Kinda regret crafting a GS.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: aophts.9862

aophts.9862

So, i crafted the Foefire’s Essence and i’m using now for 4 days i think.

But i’m starting to regret it.

I wanted because of the look, because i wanted my character to use something expensive and hard to get and because i wanted people to look and comment and say: “hey, nice GS!” “wow, that is an amazing GS, can i see it?

But no, people just don’t give a kitten , but if i was wearing a Sunrise ( i wouldn’t go for Twilight because it doesn’t fit for my guardian [personal thing] ), things would be different.

I think it’s because the ascalonian GS and Cobalt are kinda similar you know, one is blue with a ghost fog/flame and the other one has a very well done (imo) blue flame effect and then people kinda don’t see anything amazing or nice about the Foefire.

Now i feel like i just wasted time and i should have put the GS to sell for 470g.

argh, i hate myself.

:(

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Just wait for the new Legendary GS. Everyone’s trying too hard to be an edgy cool kid with the current onez.

The Katana is best GS currently imo though. Doesn’t even need particle effectz to be sexy. On that note I used to use Cobalt on my Guardian but it hurt/annoyed my eyes after a while and I switched to the version of it that has no effects cuz the sword itself looked cool. That was changed to Belinda’s the moment they added it though. :o

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

As time has gone on, the wow factor has lessened. I got the Moot 6 months after launch and a small number commented. No one comments now because there is such an array of beautiful weapons on offer from many diff places.

This isn’t the type of game will will gush over items you have. I do see compliments about the combinations of social people devise though, since the breadth of variety is enormous in this game.

The morale of the story is to get something that makes you think “wow”, not for what others think

Posted by: Ralanost.8913

Ralanost.8913

Sorry, very little is prestigious in this game. Legendaries are surprisingly prolific. But honestly, I’m never going to fanboy over someone else’s gear and send them tells asking about it. I will craft my own Foefire’s Essence in time because I too think it looks amazing. I don’t care if no one else notices. It’s for me to appreciate, not to get others to pat me on the back for having it.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Yeah, I made legendaries and pretty skins because I thought they were pretty or cool. I honestly don’t care if anyone comes up to me and admires my weapon(s). If you make something to impress other people instead of for yourself, you’re going to end up disappointed more often than not. At least that’s my opinion, anyway.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Sorry to say it’s extremely unlikely that would ever happen, no matter which weapon you were using.

I finished my first legendary a few months ago – The Dreamer – which incites very strong emotions in a lot of people (both good and bad) and you know how many random comments I’ve gotten? None. Well, my guild said well done when I finished it and my guild leader sent me cake. But that’s it.

You should choose equipment and skins based on what you like, not what you imagine other people in the game might like. That way you’re far less likely to be disappointed.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Sthenith.5196

Sthenith.5196

When i look at some characters looks, i think to myself “now that’s not nice at all” because the colors don’t match up in my opinion. But then i think “it’s MY opinion, but not my character” and who the hell am i to comment on someones preference in looks anyways.

If people like their character then that’s good enough i think. Some might not like my skins or dyes, but the only one who should care about that is me.

And the same goes for any weapon skin.

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

I wanted because of the look, because i wanted my character to use something expensive and hard to get and because i wanted people to look and comment and say: “hey, nice GS!” “wow, that is an amazing GS, can i see it?

But no, people just don’t give a kitten , but if i was wearing a Sunrise ( i wouldn’t go for Twilight because it doesn’t fit for my guardian [personal thing] ), things would be different.

I think it’s because the ascalonian GS and Cobalt are kinda similar you know, one is blue with a ghost fog/flame and the other one has a very well done (imo) blue flame effect and then people kinda don’t see anything amazing or nice about the Foefire.

Now i feel like i just wasted time and i should have put the GS to sell for 470g.

argh, i hate myself.

Doing something for attention is never a good idea.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

“Oh, my shiny thing isn’t shiny enough! If only I’d made a slightly shinier thing, then people would notice and love me!”

No, we won’t. We’ve seen them all by now, and only the BLC ticket ones are any surprise these days. We don’t need to ask what it is or how to get it. A sword just won’t do it, and those glowing surfboards that people use for legendary greatswords are actually kind of annoying to be around.

If you really want your character to stand out, you need to stop and think about the ENTIRE look. Skin/fur/leaves. Hair. Clothes. Weapons. They ALL need to work together if you really want to catch people’s attention. Otherwise, you’re just slapping shiny bits on because they’re shiny.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

You just gotta be really sure it’s something you like for yourself personally. I get comments on my Incinerators sometimes still although I more-so made it for myself because I have an obsession with flamethrowers in video games and those are like mini ones to me. It’s a hard weapon to obtain but many people still have it. However I’ll always regret wasting a BL ticket on a Jade Dagger and a SAB token on Storm Wizard Dagger ever since they added wardrobe though. Thankfully I knew it would be a horrible idea to craft 2 Incinerators cuz the chances of an awesome new dagger/legendary being added were always there. I might make the new Legendary Dagger to Dual with it if I like it more than whatever new weapon or SB they add for Thief.

As Ralanost said, there isn’t many majorly prestigious items in this game~ the top ones would be the Storm Wizard weapons, which is why I’m sometimes more proud of my Yellow SAB Shortbow than I am my Legendary Daggers. I had to walk through the gates of hell and reach satan himself and manage to return alive for those weapons.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

What’s funny is that my alternate chart mesmer runs around with the Firebringer sword and mad memories back piece and people constantly whisper me about them. I feel they’re both pretty common

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Never craft for other’s approval. Never chose your char’s outfits by what some random other person might like. You’re the only person who will be seeing your char day in and day out. If the Foefire makes your heart glad when you see it, then it’s the right skin for you. Each of my chars have carefully selected weapons and armor skins to make a look. Some are cheap karma skins. Some are expensive. Maybe no one will ever compliment me on them, but who cares. If I like it that’s what matters. And that’s what should matter to you.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I don’t understand anything the OP said. No one cares about your weapon but you. Don’t get a weapon to impress people, because they don’t care. No one would even care if you had eternity. It’s not new, it’s not unique. Yes it’s hard to get, but so what, it has nothing to do with anyone but you and those who got it.

I for one have never looked at a weapons and felt the need to ask the owner about it, but if I really cared I could find it in the wardrobe, then look up how to get it on the wiki. I will, however, comment on a well put together armor, because that’s more than just “I got this hard thing,” it takes style and the effort to make it happen.

So stop worrying about your stupid sword. Just use the one you think looks good.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: aophts.9862

aophts.9862

Err, i don’t understand why the aggressivity.

This is a MMO after all, it is always nice to gain a compliment once in a while and i didn’t craft the GS only thinking about showing off or something like that, jesus.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

That’s not really how your OP came out as though. Maybe a quick edit might be in order.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

This is a MMO after all, it is always nice to gain a compliment once in a while and i didn’t craft the GS only thinking about showing off or something like that, jesus.

Not only thinking about showing it off, no. But your post showed that that was a major consideration.

argh, i hate myself.

These comments show that it’s others you wanted to impress more than making a look to make yourself happy.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Really? Because this tells a different story

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

No. People don’t give a kitten about Sunrise either.

Seriously, everyone else has covered the central lesson well. Don’t chase prestige. She is a fickle mistress.

But, BTW, good choice on a rarer weapon. ;D

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

Agree with the above people. Make something because YOU want it, not because of any sort of status or validation for others.

Even then, it seems rare to have someone comment on your choices or what you have. In the nearly 3 years I’ve been playing, it’s happened to me a grand total of 4 times, and only once about a “prestige” weapon.

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

~snip~

If you really want your character to stand out, you need to stop and think about the ENTIRE look. Skin/fur/leaves. Hair. Clothes. Weapons. They ALL need to work together if you really want to catch people’s attention. Otherwise, you’re just slapping shiny bits on because they’re shiny.

This player knows what they’re talking about.

~thumbs up~

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

Sometimes when everyone is hanging out before an event kicks off you can see people pivot and edge this way and that. You can see that some people are checking out others gear and look but they’re not likely to say anything about it. What you might now know is that people tend to be more interested in the non rare but obscure items they see that they might have over looked and will now go hunt down.

Kash
NSP

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I just pay random people some gold to admire me in map chat.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Shout if you get any vacancies. I can crank sycophancy up to 11 when required

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Shout if you get any vacancies. I can crank sycophancy up to 11 when required

I have to get back to you on this as i dont know what sycophancy means. But i just paid some scrub in map chat to find out for me.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

I have eternity. Nobody cares. I don’t even care. I also have bolt and kudzu and meh

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

To be honest OP. There are so many skins and there are so few that people agree look amazing. Myself think every Legendary weapon bar The Flameseeker Prophecy’s don’t look all that great. But that’s just me. In game friends love them, and that’s great. Weapon skins for me are hard to say what’s nice and what’s not. I think your armor and profession play a part in how a weapon looks. Cobolt with Ascalon and Priory armor looks really cool IMO. Same for Ascalon Great Sword, looks amazing with Human T3.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Arioso.8519

Arioso.8519

There is only ONE thing that is so prestigious/rare/hard to get that you will impress people with it.

Full set of Hellfire/Radiant.

Because you need some insane amount of achievements to max those out.

One of the very few times where I saw someone compliment someone for having legendary weapons was when someone in my party said “Hey nice weapon set!” To someone with both Zap and The Flameseeker Prophecies. Because he ALSO had Zap and Flameseeker Prophecies on. He was commenting on them both having the same two legendaries duel wielded, not on how unique it is.

That should tell you something.

If you’re fishing for compliments, yeah it takes a full body look.

I’ll never remember someone for having a legendary, but I remember that there’s an Anet mod named “Prince Superfly” with a full disco outfit and afro. (yeah, the red mod tag kinda makes you stand out regardless, but I’d remember the disco outfit anyways, not to mention I’ve seen several mods by now, but Prince Superfly is the only one I actually remember the name and look of)

And I’ve partied with a couple people that had really close cosplays, like a sailor moon outfit, and I saw a guy in PvP with a Winnie the Pooh costume; Stuff like that you notice and remember.

Posted by: Gerrand.3085

Gerrand.3085

I on the other hand bought Majory’s dagger in the gem store for the slightest sliver of the resources you put into your GS – and the amount of inquiries I get about it is irritating.

That said, I really like Foe fire’s essence. May craft it at some point for the Guardian I never use.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

things wouldnt be different at all if you were using sunrise instead
legendaries are nothing special anymore since long time (especially since they can be traded they are worthelss)

dont go for expensive items

go for items that FIT TOGETHER!

i for example dont waste any second look for people who have 10 legendaries and whatever

but if i see a nicely combined armor … good matching colors and fitting weapons to that style!
then i am impressed no matter if the weapons are expensive or not

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

(edited by Orangensaft.7139)

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

argh, i hate myself.

Less people would be as impressed by your Sunrise as you think. Don’t do things because of what other people will think; do things because of what YOU will think of them.

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Try making a set with it. I never got much mention on any one thing I’ve gotten, which has been a bit disappointing at times. But more recently I created this full mix and match look for my Necromancer and (not to brag) have gotten comments almost daily sometimes more than once.

Point is, people tend to notice an cool full package if you can be creative. A single skin is the artist’s work, but clever usage of their work makes a unique collage that can draw attention. Foefire makes a wonderful centerpiece for a full concept character design, so let it be that and keep going with it.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

This is probably not a good reason to craft something in a game… Make something YOU like, not something that you think will be good for “bling” or to show off, you will be much happier with the end result

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

I wanted because of the look, because i wanted my character to use something expensive and hard to get and because i wanted people to look and comment and say: “hey, nice GS!” "wow, that is an amazing GS, can i see it? "

argh, i hate myself.

Your original post suggested otherwise. Here is the good news, your greatsword is probably a lot rarer than all those Sunrise or Twilights.

Here is the bad news, you are about 2.5 years to late for people to give a sh*** about your one super expensive item.

Try to make an entire well rounded look taking into account every visible item, or better yet, don’t define your own happiness via what others think or comment on, you’ll only get disapointed.

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

I don’t like the flashy weapons anyway. My warrior is rocking the Wooden Sword!

Posted by: jihm.2315

jihm.2315

well legendary staff looks good in my opinion when i see one i like it but i dont say anything to the owner
you cant change stats on legendaries? that and only might be a good thing

action combat made mmos better lol

Posted by: Kysin.6349

Kysin.6349

Truth is, the legendary GS(s) are probably the most commonly used skin in the game. Yeah cool effects, but not unique at all. I stopped getting comments on my first legendary (which I made 4 months after the game was released) about 3 months after I crafted it. I don’t use legendary skins anymore, because like I said, most of them are the most commonly used skins atm. Here is another nugget, if you desire people to comment about anything, then make a unique mix-and-match armor/weapon/hair/face setup.

Co-leader of Knights of Eminence[Sir] – PvX
Reap The Weak[Reap] – WvW 5-man havok
-Blackgate

Posted by: TheDuck.4526

TheDuck.4526

Single pieces of gear don’t impress anyone because everyone’s seen everything. What will get people’s attention (and comments) are creative armor & dye combos. No joke, if I appreciate someone’s sense of style, then I will go out of my way to tell them.

If you really want to, then go take a look at gw2style— it’s loaded with people who appreciate looking at other people’s characters and showing off their own.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Honestly I don’t even really care about twilight/sunrise/eternity any more. greatswords of every shape and size are all over the place due to how many classes use them. I see the GS legendaries 10 times more than I see any other.

Get a skin because you want it, not because you want people to react to it.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

I think it’s nice when people have foefire’s, I don’t send them compliments though.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: Corran.4957

Corran.4957

I agree, doing things for compliments is never going to work, just do it because you like it. If you truelly liked the sword then 4 days later you would still like it. Something was wrong in decision making.

Legendaries are nothing. I have bolt on my mesmer that rarely ever gets logged on, and incinerator for my necro that also isnt used. tbh the only time i get them mentioned is if I am annoying someone I know wants both and log on thief to dance around infront weilding them both.

Just go for overall looks. Either pick a weapon and from that build your armour.. or make your armour and fit a weapon you like to it.. or just dont care… personally I got more comments about my random armour kittenty necro (literally every piece is different set) then I ever got about any weapon I used

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Single pieces of gear don’t impress anyone because everyone’s seen everything. What will get people’s attention (and comments) are creative armor & dye combos. No joke, if I appreciate someone’s sense of style, then I will go out of my way to tell them.

If you really want to, then go take a look at gw2style— it’s loaded with people who appreciate looking at other people’s characters and showing off their own.

This. You’ll get way more props for a well designed character than a single, pricey weapon skin.

If you really want a distinctive weapon skin you’d have to get one of the ‘first gen’ BLTC sets. Aetherblade, Zodiac and Fused weapons are very rarely seen.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

It’s like a five year old putting a cereal bowl on his head and getting mad ‘cause mommy isn’t paying attention to him.

Delusions of grandeur is what it’s called.

does a Google search

Wow. I’m surprised I actually knew what it was.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: Neox.3497

Neox.3497

I got a “nice look” comment once on my ~lvl 70 thief that had none-transmutated equipment and just dyes I choose

Also most of the time I see a Sunrise I think “meh”. Guess you had a lot of luck, have rich and nice friends or just farmed a lot.

Posted by: Nalora.7964

Nalora.7964

All of my characters are, to me, appropriate for who they are. Yet I get comments daily on their gear, and their look. Not one has a legendary. I do not sparkle and shimmer or drop pixels behind me as I run. I choose the colors and the skins for what seems to be appropriate for that character, combined with an admiration for good 3D art that is not dependent on effects to be beautiful.

DEMAND Bunny Slippers and a bathrobe!

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

I choose the colors and the skins for what seems to be appropriate for that character, combined with an admiration for good 3D art that is not dependent on effects to be beautiful.

^——- This…. Then I read your sig xD

That would truely be beautiful ~~

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I choose the colors and the skins for what seems to be appropriate for that character, combined with an admiration for good 3D art that is not dependent on effects to be beautiful.

^——- This…. Then I read your sig xD

That would truely be beautiful ~~

No way. Why is it always bunnies?

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I crafted Foefire’s Essence about 2 months into the game and the amount of msgs I got about it, asking what it was blew me away. I thought it was the best skin out for my guardian (and it still is) and just loved it, so I made it. Goes nicely with Deep Glacial Sky Dye too. Showing off was never a consideration. My main is a Ranger and he uses Belinda’s GS because it is not showy.

Posted by: Kury.8210

Kury.8210

There are many times I notice good looks, but unless I’m with friends, why would I bother talking about it? Unless I’m a new player trying to learn about cool things the game has to offer, I’m not going to start fanboying over everything with a sparkle.

Best to get things to look awesome, not to get people to tell you you look awesome.

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

I once transmuted my light ascended armor into low lvl cabalist one because i liked it, i run dungeons and fractals that day, and every time someone asked me what armor am i wearing. It’s not about expensive items anymore it’s about frequency of item usage.

Posted by: Vanchatron.2306

Vanchatron.2306

Lol, even if you had Sunrise or Twilight, nobody would comment anyway. They’re a dime a dozen now. Not anything special whatsoever. They’re common as muck.

On the other hand, Foefire’s Essence is a very nice sword and I often notice people who have them. There’s not as many of them around as Sunrise/Twilight anyway from what I’ve seen.

(edited by Vanchatron.2306)