"Kill" stealing with dailies

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vlawde.1895

Vlawde.1895

Not actual kill stealing per se, but things like someone stealing aggro from a mob when you are trying to get your dodges in, or stealing a player or npc that you are trying to heal for the daily. It’s getting ugly out there.

Posted by: neodome.7401

neodome.7401

While I do agree kill stealing is an annoyance there is absolutely dozens of zones to achieve the healer/dodge for daily. If I notice one area is not a good spot for what im trying to achieve I set out to another area that takes seconds to get to and can complete it super fast. I would recommend looking at a few different areas not only to change the scenery for dailys but it can keep your options open if there are some intolerable people where you are at the time.

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

From my observations things aren’t painfully bad, but it is interesting to note that in a group event if a player or NPC goes down, it’s not uncommon to see folks stop fighting and swarm over to revive. I’m guessing if some people get to the person/NPC too-late to participate in the revive they may feel “cheated”.

I’m not too concerned about it though. There are plenty of others to revive and getting that daily is not a problem.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

25 zones…at least 200 mobs per zone. if even 10% of those mobs are useable…it’s fine.

And I wouldn’t call healing another player “heal stealing”.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

I don’t know about kill or rez steeling per say as both people can get credit. The thing that makes me go booooooo is when you find a couple of NPC’s laying there waiting for a rez so you clear the mob off them only to turn around and see another guy run off after reviving them while you kept the mob busy.

Hardly a real problem though. Like others have said, it’s a big world with limitless opportunities to finish off dailies.

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

As a ranger, my pet steals aggro from me, even when it’s set to not attack at all. Makes the dodging achievement rather awkward sometimes.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

As a ranger, my pet steals aggro from me, even when it’s set to not attack at all. Makes the dodging achievement rather awkward sometimes.

My gf uses a ranger and has the same problem. Buy a cheap green greatsword. Spam 1 on a mob. You should get 1-2 dodges for most mobs and 4-6 for vets.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Perhaps a minor annoyance with multiple solutions, but another good example of how game mechanics and design decisions affect game culture. There are other problems with the new dailies. Consider the daily dodger. Perhaps Anet wanted to reinforce dodging behavior as it is a key element in the combat system. But, when I’m doing, say, tar elementals for the daily I hit them once ranged and then go through a series of dodges getting multiple evades. What it is actually teaching is not dodging (already knew that, thanks), it is teaching sub-optimal combat. It is an artificial behavior to get the daily done, not play the game as you normally would. This was actually one of the good things about the old dailies. I never had to think about them; I just played the game as I normally would and then, maybe, cleaned up kill variety before logging out. Reward for playing the game, ideally, should be for playing the game, not the reward system.

Posted by: Wayland.3528

Wayland.3528

Set the pet to passive. Attack once and then hit Esc to cancel auto attack. Dodge away. The pet shouldn’t take agro.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

this is an impossible issue you are having, i think you are dreaming

if you are really THAT focused on doing your dailies, do a dungeon run and any mob interaction related ones will be done by the end of it.

seriously, you dont need to farm dodges.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Sereloth.4378

Sereloth.4378

From my observations things aren’t painfully bad, but it is interesting to note that in a group event if a player or NPC goes down, it’s not uncommon to see folks stop fighting and swarm over to revive. I’m guessing if some people get to the person/NPC too-late to participate in the revive they may feel “cheated”.

I’m not too concerned about it though. There are plenty of others to revive and getting that daily is not a problem.

I’ve seen this too. I was in Orr doing events with a bunch of people before the daily started, and everyone seemed to prioritize damaging the boss before reviving. However, as soon as the daily started, a crowd would form on top of downed players to revive. I actually had a hard time getting to these downed people on time and I even got the message that there were too many resurrectors a few times. Haha. Eventually I got it without worrying too much about it though.

Posted by: Sereloth.4378

Sereloth.4378

Perhaps a minor annoyance with multiple solutions, but another good example of how game mechanics and design decisions affect game culture. There are other problems with the new dailies. Consider the daily dodger. Perhaps Anet wanted to reinforce dodging behavior as it is a key element in the combat system. But, when I’m doing, say, tar elementals for the daily I hit them once ranged and then go through a series of dodges getting multiple evades. What it is actually teaching is not dodging (already knew that, thanks), it is teaching sub-optimal combat. It is an artificial behavior to get the daily done, not play the game as you normally would. This was actually one of the good things about the old dailies. I never had to think about them; I just played the game as I normally would and then, maybe, cleaned up kill variety before logging out. Reward for playing the game, ideally, should be for playing the game, not the reward system.

That’s if you choose to view it that way. I choose to view it as training. The daily helps you train your evades 15 times each day. Yes, when you train, you go out of your way to increase your skill.

However, even viewing it as training, I’m still able to get the daily dodger completed during my normal gameplay. And I play mostly in range combat as staff elementalist!

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

However, someone may argue that they dodge way more than 15 times daily, just by playing the game (I know I do, though it must not be the case for every profession and/or playstyle.) Therefore, what you are saying doesn’t apply to them in particular-they are not “farming” the daily, but just enjoying the game as they would normally.

The only one new daily I don’t like is water combat (25…) I love the 5 veteran kills over the old 15 (now 13) different types of enemies, which I never loved to hunt for (since some areas I frequently played in didn’t have as many types of enemies.)

I don’t think this is a big issue, after all. If somebody wants to revive an NPC while in combat, that’s OK. There are way worse things a few people do in this game (arrogance, elitism, etc.), and the community on my server seems to be pretty great to this day, minus a few non-representative bad experiences.

Posted by: JK Arrow.7102

JK Arrow.7102

if you are really THAT focused on doing your dailies, do a dungeon run and any mob interaction related ones will be done by the end of it.

You do if you want the XP bonus on an alt.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

what does this even mean
i smell a non sequitur

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

what does this even mean
i smell a non sequitur

I was wondering the same thing

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

I don’t know about kill or rez steeling per say as both people can get credit. The thing that makes me go booooooo is when you find a couple of NPC’s laying there waiting for a rez so you clear the mob off them only to turn around and see another guy run off after reviving them while you kept the mob busy.

Hardly a real problem though. Like others have said, it’s a big world with limitless opportunities to finish off dailies.

Seen that a couple of times now. Even in this game, inventive kitten find new ways to grief. At least the setback is pretty minor.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Perhaps a minor annoyance with multiple solutions, but another good example of how game mechanics and design decisions affect game culture. There are other problems with the new dailies. It is an artificial behavior to get the daily done, not play the game as you normally would. This was actually one of the good things about the old dailies. I never had to think about them; I just played the game as I normally would and then, maybe, cleaned up kill variety before logging out.

Yeah, I definitely farm my dailies and if the new numbers of players showing up at Metrica Province’s Thaumanova Reactor lately are any indication, I’m not alone. Since I don’t do dungeons or WvW, I farm most of my dailies in Metrica or Caledon Forest, as these maps have ideal locations suitable for fast, efficient completion of most any daily combination.

It’s not how I normally play, but since I’d like to use laurels, it’s how I play now to achieve that goal.

Posted by: Shaidan.1503

Shaidan.1503

Jump in WvW, meet up and charge into an enemy zerg with all your defensive abilities. Dodge a couple times. Complete

Also plenty of zones to do rezzing with events that result in the deaths of many NPCs. Or find a couple buddies willing to take a couple dives off a cliff for you.

Rapskallion | 80 Asura Thief | Dungeon Master
Xunlai Agency [XA] | Blackgate – Since Day 1

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

Not actual kill stealing per se, but things like someone stealing aggro from a mob when you are trying to get your dodges in, or stealing a player or npc that you are trying to heal for the daily. It’s getting ugly out there.

“Stealing” implies previous possession. You don’t own the mob/npc you’re “dodge/heal farming”. They’re not doing anything against the rules. They killed your mob? Get a new one. And I’m not entirely sure how they can “steal” a revive… but whatever.

Other players aren’t forced to play the way you want. Deal with it.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Go into an instance alone. Problem solved.

Posted by: Grunties.6841

Grunties.6841

It is ugly in Orr, I do the events with the Zerg and the bots because I usually have no choice, but I do the rest of the requirements off on my own. Kittenhats abound.

Posted by: Laufey.5129

Laufey.5129

Never noticed any of this other than fewer dead NPCs. And even so, if someone else is running towards them and I’m closer, I wait until they’re here before I start to revive. If you are in Orr, participate in a few events, there will be plenty of downed players.

I have no idea what the issue with dodging is. Find a ranged foe such as the grubs or tar elementals and dodge their attack if you want to get it done quickly, it’s quite easy. I’ve never had anyone just run in and kill them, not even in Orr. Also, I assume if you told them what you’re doing they’d most likely leave.

Posted by: Basharic.1654

Basharic.1654

Dodging – It’s stupid easy to get without even thinking about it. Though being a guardian increases the difficulty.

Healer – You obviously don’t know about certain events that result in piles of NPC bodies because no one bothers with them. Think giant in Diessa.

As far the daily healer goes, I am blessed with a buddy that enjoys a good fall and splat, so we usually announce in LA that we are doing our darndest to hit the rock below the diving board. Then we have a fun little splat party until everyone who comes out has their daily done. The side game we play there is to see who can get deepest into the water while being dead from the fall by chipping off the rock.

We also like to throw ourselves off the top of the volcano in Mt. Maelstom. Though that isn’t for the daily. It’s for the lulz . . . and either to see who can get the furthest or who can bounce off the most stuff on the way down.

Posted by: Eddard.2930

Eddard.2930

Not too worried about this. There are many places where you can find mobs to dodge and heal allies.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming like the people in his car.

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Or you could just play normally, like the person who ‘stole’ your kill is doing.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: Reaver.9256

Reaver.9256

So I was just killing things right around the MaW waypoint yesterday as I normally do if I’m chilling there. I started getting yelled at and mean pms sent to me from a guy saying he was doing his dodging daily on one of the guys there or something. I ignored him and kept doing what I was doing. Sometimes silence solves all problems……

Posted by: Rynn.1324

Rynn.1324

This. If you’re having to farm dodges, you definitely need to analyze how you’re playing.

[Tarnished Coast] Lizzibeth Huffles, Asuran Genius (Engineer) at Play

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

I’d rather have traditional questing system over this daily and monthly achievements that provide you with useful items. At least questing systems have some sort of story to it and adds greatly to the world’s image.

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

Posted by: Derk.3189

Derk.3189

Seriously guys, you’re doing it wrong. Round up like 5 mobs and you can randomly dodge and get a few evades in.

Or use flamethrower flame legion mobs, earth elementals with their line aoe earth attacks, you don’t need to bait a dodge out of anything, its mindlessly easy.

Posted by: Osculim.2983

Osculim.2983

For the people with rangers veteran iceworms is a great way to get the dodge thing done even if your pet got aggro the worm will always throw a rock at a person at range

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

Last time I played a ranger you could unsummon the pet, having no pet active at all…
Did they change that? Or people are complaining about the pet just to have something to complain about?

Posted by: Paradox.5498

Paradox.5498

Last time I played a ranger you could unsummon the pet, having no pet active at all…
Did they change that? Or people are complaining about the pet just to have something to complain about?

The Stow Pet function seems a bit broken atm: more often than not nothing happens if I try to unsummon my pet.
But I never had trouble dodging 15 times. Ice worms do a long range boulder toss, easy to evade. Ettins clearly herald their more powerful attacks, easy to evade. Or just aggro 5 random mobs and dodge like a mad hatter and you get several evades at once.

Posted by: Winfernal.9208

Winfernal.9208

When i see someone attacking a mob i also need for “x event”, i kill it with him. Because this is the nature of GW2, cooperation. I don’t think “He is working on his dodge daily, i will grief him!”.

Please, tell people that you are working on your daily if it bothers you THAT much. Social interaction, guys. Even if you might think so, it’s not always griefing and harm that is in peoples mind when this happens.

This is a non-issue, really.

“Kharomir” – Human Guardian
[DW] Dynasty Warriors, [TNA] The Northern Assembly
http://www.farshiverpeaks.com

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

This thread is kittening embarassing, a prime example rise of the pleblords.

I’ve got no problem with people gaming the system and abusing attacks to get their laurels instead of playing the game, but doing this and then complaining about it is just dull. Fact.

If you game the system to try and get your dailies without playing the game then you shouldn’t be surpirsed when something goes wrong. Besides, you can do your kittenty little dodging thing literally everywhere. Literally every creep that attacks you. It really begs the question, why don’t you people dodge and why do you have to find special little places to get your silly little daily for muh farming? How do you do Lupi? How do you survive in WvW? Are you the same people who complain about kholer being too hard? I bet you’re playing warriors.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

(edited by Writetyper.1985)

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

I don’t care if if it’s a npc or someone in the persons guild. If I need the daily, I’m reviving them.

Should have been faster to share the credit.

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

Last time you played a ranger, what did you actually do with it? Log on to mine some ore nod and then log off again? If you actually played a bit more than that you’d know you can’t put the pet away permanently: you hide it, you get hit by a mob, the pet pops out automatically because you received damage- want it or not. By the looks you are complaining about people complaining, while they aren’t actually complaining but stating how it actually works. Or doesn’t work how it’s supposed to in that matter.

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

This is my issue with a few of the dailies. Behavior I had not witnessed prior to this new set, and laurels. Kill stealing? It doesn’t exist in this game. It’s a complaint only because people are trying to get the dodge as fast as possible.

Same thing with rezzing, never thought I would see a time when people would all-cap scream in chat and harass someone for simply Defending an npc. “let it die, you idiot”.
Someone rezzing an npc while you fought an attacker? Also not a problem before, but a bone of contention now.

The very nature of how a LOT of people are pursuing these dailies has brought in confrontational issues in the open world that just did not exist, prior. One of the better points of the game is open intuitive cooperation across the world. I hate to see that diminished.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: Crimsony.2514

Crimsony.2514

Fortunately no one has hurled abuse at me in chat for killing their enemy or keeping their NPC alive yet, if it happens I’ll simply report and ignore them.

There are tons of places to get dodging or reviving done super fast without needing to get mad at people. Like the Thaumanova reactor! There are little asura corpses left and right, tons of kill variety, a fair amount of veterans, and little ice turrets that can be easily dodged.

Things too crowded on your server? Then just guest or go somewhere else…

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

How does one steal a revive from npc? you both get credit for it. As for dodges.. there is literally millions of mobs out there, if this one dies just find another.. a player isn’t going to stalk every one of the mobs you want to dodge with. I certainly haven’t encountered such issue. Maybe you should try a less populated area of the map?

Posted by: Killigraphy.3075

Killigraphy.3075

How about communicating with others and joining teams? MMO <—-doesn’t mean; “I’m the only players that deserves this”

Heaven cannot brook two suns, nor Earth two masters.

Posted by: Weebitt.3157

Weebitt.3157

I’m sure most of time it’s people who think they are helping you out. All you need to do is let them know you are doing your dodges. Yeah, doing dodges as ranger with pet is a headache, so I just look for veterns because if they beat your pet down then they will go after you.

Posted by: Feycat.4370

Feycat.4370

I have literally watched people standing around watching people in combat go down – me included – so that they can rez.

THAT is ugly.

Game enjoyment increases as time spent on the forums decreases.

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

I will rez all dead and kill all mobs. Anyone who has a problem with that can just grow up and move 20 inches to the right for their next target.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

So far I haven’t encountered any of this nonsense.
It is so easy to get multiple dailies at once doing events that it is just not an issue.
On my server people seem to party more in order to do their dailies so everyone gets what they need.
There is generally a lot of joking on map chat/say about dailies and people calling out to others in order to help- it has actually really been fun.

That said I res all and kill all..and take over camps alone to get my dodge ;P

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

I go to the most empty zone I can find now for daily. For rez I found a nice area, and won’t say where. Karka are good for dodge. Although, I get hit more now timing dodge for an “evade” update then I did just dodging the attack.

I won’t go to either newbie zone anymore. It’s just too bad there.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.