Koutalophile Collection Reward

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

If this has been mentioned before then please merge this, as I couldn’t find a topic on this.

So I completed this tonight after getting the Fractal Spoon, now I don’t know who this achievement is aimed at to be fair, if it was for new players then they would have no chance until they where level 80, given that 2 of the Spoons are in high end zones per say, 1 being the Teq battle, ( good luck up levels ) and the other being Fractals, ( even better luck up levels )

Anyway the rewards where as follows

Greens
1 Mighty Soft Wood Focus of Hobbling
1 Mighty Soft Wood Longbow of Serpent Slaying
1 Mighty Magician mantle of the Lich
1 Mighty Swindler Gloves of the Afflicted

3 x Mentor’s Tome of Knowledge ( can only be used if you are under level 80 )

Exotic
1 x Initiates Ring ( level 20 – selectable stats )

So the question I have is, given that at least 1 zone you need to be level 80 or the very least level 70+(if you have an understanding guild to carry you ) why are the rewards for sub level 80 chars, this collection is 100% pointless for anyone who has max toons, is this a way to force or try to force players to go back and make new char’s and suffer that new level system?

Where as I didn’t do it for the reward, I did it to race a friend to it for fun, some will not be happy at this reward at all, and it will fall back onto the rewards in this game for time spent are lacking, maybe next time put something in that someone above level 80 can use.

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Yeah, I was complaining about this a while ago ingame to my group when I looted my third Fractal Spoon.

Fractals don’t necessarily require you to be level 80, but most groups won’t take underleveled players, especially if they’re new. The bag is aimed towards low level players who are starting their adventure, with a lot of the spoons being low level rewards.

Then they decided to add high level spoons, such as level 75 karma reward, teq spoon, and fractal spoon.

The reward and the requirements don’t line up. It looks like there wasn’t a lot of discussion about this or someone decided to troll it at the last moment.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

If this has been mentioned before then please merge this, as I couldn’t find a topic on this.

So I completed this tonight after getting the Fractal Spoon, now I don’t know who this achievement is aimed at to be fair, if it was for new players then they would have no chance until they where level 80, given that 2 of the Spoons are in high end zones per say, 1 being the Teq battle, ( good luck up levels ) and the other being Fractals, ( even better luck up levels )

Anyway the rewards where as follows

Greens
1 Mighty Soft Wood Longbow of Serpent Slaying
1 Mighty Magician mantle of the Lich
1 Mighty Swindler Gloves of the Afflicted

3 x Mentor’s Tome of Knowledge ( can only be used if you are under level 80 )

Exotic
1 x Initiates Ring ( level 20 – selectable stats )

So the question I have is, given that at least 1 zone you need to be level 80 or the very least level 70+(if you have an understanding guild to carry you ) why are the rewards for sub level 80 chars, this collection is 100% pointless for anyone who has max toons, is this a way to force or try to force players to go back and make new char’s and suffer that new level system?

Where as I didn’t do it for the reward, I did it to race a friend to it for fun, some will not be happy at this reward at all, and it will fall back onto the rewards in this game for time spent are lacking, maybe next time put something in that someone above level 80 can use.

You kinda answered your whole question.

This feature pack is really all about pushing low level rewards.. new items for low level use, but requiring that low level to stick with the game long enough to actually obtain the reward in the first place.. so of course they want you to go buy another slot to make the reward useable .. rinse repeat and the hook has been firmly struck into the lip and they are reeling you in.. level gating, skill gating, reward gating.. its all aimed at alts.. .. but I am thinking the backlash from players longer in the tooth with GW2 will either ignore it or walk away.. closely followed by these so say new players that wanted this delayed playstyle…
I am beginning to think within 12-18months GW2 will be gating progress and usage much in the same way other F2P MMO’s do .. like my favourite laugh a minute SWTOR cash shop.. congrats you have killed TEQ.. however as you are only lvl 65, please purchase an ingame TEQ token to be able to receive your reward for this event… or please purchase lvl 80 content pack to be able to enter ORR.. etc etc.

Something about this feature pack is not sitting well with me I will be honest.

Posted by: ClaraFee.2579

ClaraFee.2579

Can you right click and destroy a spoon without penalty? My Siege Commander’s Spoon (the only spoon I have) didn’t disappear from my inventory when I found it; I don’t want to make space for 21 spoons as I work on the collection.

Anyone know for sure?

[MGW] [DHA] [VII]
Join Darkhaven at http://www.darkhaven.us

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

^ Yes you can destroy it, but if it’s like the Fractal and Taco spoon, they merch for 10s.

| Lithia |

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

Can you right click and destroy a spoon without penalty? My Siege Commander’s Spoon (the only spoon I have) didn’t disappear from my inventory when I found it; I don’t want to make space for 21 spoons as I work on the collection.

Anyone know for sure?

Yes. Once it’s counted for the collection you can get rid of the item. Before you discard it look at the item to see how much a merchant will give you for it. Some go for 10 silver, possibly more. You can right click the collection item and select to view the collection achievement it belongs to and it will open the hero panel so you can see it was counted.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I don’t like this reward, but I understand it. It’s meant to be a MENTORS pack, as in you have a level 80, now you “mentor” a lower level alt, helping them along the way up. I agree that it’s a dumb reward, and they should offer something better, but I at least get the intent of it.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Victory or Death now rewards a very similar reward. Utterly useless in every way for a level 80.

They’re pushing for alts, while making alts all the more boring to start, faster to level, but more tedious to use skills while leveling.

So if you don’t like making alts…. best trash it!

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Again – they make no sense. Like most of the changes in feature pack 2.0.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

First, yes the rewards are laughable. No way I’m going to actually TRY to get these collections when I get rewards that not only I don’t want but I actually HAVE NO USE FOR.

For those saying its a “mentors” pack – where does it way that? I haven’t seen any label like that.

Finally, if they are aiming the rewards at low level characters, what happened to their vaunted metrics? How many people bring level 20 characters into a Teq event or Fractals? And if you farm this type of event with your 20, how long will that character remain level 20?

Anet can’t have it both ways: if you make it incredibly fast to get to 80 then what is the point at aiming an achievement completion reward at a low level character?

Its like Anet is a schizophrenic company – some devs aiming for one thing while others aim at a completely opposite thing.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

if you make it incredibly fast to get to 80 then what is the point at aiming an achievement completion reward at a low level character?

I seem to recall a forum conversation a while ago (I think around the time the pvp reward tracks were introduced) where somebody from ArenaNet stated that they were trying to include level and skill point reward scrolls/tomes/whatever into veteran rewards (pvp track rewards, birthday gifts etc.) explicitly aimed at veteran players to make it quicker/easier for them to level multiple alternate characters to 80. If you have done the “work” of leveling for the first time, you will get shortcuts to do it again on other characters.

From this angle, including mentoring rewards into endgame (be it collections or personal story completion) does make sense. It’s aimed at those players that would like to experience the game with different classes/races/whatever to make it progressively easier to get new characters to the point older characters (of the same account) already are.

Like most (if not all) rewards, this doesn’t appeal to everyone, but apparently at least to a large enough group of the playerbase that ANet finds it worthwhile to include it.

Posted by: LadyTrouble.6920

LadyTrouble.6920

With 6 level 80 toons, sometimes I like low level loot to salvage for mid level mats.

Djinn.9245

if you make it incredibly fast to get to 80 then what is the point at aiming an achievement completion reward at a low level character?

I seem to recall a forum conversation a while ago (I think around the time the pvp reward tracks were introduced) where somebody from ArenaNet stated that they were trying to include level and skill point reward scrolls/tomes/whatever into veteran rewards (pvp track rewards, birthday gifts etc.) explicitly aimed at veteran players to make it quicker/easier for them to level multiple alternate characters to 80. If you have done the “work” of leveling for the first time, you will get shortcuts to do it again on other characters.

From this angle, including mentoring rewards into endgame (be it collections or personal story completion) does make sense. It’s aimed at those players that would like to experience the game with different classes/races/whatever to make it progressively easier to get new characters to the point older characters (of the same account) already are.

Like most (if not all) rewards, this doesn’t appeal to everyone, but apparently at least to a large enough group of the playerbase that ANet finds it worthwhile to include it.

So I sort of answered the “mentor” question – I looked up the rewards on the wiki and the Koutalophile reward comes in a “bag of Mentor’s Supplies”. But that doesn’t change the question of why they felt they should essentially tell players how to play by only offering a reward for players who have or will create an alt. I know so many players who already have a level 80 character of every type they wanted to create. Or players who like to concentrate on only 1 character. So they have to create yet another one in order to be rewarded for completing a collection?

Nevermind that Anet seems to think we’re so unintelligent that we can’t simply purchase gear for our alts ourselves. If we got a decent level 80 reward, we could either use it for our level 80 character – thus freeing up cash to use on the alt, or sell the level 80 reward – thus gaining cash to use on the alt.

So they are both telling us how to play AND calling us unintelligent. Nice.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

(edited by Djinn.9245)

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

For those saying its a “mentors” pack – where does it way that? I haven’t seen any label like that.

If you go to Basic Collectors tab, and move your mouse over to the chest of the Koutalophile achievement, it’ll show what you’re given:

“Bag of Mentor’s Goods”
With the tooltip description of: “A collection of items to aid in the training of novice adventurers.”

The reward is not just for low level characters, it’s for alternative low level characters (given that some of the rewards require visits to level 70+ zones…).

So they have to create yet another one in order to be rewarded for completing a collection?

Because it’s downright impossible for you to create a character, use up the items, get the skill points and turn them in for Mystic Forge recipe stuff – which were made account bound this update – and then delete them.

Eyup.

Or maybe you don’t have to get this achievement. Maybe you don’t have to use the rewards – it rewards achievement points after all. And besides, with so many collection achievements, it’s not like ArenaNet is forcing you to do that achievement – let alone doing any of them!

Nevermind that Anet seems to think we’re so unintelligent that we can’t simply purchase gear for our alts ourselves.

I’m sorry, but how does “we’re giving you free stuff for an alt if you want to make one” equate to “you’re a kitten and cannot purchase gear for an alt, so since you’re so kittened we’re going to give you this gear. Congratulations, kitten.”

Because I’m not seeing the connection.

Let me put it this way: ArenaNet is putting in content that is not for everyone. ArenaNet has designed the game so that you don’t have to do everything.

If you want to do this achievement, fine, have at it. If not, fine, you can do something else – there’s plenty of things to chose from.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I just wish I could pay another 10 silver to undo the collection unlock, to clean up some of the useless clutter in my collection achievements.

Djinn.9245

If you go to Basic Collectors tab, and move your mouse over to the chest of the Koutalophile achievement, it’ll show what you’re given:

Yes, in my post which you quote below I mention that I found that.

So they have to create yet another one in order to be rewarded for completing a collection?

Because it’s downright impossible for you to create a character, use up the items, get the skill points and turn them in for Mystic Forge recipe stuff – which were made account bound this update – and then delete them.

Why should anyone be forced to do that in order to get any real reward from completing a collection?

Or maybe you don’t have to get this achievement. Maybe you don’t have to use the rewards – it rewards achievement points after all. And besides, with so many collection achievements, it’s not like ArenaNet is forcing you to do that achievement – let alone doing any of them!

Every player should be able to do all the content as well as receive a reward for it if they choose. Creating a reward that is VASTLY more useful to players who have or will create an alt is very biased and goes against the idea of being able to play as you like.

Nevermind that Anet seems to think we’re so unintelligent that we can’t simply purchase gear for our alts ourselves.

I’m sorry, but how does “we’re giving you free stuff for an alt if you want to make one” equate to “you’re a kitten and cannot purchase gear for an alt, so since you’re so kittened we’re going to give you this gear. Congratulations, kitten.”

First, I never used your language and I’m not certain why you felt it necessary. But it means that they think we’re unintelligent like this:

What if instead of paying you money your boss decided that he was going to purchase groceries for you? I would wonder why my boss decided that I wasn’t smart enough to spend my money myself.

Let me put it this way: ArenaNet is putting in content that is not for everyone.

Why?