Kittens!

Kittens!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

This kitten is kitten a kitten good kitten opportunity kitten to kitten keep kitten a kitten mod kitten busy kitten for kitten a kitten minute kitten.

Read this without kitten.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Kittens!

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I’ve actually gotten infracted before for typing “kitten,” but it’s usually cleared up.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Kittens!

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

The profanity filter should use the word “monkey” instead of “kitten”.

But that would never happened because the forum software is so monkeyed up. Even the god monkeyed search feature doesn’t work. ArenaNet has said they’re aware the monkeying forums are broken and have no plans to fix the monkeyed thing.

Don’t mind me. I’m just monkeying around on the forums.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Kittens!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

New gem store item: Your own forum filter word from a carefully selected list. For only 600 gems you can choose the word that will semi randomly insert itself into your post and turn the point that you were trying to make into laughable nonsense.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Kittens!

Posted by: Maya.8715

Maya.8715

May you all go to chocolate chocolate chocolate! Chocolate this world! Chocolate you all in your little chocolate chocolate chocolate chocolate!

Yep, chocolate would be nice as a replacement word. I use the word already for many random things.

I almost feel like testing the filter of words….but I don’t like saying bad words…so I’ll say kitten instead ^^

Win 7 Ultimate//ASUS P5Q Pro//
PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 MYST Edition//Intel Core 2 Duo E8500//8 Gigs or DDR2 RAM//240 GB SSD

Kittens!

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I’ve actually gotten infracted before for typing “kitten,” but it’s usually cleared up.

This has happened to me, too! But then, I am easily the most infracted poster on this forum.

Kittens!

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I’ve written ‘kitten’ before. I’ve also been puzzled when it kitten’s things like the word ‘etc.’ followed by the word ‘until’ (etkittenil). always stop and figure out why.

(edited by Mystic.5934)

Kittens!

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

i’m almost always self-covering my s-words on purpose writing “kitten” :-D

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

Kittens!

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

I’ve written ‘kitten’ before. I’ve also been puzzled when it kitten’s things like the word ‘etc.’ followed by the word ‘until’ (etkittenil). always stop and figure out why.

yeah, the filter is WAY overzealous.

for example, it censors “a colloquial name for cleavage that is also shared with a bird”

fair enough.

it also censors any word ending in t if the next word is “it’s”.

in other words, we can’t use the contractions of the terms “could it not?” “should it not?” “would it not?” “can it not?” or “must it not?”, instead coming out as “couldn’kitten” “shouldn’kitten”, “wouldn’kitten”, “can’kitten” and “mustn’kitten”

Kittens!

Posted by: NapTooN.6283

NapTooN.6283

The funniest offender for me is the half of 90s Cooldown. A-Net and their funny 1337-sp34k Profanity Filter.

By the way, why do we still have Profane Armor in the game? Should it not be renamend to Kitten Armor?

Kittens!

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

for example, it censors “a colloquial name for cleavage that is also shared with a bird”

fair enough.

in other words, we can’t use the contractions of the terms “could it not?” “should it not?” “would it not?” “can it not?” or “must it not?”, instead coming out as “couldn’kitten” “shouldn’kitten”, “wouldn’kitten”, “can’kitten” and “mustn’kitten”

The inconsistency of the filter across different sub-forums is very odd.

In this recent post in the HoT sub-forum, “wouldn’t it” is used, but it is not filtered, whereas your writing of it here in this sub-forum is.

Also wouldn’t it be logical for an elder dragon to create instead of corrupt? Elder dragons are not dumb, so learning from the mistakes of zhaitan is not illogical. One of the things the pact did was negating the ability to corrupt (with the krait orb and destroying the ship full of corpses).

Very odd. Even my writing of it up there is no longer being censored. Perhaps this thread finally brought enough attention to this problem that they have finally added an exception for this!

If they are in a row like this, they are not censored:
Wouldn’t it Couldn’t it Shouldn’t it Can’t it Mustn’t it

But set apart they are:
Wouldn’kitten
Couldn’kitten
Shouldn’kitten
Can’kitten
Mustn’t it

Most of them are, anyway.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Kittens!

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

fair enough.

The inconsistency of the filter across different sub-forums is very odd.

In this recent post in the HoT sub-forum, “wouldn’t it” is used, but it is not filtered, whereas your writing of it here in this sub-forum is.

Also wouldn’t it be logical for an elder dragon to create instead of corrupt? Elder dragons are not dumb, so learning from the mistakes of zhaitan is not illogical. One of the things the pact did was negating the ability to corrupt (with the krait orb and destroying the ship full of corpses).

Very odd. Even my writing of it up there is no longer being censored. Perhaps this thread finally brought enough attention to this problem that they have finally added an exception for this!

If they are in a row like this, they are not censored:
Wouldn’t it Couldn’t it Shouldn’t it Can’t it Mustn’t it

But set apart they are:
Wouldn’kitten
Couldn’kitten
Shouldn’kitten
Can’kitten
Mustn’t it

Most of them are, anyway.

wierd :/

and just to mention, I did not manually type the word “kitten” in my examples, they were filtered by the forum

Kittens!

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

I don’t believe in censorship.

Kittens!

Posted by: Bubi.5237

Bubi.5237

I’m tickled that, over time, many members of our community have adopted “kitten” as a cover-all word, instead of posting The Words That Should Never Be Written™.

The funny thing is when you say it in public: “I’m pretty kittened off about that!” and your friends give you the strangest looks.

I vote for a change!
Change “kitten” to “quaggan”! Everyone knows that quaggans are The Devil, capable of only evil acts!
And imagine saying “quaggan off!” instead of “kitten off!”, so much better!

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Kittens!

Posted by: Zaron.1987

Zaron.1987

I’m tickled that, over time, many members of our community have adopted “kitten” as a cover-all word, instead of posting The Words That Should Never Be Written™.

The funny thing is when you say it in public: “I’m pretty kittened off about that!” and your friends give you the strangest looks.

I vote for a change!
Change “kitten” to “quaggan”! Everyone knows that quaggans are The Devil, capable of only evil acts!
And imagine saying “quaggan off!” instead of “kitten off!”, so much better!

no pls not more quaggan

or you are ruby?

Kittens!

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

I believe in kittens!

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Kittens!

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

I see people say this quite a lot, both on the Internet and in discussions with friends. I’m not sure if it’s amazing, or unsurprising, how many people don’t believe in censorship, unless someone is saying something they don’t like about them, to them or in the vicinity of them. All of a sudden they believe very much in both censorship and hypocrisy! I’m not saying that applies to you, it’s just a general musing.

Further on topic – I write Kitten. I used it once IRL and really did get a strange look for it.

Kittens!

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

Oh for the love of KITTEN..would you KITTENs grow the KITTEN up and use the KITTEN chat filter? For KITTEN sake!

Kittens!

Zaron.1987

Attachments:

Kittens!

Posted by: paintpixie.7398

paintpixie.7398

I’ve never understood the point in censoring a forum for adults.

Because some “adults” don’t always have the ability to censor their own speech and behave like one online. I have moderated an online forum before. It is nearly the same as working in a daycare.

Try having an actual conversation in YouTube’s comments section, for example.

(edited by paintpixie.7398)

Kittens!

Posted by: Bazompora.2635

Bazompora.2635

So much profanity with the k-word in it … see the column on the right.

Elonians who know her history are often proud to have one of their own in the pantheon.

Kittens!

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I type kitten sometimes knowing it will end up that way anyway, it also allows me to get around certain things I know will happen, because it doesn’t replace the word with “kitten” it replaces it with "kitten " that space can make things weird.

What bothers me about the filter is when it takes two words that consecutive and pulls out a word that is in them and sticks kitten in the middle of it.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Kittens!

Posted by: Nightshade.2570

Nightshade.2570

LOL I type out Kitten often instead of bad words. I feel like it gives more emphasis on just how angry I am. In fact I think its makes me sound angrier

Kittens!

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

All this kitten talk reminds me of that Smurf movie. So which is better, kitten or smurf? :P

And oh why didn’t they use “glarrg” instead.

“Great Glarrg!” (Taimi) “Taimi, manners please” (your PS buddies). Still one of my fave moments in any of the PS or LS thus far.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Kittens!

Zaron.1987

btw dont blame the lovely word kitten. at german forum the word is “liebsche”

so kitten is really fine

Kittens!

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

I used to hang out in a bar that had a swear jar, the bartender (which was hot) got us to put a buck in the jar every time we swore. I’m guessing she took home six figures.
Just start charging everyone 1g for swearing in map chat and watch how fast it cleans up.
On the other hand, i might just pay 200g in advance and let it rip..

Kittens!

Posted by: Starlightpaw.5871

Starlightpaw.5871

I got banned for a week a while ago in-game for saying something that someone thought was offensive. I can’t even remember what it was.

Kittens!

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

so kitten is really fine

So that’s the reason for the strange reaction when I used kitten on the german forum. It’s already difficult enough to remember what forum I’m posting on and using the correct language. Now I also have to adjust my swearing? I call bullliebsche!

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Kittens!

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

so kitten is really fine

So that’s the reason for the strange reaction when I used kitten on the german forum. It’s already difficult enough to remember what forum I’m posting on and using the correct language. Now I also have to adjust my swearing? I call bullliebsche!

They make you say sweetheart in German on those forums?
Either that or Google lies to me. XD

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Kittens!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

so kitten is really fine

They make you say sweetheart in German on those forums?
Either that or Google lies to me. XD

ReginaBuenaobra Source
ArenaNet Poster

Kittens are cute. Even the most hardened internet denizen has a soft spot for kittens. :-p

The filter words in the German, French, and Spanish official forums are different.

In German, the word is “Liebsche” (a term of endearment roughly equivalent to ‘honey’)
In French, it is “papillon” (butterfly)
In Spanish, it is “minino” (the more harmless form of the word ‘kitten’ in Spanish)
The goal for these filter words is to diffuse the abrasiveness and take the bite out of posts containing profanity.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Kittens!

Posted by: ShelBlackblood.7826

ShelBlackblood.7826

btw dont blame the lovely word kitten. at german forum the word is “liebsche” :D

so kitten is really fine :)

Yes, I would prefer “kitten” or at least “Kätzchen” in our german forum as well. I live in Germany and I didn’t even know the word “Liebsche” even exists until I saw it here in the german GW2 forum. It always sounded like german gibberish to me, noone I know uses this word. I bet if I ever said Liebsche to my friends/family they would respond with “Huh? What is that?”

At least here in Bavaria, if you want to say “I don’t give a kitten!” without swearing, we say “Das ist mir wurscht!” (wurscht=kitten but at the same time, wurscht=sausage). Cheese/Käse is also a word some of my friends use to censor bad words infront of kids ;p (“What a cheese!”) I really don’t know why we hate food around here xD

btw. you might already guessed it, I wrote “kitten” in this post myself :)

Kittens!

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

But what about "kitten " or “bloody”? I guess I’ll find out whether they get censored when I hit “post”. But my actual question is… (Yes, there was a point to this! ) How many of you actually type “kitten”?

I usually type out joking variations of it: kitty-cat, puppy, or some species of cat.

Various terms seem to have different meanings in different cultures. For example, in the US “bloody” is considered a minor expression of annoyance. My friends from the UK tend to have the vapors when I use that term … my understanding is it is a BIT stronger over there.

Automatic censors are strange, as has been noted on here several times. In second life they implemented it inworld and got a LOT of complaints. Suddenly a person who made models of small birds found himself censored because one species is named t …. kitty.

An even more bizarre happening is automatic routines that substitute words. One of those right-wing “religious” orgs (focus on the family maybe?) decided to implement a filter on their website to change “gay” to “homosexual”. Then they ran a story that involved a person whose last name was Gay.

Kittens!

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I use it in a thread about GW2 on another forum that has a guild here. I never get called on it because everyone knows where it came from but I know I would get odd looks from anyone just browsing around who did not know what I was doing.

For example, http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/gaming/72150-guild-wars-2-official-thread-73.html#post2172988

Kittens!

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Kitten is a four-letter word.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Kittens!

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

How many infractions do we get before we find ourselves permanent posters over at Curse GW2GURU? Not that I am wanting to be. I’m not TRYING to get infractions. I didn’t do it on purpose. I can’t help it if I find some things funny.

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Kittens!

Posted by: Raedwulf.3712

Raedwulf.3712

Various terms seem to have different meanings in different cultures. For example, in the US “bloody” is considered a minor expression of annoyance. My friends from the UK tend to have the vapors when I use that term … my understanding is it is a BIT stronger over there.

Some of it is just ignorance of language, I think (I’m something of a philologist – I love words, and often refer to dikkers to find out more). The s-word would be censored here, but all the A-S means is “diarrhoea”. A bad case of the ****s is quite literally that! You’ve only got to look at things like cow & beef. Cow is the A/S for the animal, beef the Norman-French for the meat. Guess who mostly got what?

Not sure about your UK friends, Menadena. Bloody is very mild, as far as I’m concerned. There’s no more heat in it than dam + N, but the latter got kittened here & the former didn’t, so work that one out! You’re certainly right, in some degree, about cultural sensitivities, as per the above.

As for “bloody”, it is widely held that the reason that this has been long been considered a mild profanity is because it is a contraction of “By Our Lady”. Five to six hundred years ago, in a Europe that was ostensibly devoutly Christian, you can easily imagine how that would have been frowned upon!

Guild Leader, The White Company, Piken Square

Kittens!

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

so kitten is really fine

that brings up a good question… on the non-english forums, I assume they don’t use ‘kitten’, but instead a translation of it?

hmmm, I wonder if a censured word surrounded by some combination of otherwise-benign letters would create a new string of characters that would also be censured. It would either end the internet as we know it or just reduce an entire sentance to one single ‘kitten’. I’m horrible for testing… hehe, it came up with “kittenittenittenittenittenittenittenittenittenittenittenittenittenittenittenittenittenittenittenittenitten”

(edited by Mystic.5934)

Kittens!

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

I use kittens a lot, but the only issue is when people can’t tell the difference between you writing “kitten” and you writing something else that has been filtered as kitten. Sometimes I use “small cats” instead of “kitten” to make this point clear, but well, it’s simply not the same thing, right?

A pet peeve of mine is how the forum takes “isn’t [pretend this doesn't exist] it?” and converts it into “isn’kitten”.

I recently replied back to someone whose post to me was full of the filtered “kitten”. They were saying something like I was arguing like kittens or without a lot of kittens. I can’t remember their exact phrasing. I responded back by manually typing kitten numerous times in a lengthy post and each mention of kitten linked to a photo of a kitten.

No, pet. All those kittens were 100% original, manually typed kittens.

Kittens!

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

Belzebu – yes, I ran into that in the original Beta & got infracted for it. Anet got a very irate email back. Some utter… kitten on their staff tried to tell me that “snicker” was the word I meant. I forcibly replied that he was bloody ignorant.

Oh, by the way, dam, I assume, passes but don’t put an n on the end of it. That’s what got kittened in my OP. How over sensitive is that?

Anyway, as a result of that infraction, I’ve rarely visited the forum since, let alone posted. Heavy-handed moderation is one thing. Heavy-handed & ignorant moderation I can certainly live without. For those of you still puzzled, the English version of snicker starts with s but the rest of the word is the n-word. It contains the n-word, but has nothing to do with it, from the etymology point of view. I got infracted because, in disbelief, I s p a c e d the word in a reposted version. So the Mod got very short shrift for telling me it wasn’t a real word. Naturally, I never heard anything back….

I can confirm that the UK English version of snicker is what you say.

That moderator should have used Google, before taking any action, quite frankly.

I’m all for moderation, but it needs to be informed.

“Bloody” is considered OK, because it isn’t a swearword in the US.

So, easily offended Brits (and/or concerned British parents) just have to be left offended/concerned, apparently.

To be fair, it’s not really considered a bad swearword in the UK, either, but still.

It’s at least as bad as “dam” (with an n).

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Kittens!

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

One of the guys in my motorcycle riding club is a Brittish expat. I’ve never seen anyone throw the big C word around so casually. That’s one that you only pull out in America if you are hunting for bears with tactical nukes, but apparently it’s not considered NEARLY as offensive over there.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Kittens!

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

As for “bloody”, it is widely held that the reason that this has been long been considered a mild profanity is because it is a contraction of “By Our Lady”. Five to six hundred years ago, in a Europe that was ostensibly devoutly Christian, you can easily imagine how that would have been frowned upon!

Now, that’s interesting. I somehow got it in my head long ago that it was due to the royal bloodline’s (supposed?) tendency to hemophilia. Which apparently is a complete information botch for my early education … what you say makes so much more sense, too.

I’m not sure a filter can go too far outside the norms of the language of those who design it, though. They’re working from a baseline of what’s acceptable in their polite society; it’s much more difficult to account for all the language and dialect variations that their game and forums will encounter throughout the world. Plus context determines crudity, right? “I gashed my shin and now my sock is all bloody” should be innocuous even in the UK, I’d hope. In the US, perhaps a biblically inclined sort might declaim to a congregation, “He who does this heinous act, surely shall be dam – ed (with an n for the -) if he does not repent forthwith.” That’s not cussing, that’s outlining punitive consequences using the actual meaning of the term.

But the filters can pretty much just look for chains of letters and give an ok/feline result for each.

Kittens!

Posted by: Raedwulf.3712

Raedwulf.3712

One of the guys in my motorcycle riding club is a Brittish expat. I’ve never seen anyone throw the big C word around so casually. That’s one that you only pull out in America if you are hunting for bears with tactical nukes, but apparently it’s not considered NEARLY as offensive over there.

The two REALLY bad profane words in the English language (of whichever variety) are the C & the F. There are other words which many would consider viler, such as the N word, but they’re labels, rather than being inherently profane. It’s the baggage that is associated with them (often racial), rather than the word itself. If you see what I mean.

So sticking with the “merely” profane… Bloody is so mild as to not be profane in the UK these days. Whoever said it’s on the same level as dam + n is absolutely correct. But the C & the F… they’re still not acceptable in “polite” society. Since, from my distant perspective, I can well imagine that the US is still somewhat more Puritan than we are, I can only smile at the “bear with nukes” remark & believe it.

However… Many years ago (more than I care to remember, frankly) I worked for British Rail. I never heard the sentence (here’s a test for the forum filter!) “The effing effer’s effing effed”. But I did hear the F-word used as noun, adjective, verb, adverb, imperative, exclamation… You name it!

And we are all, ultimately, products of our environment. If everyone around routinely cusses, it’s difficult not to fall into the same pattern. I’m Eas’ Lunnon born & bred. It wasn’t exactly high-falutin’ society. And then I worked on the railway for 10 months. I’ve never cured myself of the habit of using the F, although I largely avoid it around other people (depending on the people!).

So I can understand that biker who doesn’t think about his too-free use of the C. Maybe someone should have a quiet word, “We know you don’t want to upset anyone, but did you ever think about…” He’ll probably be quite embarrassed once he realises…

But the C is quite interesting in itself. Did you ever think about where “king” came from? Or “cunning”? They are both, more or less, the same word, and share the same “cun” root. In fact, I can happily say that “cunning is my middle name” & it’s true. It’s actually my forum handle here. But you’ll have to think about that one…

Guild Leader, The White Company, Piken Square

Kittens!

Posted by: leftyboy.9358

leftyboy.9358

Speaking without profanity is preferable to me than saying kitten. Kinda defeats the point. I lol when someone posts something with kitten every other word. No need to have it a report word. Just makes the person look silly which is it’s own punishment.

Kittens!

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Kitten this filter! I’m going to make my own forum, with kitten, and kitten.

In fact, forget the forum!

Bah, kitten the whole thing.

Kittens!

Posted by: Griever.7480

Griever.7480

The real interesting/hypocritical thing is that the npcs within the game swear and use questionable language, i mean if you’re gonna be all politically correct then go all the way not this half passed thing.

Kittens!

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Speaking of kittens, here’s our two cats (well, they used to be tiny when we got them!).

Chili and Pepper, pepper being the black one ofc. Apologies for the terrible quality, mobile pics. Also, this thread is now about cat pictures!

Attachments:

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Kittens!

Posted by: Greyhound.2058

Greyhound.2058

It’s odd for us Brits, to us they’re just normal English language words and not shocking in the slightest. In fact some words that Americans think are swear words are simply not at all – e.g. ‘dam’ (minus the ‘n’ to avoid a kittenstrike lol) means ‘curse’ or ‘cursed’ – not even a schoolteacher would consider those swearwords in the UK, especially not an English teacher! Even some of the ‘worse’ swear words are actually very ancient English language words that have many and often surprisingly subtle meanings; I think we have quite a love for those words, there’s often an odd dignity to them and certainly great history and meaning. Sometimes it’s hard to explain to people from ‘younger’ cultures the significance and breadth of meaning of a word that’s maybe two thousand years old! So in a way I think the British are at best bemused by profanity filters, perhaps even by the very concept of profanity, which is seen very differently over here.

There are some British towns that have those words incorporated into their name, people from those places have an epic challenge in forums generally LOL

But as to typing kitten – yes, I do it all the time! a) Because I’m used to US-oriented culture and I understand that they might find offensive words that I might think are quite normal, and b) because I spend WAY too much time in these forums

(edited by Greyhound.2058)