Knockdown spam (in PvE)

Knockdown spam (in PvE)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Clem.2963

Clem.2963

Can we get a limit on how often we can be knocked down (in a certain period of time) in PvE.

Quite frustrating to have 5+ mobs all use knockdown on me and then proceed to have their way with my body while I’m unable to do anything.

Knockdown spam (in PvE)

Posted by: Bluezero.9723

Bluezero.9723

Agreed it’s pretty frustrating, and I can even nullify one of them.

80 Norn Warrior
Using Yojack’s build: Sword/Warhorn | Rifle
Gate of Madness Black Fade [BF]

Knockdown spam (in PvE)

Posted by: DethLocke.6170

DethLocke.6170

I find this only happens to me in Straits, and its exactly why after map completion, I have never gone back, and never will unless some changes are made. I DEFINITELY dont want a map like this to be easy by any means, but as the OP mentioned, when you are pulled so much that you arent even given an input to respond, thats not really what I would call “fun difficulty” either.

As an ele, I have several condition removal abilities on my bar, but I have had more than one occasion where there was so many pulls, I blew through them and they were still pulling. Nothing you can do about that, except just never go there. If that was Anets intention, then bulls-eye.

Knockdown spam (in PvE)

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Dodge, stability, stunbreak.
They are there for this reason, use them.

Knockdown spam (in PvE)

Posted by: Karentan.9541

Karentan.9541

Did you try to go pass a group of mobs without fighting? If it is the case then it is all your fault. You aggroed 5 mobs of the same type (the same skills).

I did it once with the Earth Elemental (cripple spam) and since than I never go through a group without a fight.

Knockdown spam (in PvE)

Posted by: theerrantventure.9185

theerrantventure.9185

There is a food or two that the buff is a reduction to knockdown time and damage taken while knocked down. I’d see if that helps!

I try to take care pulling large groups of mobs (Ettins, I’m looking at you) with knock-back.

Trolls are like stray cats.
Feed them and they multiply.
Please do not feed them.

Knockdown spam (in PvE)

Posted by: Josher.9612

Josher.9612

Did you try to go pass a group of mobs without fighting? If it is the case then it is all your fault. You aggroed 5 mobs of the same type (the same skills).

I did it once with the Earth Elemental (cripple spam) and since than I never go through a group without a fight.

So its good game play to be forced sometimes to fight every mob in order to just get from one place to the next when there is ZERO incentive to fight. No exp, minimal to laughable rewards. Are we playing a Japanese RPG from the early 90s where you have to get in a fight every 10 ft? C’mon, are you on the dole for defending terrible game mechanics like this?

ANET should have designed the zones properly in the first place or wonder why people would rather run past mobs instead of fighting them. Of course this is something that should’ve been figured out in EARLY beta, but who’s counting=)

Knockdown spam (in PvE)

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

I’ve run into this issue and it wasn’t about running past something. Veteran Translucent Ooze in Gendarran Fields, near the skill point. Pulled me in, knocking me down. Knocked me back, knocking me down. Pulled me in again, knocking me down. And in the process threw me around enough to aggro another Veteran Translucent Ooze. Guess what happened? (p.s. all of the oozes in that cave, veteran or not, can knock you down. So can all of the trolls, and the cave is heavily populated with both)

It was really irritating, simply because I was completely locked out of my character for most of the fight.

Knockdown spam (in PvE)

Posted by: Clem.2963

Clem.2963

Dodge, stability, stunbreak.
They are there for this reason, use them.

I can only use those things so many times…

Knockdown spam (in PvE)

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I second this! I think we need a PvE version of resolve where players have a resolve bar to avoid this kind of stunlocking. Our dodges are limited and oftentimes need to stall to get it back up. Certain mobs have cripple, and this makes such kite healing skill/energy stalling far more difficult, because if your movement speed is reduced it makes it far easier for them to get hits in, and you better hope that DoTs don’t kill your rally monkey.

Knockdown spam (in PvE)

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

So its good game play to be forced sometimes to fight every mob in order to just get from one place to the next when there is ZERO incentive to fight. No exp, minimal to laughable rewards. Are we playing a Japanese RPG from the early 90s where you have to get in a fight every 10 ft? C’mon, are you on the dole for defending terrible game mechanics like this?

ANET should have designed the zones properly in the first place or wonder why people would rather run past mobs instead of fighting them. Of course this is something that should’ve been figured out in EARLY beta, but who’s counting=)

Those are RPGs, they’re actually quite fun whereas MMOs like WoW and GW2 are more comparable to action games like Link but with more complex mechanics. The only MMO I played that even put RPG in MMORPG is Wonderland Online, but that game is heavily pay to win with a vengeance.

Knockdown spam (in PvE)

Posted by: wumpusrat.4769

wumpusrat.4769

It would be nice if there was some sort of diminishing returns, or even immunity to CC abilities after you recover from them for a time. I’ve run into several situations where mobs with knockback will punt you into the aggro range of another nearby mob with the same abilities, and it just snowballs. Or when you’re trying to get to certain areas (such as vistas or skill points) and there are multiple mobs clustered in a tight area who can all knock/stun.

I had a fight last night that was like that, on my warrior. Knocked back into more aggro, got up, dodged forward to get back into range to fight, knocked down, got up, knocked back again by the other mob, got up, snared, stagger forward, knocked back… I think I was incapacitated for 10+ seconds because they’d time their stun/knocks to hit right after the other one wore off.

Knockdown spam (in PvE)

Posted by: Cernow.3974

Cernow.3974

The problem with knockdowns / knockbacks is that too many mobs have it (often inappropriately), it’s often poorly implemented (no telegraphing) and there’s no diminishing returns to prevent it being chained on you if you are fighting several mobs with the same knockdown.

It’s all very well for people to say use stability and dodge etc. Stability is too short duration and I’ve fought mobs that wait for it to wear off, then knock you down. As for dodging, fine in principle but too many mobs have knockdowns which are instant and not telegraphed in any way. So they can’t be anticiptated and can’t be dodged. And there’s also mobs who do attempt to telegraph it but the knockdown occurs at the start of the animation, not the end, so again you don’t get a chance to dodge.

There’s also a fair amount of mobs which seem to have an undocumented knockdown (i.e. not mentioned on their nameplate) or where knockdown seems inappropriate for their mob type). When you get knocked down by a big ogre or a bandit with a huge hammer, then you think “fair enough”. But when you get knocked down instantly by something small with no visual clue as to why you just think “ahem, lame”.

In short, it’s an overused and misused mechanic that makes melee less fun than it could be and needs toning down.

Knockdown spam (in PvE)

Posted by: Lorana.2468

Lorana.2468

it’s fine, Stun Breakers & Stability exists for a reason and dodging makes you invincible.