Keybindings and hotbar ordering question

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ionix.9054

ionix.9054

Regarding profession skills:

Is there a way bind profession skills differently per character so I do not have to rebind every time I switch characters?

Elementalist (normal case):
I would like Elemental attunements bound to Ctrl+1, Ctrl+2, Ctrl+3 and Ctrl+4 in the order the profession skills appear by default. (same goes for all other classes except mesmer).

Mesmer (scrambled case):
I would like the order to be mixed.
I would like Diversion bound to Ctrl+1 (third profession skill) and mind rack bound Ctrl+2 ( first profession skill)

I set this up on the mesmer, logged over to elementalist and found that the keybindings also applied to that character. Ideally, I would love to change the physical ordering of the profession skills, but I do not think this is an option.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

There’s no way to do this within the game, but I think some keyboards allow you to change the function of keys (so for example the F1 key is now F3) and to save pre-sets. There might be software which enables you to do this with regular keyboards too, but I’m not sure what it’d be called.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I was going to say about what Danikat did. I’ll just add that if you do get a keyboard with programmable profiles to swap what the keys do (eg telling it to register a ctrl-1 as an F1) likely the game will still see that as an F1 press and thus label that box on your UI as F1. If you never pay attention to the UI info on the hotkeys this may not matter to you.

I am pretty sure that if you rebind your Interact to another key, so it’s no longer on F, the UI will change to show the new Interact key. But if you are just telling your keyboard “when I press O, please tell the game I pressed F,” the screen will still say “F” and you’ll have to remember what you bound it to.

Posted by: ionix.9054

ionix.9054

That’s a good suggestion guys. Thank you for the responses.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

There’s no way to do this within the game, but I think some keyboards allow you to change the function of keys (so for example the F1 key is now F3) and to save pre-sets. There might be software which enables you to do this with regular keyboards too, but I’m not sure what it’d be called.

It would be fairly easy to do with autohotkey and you can make it only affect GW2 which would probably be more convenient than something that affects the whole system.

Posted by: Wigglesworth.2751

Wigglesworth.2751

Well I know its not the norm but the way I have my keyboard set up works with pretty much every profession – just means you dont use the mouse except to aim your cursor. I have the arrow keys for forwards, backwards, left, right, S is rotate left, D rotate right, A weapons swap, replace F1 F2 F3 F4 F5 with W E R T Y, and all the weapon skills are on the number pad – with Elite as 0, + is run, Q is walk, – is about face and * is to look behind you. Its a bit weird, but so am I

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

I used a Beklin n52te for years until I down-graded to a Razer Orbweaver with sticky glue coming out everywhere. Hopefully, Razer fixed the issue where the glue melts after a year. If they have not, Microsoft has a keypad, though it does not have as convenient a layout as the n52te or its Razer derivative. (Razer bought the rights to Belkin’s pad.)

A gaming keypad with programmable keys will solve your problem. You can store and swap keybindings rapidly with the keypad’s utility.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Just make sure you don’t program anything so one key presses two or more keys in sequence (it might be ok to turn Ctrl-T into a single key, but generally anything that isn’t 1:1 on keypresses turns into possibly account-bannable macros).

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

I’m still confused as to why swapping the order of your profession skill binds on your Mesmer is so important. Such a binding scheme seems entirely arbitrary.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube