Karma... Yes, I think you already guessed.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

Karma is still so easy to acquire a lot of you say, eh?

Well then you should breeze through my challenge to you:

- Waste all your easily earned Karma on Orr Boxes.
- From 0 Karma now go accumulate an easy 1 mil Karma.
- Report back here when you have done so.

I did that. Spent ALL karma on boxes before nerf, took about a month to get back up to 1mil. Really don’t see the big deal with karma.

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

I’m surprised this thread hasn’t been closed yet as I believe calling out Anet employees is prohibited in these forums. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see an answer, just surprised is all. I will be extremely surprised if an answer is given though.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Archmortal.1027

Archmortal.1027

Karma is still so easy to acquire a lot of you say, eh?

Well then you should breeze through my challenge to you:

- Waste all your easily earned Karma on Orr Boxes.
- From 0 Karma now go accumulate an easy 1 mil Karma.
- Report back here when you have done so.

I did that. Spent ALL karma on boxes before nerf, took about a month to get back up to 1mil. Really don’t see the big deal with karma.

This. I haven’t noticed any kind of meaningful change in how much karma I get.

You can’t honestly expect to get meaningful rewards out of the game just from completing a daily. And let’s be honest here, Dungeons have always been about the gold and tokens if you want the equipment. I never heard of anyone running them for the karma because event trains have always been and will always be faster for that.

You want karma? Go out and earn karma. Think about it the way people think of karma in reality. You don’t earn it by washing your dishes every day, you earn it by going out and doing deeds.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Hmm I guessed wrong… I thought this thread would be about how Karma still isn’t that meaningful and maybe it should be reduced again but distributed to more activities.

How are people having problems with karma? What do you even need karma for? If you say either Legendary or Ascended, then guess what, it isn’t supposed to be easy, it is supposed to be a long term goal.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

-snip-

Why was Karma nerfed?

In short, because loud mouthed people complained:

1) It was too abundant

2) It was useless/pointless/worthless (Just look at Zudet’s post for example – “isn’t meaningful” No offense Zu, you just happened to give an example I could use)

Tada….karma nerf.

shrug

How do we deal with it? Do more events bud. Lots and lots more events.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

Before the nerf people were getting ~350,000 karma a month just from doing the daily and monthly. They hammered that so that people weren’t getting more karma than they ever needed just for showing up.

The rest was cleaning up around the edges, you just actually have to play the game to have tons of karma now.

Posted by: Basharic.1654

Basharic.1654

Before the nerf people were getting ~350,000 karma a month just from doing the daily and monthly. They hammered that so that people weren’t getting more karma than they ever needed just for showing up.

The rest was cleaning up around the edges, you just actually have to play the game to have tons of karma now.

This.

The people who saw the biggest nerf were the people playing the least. What exactly are you going to do with all that currency for a game you don’t play?

I’m sorry if you don’t have enough free time to earn the rewards you want, sucks to be you. But beyond a certain basic level (exotic) you have to actually work a bit for things you might want. And if you actually play the game regularly you have plenty of karma.

I obliterated my karma pool for a lil less than two stacks of obby shards when ascended crafting started, and I am jut now getting to the point of having to think about getting more. I’m creeping up on having another 2 million karma. I mostly WvW, with split offs to LS or the occasional T6 node run. The wife and I have a normal life, but no kids, and the game is our primary leisure activity.

I haven’t spared a thought for Karma beyond the occasional conversation in Mumble about how much we happen to have at the moment.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I can agree with the removal of karma from failed events. That makes sense.
I can agree with the reduction of karma from completing the daily and monthly.
I can agree with removing karma containers from loot bags.

However, I think events need to reward just a tad bit more than they do to balance it out just a bit.

No, karma doesn’t need to flow as lucratively as it did before, but neither did it need to be nerfed into the ground either. Happy mediums can and do exist.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

I can agree with the removal of karma from failed events. That makes sense.
I can agree with the reduction of karma from completing the daily and monthly.
I can agree with removing karma containers from loot bags.

However, I think events need to reward just a tad bit more than they do to balance it out just a bit.

No, karma doesn’t need to flow as lucratively as it did before, but neither did it need to be nerfed into the ground either. Happy mediums can and do exist.

in a way the karma nerf kind of drove to champ farming in queensdale plus its an easy area to finish dailies. so im killing three things with one stone i get karma do my dailies for the laurels and i get decent enough gold and yes id love to see them put karma at a better balance

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

Hahaha and here I thought you needed to do something actually, legendary and challenging, in order to earn a legendary weapon. Turns out not. Well..,perhaps if you consider that you need legendary amounts of patience to endure the horrible grinds…

Posted by: Xia.3485

Xia.3485

Farm Teq daily.. excellent source of karma.

Archmortal.1027

The happy medium has been achieved. Just look at the people in the thread saying how abundant karma still is if you go out and do things in the game besides focusing on your daily/monthly.

For people that don’t have time to do that… well reconsider your in-game priorities. The daily is really just a single laurel. Do you want your laurel, or do you want more karma? If karma, spend the time doing things that reward it instead of doing the daily.

Posted by: wolfpaq.7354

wolfpaq.7354

It isn’t unless you voluntarily decide to go for the grindy parts of the game.

Spoken truly like someone who has no clue how the game works. There is literally nothing you can do in this game that isn’t a grind.

Achievements? 5k kills with EVERY WEAPON. Gogogo grind.

WvW? Grind those badges of honor!

Crafting? +100 more levels of PURE GRIND

Dungeons? Fractals? Hope you enjoy grinding those tokens!

Living story? Better grind those temp achievements, temp gear, and temp rare drops before your 2 week window times out!!!

They even managed to figure out a way to turn exploration into a grind with the countless vistas, PoI’s and skill points scattered about the maps, often frustratingly hidden with z-axis shenanigans.

Grind wars 2. Grind it or bust.

Posted by: DragonWhimsy.6489

DragonWhimsy.6489

It appears it’s YOU who don’t know how to play the game. All those things are optional. If you enjoy doing something it’s not a grind. If you don’t enjoy doing it then don’t do it.

Posted by: pswendel.8179

pswendel.8179

It appears it’s YOU who don’t know how to play the game. All those things are optional. If you enjoy doing something it’s not a grind. If you don’t enjoy doing it then don’t do it.

It may feel that way. If you happen to enjoy something, it’s called “fun.” Repetitive game play is a grind, the fun is optional

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Farm Teq daily.. excellent source of karma.

This

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: wolfpaq.7354

wolfpaq.7354

If you don’t do any of those things you are no longer playing Guild Wars 2. Also, whether or not you like something has NOTHING to do with whether or not it is a grind.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

The issue with the karma nerf, and every other change they make in an attempt to balance an surplus of anything, is they never revert the changes or tweak them later to adjust for the severe nerf. People had a surplus of karma and nothing to spend it on.

So instead of giving us something to spend it on, they nerfed the means by which to acquire it.

They time gate new ascended gear and celestial gear because they don’t want everyone getting it right away. Well, they’ve been out for months now…I think you can remove the time gating.

They notice how certain crafting materials are flooding the market. They introduce recipes that require a ridiculous amount of these items to reduce the saturation…and then suddenly there’s a huge price increase for these items since there’s no longer any available.

Everything is done in excess and then not brought back to scale afterwards to compensate.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Archmortal.1027

The issue with the karma nerf, and every other change they make in an attempt to balance an surplus of anything, is they never revert the changes or tweak them later to adjust for the severe nerf. People had a surplus of karma and nothing to spend it on.

So instead of giving us something to spend it on, they nerfed the means by which to acquire it.

They time gate new ascended gear and celestial gear because they don’t want everyone getting it right away. Well, they’ve been out for months now…I think you can remove the time gating.

They notice how certain crafting materials are flooding the market. They introduce recipes that require a ridiculous amount of these items to reduce the saturation…and then suddenly there’s a huge price increase for these items since there’s no longer any available.

Everything is done in excess and then not brought back to scale afterwards to compensate.

Go tell me how many MMOs out there implement a balance change and then later go “all right, the game is balanced now, you can have your methods of unbalancing the game back!”

But no, the gate for everything except the Fractal Capacitor is actually pretty reasonable (and the Capacitor doesn’t even have a time gate, it’s just ridiculous to fully upgrade it). WoW has time gates on its crafting as well, last I checked, none of which have ever been reversed until a new expansion and giant chunk of playable content has been added.

As to the severity of the nerf: The karma nerf was not severe. The ascended time gate isn’t even a nerf, it’s just how it was implemented as the new top tier of equipment. There is no reason to re-adjust the karma nerf, as it did not take away anyone’s karma, it just kept people from amassing large amounts of it for doing next to nothing. This was not an excessive nerf, it was a much needed balance change. Likewise there’s no reason to take off the time gate on ascended crafting just because it’s been a couple months. “A lot of people have it already” is not a reason to diminish the effort those people have put into getting it by allowing everyone from there on to circumvent that effort. FWIW: I am saying that as someone who does not have a single ascended item except the fragments/dust/ore that you get for events.

The only nerf that was overly punishing and severe to all players was the diminishing returns on drop rates. It’s complete crap and should never have been implemented in the first place, much less continued after the reason for implementation had been resolved.