Kiting

Kiting

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: jman.7415

jman.7415

I don’t mind Kiting when you are say doing a dungeon or special instance but as a normal part of the game mechanics? I play for relaxation and to check out. Now I don’t always have to kite but I sure have to do it way more often then I like and espcially the story lines. My level 15 asura mesmer on opening the portal and killing the elites I think I had to kite for 5 minutes to finally kill it. Elite monsters on a personal story come on.

I also need to kite unless you are extremely careful and god forbid get an add or two.

Love GW2 still and let the “you suck” begin.

Do want to stress that I am not saying I can’t finish them just that I don’t think it is worth it if I have to kite and use every mechanic possible just to stay alive. No relaxation kill crap just for the fun for me.

Kiting

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

here’s a solution: run around in zones that are for lower levels than you. Is easier.

Kiting

Posted by: ElementBlu.8372

ElementBlu.8372

I’ve heard mesmers are actually pretty hard to play at low levels, and the personal quests seem to be built around much stronger classes half the time. I still have a heck of a time with personal quests with my elementalist, even if the quest is lower level than I am. My warrior breezes through everything, though.

If you want a more relaxing “just kill things” type of style, perhaps you should try something other than mesmer or elementalist, since those two seem to be the most strategy-centric classes.

Kiting

Posted by: FluffyDoe.7539

FluffyDoe.7539

the mechanics doesn’t have to be difficult, just fun; and I think kiting is not difficult but takes a lot of screen-watching effort. Personally, I think it’s fun for awhile, but you can’t really kiting mobs for 1 hours… even like the OP said 15 mins kiting feels like forever (those high hp pools).

But on the other hand, I think if the mobs projectile speed and attack range were better adjusted, it might just make kiting a lot more relaxing… (especially under the low hp situations where I’m not sure if this mob is going to hit at this distance for sure or not).

(edited by FluffyDoe.7539)

Kiting

Posted by: MLieBennett.9031

MLieBennett.9031

Mesmer and Personal Story are dire enemies to one another. DIRE enemies, especially in early levels. We lack fast Clone generation for them to act as distractions, on top of the fact that Personal Story enemies seem to easily sniff us out anyways. Combined with a lack of truly effective AoE that can be pulled off, as I.Zerker and I.Warden both tend to die too fast. Its rough early going as a Mesmer, especially in Personal Story.

That said, if you don’t want to always kite? Sword&X + Staff. MH-Sword’s Blurred Frenzy with Blade training is 2 seconds of invulnerability every 8 seconds, while dealing out damage. Staff’s Chaos Storm procs Aegis very, very often so its worthwhile to drop that on yourself when the enemy gets into melee, followed by Chaos Armor then swapping back to the Sword&X. I.Defender with Signet of Illusions is a rather notable help in surviving enemies that won’t 1-shot you.

That said, usually a non-moving Mesmer is usually a dead or soon-to-be-dead Mesmer. Especially in early levels.

Anyways, definitely take a look at the Chaos and Inspiration lines if you do not wish to kite so much. Further, think twice about using the G.Sword which I tend to think of as being the Kiting weapon of choice for Mesmers.

YOU NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN’T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?
- (Death, Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)

Kiting

Posted by: Logun.2349

Logun.2349

@jman.7415,
I completely sympathise with you on the relaxing thing. Tosha’s probably has given the best advice so far to just drop down to a zone lower than your level for some relaxing grind.

Alternatively look for event hot spots, there’s a few throughout the game that have lots of players around, and then just follow them from event to event. That way you can have a relaxing grind and grind out some Karma as well.

For me however the Active combat is the most addicting thing about the game. I play with a combination G13 Logitech game pad and a MMO Rat7 mouse and could not imagine playing the game without them. I’m always on the move and often challenge myself by taking on 4 or 5 level 80’s at the same time and make it my goal to end the fight with full health.

I however have the most relaxing fun when just tagging along a few other players.

Kiting

Posted by: sixfeetunder.6508

sixfeetunder.6508

mesmers are realy bad at low lvls. Also you should pick up a lvl 14-15 green set armor off the TP to better your dps. I did that last night and cost roughly 4 silvers give or take.

Besides you are a ranged caster…ofc you will need to kite eventualy. Also it could be due to the weapon you are using too.

Im leveling my elem atm and he is lvl 15 too. Going dual daggers for the melee range casting and i like it..It’s fast and alot of aoe damage.

Personaly id take your mesmer into the mist and play around with the different types of weapons you can use and check out skill and traits too.

Kiting

Posted by: helladoom.4317

helladoom.4317

Kiting and dodging seem to be the primary tactics to avoid damage and cc (knockdown etc).
My problem with it is that those are only two of many possible avoidance tactics, but other tactics/skills are close to useless because they have very limited effect – ie block one attack every 30 seconds, or block on average 1 out of 10 attacks (not very impressive for a warrior with shield), on a rather long cool down.

And the primary mechanism of synergy between players/classes seems to be in reviving downed players rather than actual support.

Kiting

Posted by: Alloy.2839

Alloy.2839

OP, obviously the classes all have different strengths and weaknesses. Thus their play style differs in PvE, PvP, and WvW. If they all played the same, why even have classes? I have a lvl 80 engineer, lvl 36 ele, and lvl 37 warrior. The engineer, using turrets and rifle, has to run and gun using only the rifle, or deploy turrets and hold ground (great for some of the DEs). In the personal story there is one event where he was in a circular room and was being mobbed by several golems.. He ran in circles and dropped turrets many times as their cooldowns were up. It was cheap but fun, and I finished the event. The warrior pulls things in with a rifle and kills the survivors with a greatsword if they mob him. The ele seems particular about armor and trinket boosts. Not enough vitality and toughness, and you have a glass canon. I rolled the warrior last, and he is the most relaxing class I have tried. You might try one too. They are all Asura and I know Metrica Province by heart.

Kiting

Posted by: Fende.1950

Fende.1950

Play a different class if you don’t want to kite. On my Mesmer i spent literally 100% of the time kiting, 1-80. Not-kiting is literally not in their playstyle.

Kiting

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I feel for ya. At least thief has good resources with dealing with too many adds: shortbow autoattack ricochets off the mobs, clusterbomb is another AoE and adds bleed, caltrops for applying bleed and cripple (haven’t had in binded in awhile though its utility is awesome), and the cripple + DoT + ricochet, in addition to dagger storm for those “oh crap!” moments makes it great. Also, speccing into acrobatics gives extra energy regen and adds some survivability. Maybe your problem isn’t with kiting per se but are having a class or gear problem instead?

Kiting

Posted by: Acme Tux Serum Six.8520

Acme Tux Serum Six.8520

Mesmers suck at low levels. Get to 25+ and just clone tank everything.

Kiting

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Phantasmal defender will make all your worries go away.

Seriously, though, you might consider a non-kiting class. I hate to say it but that’s a core mechanic of a clothie- you won’t be able to avoid it and you certainly won’t be able to convince Arenanet to make such a drastic change to one of their classes. You would do far better to play a warrior, guardian or ranger where kiting is a non-issue. Those classes can actually be very relaxing. Especially ranger.

Kiting

Posted by: kitanas.3596

kitanas.3596

if your not to attached to your mesmer, re-roll warrior+greatsword. 100b=win