Kudzu Barrage Disappointment

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Teknogeddon.4523

Teknogeddon.4523

This will be me griping about my legendary. Yes, seriously.
I finally got my legendary longbow Kudzu and I’m very disappointed in one detail. I love the bow. Don’t get me wrong. It really is a minor little thing.

But seriously, if you’re going to make a projectile change, go all the way. I see my character shoot golden flower spears into the sky, and then they come back down as normal arrows on barrage. Gripe gripe gripe nag nag nag.

It’s not like this skin can be used on any other skills, just those 5 and Barrage is probably the heaviest graphic one. Why not just finish it up?

I’m just a bit disappointed is all. I probably sound silly.

Posted by: projectcedric.6951

projectcedric.6951

I don’t think it’s silly at all.

Given that the main point of Legendaries is purely for aesthetic purposes, Its very reasonable to complain about it not serving its purpose when you have invested much time and gold(time) to acquire it.

This is just the kind of half-assery that separates a good game from a top-notch game.

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

yes, and just because i have bifrost i want my ‘meteor shower’ to do this
no thanks i’ll pass

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: Artanis.4963

Artanis.4963

yes, and because i have bifrost i want my ‘meteor shower’ to do this
shut up and take my money

Fixed that for you. :-P

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

Thing is that is then changing how powers look not just the look of a weapon and then linking the new power look to the legendary attack while keeping the old power look at weapon separate.. It’s just easier to change the looks really

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

I think The Flameseeker Prophecies and Howler would like to have a word with you.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

Posted by: Mazreal Blackknight.1564

Mazreal Blackknight.1564

Because some of us learn how to properly play a ranger with a longbow. I also own kudzu and I agree, the half-azzed effort on the look of our skills is sad, I agree it’s one of the best looking weapons.

Teknogeddon.4523

I have always ran my longbow, the precursor was actually a gift from a friend before he quit the game. I run Longbow/GS and mostly stick to the longbow. However, this is not about my build or Mazreal’s build.

I really do love the bow. I am not a flashy, overloaded person so I’m actually okay with the lack of sparkle and glow effects as compared to dreamer. That being said I just wish that, like Dreamer, we got all our skills. If bifrost has a similar problem I can understand frustration there as well. It’s just a shame is all.

Off and on I have farmed this legendary for two years. So I don’t take even the slightest graphical flaw lightly. I worked kitten it, despite being off and on. I would farm, take a break, come back, farm, take a break… and yesterday after all that work I finally finished it. Lord knows I was not backing out then haha. The first thing I did was shoot off an arrow and murder some poor defenseless creature (and the daily was ambient slayer! Go me!) I then proceeded to drop barrage, expecting a bunch of golden arrows sticking out of the ground at the very least and man was I disappointed.

I created this to draw attention to the slight annoyance of working so hard, and so long on a beautiful bow with beautiful effects only to have it smeared with such a simple error. I felt a similar disappointment with my white cat mini, when it shakes its head, one of it’s eyes does not completely close making it appear slightly kitten y for a small amount of time. I have come to like this irregularity but I doubt I will with Kudzu.

So I created this to express my disappointment and displeasure and see if there were others who could get behind me to make it more aware to the GM overlords. They heard the complaints about the spear not being straight, so perhaps this is something they can fix in the next big legendary patch.

Just for the love of god don’t touch my footfall. I looove my flowery norn of flowerness.
Here. Have a screenie of me and my brand new Kudzu. It still has Forge slobber all over it. Just ignore my moa Chokeabo. I just wanted some extra ferocity.

Attachments:

Posted by: Kibazuka.1390

Kibazuka.1390

Doesnt matter how properly you learned to use weapon, you will still be miles behind an equally skilled ranger using any of the other weapons. The weapon is bad in every aspect and mode of the game. But well, if you just like to use the weapon its totally ok and the look is clearly a subjective thing.
It also doesnt matter how long it took you to get it since most others get it in about a month, so thats what the weapons quality is worth.

I am happy that the aoe doesnt have a special effect, it would be horrible in wvw because of yet another added effects and even in teamfights in tpvp. It would be annoying, hinder the ability to see and for some persons probably also decrease the performance.
There is a reason the AOEs in this game dont have that legendary poop effects slapped all over them and its a good reason.

I mean, my legendary clipps with freaking itself, what am i supposed to feel. :c

Ranger – Drakkar Lake[DE]
Full melee Ranger since August 2012

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

The first thing I did was shoot off an arrow and murder some poor defenseless creature (and the daily was ambient slayer! Go me!) I then proceeded to drop barrage, expecting a bunch of golden arrows sticking out of the ground at the very least and man was I disappointed.

It took me a while to make Kudzu as well and I would love to at least have some flowers included in the barrage even if it isn’t a full on arrows are flowers like the other skills.

However, the reason Barrage arrows aren’t different is because they’re not technically a projectile as the other skills are. It is an AoE skill. Barrage cannot be reflected back at you so the projectile change for our legendary does not apply.

Side note: reflecting unicorns back at the source is hilarious…..as is the throwing unicorns for the downed skill. XD

Posted by: Illustrious Fox.7196

Illustrious Fox.7196

However, the reason Barrage arrows aren’t different is because they’re not technically a projectile as the other skills are. It is an AoE skill. Barrage cannot be reflected back at you so the projectile change for our legendary does not apply.

I think it has more to do with the fact that there is a difference between attack animations and actual skill animations. In the case of barrage the projectiles leaving the bow are classified as attacks and as such are affected by the particle effects, whereas the projectiles hitting the ground are classified as the animation for the actual skill.

According to the logic of the OP, if a necro equips Meteorlogicus and uses Grasping Dead we should no longer see hands springing from the ground. Instead we should see smoke and electricity or some other effects that detract from the actual skill animation.

The last thing I would ever want to do is defend this company, but what people fail to understand is that some level of readability has to exist for these skills.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I think it has more to do with the fact that there is a difference between attack animations and actual skill animations. In the case of barrage the projectiles leaving the bow are classified as attacks and as such are affected by the particle effects, whereas the projectiles hitting the ground are classified as the animation for the actual skill.

According to the logic of the OP, if a necro equips Meteorlogicus and uses Grasping Dead we should no longer see hands springing from the ground. Instead we should see smoke and electricity or some other effects that detract from the actual skill animation.

The last thing I would ever want to do is defend this company, but what people fail to understand is that some level of readability has to exist for these skills.

I completely agree, some level of readability does need to be maintained for the skills. And that does make sense on the skill animation versus skill type.

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

People are allowed to complain about things that annoy them without fear of being ridiculed by strangers on the internet.

Sure they’re allowed to, but that still won’t stop other people from ridiculing them :P

Teknogeddon.4523

May I please remind people this topic is not about builds, it is not about weapon choice. This is about Kudzu and the AoE effect, which I understand is an AoE effect. Regardless, I am disappointed because you do see the golden spears go into the air. It’s almost like a failure to continue the idea.

Like I said before, Kudzu is a longbow. This projectile only works on Kudzu. They already redid every arrow. I don’t want an explosion of flowers when they hit the ground like BAM FINAL FANTASY EIGHT FLOWERSPLOSION. I just want the arrows to look the same. They already have a flowery effect when they land on an enemy, that would be enough for me. Golden spears.

Unlike Bifrost’s meteor shower, you actually continue to see the arrows in an almost unmoving state. You can get a really clear shot of them and I, personally, would like to see the golden spear effect on those same arrows.

For the third time, this is only on Kudzu. We only have those 5 skills and no other weapon has barrage. If you’re going to overhaul the arrows — do all of them. This includes the aoe. I throw spears when I go down just like a dreamer throws ponies.

Posted by: Kibazuka.1390

Kibazuka.1390

The resolution on these flowerspearwhatever things is already a great bit higher than the standard arrow model. Just changing these is already a huge deal.
You also cant do this because then bifrost users would come saying stuff like “Longbow ranger get this and that on their aoe why cant we get..” and the problems are starting.
Meteor Shower is also nothing more than fire balls, just like the auto, yet it doesnt change with having bifrost.

Ranger – Drakkar Lake[DE]
Full melee Ranger since August 2012

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

My complaint is that it’s a mainhand legendary & doesn’t give you a bodily glowing aura like all the rest of the mainhand legendaries.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

At least you get to use Kudzu. /jellythief

Ugh, if only I could grace the world with detonating dandylion bombs in the sky.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Bittie.6274

Bittie.6274

+1 for awareness.

It would be great to have this skill updated with the effects of kudzu if you’re using the bow. I know for warriors no matter what skill they use the particle effects from kudzu effects their longbow skills. I hope a dev will see this and make a change to it sometime. I like the thought of being able to rain down flowers and bolts of sunshine on my enemies. ^^

Le Bittie
No bro, that ain’t me. I ain’t about that life.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

Aye, first thing I thought when I got Kudzu was “Maaaaann normal barrage?!”

Then they updated the legendaries and I was like “Maaaaaan still normal barrage?!”

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Teknogeddon.4523

I’m good with having no body aura. It would be neat to see the golden patterns on the bow go up our arms or faces. Maybe change our eyes to gold when fighting? That’d be neat. We’d match the little dryad on it. A gold aura to me would be excessive an icky.
I just want my arrows really. ^^;

(edit: Lol)

(edited by Teknogeddon.4523)

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

(edit: I.c.k.y is a cussword? I’m leaving that because it amuses me)

In your case, your “Icky” followed a “D.”

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Teknogeddon.4523

(edit: I.c.k.y is a cussword? I’m leaving that because it amuses me)

In your case, your “Icky” followed a “D.”

Oh lol. That’s silly.