their kitten cuz drop rate wasnt fixed. It was nerfed.

Commander Ahria – Warrior – Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Braxxis.7062

Braxxis.7062

That can happen with pretty much any resource. I -think- it has smth to do with getting hit while gathering…even though the item description doesn’t mention it…

It does and doesn’t. It can occur while not in combat or getting hit. It does seem to occur with a higher frequency if you are getting hit, but that’s not the only factor behind this happening.

As for the Champion Karka, after having done the event, both Phase 2 and 3, I’d actually prefer more players NOT join the fight against him. Prior to Phase 3 a small 10 man group got in past the webbing on the right side and zerged that Hive for that node and just general exploration. We took down both that Champion and the one just outside the Hive in a couple minutes with very little difficulty and maybe 1 or 2 downs. Now turn around and fight it with 20+ people and everyone starts dropping dead because the Karka seems to increase the frequency of how often it rolls/body bombs you the more people beating on it.

With the Champion Karka’s, less is better.

Nahla Lisandril / Ashelia Morin / Craulk
Yolaine / Orindine / Maliasera
~ Among the Ashes [Dust] ~

Siofra Crumble.2098

You can just lure it away from the Ori node. If you do it far enough down the spiral, he won’t be near the node and you can just run past him to lose his aggro, allowing you to mine safely.

I know there are a lot of ways to avoid the champion.
That’s not the point.

The point is that there needs to be a bigger incentive for people to take it down and the respawn timer is way to short.

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

The point is that there needs to be a bigger incentive for people to take it down and the respawn timer is way to short.

Same goes for every other champion. Even with the recent update they still don’t have guaranteed drops, and when they drop something it’s junk.

And another way to avoid the Karka: stand on the wooden beam. Any Hatchlings that happen to be around will still attack but the Karka itself won’t.

Attachments:

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Siofra Crumble.2098

Killed the champion several times now already.
Everyone involved never received anything better then karka meat and blue items.

Anyone else got something decent out of it?

Posted by: courin.2314

courin.2314

There are actually 2 normal ori nodes on the map in addition to the 1 rich ori node. And I suspect the reason everyone is just ignoring the champ is related to the suspected bug re: champ drop rates that has been discussed in other threads, but I too wish people would not just run in and mine it then leave while others are fighting. However, short of changing the layout, this wont change as some people don’t focus on anything other than their own goals. Another alternative would be to change the map to make the node unavailable until the champ is dead…eg he spawns a chest with the node rewards, or it opens a door to a cave where the node is, etc etc.

Posted by: Grevender.9235

Grevender.9235

best idea so far +1

Posted by: PanzerG.3270

PanzerG.3270

I’m betting that the spawn points for ore will change like they do for the rest of the game, whenever they usually do that… during the next update. Sometime next week the rich ori will be in the water with the champion shark or something.

As for the other ori on the island there was a normal one at the bottom of the hive and one outside the entrance along the cliff wall to the left as you exit there. Not sure if those ones changed during the last patche(s) tho.

Normal one changed position at least two times already, while the rich one remained in place. Eg on our server there was a normal one in the other cave once.
I’d be more carefull with the bets

(edited by PanzerG.3270)

Posted by: LemurTron.9261

LemurTron.9261

I like the idea of there being a DE that results in the downing of the champ karka, with perhaps a chest for the champ karka as well. There could be a gate/wall protecting the rich ori treasure that is only open for a small time window once the champ is down. That would at least get some interested in grouping to ‘move the chains’.

As it stands now, there is zero incentive to take the champ karka down. The only people who go for the ori are the ones who can avoid it.. and it sure must be nice to be able to tank with a ranger pet….

So yeah, putting a champ karka down was a good step 1. But there seems to be a lot of room for improvement here to make southsun fun / worth going to

(edited by LemurTron.9261)

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

I like the idea of there being a DE that results in the downing of the champ karka, with perhaps a chest for the champ karka as well. There could be a gate/wall protecting the rich ori treasure that is only open for a small time window once the champ is down. That would at least get some interested in grouping to ‘move the chains’.

As it stands now, there is zero incentive to take the champ karka down. The only people who go for the ori are the ones who can avoid it.. and it sure must be nice to be able to tank with a ranger pet….

So yeah, putting a champ karka down was a good step 1. But there seems to be a lot of room for improvement here to make southsun fun / worth going to

I usually don’t even bother because their is never anyone around to help – however, the few times I did go grab it on my warrior – I would pop my immunity and start picking, healing when I could and when I went down… pop vengeance and pick the rest before I died

Posted by: Eirik.9145

Eirik.9145

There’s even less incentive to take the champ down when it doesn’t drop any loot at all. They said they improved rewards for champions and veterans, but that doesn’t seem the case in actuality. I was in groups that killed the champion karka on two of my toons yesterday and no one got any loot from it either time.

And the respawn timer is ridiculously fast. People who were rezzing downed players didn’t have time to mine the node and get out of there before it respawned. Someone said it was supposed to be 3 minutes. Less than 1 minutes is what it is now.

Posted by: Magiofdeath.2745

Magiofdeath.2745

OP, you’re asking people to take the time to kill something when there is a high chance of no loot or crap loot. I’ve killed veteran karka a few times and not once have I received loot. I am not going to bother fighting a champion karka when I can just put my pet on it, grab the ore and leave, lol. Sure, you could make it a group event, but unless there’s a chest that spawns at the end of it, most people still probably won’t take the champ down. You see this all over the game – group events do not get done unless they spawn a big chest at the end. Yeah, its sad, but its also human nature – we aren’t going to take the time to do something if the reward is crap. This entire game is like that – high risk/time sink, low reward.

Fort Aspenwood | Kurzick ftw!