Keeping track of dyes unlocked

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: deltabrainwave.3527

deltabrainwave.3527

So I am trying to make dyes at the cooking station but the thing that I am having trouble with is keeping track of which level of, e.g. red dye, I need to make.

So how do I easily tell if I have unlocked all the Common level red dyes?

I don’t want particularly want to create an Excel spreadsheet (this is not EVE online lol), just to track when I have completed all the red Common dyes just so I can continue on to the red Master dyes, and then on to the red Rare dyes.

Thanks for helping a noob out.

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

You can toggle unlocked dyes in your dye panel and it’ll show you which ones you’re missing.

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

go in where you select dye on your equipment, and if you press the cog wheel be sure first of all that it shows locked dyes (i think this is default now though) and then you can sort either by set(this against is the default) (common, uncommon, rare) or by hue (red, green, yellow etc)

deltabrainwave.3527

go in where you select dye on your equipment, and if you press the cog wheel be sure first of all that it shows locked dyes (i think this is default now though) and then you can sort either by set(this against is the default) (common, uncommon, rare) or by hue (red, green, yellow etc)

I can sort by one of those factors but I cannot sort by all three. Unless I’m not doing it right. I would like to show only red dyes that I have not yet unlocked that are common level, for example. Can I do that?

Posted by: Endrance.1680

Endrance.1680

It would seem not. You can hide all of the locked but there is no option to hide the unlocked. I understand why it would be beneficial but it’s probably a minor detail that was not considered or just overlooked during update.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

There are 49 Common, Uncommon, Red Rare Red Dyes (17 Red Common Dyes, 18 Red Uncommon, and 14 Red Rare [not counting Gem Store Dyes], and 1 Starter Red Dye).

Perhaps, this site would be helpful: http://www.dragonsworn.net/dyes/

Good luck.

Edit: You can also just mouse-over any Red Dyes sorted by hue that are locked, and click ‘Buy On Trading Post’, and it will then show you the rarity (on the TP – you only have to load it once to see them all).

If you would rather not tab-out of the game to look at a site.

Again, best of luck.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Posted by: Ezekel.6394

Ezekel.6394

So I am trying to make dyes at the cooking station but the thing that I am having trouble with is keeping track of which level of, e.g. red dye, I need to make.

I don’t want particularly want to create an Excel spreadsheet (this is not EVE online lol), just to track when I have completed all the red Common dyes just so I can continue on to the red Master dyes, and then on to the red Rare dyes.

It is not cost effective at all to make dyes through cooking.

For the 25 strawberries it takes to make a Unidentified red dye you can buy about half the common dyes it could make from the TP. You could buy most of the common dyes for around the same price you would get from just selling 25 strawberries.

deltabrainwave.3527

Having an encylopedic list of all the dyes doesn’t address the crux of the matter. That is how does one know that they have unlocked all the common red dyes.

I’m guessing the only way to know for sure is to make a spreadsheet of all the common red dyes and mark off each one… sigh. I think I’ll just sell my strawberries and buy the dyes instead.

deltabrainwave.3527

It is not cost effective at all to make dyes through cooking.

For the 25 strawberries it takes to make a Unidentified red dye you can buy about half the common dyes it could make from the TP. You could buy most of the common dyes for around the same price you would get from just selling 25 strawberries.

This is a useful answer, thanks. I’m not super into mathematics in a game, I don’t find number crunching fun.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

At this point, crafting dyes is still far more expensive than buying them on the TP (especially if you make a custom offer rather than buying the lowest-priced one for sale). This is true especially for the uncommon (masterwork) and rare dyes, since the ‘kits’ can also drop dyes of lesser rarity.

In answer to how you keep track: there isn’t an easy way, even though it’s much easier today than it was at launch.

• You can group by rarity, in which case you can see which common dyes you have unlocked. But those are sorted by a type of brightness (lighter colors first), not hue.
  • You can group by hue, in which case you can see which red dyes you have unlocked, but those are also sorted lighter first, not by rarity.

Some keep track on paper. Some on a spreadsheet. Unfortunately, there aren’t better methods currently.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”