Keep an open mind with Heart of Thorns

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Okay, I know we have a hype train going on for what Arenanet will offer tomorrow with Heart of Thorns. Most are expecting it to be a traditional MMO expansion while others are expecting it to be basically Season 3 of the Living Story. I honestly do not care what it will be just so long as the content I will receive is something I will appreciate. I’m just saying to all those who ride the hype train, don’t keep your hopes up too high for what Heart of Thorns will be because if it isn’t what you expected, you’d be sorely disappointed.

With that said, see you guys at the PAX stream tomorrow.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

all i am doing is waiting till there is a list of things they are planning in HoT, i really can’t care less about PAX or their stream.
i judge when i can read all about it, before that it’s nothing more then hyped up crap.

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Unless they hugely expand the off the map Maguuma jungle regions, or if they add in unrelated maps around Tyria, I’m not really expecting a full expansion. Maybe 3-4 new zones at most and a new segment of the PS dealing with the war against Mordremoth, but a fully fleshed out region nearly a third to half the size of the Tyria we know today? No.

I am hoping for a bunch of new and/or revamped features though. This would be the best time to dump them all on the players instead of having to rely on the infrequent Feature Updates. Maybe they will finally deliver on their promise of adding more weapons to each profession.

And if a miracle happens, and they do somehow knock my socks off, I do have a gif waiting for just such an occasion…

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

I’d even extend that:

Keep an open mind, and 0 expectations.

That’s my plan.

Posted by: Elegy.2159

Elegy.2159

I really like what Anet has done with the game so far. Obviously not everything, but most of it. I love the LS, I love the festivals (even the repeats). I love being able to play a condition damage build in PvE and feel useful for once in the new zones. I like how they’ve been introducing new content fairly consistently even without a boxed expansion. I doubt I’ll be disappointed. People understandably use the forums to vent sometimes, but I doubt there will be a mass exodus if it’s not a “real” xpac or a new playable race. If it’s this much hype and it’s taken this long to produce, I’m betting at least part of it is cool, even if you’re a real pessimist.

Attachments:

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Cho Cho! What’s that? Open what? Sorry I can’t hear you over the HYPE TRAIN! XD

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I think it’s safer to say, whatever you think it will be, it will not be that and you will be disappointed with the results. Only if you have no expectations will you be potentially satisfied.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

snip

That gif has win written all over it.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I’m no expecting anything, that what I’ll be happy no matter what but we all know,

Attachments:

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

Honestly, I’m not hyped. I’m just hoping. If it’s not what I’m hoping for, I’ll just keep playing other games like I’ve been doing these past few months, and forget about GW2.

Posted by: Deadcell.9052

Deadcell.9052

Based on Gw2’s history up to this point I will be very shocked if it is an expansion, I just don’t see it. The only things I see being announced is a heavier focus on living story, a few systems being revamped and cleaned up, a few feature packs, some class adjustments with a few new abilities here and there, maybe a zone or 2, minor stuff for WvW and Spvp. I see Anet making a console (Ps4, Xbox 1) version of Gw2 long before an expansion pack. LOL hopefully I am wrong as I would love to see a legit expansion pack but Anet and Ncsoft have trained me very diligently to keep expectations down.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

They did a 3-week hype prelude to a feature pack. Most of the stuff was very cool, but very run-of-the-mill in nature. This is being announced at a convention. It’s their own fault if the hype they have tried to manufacture with this doesn’t live up to expectations.

I expect this announcement to be a full on expansion replete with the following:

• a new class
  • a new race
  • a wholly new weapon
  • existing weapons given to classes that have never been able to use them before
  • new dungeons
  • new fractals
  • new utility and elite skills
  • new pvp modes
  • additions to WvW
  • new legendaries
  • new features and refinements
Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Hype Train ain´t no Mind Train.

Ain´t no Soul Train, neither.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Okay, I know we have a hype train going on for what Arenanet will offer tomorrow with Heart of Thorns. Most are expecting it to be a traditional MMO expansion while others are expecting it to be basically Season 3 of the Living Story. I honestly do not care what it will be just so long as the content I will receive is something I will appreciate. I’m just saying to all those who ride the hype train, don’t keep your hopes up too high for what Heart of Thorns will be because if it isn’t what you expected, you’d be sorely disappointed.

Wow, you’re asking for a lot aren’t you. What’s going to happen is a slew of threads will be generated about what was and wasn’t said during the presentation. Mods will attempt to merge them into an incoherent mess. There will be rage quit threads with the requisite “can I have your stuff” posts.

Basically game forum activity as usual following any major announcement. Let the forum carnage begin.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Based on Gw2’s history up to this point I will be very shocked if it is an expansion, I just don’t see it. The only things I see being announced is a heavier focus on living story, a few systems being revamped and cleaned up, a few feature packs, some class adjustments with a few new abilities here and there, maybe a zone or 2, minor stuff for WvW and Spvp. I see Anet making a console (Ps4, Xbox 1) version of Gw2 long before an expansion pack. LOL hopefully I am wrong as I would love to see a legit expansion pack but Anet and Ncsoft have trained me very diligently to keep expectations down.

Normally I’d agree with you.

But that’s pretty much exactly what they’ve given us for the past 2 years. If that’s all they were going to say they wouldn’t be making such a huge deal out of it. I’m not sure PAX would even let them have the stage time because it’d make them look bad by association. Anyone with the choice isn’t going to go to a convention where one of their big events is an MMO announcing they’re continuing their existing release schedule.

I’m still not entirely convinced it’s going to be a traditional expansion, because it’s Anet and they like to do things differently, but I think it’s going to be something other than what we’ve seen so far.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

My personal prediction of what its going to be is an expansions worth of content broken up “ala-carte” style into individual gem store purchases. New zones, new profession, new race, new traits and skills, all individually purchased. Get what you want, and only what you want. Hopefully totaling up to a price comparable to a normal expansion if you buy everything.

That would fit the bill of something huge to announce while also being different enough from a standard MMO expansion to warrant hyping it up as something unique.

Plus, that sort of thing is all the rage nowadays anyway.

But yah, I’m trying not to get TOO hyped. Its not really working, mind you, but I’m trying darnit >.>

Malkavian.4516

Wow, you’re asking for a lot aren’t you. What’s going to happen is a slew of threads will be generated about what was and wasn’t said during the presentation. Mods will attempt to merge them into an incoherent mess. There will be rage quit threads with the requisite “can I have your stuff” posts.

Basically game forum activity as usual following any major announcement. Let the forum carnage begin.

I guess I am. I know that even with this post people will still make their assumptions and nerd rage when the stuff mentioned isn’t what they’d expect (I’d probably do that myself if I were in their shoes). It’s just meant to minimize that nerd rage as much as possible.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

Every day when I get to work I tell myself expect to eat a dog doo sandwich. If things go bad then yeah I can deal with it (I mean what did I expect?) and if things go good then yay. I’m dealing with this announcement the same way.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

Precursor crafting and a change to RNG would be at the top of my list. The game’s loot system needs serious revamping if they want mmo players from other games to step into Tyria

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Even if Anet release an update or expansion with everythign all players wanted, and making the game 1000 time better, I still will not be happy with Anet.

Why? Because nothing can fix the way Anet treated us WvW players for the last 2 years! Making promises, telling us they were working on this that or the other, then turning around saying things were “more complicated”, to just plain doing nothing and saying “we cannot talk about it” to punishing us for voicing ours concerns and complaints.

Sorry but how does any company to come back from that?!

The WvW Forum Poster Formerly Known As Omaris Mortuus Est

(edited by Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054)

Malkavian.4516

Sorry to hear that. Then again, they can’t please everybody, I guess.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: Lifestealer.4910

Lifestealer.4910

Considering the abysmal update we have received in the past 2 years, I definitely should not expect much from Anet. Even though, this “expansion” better be HUGE in terms of content and feature improvements or else all the suffering some of us had to endure would be for nothing.

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Nah Bro. If I hear anything less than the Guild Wars Franchise releasing its own dedicated computer/home console with every genre of game ever….PLUS, a traditional expansion to both Guild Wars 1 and Guild Wars 2, Guild Wars the Card Game, Guild Wars the Pen and Paper RPG, Guild Wars the Game Show and Guild Wars the Animated Series, I will go walk to Anet’s HQ myself, and personally flip every table in the office, especially the one that has all their unused but possible ideas on it.

(joking of course. I don’t really care what they announce, as there’s a 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999% chance of me logging in to play whatever’s new anyways and buying it if required.

I’m going to spend months complaining about it, but I’ll still play…..)

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

Well, looking at what they have said up-front:

…and be among the first to hear how we’re setting up a new framework for how an MMO can grow its universe. The Living World was just the beginning.

1) It’s probably not a traditional expansion, because that’s not “a new framework for how an MMO can grow its universe”.
2) It’s probably not just more Living World, or they wouldn’t say it “was just the beginning”. Also, it doesn’t explain why “Heart of Thorns” is significant enough to warrant a trademark.

It seems most likely that this is something expansion-like that is not delivered as a traditional expansion. That could mean a lot of different things, but I guess we’ll find out tomorrow. I’d agree though: keep an open mind. (Or don’t – it’s a free country. )

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

1) It’s probably not a traditional expansion, because that’s not “a new framework for how an MMO can grow its universe”.

Haha, want to bet that this “new framework for how it can grow” is the same thing that well established f2p MMOs have handled “expansions” since forever and what Anet is sort of already doing with living story?

Its probably just going to be a bigger expansion purchaseable through the cash shop. Which is what everyone has been expecting since the launch of GW2.

But hey look at the bright side – it does shine some light on GW2 again. I havent played the game since about 1 year ago and I’m thinking about coming back out of pure excitement that they might actually do something to WvW in this “expansion”. I have little doubt I will be disappointed but kitten let me dream for a while again.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

If it’s an expansion I’ll laugh, but if it’s not then it’s in line with what ArenaNet has always said about not doing expansions.

Thusly, if it’s not an expansion then could all the pro-expansion people who bought this game without listening to ArenaNet and played this game for 2.5 years not paying attention to ArenaNet just finally get the message and let go of the whole expansion thing?

I really don’t know how some of you can have invested over two years in this game on the expectation that oranges will grow on this apple tree.

Posted by: Magnuzone.8395

Magnuzone.8395

We already got several parts of an expansion.

If one think back a bit the living story parts all together make up for a pretty good amount of content. And all of them together, tied with the big events we’ve had, actually add up more than we would have gotten in an expansion after lets say 1 year upon release.

That’s how they worked up til now at least. I fail to see the need for an actual standalone expansion.

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

It’s an expansion.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Whatever we’re going to see, I can assure to you, it won’t be a traditional MMO expansion pack.

Posted by: Aetheldrake.6395

Aetheldrake.6395

i hope they HULK SMASH the hype train

Posted by: yanipheonu.5798

yanipheonu.5798

I’m pretty cautiously optimistic, but man, if this presentation doesn’t go well, or worst, this turns out to massive letdown XD. I’ll be less let down and more ready to laugh and ensuing salt.

Posted by: Exroyal.9053

Exroyal.9053

They did a 3-week hype prelude to a feature pack. Most of the stuff was very cool, but very run-of-the-mill in nature. This is being announced at a convention. It’s their own fault if the hype they have tried to manufacture with this doesn’t live up to expectations.

I expect this announcement to be a full on expansion replete with the following:

• a new class
  • a new race
  • a wholly new weapon
  • existing weapons given to classes that have never been able to use them before
  • new dungeons
  • new fractals
  • new utility and elite skills
  • new pvp modes
  • additions to WvW
  • new legendaries
  • new features and refinements

Boy are you in for a big dissapointment. Also that so-called created hype is 80% player created, don’t blame ANet if they don’t live up to your expectations.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Whatever we’re going to see, I can assure to you, it won’t be a traditional MMO expansion pack.

I don’t know, so many people seem to want one.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Okay, I know we have a hype train going on for what Arenanet will offer tomorrow with Heart of Thorns. I’m just saying to all those who ride the hype train, don’t keep your hopes up too high for what Heart of Thorns will be because if it isn’t what you expected, you’d be sorely disappointed.

To late…the hype train is steaming ahead cho,cho….its even worse on the reddit thread than here on the official forums…

When the hype train is full flow, anything can happen, life’s good, anythings possible.

When reality hits beware the come down, as hopes and dreams are dashed and players vent there hate…

Popcorn at the ready…