Karma Cost on Sub-80 Vendors Currently Too High

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: etiolate.9185

etiolate.9185

There has been a lot of changing of numbers in regards to the cost of karma armor and weapons pre-80, but right now the costs have risen to a point where everyone is hording karma and not buying any of the leveling gear along the way.

For example, I just hit level 60 and have been hording karma since around level 30. I have 12-13k Karma. A single lvl 60 Cultural Weapon costs 35k Karma. That’s almost three times the amount of karma I’ve earned in 30 levels for just one weapon. Needless to say, though I’d like a level 60 Cultural Weapon, I won’t be getting any nor will many others.

This also means that all that gear sold by heart vendors is going untouched as well. That’s a lot of content going unused due to karma cost versus karma gain. It doesn’t seem wise to put pricing so high that it discourages people from spending karma, while shocking them with karma cost once they want to spend karma.

Karma should be a valid currency choice for making selections on upgrades as you level. Currently, I can get equivalent gear on the Trading Post for 10 silver. I can make 10 silver pretty easily at level 60, but 35k karma is hard to come by while you’re leveling. Gold gain is also strengthened by the ability to make gold on the Trading Post. The ways to acquire karma are far more limited, so the costs need to be lowered.

Otherwise, untouched Heart vendors and gear that gets outleveled before you can afford it just creates wasted assets.

Zed Zebes – SBI Mesmer

Posted by: Tyrindor.5049

Tyrindor.5049

The karma amounts (pre-nerf) were about right.

They rendered the armor useless in my eyes.

Posted by: Orbys.4895

Orbys.4895

I completely agree with this. Unless I stand in one spot grinding the same event hundreds of times over, there is no way to get that kind of karma. I really felt they were in a good spot during release.

When I hit 35, I was able to just squeeze by and get my culture armor as well as both of my culture weapons. They served me well, but I am level 60 now.. I cant even come close to affording a single weapon.

On top of this, they dont let you do anything with culture weapons either. I cant sell them, or break them down. Seems a bit off putting.

Posted by: Ordin.9047

Ordin.9047

Who is really going to spend 35k Karma for something that will be outleveled later that day?

Posted by: Gyella.9850

Gyella.9850

I was at work the day after I read on reddit they raised Karma costs. I was lvl 41(?) at the time and was looking forward to going home and spending some Karma on a new weap. Needless to say, I have never purchased anything w/ Karma. The costs are INSANE if you consider that weapon will be obsolete in a few days.

Shame too, b/c I really wanted one.

Oh well. C’est La Vie!

Posted by: Xenigma.4305

Xenigma.4305

Wait, so tier 2 cultural weapons cost 35k karma now? That’s insane! As of level 62 I’ve gained maybe 14k karma total, and I’ve barely spent any of that at heart vendors simply because I gain it so slowly that I don’t want to cash out prior to level 80 for gear that will be quickly outdated and rarely has anything other than a generic skin. To me, that says that they now expect even tier 2 cultural equipment to simply be skins to earn at end game, which seems absurd if its not even level 80 gear. What’s the point?