Kinda lonely.

Kinda lonely.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: BleuSkillet.2130

BleuSkillet.2130

So, I play on ehmry bay. It’s kind of ironic how there are so many people running around, and I can still feel so lonely in the game. I’ve been playing more of the pvp, and not so much the story at all, just because I kinda wish I had someone to do it all with. A lot of times I walk up to random people and say hey, but never get any reply back :/.
Hope to find a good friend to play with soon I hope.

Kinda lonely.

Posted by: Leeto.1570

Leeto.1570

http://www.gw2guilds.org/guilds/us/ehmry-bay
1. Find which one suits you.
2. Write good application.
3. Make friends.
4. Enjoy.

Kinda lonely.

Posted by: MobMama.5648

MobMama.5648

Hiya Bleu! I’m also on Ehmry Bay. Please feel free to add me to your friends list to quest, explore, chat, etc etc. I’ve a guild of 3, so far, you’re welcome to join if you’d like, if not that’s totally fine too!

p.s. The lack of reply from others in chat could be because they just didn’t see it. I’ve found responses can get lost in the chat box easily with everything popping up so quickly.

(edited by MobMama.5648)

Kinda lonely.

Posted by: dalendria.3762

dalendria.3762

Bleuskillet like Leeto said, find a guild that is a fit for you. I did research of several guilds before headstart. I found a great one. We are small but the group is fun. Just spent over 4 hours with six of them in WvW last night.

I am sometimes shy in MMOs and have had mixed experiences with guilds. But I would say this game is very group/guild friendly. Again, do some research, talk to people about a guild that interest you, then join.

Can you feel it? HOT HOT HOT

Kinda lonely.

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

Come play on jade quarry I’ll be your friend lol

We’ll exchange skype tags and stay on voice while we play
It’ll be grand.

Hell we could even start our own guild and invite only cute girls to be members.

Kinda lonely.

Posted by: Avatar.1923

because a guild can;
give you a group for dungeons
give you a platoon for wvwvw
and if its a big guild, advise when world boss are up.

Kinda lonely.

Posted by: Avatar.1923

but yeah, playing with real life friend is better imo.

Kinda lonely.

Posted by: Rick.1378

Rick.1378

It’s very lonely, much more so than a sub MMO even though they have become lonely as well. What’s worse is that zone chat has died down quite a bit, at least on my server, although maybe it’s because I’m in 50-60 zones so maybe there are less players. I can go all day and see maybe a dozen comments in chat.

Even though the way GW2 solved some of the grouping, quest, tagging, harvesting, etc issues was genius on one hand, on the other hand it took away some social aspect of MMO’s. You get to do stuff coop all the time in the game, it’s a huge relief to not have to group or coordinate quest objectives, but with that comes the decreased need to actually communicate with other players. Guilds are hit or miss, I’ve been invited to half a dozen large guilds, I’ve represented each for a couple of days and rarely see any guild chat so I think you have to know the people before hand or get lucky.

GW2 at the end of the day is a great single player game with coop options IMO, I try to enjoy it that way.

Kinda lonely.

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

I know exactly what you mean and I also have determined why it feels this way (for me anyway).

1.) The game’s action-combat is very independent focused. You really don’t need anyone else (except to res you on occasion) so you end up playing with others but you aren’t putting team strategy to work. You don’t need them and they don’t need you. Although I never liked the holy trinity. I think strategic team work is important outside of explorable dungeons. As a level 78 who’s cleared the 60-70 zones I can tell you this does not change and in fact the feeling only gets worse to the point that you begin to realize this core element of GW1 and well pretty much any MMO is missing.

2.) All dialog, scripting, writing, etc… All the work ArenaNet put into the STORY of the game the player is going to experience is isolated to this Personal Story instances (little green stars guide you there). This is somewhat tailored for your character based on race, profession and character creation choices. This the the part of the game that gives the player a sense of progressing forward towards a greater goal and it’s designed to be played entirely solo! What’s more, you can’t repeat any of it! Most players are doing these instances alone and pulling in friends only when they have to. That is how they are designed to be played. This adds to the lonely experience because you are experiencing the best parts of the game and the scripted story alone.

The combination of these things makes GW2 feel like the loneliest MMO ever. The only players don’t need you, you don’t need them and they are rarely with you when you are experiencing the best parts of the game. How is this good design for an MMO again? I get “we’re going to innovate” but how is this good?

(edited by SamTheGuardian.2938)

Kinda lonely.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Zone chats do seem to be pretty quiet,eventhough there are many people playing,how abou a merge of some kind ? I’d rather see one world chat tbh,sometimes you have a conversation with someone but only have to end it,because you’re leaving the zone.

Kinda lonely.

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

I know exactly what you mean and I also have determined why it feels this way (for me anyway).

1.) The game’s action-combat is very independent focused. You really don’t need anyone else (except to res you on occasion) so you end up playing with others but you aren’t putting team strategy to work. You don’t need them and they don’t need you. Although I never liked the holy trinity. I think strategic team work is important outside of explorable dungeons. As a level 78 who’s cleared the 60-70 zones I can tell you this does not change and in fact the feeling only gets worse to the point that you begin to realize this core element of GW1 and well pretty much any MMO is missing.

2.) All dialog, scripting, writing, etc… All the work ArenaNet put into the STORY of the game the player is going to experience is isolated to this Personal Story instances (little green stars guide you there). This is somewhat tailored for your character based on race, profession and character creation choices. This the the part of the game that gives the player a sense of progressing forward towards a greater goal and it’s designed to be played entirely solo! What’s more, you can’t repeat any of it! Most players are doing these instances alone and pulling in friends only when they have to. That is how they are designed to be played. This adds to the lonely experience because you are experiencing the best parts of the game and the scripted story alone.

The combination of these things makes GW2 feel like the loneliest MMO ever. The only players don’t need you, you don’t need them and they are rarely with you when you are experiencing the best parts of the game. How is this good design for an MMO again? I get “we’re going to innovate” but how is this good?

Its a similar design they had for their first game, only then you could even do everything with just hench people and heroes and just heroes later on and much later… alts.

But the dynamic events, do bring people together, a lot more than what ive experience from other MMOs, so that counts for something.

But as far as playing with people…. theres no real incentive but I dont think there should be (there is one actually a title for having high combo counts). This part of the game isnt up to the game to tell people to, Alright you must hold hands for the entire lenght of the game.

It should be up to the people to work together on a non global scale event, like just helping someone find that one missing poi they have or getting that hard vista showing another person a jumping puzzle, but yeah people are just too busy doing their own thing and still stick to the old fashioned MMO mentality, must solo everything.

Kinda lonely.

Posted by: the uprising.6317

the uprising.6317

Which brings up a good point that was brought up in the press beta, but all the fanboys were like “naaaah, that won’t happen”. Its that none of the content requires you to socialize with your allies. Ppl come together to do a DE, and just as quickly disperse, not a single word said to each other, the content doesn’t promote people coming together and bonding. DE’s and stuff would be fine if they didn’t flat out replace normal questing. Heck, b/c of how easy kitten is you don’t even have to cooperate with your allies! Just 1, 1, 1 your way to victory.

Inb4 I get buried by fanboys and/or this post gets removed by mods lolol

Kinda lonely.

Posted by: knightblaster.8027

knightblaster.8027

The equation they were addressing with the auto group system that the game has was the fact, the absolute fact, that in MMOs in the last 8-10 years the trend has been very strongly towards solo gaming, and people not wanting to befriend strangers on the internet to play a video game, MMO or otherwise. In most other MMOs, this has resulted in a stark disparity between “leveling content” and “endgame content”, with the former being almost all content designed around solo missions (in an open world or otherwise) and the latter being almost all content designed around organized groups of friends, groups which increasingly spanned more than one game and were not open to outsiders or “pubbies”.

Different game designs have tried to address this in different ways over the years, in terms of bringing more “group” content into an inherently multiplayer open world, but trying to do it in the context of people not wanting to really socialize much with strangers on the internet in a video game. WAR had public quests, RIFT had its rifts and invasions and so on. DEs are GW2’s take on this — group content that doesn’t require socializing with internet strangers in order to complete. The difference is that GW2 also redesigned its combat approach at the same time, so that these two redesigns are additive: that is, the main open world group content does not require socialization, but it also doesn’t require much coordination because each class is designed to be self-sufficient. Some players will like this, but afficionados of the older school approach of set pieces with 5-man roles and coordination will not like it. Because it is additive in terms of the design intersection with DEs, for people who do not like this, the dislike will also tend to be additive.

I like the system fine, but I can understand why others would not.

Kinda lonely.

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

Feel free to add me to friend’s list, Gunnar’s Hold players, and send me a message if you just want company while we go around killing red dots. I have a Lv 80 but a bunch of alts too.

— edit —
This game doesn’t have red dots x_X They’re just invisible dots though, and must be killed.

(edited by lorazcyk.8927)

Kinda lonely.

Posted by: Lumines.3916

Lumines.3916

I find that mapchat is usually filled with banter and or people calling out events, it’s not too shabby.

I also never had a problem with grouping out in the open world, just by saying hello and following up with a question to see if people wanted to group up usually worked. If anything, as playtime drags on, we sometimes end up picking up more and suddenly have a full party before anyone knows it. And once you’re grouped, it’s much easier to carry a conversation in /party.

There’s not that big of a need to group in order to tackle a lot of the content that’s true, but grouping up always makes things go faster as you have more man power. Not everyone is looking to group but perhaps be more proactive in your approach. If you’re just saying a “Hi!” and then proceed stare at the other player, what do you expect the other person to do but reply a “Hey” and waltz off?

I found a lot of decent people this way that I eventually added to friends list. Some are even people I play with regularly now.

Also, not raging in sPvP helps a lot. I usually go for smaller servers outside of tournaments as I think 8v8s are too zergy. 2v2~5v5 servers are my favorite as you can usually get people to let you 1v1 or have small skirmishes. Exchange tips, friendly banter and observe good etiquette and it’s very easy to meet people even cross realm this way.

Unless it’s the server communities just being really different, then I’m glad I chose Blackgate.

(edited by Lumines.3916)

Kinda lonely.

lorazcyk.8927

It’s not just a matter of manpower (I’m doing okay solo) or knowing were events are, but playing and experiencing things together “Look at that doylak flying!” or “Geez… can’t believe we made it…”

I’m really not sure how to explain. To make playing with others more meaningful. It feels like something’s missing.

I just end up logging in and resting my chin on my hand, staring at the screen, and sighing

Just if I were going to play a solo game I’d have bought Skyrim or some such. Alteast there would be no lag ;P

(I have a guild BTW)

(edited by lorazcyk.8927)

Kinda lonely.

Posted by: Fozzik.1742

Fozzik.1742

Talk to people. Feeling lonely in a crowd is a problem with the way you are approaching things, not with the game itself. No game is going to force people to be your friend or talk to you if you aren’t willing to make the first move. You also have to be ready and willing to deal with possible failure or some negative interactions (not every interaction with another live human being is always going to be predictable, but that’s okay).

You sound very much like a wallflower at a party… claiming the party is no good because you sat in the corner and didn’t enjoy yourself. Get out there and mix it up!

Kinda lonely.

lorazcyk.8927

I talk with people. All the time. That’s not the problem even ^^