Kicked while loading into an instance

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

Sometimes, it takes quite a while to load into a map/fractals/dungeons…….

if that happens, your group mates will think you are offline and kick you.

Whose fault is it?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Not a matter of fault, rather one of communication and/or expectations.

If you know that you have long load times, for whatever reason, its a good idea to let your group know. If they are intending a fast run, they should let you know that the additional load times will be a problem.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

That just sounds like mean people honestly. Whenever I run with a PUG I generally give people up to 5 minutes after they appear to DC in case its anything of this sort. And that’s even plenty of time to recover from an actual crash as long as your internet is still up.

Regardless, its definitely not your fault. You can’t make the loading screens take less time.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Probably a little of both, depending on if long loading times are normal for you for at least 50% of the time.

If you know you tend to have a good chance at a long loading time, you should let your group know. Otherwise they may think you’ve DC’ed. And if they’re looking to speed run, that delay going to be a problem.

However, there’s a point at which it’s reasonable to kick because the chances are high that it’s most likely a DC. And at which time the group decided you’d probably DC’ed and kicked you. Which means it’s partly their fault no matter what the reason.

Without knowing how long it was between instance start and the kick, no one can say if the kickers were wrong or not.

SirDrygan.1823

Let’s be clear, it’s NOT everytime the loading screen takes forever, it’s random. Sometimes, it takes like forever, sometimes it loads in fast. I have no idea when it will happen. But it does happen. And I have been in groups where other people are also in the instance but doesn’t move for quite a while. I also assume they are loading in. I usually suggested that to the group after they started getting impatient.

Seera.5916

Let’s be clear, it’s NOT everytime the loading screen takes forever, it’s random. Sometimes, it takes like forever, sometimes it loads in fast. I have no idea when it will happen. But it does happen. And I have been in groups where other people are also in the instance but doesn’t move for quite a while. I also assume they are loading in. I usually suggested that to the group after they started getting impatient.

Yes, but at some point, the wait becomes too long and your party members are fine to kick. Especially if they have not been told that you are prone to random long loading screens that happen enough to warrant being worried being kicked due to them. At which point, unless the party member would be locked out of content, I would suggest we start the instance and the party member who loaded in long can catch up later. We can always hold while they catch up. And I would make sure the person who said they might load in long was aware that if it took more than a 2 minutes, that we would start without them.

SirDrygan.1823

Yes, but at some point, the wait becomes too long and your party members are fine to kick. Especially if they have not been told that you are prone to random long loading screens that happen enough to warrant being worried being kicked due to them. At which point, unless the party member would be locked out of content, I would suggest we start the instance and the party member who loaded in long can catch up later. We can always hold while they catch up. And I would make sure the person who said they might load in long was aware that if it took more than a 2 minutes, that we would start without them.

So, you solution is to tell everyone that I have a problem and be sure to wait for me even if I load in 5 minutes later? Every time right? Because that is what we must do because you don’t the random loading screen problem and I do?

Is that how you push the fault on to me because ANET cannot make loading in faster? or something wrong happens during loading and it takes a while to load in.

Because ANET can do no wrong right?

SirDrygan.1823

I should let people know…… everytime I join a group, I need to put out a disclaimer…….
Seriously……..

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

You honestly should give them a warning.

Back on my old computer, I would sometimes have long loading times, so I would indeed pass that warning every time. Most people that aren’t complete kittens will realize the obvious and overall I have never seen anyone kicked for taking too long to load. And if I ever came across that person, it’s probably a good thing because I wouldn’t want to spend my time with people like that.

Also, I’m not really sure if we can pin the blame on the game. It may just be your computer, since personally I’ve never seen long loading times outside of internet problems and a very specific WvW bug after I got a new computer.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Seera.5916

So, you solution is to tell everyone that I have a problem and be sure to wait for me even if I load in 5 minutes later? Every time right? Because that is what we must do because you don’t the random loading screen problem and I do?

Is that how you push the fault on to me because ANET cannot make loading in faster? or something wrong happens during loading and it takes a while to load in.

Because ANET can do no wrong right?

I’ve never loaded into the map with that long of a wait time, so it’s obviously not 100% on ANet. Part of it is your computer or your internet connection.

And as such, you should warn the others you play with that you are prone to 5+ minute long loading times.

Just because some of the blame is on ANet doesn’t give you a free pass to not warn others. Even if it was 100% on ANet, it would still not give you the right to warn others.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Warning people that a problem might happen is not the same as taking the blame for it.

You’re not telling the group about the long loading screens because it’s your fault and they need to know to blame you – you’re telling them because you’re the one who is aware the problem exists and therefore the only one who can tell them. It is only a work-around, but it’s better than saying nothing and getting kicked because they think you’ve disconnected or decided not to participate.

Just like in my old job I’d warn people that one of the paths was often extremely swampy and they may not want to go that way. I wasn’t saying it because it was my fault that it rained or that the path was low lying and just a dirt track, I was saying it because I was the person who knew about the problem and could warn them before they found out the hard way.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

FWIW, I understand (but cannot confirm) that the zone loading process can be held up by network issues. You might find it worth following this guide to see if you can identify one that maybe can be resolved?

Also, the `-maploadinfo` command line option will cause the game to show a bunch of information on the process, which might help understand where the delays come from.

You might also check to see if your hard disk is being kept super-busy by some background process at the time you are seeing these delays or something.

I’d … have to say that once you pass the sixty second mark, it seems highly likely that something solvable is happening, somewhere. It’s just a matter of finding it.

SirDrygan.1823

Very easy, I stop joining anything, because it’s my computer fault, my network fault, my fault……….

never ANET’s fault…….

I run an i7 with 10GB of RAM, with a GTX 960 Graphics card, a high speed HDD, all programs in the background are paused or turned off during GW2 sessions. My internet is pinging quite well because it’s not major patch week. If there is a patch week, I would never join Fractals, because my ping is 1k plus.

Next thing you know, Seera, you are going to tell me I need to upgrade to a better Processor , better graphics card, more RAM, buy an SSD with 90k iops read and write minimum, buy a better monitor because my monitor is lagging, get better internet, go report to support…etc.

oh, maybe I should also buy a new keyboard, mouse, immigrate to a country where ANET server is locate and stay almost next to the datacenter.

I shouldn’t be giving disclaimer everytime when I can load into LA in seconds, load into other maps in second, then and on the same session, it suddenly slows down when loading into Fractals.
it’s RANDOM. And it doesn’t happen ALL THE time either. I can go for weeks without any loading times, then suddenly it loads in slow……..

Whatever, I guess I need to go buy a new processor and other stuff now, since it’s my fault…….it always is…….
just like major patch week or LW patch…………

Seera.5916

Very easy, I stop joining anything, because it’s my computer fault, my network fault, my fault……….

never ANET’s fault…….

I run an i7 with 10GB of RAM, with a GTX 960 Graphics card, a high speed HDD, all programs in the background are paused or turned off during GW2 sessions. My internet is pinging quite well because it’s not major patch week. If there is a patch week, I would never join Fractals, because my ping is 1k plus.

Next thing you know, Seera, you are going to tell me I need to upgrade to a better Processor , better graphics card, more RAM, buy an SSD with 90k iops read and write minimum, buy a better monitor because my monitor is lagging, get better internet, go report to support…etc.

oh, maybe I should also buy a new keyboard, mouse, immigrate to a country where ANET server is locate and stay almost next to the datacenter.

I shouldn’t be giving disclaimer everytime when I can load into LA in seconds, load into other maps in second, then and on the same session, it suddenly slows down when loading into Fractals.
it’s RANDOM. And it doesn’t happen ALL THE time either. I can go for weeks without any loading times, then suddenly it loads in slow……..

Whatever, I guess I need to go buy a new processor and other stuff now, since it’s my fault…….it always is…….

None of us are saying that ANet’s in the clear with the issue. Just that given how long your load times are and how at least I haven’t, don’t get that, it can’t be 100% ANet. Because if it was, everyone would have the same issue. That’s how code works.

It could be that for whatever reason you’ve got some background process that kicks up at the wrong moment and causes the long load in time. And a background process due to optional, possibly third party, software – so not something everyone would have. And any program that’s not directly related to keeping Windows running is optional.

Like in Mass Effect 2, there were certain spots where if you hit it just right you would walk up on an item and not be able to get back down. One play through you hit the spot and the next you don’t – because you didn’t hit it just right.

Your computer with your hardware, your software, the path your internet takes to go back and forth to the ANet servers causes the random long loading screens. And yes, if you haven’t already reported the issue to ANet in a support ticket or a bug report you should. Because how can ANet find the cause on THEIR end if they don’t get data from players it does happen to? Or if they can’t find a cause, see if they can’t adjust the code so that it doesn’t conflict with a common thread between players who are affected.

For all they know, your “room mate” decided to download something really huge and caused internet lag on your end.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Read what SlippyCheeze said again. Just because the issue isn’t on your end does not mean that the issue is on ANet’s end.

The suggestion was to collect data first, via pingplotter and the -maploadinfo command line option.

If you aren’t able to diagnose this on your own, start a support ticket and work with ANet directly.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Miellyn.6847

Miellyn.6847

never ANET’s fault…….

10 GB ram is a number you don’t get with a proper setup. Either your ram is broken or you have a wierd configuration that can cause problems. Which would also explain why your load times spike at random, if you access broken or wierd configured ram areas.

Meena Wolfsgeist | Ranger
Ceana Mera | Mesmer
Indra Nebelklinge | Revenant

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

never ANET’s fault…….

I run an i7 with 10GB of RAM, with a GTX 960 Graphics card, a high speed HDD, all programs in the background are paused or turned off during GW2 sessions. My internet is pinging quite well because it’s not major patch week. If there is a patch week, I would never join Fractals, because my ping is 1k plus.[…]

10 GB ram is a number you don’t get with a proper setup. Either your ram is broken or you have a wierd configuration that can cause problems. Which would also explain why your load times spike at random, if you access broken or wierd configured ram areas.

Eh, it’s extremely unlikely that any performance difference from mismatched RAM would be notable, and it definitely can’t explain five-plus minute load times. Like, it’s one or two percent difference at absolute most. Just having 2×4GB and 2×1GB sticks or something gives you 10GB fine, and it works ok.

Much more likely given the comments about reasonably high performance local storage, etc, is that this is some network related problem. `-clientport 80` and `-clientport 443` have bypassed ISP throttling that “mistakes” GW2 traffic for torrents or whatever in some cases.

Using a VPN to try out bypassing that entirely can be effective to help localise it.. but, ultimately, SirDrygan.1823, I absolutely believe there is a problem, and I want to help you solve it to the best of my ability. (Without buying new anything.)

You are, though, absolutely welcome to avoid the “player to player” support forums here, and work with ANet via support ticket though. That will put you in touch with someone employed by the company who can work directly with you to help figure things out.

PS: as someone who works in IT, I learned a while back that I really should suppress my instinct to say “not /my/ gear”. which helps when I called my cable company because I had some packet loss, and they said “have you tried tightening the cables”; my thought was “no, because I have not touched them, and they have been fine for months.”

Turns out my cable had come a little loose, and by trying the “have you turned it off and on again” solution, I got my problem fixed, boom, just like that. It /is/ worth trying those common tests to eliminate the easy things.

ArchonWing.9480

Yea, RAM is generally pretty the most outspoken part when it comes to things not working. If the ram sticks won’t play together, the computer’s not going to even power on at all. Or you’ll see random crashes. It’s not going to be as subtle as load times.

I would definitely try clientport:80 as 1k+ ping times were reported, and if that’s a regular occurrence, then that could be a problem.

Mechanical hard drives are also somewhat prone to failure though I guess better these days. SSDs aren’t too expensive though. That should be at the end of the list.

Anyhow, I think OP, you really need to separate yourself from the problem. Having an issue with your computer or connection doesn’t make you any less of a person. This is no diffrent from telling people your plans might be cancelled because you have some kind of potential emergency elsewhere.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

That just sounds like mean people honestly. Whenever I run with a PUG I generally give people up to 5 minutes after they appear to DC in case its anything of this sort. And that’s even plenty of time to recover from an actual crash as long as your internet is still up.

Regardless, its definitely not your fault. You can’t make the loading screens take less time.

ehhhh you can but it will cost you ^^

ArchonWing.9480

About $50-70 and the trouble of reinstalling Windows. Not insignificant but worth it.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

10 is very interesting indeed… then again loading times tends to be limited by the disk speed and -not- the load speed of ram, which should not be lower then HDD or SSD output anyways…. even when using a weird setup, unless the timings are completely incompatable.

This said the fact things like your DIMMS can work or do work doesn’t mean the best part of these Gb’s of Ram are used to maximum capabilty or performance… You might see a performance gain when removing some RAM from your system… (likely the 2 Gb module OR the 2 1 Gb modules,)

As with all stuff in PC when coupled: RAM will defaut to the lowest grade DIMM speed in groups…

A cheap HDD on 4500 rpm on a a low power drive should have 25-45MB/s write and 55-75 MB/s read I guess, with some newer 7200 -10k rpm drives get 100MB+/s and 170MB+/s respectively…

My 5 yr old SSD gets 350MB/s and 450MB/s… modern SSD’s willbe around 550 Mb for a SATA3 type and 1800-2200MB/sec for a Pci-E x4 variant…

RAM should be about 100 times faster with the old ddr2 reaching transfers between 3 GB/sec to 8 GB/sec provided the types are comparable and do not cause a bottleneck…
DDR 3 and 4 will be faster still (ddr 3 6.4 GB/sec -17GB/sec)(ddr4 12.8GB/sec-19.2gB/sec) when operating as they need to, these numbers are affected by the speed of the RAM which is dependant on your systems motherboard and the proccessor…

If I was you I’d check my ram (my guess is you have 1 time 2 Gb and 1 time 8 Gb or 2 time 1 Gb and 2 times 4gb) and check I would like to invest in a faster medium to load from….

I do know guild wars 2 has a cache file, and my loading times tend to speed up if I remove it… I doubt however it will improve by a huge margin…

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)